Anyone Shopping? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 08-28-2009, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use a "hanging pail" wetbag from thegoodmama.com. We have two, one is always clean and one is typically in the wash or accumulating dirties. It's the same idea as a pail liner - it keeps your messy diapers contained, and you throw it in the machine with the diapers, but it has a hanging loop and functions as a pail as well, so there's no garbage can or diaper pail to scrub out. We keep ours hanging on the back of the bathroom doorknob.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#32 of 53 Old 08-28-2009, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you both for the ideas on the pail(s). I love the idea of doing two hanging pails because I think I might be able to make them more discreet in the house for the same price as two trashcans and two liners. I'll put them on my list; I have time to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMamaToBe View Post
There's a good discussion of why people don't cloth diaper (or have given up) going on the main parenting forum right now. Some people do find it's too much work, but me, I am a bit weird, and I don't really mind laundry.

Yeah, I started to read it. It scared me even more, especially because of the clothing (size) factor. Hah.

Last night I was checking out bulk disposable diapers and beyond the environmental reasons for choosing cloth (which I believe to be beneficial), disposables are a money suck.
#33 of 53 Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Dea

I'm searching for an adjustable sling, but not a ring sling. I saw one that has a couple rows of snaps, does anyone know what it's called?
Also if this baby is a boy (I find out on Monday) there will be some shopping. And I want more wool for this baby. I have plenty for Trixie now, but it's too hot and it doesn't help with a newborn! Oh and more gowns. I love gowns!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#34 of 53 Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 PM

I think I am going to start this pay period, culturally we aren't supposed to get a lot of stuff so early, but I am starting to freak out about the costs of buying it all at one time!

Diapering is probably going to be my first priority...strategizing my stash and hoping to get a good amount on craigslist and ebay (maybe possible if I start now!) since we are so broke right now.

Also hitting up some second hand baby spots and garage sales AND was just invited to a Kid's Clothes Swap that some local mamas are doing. My friend who is organizing it says its ok that I come without anything to swap cuz noone else is pregnant and they have maternity wear and newborn stuff...excited for that!

But no new stuff till December at the earliest! That way I am still respecting the cultural taboo in a way!
#35 of 53 Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 AM

I can't help but start shopping...

This is a fun thread, it's interesting to see everyone else's line of thought.

I just finished prepping my new newborn organic prefolds--I am so excited about them! I still need to buy (diapering wise) small size prefolds (gave away our newborn and small dipes because we didn't like them, so we need all new stuff), newborn longies, and small wool soakers. I've made a few from recyked sweaters, but plan to buy some knitted ones, too (mostly from friends). Still waiting on the gender to decide on styles.

I need a new wrap. I may just get some material and make one. I loaned mine out and never got it back.

Other than a new wipes warmer (ours crapped out), there is nothing else we really NEED, but as money permits, things I want are:

-new clothes (preferably organic, but I'll bargain shop...and we really only need shirts since we are doing wool), if it's a girl
-new wipes. Nothing wrong with what we've got, but my son is out of diapers and we still find uses for all his wipes. I kind of don't want to give them up!
-wood rattles and toys. We didn't switch to no plastic till my son's first birthday or so.
-some Montessori infant toys (mostly from etsy)

Yeah, so I'm probably in the I want to buy a lot club. :
#36 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 AM

X Post in Feb:

I love the ideas--but you missed the ultimate--CRAIGSLIST!!

Baby due Jan 24 (but my last child was 17 days past EDD) and I picked up a (don't flame me--it's for the sitter--don't flame me again) stroller, pack n play, mattress, sheets, covers, blankets all in great condition for $60. The $2-3 clothes are out en masse and my in-law just had twin boy and girl (I don't know what I'll have--definetly a BABY).

Now I'm on Craigslist looking for a wrap (didymos style) or I'll make one of those but I'm soooooooo bad at that and a babyhawk type MeiTai, found hypnobabies and car seats (no accident sold by EMT with twins--if you can't trust the EMT to get a good seat--who can you trust).

I think I'm done except for diapers and Homebirth stuff.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#37 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMamaToBe View Post
We use a "hanging pail" wetbag from thegoodmama.com. We have two, one is always clean and one is typically in the wash or accumulating dirties. It's the same idea as a pail liner - it keeps your messy diapers contained, and you throw it in the machine with the diapers, but it has a hanging loop and functions as a pail as well, so there's no garbage can or diaper pail to scrub out. We keep ours hanging on the back of the bathroom doorknob.
Oh man I TOTALLY second this idea!!! We did the traditional pail for awhile and when I switched to a hanging wetbag it was amazing. I have a WAHMIES All-Day wetbag and it has a zippered opening and a doorknob handle. We have a hook in our shower and I hung it up there. Goodbye stink!! And WAY easier to dump into our front loading washer--trying to dump a diaper pail was a little messy :LOL

Another cool thing is now that we are no longer using CDs, we can use the wetbag for things like going to the beach, camping, etc--any time that we might need to tote around wet clothes/suits/towels/etc.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#38 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
Oh man I TOTALLY second this idea!!! We did the traditional pail for awhile and when I switched to a hanging wetbag it was amazing. I have a WAHMIES All-Day wetbag and it has a zippered opening and a doorknob handle. We have a hook in our shower and I hung it up there. Goodbye stink!! And WAY easier to dump into our front loading washer--trying to dump a diaper pail was a little messy :LOL

Another cool thing is now that we are no longer using CDs, we can use the wetbag for things like going to the beach, camping, etc--any time that we might need to tote around wet clothes/suits/towels/etc.

Yeah, I actually checked out the hanging wet bag and it looks like it's a "trashcan" + liner in one, so this is what I'm going to use. My concern is the cost - $60 for two. Yikes!

