Caffeine? How much are you allowing yourself? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't have coffee daily but sometimes it seems like I might be taking in too much. It is kinda every other day or so I have couple of cups of coffee. With my first I let myself have something every once in a while and with my second a little more often. Today I mixed half and half caffeine and decaf coffee together and had a couple of cups. Yesterday I had a few cups too. I will allow myself a fountain coke once a week right now and no more. How much caffeine is everyone else consuming?

Angie wife to Joe and Mom to Lucas(10) and Alex (7), Elizabeth (4), Joey (2), and #5 due May 29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I drink a couple morning cups daily, have done my entire pregnancy.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#3 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 PM

1 cup of coffee in the morning, and iced tea either with lunch or dinner. I try and drink no more than 2 cups of caffiene a day, which I have heard is safe.
#4 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM

I have a cup of coffee nearly every day. Sometimes DH doesn't leave me any in the pot and I don't make a new one just so I can have a cup.

Coffee has other properties that are actually really good for you and your baby. I think the fear of caffeine is overrated. Coffee is also very high in antioxidants. The only thing that I have really read is that you should keep the caffeine consumption below 300mg/day.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#5 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 PM

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning every day. Occasionally I'll have a cup of tea in the afternoon (like once a week). Even more rarely,I'll have a glass of Coke/Pepsi when I'm out & about. I try to not drink soda in general, and have found when pregnant that it really fills my stomach up and I don't want to eat my meal.

I think coffee is good for us, and that it's gotten a bad rap for some reason. Maybe because some people tend to drink 2 pots a day?? Anyways, look at the countries it comes from, the people there have drank coffee for a long time and they are happy and healthy. That's just my opinion without any research to back it up

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
#6 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 PM

I'll have an occasional cup of tea or green tea. But I will drink up to two cups of decaf coffee a day...and that stuff has caffeine! I'd say once every 4 days I have a cup, and on really bad days I may have two. Mostly I avoid caffeine because it makes the baby kick.
#7 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I feel so much better!! This is just the most I have ever had during pregnancy so I wanted to be sure I was not over doing it on the caffeine area.

Angie wife to Joe and Mom to Lucas(10) and Alex (7), Elizabeth (4), Joey (2), and #5 due May 29
#8 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 PM

found this!

http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm

makes me feel a bit better. i typically only have a cup of coffee a day, but it varies on whether i do home-brewed or a latte or what, so now i have a better idea of how i'm doing

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#9 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 PM

I don't drink any.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#10 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM

I have one mug of coffee about 4 times a week. I treat myself to a Diet Coke on occasion, if I am picking up some fast food or out shopping, which is maybe twice a month. If I am ordering in a restaurant or somewhere where I am capable of choosing decaf/caffeine free over regular, I always get decaf.

Once the baby is born I will do like I did with my previous newborns and cut out the coffee completely until the baby is older. But I'll still have the occasional Diet Coke.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#11 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinneyah View Post
found this!

http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm

makes me feel a bit better. i typically only have a cup of coffee a day, but it varies on whether i do home-brewed or a latte or what, so now i have a better idea of how i'm doing
Yeah that helps to see how much is in a serving of coffee. I am doing just for sure.

#12 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acordio View Post
How much caffeine is everyone else consuming?
I have one cup of black tea daily, plus chocolate occasionally.

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#13 of 31 Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 PM

Usually at least a 32 oz Diet Coke. Some days I will get decaf, but it depends on where I get it from.

Christina, mom to Alaina, Addison, Noah, and Magdalyn
#14 of 31 Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 AM

Just recently, I've gotten back into drinking a large cup of coffee each day (about 16 oz.). A few days ago I had 2 cups. I have no problem with drinking coffee throughout pregnancy, but my body doesn't like it at all the first half + of my pregnancies. Now with the cooler fall temps, dh has started brewing it every day and it's just so gosh darn good again!

I think the biggest reason to limit caffeine consumption in pregnancy is the chance of miscarriage if you consume too much (more than 2 cups of coffee daily), but we're all well past that stage of worry.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#15 of 31 Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 AM

I have a latte 2-3 times a week.
#16 of 31 Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 AM

I have at least 2 cups of tea each day. My last pregnancy I was super paranoid about it and didn't have any caffeine the entire pregnancy. This time, I won't deny myself a drink of something that I want just because it has caffeine in it. I don't drink much anyway even when I'm not pregnancy because I'm pretty sensitive to it. I couldn't make it through the entire day without some type of caffeine though.

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#17 of 31 Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 AM

i have a large iced tea every other day or so.

sadly, i lost my taste for beloved java in the 1st trimester and it just tastes bitter and yucky right now. sigh. i miss pumpkin spice lattes and peppermint mochas this time of year!

