glucose tolerance test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone doing/done the glucose tolerance screen this time around? I took the one hour fasting last week (fasting level drawn, drink the glucola, re-draw one hour laster). I passed the fasting, but "failed" the one hour. So tomorrow I am set to do the three hour test. Not looking forward to it actually. Sigh.

No GD in either previous pregnancy. I am older, still holding onto previous pregnancy pounds, had a baby over 9 lbs.... and I was measuring a couple weeks ahead per one midwifes measurement, so my hands-off midwife talked with me about doing an early GD screen (at 24 weeks) and a growth U/S at 27 weeks. I agreed. Sigh.

Now I know it's possible that I will pass the test tomorrow, sans problems at all. BUT I can't help worry that if I do not pass what this will mean in terms of the "watch on me" as I go for my second VBAC. I really, really, really would like to avoid a repeat section (GD or not). Sigh.

Not sure I have a question, other than looking for BTDT type responses....

Of course in the grand scheme of things, failed screenings and facing a c-section are of course not the worst of things, but I know you all "get" the drive for hands-off pregnancy and birth more than the mainstream world.
#2 of 18 Old 09-27-2009, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Like the glucola drink? No. My midwife doesn't routinely test her clients. Only if they want to or if there are risk factors for gestational IGT. I reject the GD label and everything associated with it.

I do test my glucose at home at least every other day. Next week I'm going to test my fasting glucose and carb load (eat a nice hearty breakfast and test two hours later) over a period of a few days. Just to give me an idea how my body is metabolizing glucose. Since I've been monitoring I've not had any problems with glucose intolerance.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#3 of 18 Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 PM

SKipping the test, but you can eat 24 Brach's jelly beans (has to be Brach's brand though) to get the same results as the glucola drink.

I'm 38 & will be 39 when I birth. I have no symptoms of GD & have small babies (5-11 & 6-4).

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#4 of 18 Old 09-27-2009, 05:27 PM

I am doing the three hour tomorrow, as well.

I have no worries about passing it, I have never failed any GD test. But, my OB thinks I have had it without knowing it (she is just scared, so I figure taking the test will alieviate her fears).

I have "risks", if you want to call them that. I am older, I am a bit over weight, I have had two babies over 9 pounds, etc. I do not have sugar problems, though.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#5 of 18 Old 09-27-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I am doing the three hour tomorrow, as well.

I have no worries about passing it, I have never failed any GD test. But, my OB thinks I have had it without knowing it (she is just scared, so I figure taking the test will alieviate her fears).

I have "risks", if you want to call them that. I am older, I am a bit over weight, I have had two babies over 9 pounds, etc. I do not have sugar problems, though.
Well good luck to you tomorrow am, Kidzaplenty! I personally will be shocked if mine comes back as out of normal range. Shocked.
#6 of 18 Old 09-27-2009, 06:34 PM

I will be doing the test. I haven't scheduled it yet just because I haven't seen my OB in 6 weeks due to scheduling conflicts. He will probably want me to take it within the next 2 weeks. He suspects that I had GD in my last pg but it wasn't detected. I am kind of nervous about it in regards to how it would affect his opinions on my VBAC plans, but not too much. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Good luck on the 3 hour!

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#7 of 18 Old 09-27-2009, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No BTDT advice, but I am going to be using 10 oz. 100% fruit juice instead of the orange drink. I would actually skip it, but my midwives do not allow it.

I hope everything goes well on your next test!
#8 of 18 Old 09-27-2009, 07:46 PM

I don't take the glucose tolerance test. I will test my blood sugar at home, for a week while eating as I normally do.

Caefi
#9 of 18 Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caefi View Post
I don't take the glucose tolerance test. I will test my blood sugar at home, for a week while eating as I normally do.

Amy

Wife to K since 6/95 Mommy to "The Fellas" ages 13, 10 and 8 and our rainbow girly 12/09.
Always remembering my babies who could not stay '08 '08 '09
#10 of 18 Old 09-28-2009, 12:57 PM

I won't be taking the test.