I see the WAHMIES All Day bag is less expensive, though it is smaller. I may have to go for the less expensive.

#39 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post
Yeah, I actually checked out the hanging wet bag and it looks like it's a "trashcan" + liner in one, so this is what I'm going to use. My concern is the cost - $60 for two. Yikes!
There's a chick on etsy that sells her wetbags with two liners and one cotton outer shell. You snap in the liners and wash them as needed...I want to say they were something like $25. I haven't bought one, but there are options.

Since we're on the topic, can you guys link me to the products you use to wash your wool? Anything better than Lanisoh? Any soap you like?

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#40 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 12:29 PM

I bought one big thing and that was our van. I Never in my entire life thought I'd drive (and LOVE) a mini-van but I do. I do I do I do! lol

I have also been buying cloth diapers. My son was in prefolds as a newborn but we donated most of them to an orphanage in Haiti so I need new n/b diapers. I did buy about 10 one-size diapers to make life easier but I'm not a big fan of one size dipes.. give me some luxebaby fitteds or some ME bamboo sandy's with a luxebaby wooly soaker and I'm a happy momma. I did buy a thirsties fab fitted and I liked it so I may buy more of those along with some prefolds for the n/b stage. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to use a wool cover for a ebf newborn though!

I don't need any of the big stuff, although I want to buy a lazyboy chair and a bigger dresser. I was going to keep ds in a crib but he's made the transition to a mattress on the floor (and sleeps WAY better now!) but I'll need some clothing as both my children are late spring babes.
Oh, and I need a new baby carrier. Probably a ring sling. Am trying to think about how to go for walks and such with a newborn and a 20 month old without buying a double stroller.

#41 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 12:33 PM

I use Eucalan (http://www.eucalan.com/) in lavender but I've been seeing some very yummy scented wool washes with lanolin on etsy like cotton candy that I've been wanting to try. I need to find a good wool wash bar though for spot cleanung.

#42 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
There's a chick on etsy that sells her wetbags with two liners and one cotton outer shell. You snap in the liners and wash them as needed...I want to say they were something like $25. I haven't bought one, but there are options.

Since we're on the topic, can you guys link me to the products you use to wash your wool? Anything better than Lanisoh? Any soap you like?
Thank you.

I'm useless on wool. I am too scared to even entertain wool.
#43 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Here's the etsy lady with the mulitple liners - http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php..._desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title - she must be new with practically no feedback, but it's worth a shot.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#44 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 06:47 PM

I use ewe need it wool washes from hyenacart. Her smells are amazing! I got a whole box of tiny leftovers to put as a freebie with woolies that I send out and they make the packages (and my bathroom!) smell AMAZING!
#45 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 PM

I also like Eucalan and Northern Essence (http://www.northernessence.com/). Their liquid lanolin is SO great too, so much easier to use than dissolving solid! They have nice solid bars that are great for spot cleans as well.

Mulvah, when your LO is three or four months old, you've got to give wool a try...some of those pull-on wool covers. I was really intimidated too and now I'm totally in love. They're so much more comfortable for DD around the house than plastic covers (if using a cover at all) and bonus, she can't take them off (yet). It's so much easier than it sounds!
#46 of 53 Old 09-04-2009, 12:43 AM

Oh my! those are some yummy scents at Ewe Need It! I just love hyena cart!

Thanks for the link that sells the solid bars, I really need to get one!

Mulvah.. I too was terrified of wool but it's handsdown my favourite cover. I have 5 (well 4 as I think I lost one in the move) and they work so well. If Parker has a bit of a diaper rash, I'll put a wool cover over his dipe when I can't let him run round naked and it almost always goes away. Plus they're just so cute!

#47 of 53 Old 09-04-2009, 02:59 AM

Last time I was shopping at Target in active labor, so in order to avoid that this time, I'm starting early.
#48 of 53 Old 09-04-2009, 11:17 AM

I'm going to need to get a few bath and body things, like Calendula lotion, but other than that, I have absolutely everything in the basement. We're just working on bringing it up and sorting it out. It's fun, and free.
#49 of 53 Old 09-04-2009, 02:04 PM

It's been on my mind a LOT -- I've picked up clothes at garage sales, but I'm obsessing over our big ticket items, like another carseat, a double stroller, and what kind of "big girl" bed we want to get for my daughter (we are thinking trundle bed?). I don't know how we'll afford it all. To be honest, I'd also really like to a buy a house .

I'm also really eager to get our closet cleared out (DH is going to move his stuff into our spare bedroom so we can have all the kids' stuff and my stuff in our bedroom) so I can unpack clothes and generally get organized in that way. Seems early to "nest" but I know I'd better do it while I have the energy .

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#50 of 53 Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 PM

I bought a car seat yesterday DH's first reaction was "Isn't it a little early?" But it was an AWESOME deal a TrueFit for $99 and $5 shipping
#51 of 53 Old 09-04-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagonia View Post
I bought a car seat yesterday DH's first reaction was "Isn't it a little early?" But it was an AWESOME deal a TrueFit for $99 and $5 shipping
Where did you find that? I bought a True Fit for ds for over $200 with taxes and shipping.

#52 of 53 Old 09-04-2009, 02:53 PM

Blue and black Britax Companion for $95. It is beautiful!!

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#53 of 53 Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 AM

I have bought almost everything I need already

purchased almost everything from craigslist, ebay or diaperswappers...
infant car seat
double stroller (this was my best deal at www.strollerreturns.com)
dresser
winter clothes (my first is a spring baby)
bundle me
newborn diaper stash

we would be ready for her tomorrow

two girls for us! 04.23.07 & 01.17.10...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page