Ouch ouch ouch. . .Symphisis pain anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else have any symphisis pubis pain going on? I had to look it up because I didn't have it with baby #1. It's the cartilage joint where the pubic bone meets in the front, pregnancy horomones can cause it to loosen a bit too much and it can get really sore when weight is uneven on one leg or the other.

I guess mine is minor compared to some women, but dang! it hurts. It's been hurting for about 6-8 weeks now, the worst when I roll over in bed or try to stand on one leg to put pants on. Or stand up to get out of the car. Or getting off the toilet . Yesterday I did a yoga video with dd and all last night and today it hurts so much worse! I really love to do yoga, but I hope I'm not aggravating it?!

Anyone have this too? Any advice? I know the only real cure is to not be pregnant anymore, but I'm taking extra fish oils, I think they might help to lubricate the joint. Ouchy.

+ = and .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 PM

I had it so bad with my last pregnancy that towards the end it was almost debilitating. I was in such bad shape that time because I had such horrible round ligament pain that only got better from standing and then this which got better only from laying down. I spent a lot of time alternating standing with laying down with a hot pack between my legs. I never had it with the first seven kids

This time I have started to have it, but it isn't nearly as bad as last time. Of course I know it is still early. Sadly this time I found another remedy - this will sound insane, but laying on my side with my dh's knee rammed into my crotch. I know it sounds nuts, but I happened upon it one night while dh went to snuggle - just happened on accident and I realized the pain subsided so much. Now when it starts to act up I will either put heat in that area or my dh's knee if he is home LOL

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#3 of 28 Old 10-07-2009, 11:40 PM

I have it too and had it last time also...

I wrote a post a few weeks ago and there are some good tips in there from other posters

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=14402587

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#4 of 28 Old 10-07-2009, 11:44 PM

I'm ddc crashing here, but I saw your post. My Physical Therapist said to ice it. While there are stretches and modifications I can do for my back/leg nerve issues, there is really no way to stabilize that pubic symphisis area, so the goal is to bring the swelling down. It feels awkward to do, but it feels good in the end! Good luck!
#5 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 AM

That sounds awful! Sorry mama.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#6 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 PM

Yep, had it with all but my 1st pregnancy. It's gotten worse each time, however hasn't started full force yet this time around. Life saver for me was my osteopathic doctor and an SI joint belt. Helps hold those bones together b/c the problem is they are separating too much. That's where the pain comes from. Using the belt to hold them together minimizes a lot of my pain.

Christina, mom to Alaina, Addison, Noah, and Magdalyn
#7 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Yes, I'm definitely achy. Chiro helps -- and sitting with my legs together. Sometimes it feels like my kid's head is already halfway out .

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#8 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My pubic symphysis pain has just started to surface this time around (had it with my first too)...and although uncomfortable, it's never been super painful or debilitating. I usually notice it the most when I get up from bed in the middle of the night and in the morning. Very interested in looking into an SI joint belt - I know that my SI joints are chronically "loose" - especially my right. During the last month or so with my first pregnancy it was so irritated, and walking an hour a day plus yoga was the only thing that would get it to relax. Postpartum was really painful - my SI joints locked up and it took a couple weeks to release...Anyway, hadn't really thought about the SI connection with pubic symphysis pain - good to know!

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#9 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas ladies! Thanks for the previous posts, paxye. Very helpful, hope it doesn't get too much worse as time goes on. My midwife did tell me to get a support belt, so I will be looking into that. She also gave me the name of a good chiro so I might just have to suck it up and go .

+ = and .
#10 of 28 Old 10-09-2009, 02:44 PM

I am 26 weeks and this started for me about a week ago. I am amazed how much worse it has gotten just in a week. There are literally hours in the day when I can't even walk. I can only sit for small amounts of time. I wake up every night from pain. I feel like there is a knife in my pubic bone, not to mention the back pain and the large pops I endure several times a day!

My midwife won't take me very seriously, she just says "nothing you can do except not be pregnant". However, I have gotten a belt...does not help. I've gone to a chiropractor....does not help. It also doesn't help that I work a labor intensive job, on my feet for 12+ hrs. Right now I am trying to decide if I will keep working through the pain or try to go out on disability early, which can be a nightmare by itself. Plus the loss of partial income. This is baby #4, I think my body is saying I have pushed it enough!

Seems like this is not a very talked about thing. I can't find much information on it, and I certainly can't find very many people with it. Surely it isn't that rare. My thought is that it just isn't taken very seriously by the OB community at all. It does seem like a ridiculous problem, until you have to live with the pain.
#11 of 28 Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
My midwife won't take me very seriously, she just says "nothing you can do except not be pregnant".
Yeah, it took me totally pestering my first midwives to get them to do anything about it. They kept telling me I was having round ligament pain so I printed out a bunch of the info I found online and took it to an appointment with me. I think finally they just agreed b/c I was driving them crazy. The midwives I've been to with my last two pregnancies totally acknowledges it and got me right in to see an osteopathic doctor. As far as the belt goes, what kind to you have? The usual pregnacy supports don't go low enough to help. The SI belt is just a single strap, like an actual pants belt and I find that I have to wear mine a lot lower, straight arcross where the pubic symphisis is, for it to relieve some of the pain. Good luck with your work decision. I can't imagine being on my feet that much with this condition!