But good luck to you!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#11 of 18 Old 09-28-2009, 09:00 PM

I actually just left the practice we were seeing due to disagreements over the gtt and the risks with the results of it. My test was scheduled for this week, but I am switching to a homebirth midwife that has similar philosophy as we do. She does a standard hemoglobin test at 28 weeks and will do a random post-prandial at that time. I'm good with that.

married to my best friend since july of '93... mama to sage, who came when the pumpkins came in '05... and logan, who came with the hoar frost in january '10
#12 of 18 Old 09-30-2009, 12:18 AM

I'll be going in at 26 weeks to do the test. My midwife said it was completely up to me whether or not to get it done. I do have risk factors such as being overweight and having two over 9lb babies. I'm having it done at 26 weeks along with some other blood work so that at my 28 week appt my m/w will know how much Rhogam (I think that's what the meds are called, can't remember right now) to give me.

Plus (and yes I know I don't win mother of the year award for this, haha) an hour to sit in a room all by myself away from work, no kids and no husband is my idea of bliss. I don't care if the drink tastes awful! lol

#13 of 18 Old 09-30-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakims View Post
Plus (and yes I know I don't win mother of the year award for this, haha) an hour to sit in a room all by myself away from work, no kids and no husband is my idea of bliss. I don't care if the drink tastes awful! lol
Now, I wish my test was like that! I had the pleasure of taking my test and waiting in a small, fluidly crowded waiting room with two children (of mine), one of which included a very cranky 14 month old! And included a screaming fit every time I left the room to have my blood drawn! (For the three hour test I get the "fun" of being stuck four times!) I could not even enjoy my book, as my LO would not let me read!

Oh well! But hey! I passed!

Not that I expect to fail, I never have, but it is still nice to hear "you passed".

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#14 of 18 Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

Oh well! But hey! I passed!

Not that I expect to fail, I never have, but it is still nice to hear "you passed".
Agreed! I also passed my three hour (which somehow ends up being four in real time) test as well. Good luck to the mamas choosing to take the test. To the mamas opting out, congratulations as well. I believe it's all about making informed decisions on behalf of ourselves and our babies and in the end we can each make different "best" decisions.

Sheesh! Can't believe third trimester is right around the corner! Now where did I put my list of things to do....
#15 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 PM

I did my one hour today. My OB is pretty laid back about it. He sends you home with the drink. You call the office tell them you are going to drink then show up an hour later for the blood draw. I was able to do it first thing this morning so the whole fasting thing wasn't even that bad. I wound up having breakfast about a half hour later than normal.
#16 of 18 Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 PM

I am planning on doing the GTT test, but it won't happen till 28 weeks, and I am only 23 weeks now, so not for awhile yet. Hope all goes well for all of you!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#17 of 18 Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 PM

dp has the gtt at her next ob appt, so at 28 weeks or so. we know she doesn't have insulin resistance - our ob tested for that at her first appt as our re suspected she had a closet case of pcos and had her on metformin from ttc thru 12 weeks. her dad has type 2 diabetes but that was likely caused by his years of abusing alcohol.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#18 of 18 Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 AM

I get to do the orange drink thing tomorrow morning--I suspect because my last appointment I'd gained 10 pounds in 4 weeks, and the baby's growth had accelerated. This is my first, but 9 pound babies are common in my family, so hopefully nothing comes up--I'm already on modified bed rest as it is.

Oh, and starting this morning I get to do the 24 hour urine collection. That'll be really fun taking in the cab to the appointment... (I'm going to get a nice opaque bag to put the jug in...) Hopefully that'll also not come up with anything of interest...

Emily
Married 7/26/2008 -:- Remembering Joseph *10/9/2009* and two other losses since 9/08 -:- Expectingenergy.gif mid-September.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page