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#18 of 31 Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM

I only allow myself one beverage a day (soda/coffee), but most days I don't have any. For awhile I was having a cup of coffee every morning, but our coffee maker broke and I haven't been doing that anymore. Caffeine sometimes helps with my morning sickness in the beginning. But I'm also pretty sensitive to it and after more than two beverages in a single day I'm jittery and up all night.
#19 of 31 Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
Once the baby is born I will do like I did with my previous newborns and cut out the coffee completely until the baby is older. But I'll still have the occasional Diet Coke.
DD was not sensitive to caffeine so I had no problems drinking it after she was born. My friends were all jealous, their kids went crazy if they had even a small bit of chocolate. Since it isn't a daily habit anyway, I'll probably just do the same thing I did with DD after she was born and try some at some point if DS is fine, then I won't worry about it. If he has a reaction I won't drink it while BFing.
#20 of 31 Old 10-06-2009, 04:10 PM

As much as I feel like drinking...

I don't limit... but I also don't drink much either...

In the morning I pour myself a cup and often throw out half or more because I just don't drink it... DH makes it a few hours before when he goes to work and I don't like coffee when it is not fresh... I drink tea in the day but I am stuck on CC English Toffee lately and it has no caffeine but once in a while take a normal black tea also...

If we are out I often grab a few cups of coffee and I probably go over the "limit" but I honestly don't know, I love speciality coffees and I can't get them where I live... I also always get something for the road coming back because I often have at least 50 min of driving on a very boring highway that I need to stay awake on...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#21 of 31 Old 10-06-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
DD was not sensitive to caffeine so I had no problems drinking it after she was born. My friends were all jealous, their kids went crazy if they had even a small bit of chocolate. Since it isn't a daily habit anyway, I'll probably just do the same thing I did with DD after she was born and try some at some point if DS is fine, then I won't worry about it. If he has a reaction I won't drink it while BFing.
None of my kids have ever been real sensitive to caffeine. I will continue with a 1-2 cup a day habit after the baby is born.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#22 of 31 Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 PM

I have one GIANT mug of half decaf coffee in the mornings, and sometimes a cup of black tea in the afternoons.

I often don't finish my big mug though. DH doesn't drink coffee (it makes his tongue swell, oddly) and I can't seem to make smaller amounts of coffee taste right. I also can't not put all my coffee into a mug- I feel like I'm wasting it if I don't at least put it in a cup, even if most of that cup ends up down the drain

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#23 of 31 Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 PM

1-2 cups of coffee per day for me.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#24 of 31 Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post
As much as I feel like drinking...

I don't limit... but I also don't drink much either...
Yes, this.

I probably have 2-3 cups of coffee or tea a day. Rarely a coke at lunch. Nothing after 4-5 pm as then I don't sleep at night.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#25 of 31 Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 AM

I like their rules better. I bet if a midwife or Dr. told a French or Italien woman to quit the caffeine--he'd get a very fashionable high heel in the eye. Same with alcohol, same with sushi. The American culture of fear, gotta love it and then laugh at it.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#26 of 31 Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 PM

Probably an 8oz cup of coffee int he morning and a can (or two) of diet Coke during the day at some point. I space them out as much as possible and drink only water in between. It's the dehydration I worry about most.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#27 of 31 Old 10-08-2009, 01:07 PM

found this on the diuretic effect of caffeine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/he...on/04real.html

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#28 of 31 Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 PM

I drink 1-2 cups every morning, and avoid thereafter. That's what I did with my first pregnancy, too. The only thing I worry about is dehydration. I try to follow up the coffee(s) with water to make sure I don't get a ton of BH or something.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#29 of 31 Old 10-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I too consume caffeine almost daily. With my first I didn't drink any coffee until later in my pregnancy (never a big fan of coffee until then)! It sounded so good. While breastfeeding I had to be careful with caffeine - Yerba Mate seemed to bother him the worst. I like Yerba Mate (tea from South America) and good coffee/lattes. Just FYI - if you do get decaf make sure it is "Swiss water processed" (Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is the only chain I know of whose decaf coffee is processed this way) - otherwise the chemicals from the decaf process is worse than the caffeine IMO...

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#30 of 31 Old 10-09-2009, 08:57 AM

This was good to read. I generally don't drink much caffeine, with occasional hot chocolate being the exception. I have never liked anything coffee. However, the day we left for vacation last week, I found myself desperate for caffeine, as we were up and on the road by 4:45 a.m. By 8:30, I needed to stop at Starbucks! I ordered a hot chocolate with a shot of espresso, hoping that would help, and it did! I didn't like the taste of it at all at first, but was shocked that it grew on me. The links here were helpful for the caffeine info.

married to my best friend since july of '93... mama to sage, who came when the pumpkins came in '05... and logan, who came with the hoar frost in january '10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page