Haven't felt the baby move in 2 days....should I be worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 19 weeks along, and for the last several weeks have been feeling very definate 'baby' movement, little feet, bumps, ect.
In the past 2 days, I have not been able to feel the baby move. I've had some ramdom little feelings, but nothing like the clearly defined movements that I had been feeling, so I don't know if it was the baby or just digestion/gas.
I don't remember this happening with my daughter, but that was over 3 years ago and I may have forgotten.
I'm starting to get worried. I've tried drinking juice, lying on my side, but nothing seems to be getting the baby moving.
Should I be worrying and considering calling the Dr. , or is this normal? Any insight or experiances would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 01:20 AM

I about the same amount of weeks and I was feeling babe move a lot a few weeks ago but now I hardly feel a thing... at this stage I think it is completely normal because they are still so small and it depends on their position...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#3 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 01:49 AM

Same thing here. I started to feel the baby move about the same time every day for 4 days straight, then nothing. I did rent an at home doppler and listened to the heartbeat, and baby seems fine. I did notice, though, when I felt movement, his heartbeat was on my right side and now that I'm not feeling movement, his heartbeat is on my left side.

Sooo, maybe the positioning does play a part in what we can feel. Also, I am in between 17 and 18 weeks so maybe we are just early yet to be feeling regular movement.
btw, I have not had my gender u/s yet, I just keep referring to him as a "he" lol just a feeling I guess!
#4 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 AM

Yeah. I do not have "daily" consistant movements until like 24 wks. Not that I don't get a tiny bit worried when I have not felt something in a couple of day. But, I try not to stress over it and just wait a few more days. It always comes back.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#5 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 10:31 AM

Going through same thing. I remember the same thing from my first pregnancy -- sometimes babies get really quiet, or sit funny, or sleep a lot, and it can be alarming. But -- especially this early -- it doesn't mean something awful has happened. (This is what I keep telling myself, while willing the baby to give me a little kick!)

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#6 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 10:54 AM

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't feel movement every day. Sometimes I'll go a few days where I feel something every day, and then, a few days where at most I might feel one tiny flutter that I can't be sure about.

I have an ultrasound next week, so hopefully everything will be fine. I'm 21 weeks now--for those of you who've done this before, about how far along do you *really* feel kicks and such, rather than just a "tickle" feeling?

Emily
Married 7/26/2008 -:- Remembering Joseph *10/9/2009* and two other losses since 9/08 -:- Expectingenergy.gif mid-September.

#7 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 AM

Even with the two babies, I will go a couple days without feeling them (I have two anterior placentas).

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#8 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 11:51 AM

I asked my midwife about this at my last appointment this week. She said it is very normal at this point to go a day or two without feeling much movement. They don't start asking you to do kick counts or otherwise pay attention to how much movement until after 24 weeks or so I think.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#9 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Me too! I think the reason I am feeling so impatient is that when I was this big with DS I was already 6.5 months...I feel Like at 19 weeks I am the same size as I was when I felt Ds kicking around, but actually that was about five weeks later...

I feel like I am getting all the stretch and discomfort without any of the fun kicks and reminders that he is in there. Kind of a bummer, no?

Then I'll feel a swish or a push that is definitely baby, but nothing consistent.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#10 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 02:14 PM

With this baby, I feel nothing for 4-5 days, then lots of movement for 2 days. He just has VERY long "resting" periods

With my first baby, I was feeling steady movement for about 2 weeks- 17 weeks to 19 weeks- every day, several times throughout the day. Then it just stopped for almost a week.

I called my midwife in a panic and she said not to worry about it- they don't worry about inconsistent movement until at LEAST 24 weeks because the baby is still small enough that they can just get turned around and be kicking towards your back (or whatever) where you can't feel them.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#11 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 PM

ANother depends on where baby is comment It just depends on what I am doing & how focused I am.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#12 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 04:46 PM

I don't feel my baby move every day, either.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#13 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Well, feelings are feelings and it's ok to have any of them...so I wouldn't tell you not to worry.

BUT...

I don't worry about stuff like that since I barely ever feel my bean moving around.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#14 of 21 Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I didn't start feeling Grayson move on a more consistent basis until 20 weeks, I think. That's when the stronger movements started. I have an AP. I'm 22 weeks now and if I suddenly noticed a lack of movement I would get worried. He's pretty active and has been for a couple weeks. I have a doppler that provides me reassurance if I start to get worried.

I will say that if I had an uneasy feeling then I would want to get checked out. A lady in a pg loss/stillbirth group I visit that was due this Dec only noticed lack of movement part of one day. She checked the baby's heart beat Friday morning and it was there. She stopped feeling him move later that morning, I believe. Didn't feel movement the rest of the day. When she went to use her doppler the next morning she couldn't find his heart beat. It was confirmed later that evening that he had passed away. Her intuition was that he was gone and she was right. She was just shy of 25 weeks. She lost her daughter just over a year ago at 24 weeks, so she was more aware of the lack of movement and all.

I know a lot of times lack of movement before 28 weeks can be brushed off. Sometimes it can appear to be normal or it can be chalked up to the baby sleeping or something. If you ever have a feeling something isn't right or you know your baby's movements have decreased and it isn't normal for your baby, I would get checked out. I know all too well what that gut feeling is and when you just know.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#15 of 21 Old 08-24-2009, 12:23 AM

For me at this point, I go through more days of babe not moving than I do with him moving. I started to worry but then I remembered that I went through this exact thing at 18 weeks with my son who's now 15 months old. I hadn't felt him move in a few days so i went to the drs and he said because babes are still so small and there's so much fluid, it's very common to go days without feeling movement and also if babe is facing your back you'll feel almost nothing because his kicks aren't strong enough yet.
But to ease your worries, why don't you call your midwife or make an appt with your dr? Nothing will ease your worries better than listening to the glorious sound of yoour babe's heart beat.

#16 of 21 Old 08-24-2009, 03:32 PM

just to add to this, right after posting in response here, baby started moving around a ton and was extremely active all day yesterday and overnight. kids!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#17 of 21 Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM

i think, not only does positioning play a part (of babe and of placenta), but i've noticed a trend with regards to growth spurts. my babies have had a tendency to be fairly quiet a couple days a week, usually around the 'rollover' day (when you go from 'week 18' to 'week 19', KWIM?). next thing you know, the belly's bigger, the movements are a bit more defined...signs to me that babe had a growth spurt.

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#18 of 21 Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM

You probably shouldn't be worried, but if I were in the same boat I would be worried too. I'm 19 weeks and feel the baby everyday (not to say everyone who is 19 weeks should/does, this is just me). There was one day I realized I hadn't felt anything all day long and it really scared me. I drank a cup of OJ before bed and layed awake watching TV until almost 1am when I finally felt some movement. Had I not felt anything before I fell asleep I probably would have called my midwife the next morning. Hope that little one is wiggling all over for you by now and you're ok

Christina, mom to Alaina, Addison, Noah, and Magdalyn
#19 of 21 Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mamas, thank you all for your support and comments. they made me feel alot better. I have a Dr. visit and ultrasound today to check on things, but I felt the baby move last night, so I have a feeling everything is ok!

#20 of 21 Old 08-26-2009, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

I had an ultrasound today. The baby is transverse, and I have an anterior placenta, both things that can make it harder to feel movement.
however, his little heartbeat is strong, and the Dr. says he's doing good!:
#21 of 21 Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 AM

That is wonderful! It is always nice to take a peek, though when you are worried. Very reassuring.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page