Christina, mom to Alaina, Addison, Noah, and Magdalyn
#12 of 28 Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 PM

Does anyone know if this can start early on? I'm only 15 weeks....and where I see it online it describes it as starting like 25 weeks or so.....???? But I think the pain/sensations I'm feeling match the description. I seem to recall this in my previous pregnancies but I think it was much later??? (My last pregnancy WAS over 10 years ago!)

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#13 of 28 Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmama View Post
My midwife won't take me very seriously, she just says "nothing you can do except not be pregnant".
Yup, I was never taken seriously either (by CNMs or OB). They just thought I was exaggerating the usual aches and pains of pregnancy.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#14 of 28 Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmom3 View Post
Does anyone know if this can start early on? I'm only 15 weeks....
Yes, it can. With my DS2 it started later on, around 28 weeks. Then with DD1 is started right around 15 weeks. They were almost 2 years apart, but I think I really pushed myself too much during my daughter's pregnancy. We didn't have a car and I would walk 2 miles one-way with the double stroller and then haul a week's worth of groceries up a flight of stairs in summer Houston temps, etc... Pregnancy after that I still overworked myself and got it around 25 weeks. I've been doing exercises this time and making sure to rest a couple times a day. Again we are without a car, but I'm sending the husband out more instead of trying to do it all and it keeps the SPD at bay for the most part - 29 weeks now.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#15 of 28 Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM

I know back pain is a part of pregnancy, but my tailbone hurts like crazy. Does that come with SPD?
#16 of 28 Old 10-13-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I know back pain is a part of pregnancy, but my tailbone hurts like crazy. Does that come with SPD?
Not to scare you, but this happened to me with my first....and my dd ended up being pressed up against my tailbone during labor and breaking it! Every so often I remind her she came into the world as my little pain in the butt! (affectionately of course!)

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#17 of 28 Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 PM

I wondered what that was! I have been aching for about 2 weeks now. (Oh, and my tailbone has been aching for more than a month.)

After reading your posts, I feel pretty fortunate to be doing as well as I am, though I get nervous that I still have three months for it to get alot worse. I feel so decrepit when I go from lying or sitting to standing. It takes about 5 minutes of hobbling and whimpering before it subsides to just a dull ache.
#18 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 01:31 PM

Is there an actual email support group for this? Because my internet searching has turned up nothing. Looks like it is more recognized in the UK go figure. Yesterday was a "barely could walk day" and today is shaping up to be the same. And by last night I was in tears, this is getting old very fast!
#19 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 PM

ladies- do you all have the pain in the pubic bone? I have something very similar to this but it is on one side where my leg connects to my pubic bone. i have been complaining about this for the last month or two to my yoga instructor, midwifes, husband. no one seems to know what it is...

two girls for us! 04.23.07 & 01.17.10...
#20 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyka View Post
ladies- do you all have the pain in the pubic bone? I have something very similar to this but it is on one side where my leg connects to my pubic bone. i have been complaining about this for the last month or two to my yoga instructor, midwifes, husband. no one seems to know what it is...
That is exactly where the pain is... I have it on both sides and right in the middle ...

~paxye~
#21 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 PM

Ah, so that is why I can't get out of bed in the middle of the night without whimpering. Sounds like I am doing better than some of you ladies but it is definitely painful. Feels like my groin is going to rip open. I have an appt on monday so we'll see how knowledgeable/sympathetic my OB is. Probably not very...

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#22 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post
That is exactly where the pain is... I have it on both sides and right in the middle ...
I have it on both sides and it radiates down my inner thighs. I also have it right in the center. I also get severe pain on either side of my tailbone where the pelvic joints are in the back. I also have pain in the middle when my bladder expands.... Waking in the middle of the night is hell! I have a MW appt. tomorrow and she hasn't been taking me too seriously so far, but I called and insisted they see me. We'll see.
#23 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 PM

I thought I was alone in this! I had horrible pubic symphosis pain with my first, so I thought... It was really bad, but each pregnancy has started it sooner & gotten worse quicker. I've had it for awhile now. I went to the chiropractor for my last 2 pregnancies & they didn't help. But this time I'm going to a chiropractor who does upper cervical care, and IT HELPED! Now mind you, it didn't help for very long, but those couple days afterwards I wasn't as bad & it wasn't as debilitating. But yes, I can't roll over without sharp, intense pain, I can't lift my leg one at a time to put my pants on without pain, I am stiff & walk like an old lady in the mornings, etc... I also fell on a puddle of water the other week. THAT hurt it for sure. It's crazy. Sorry to hear so many are dealing with this! It's totally not fun at all. I was told to not spread my legs (yeah right!), keep them together when turning over in bed, etc., put arnica gel/oil on it, take arnica, etc.

One thing I was worried about was dealing with the pain during labor/delivery. But praise God - the pain was GONE during both labors/deliveries, so I'm expecting the same this time around. Thanks for the tips from other posters!
#24 of 28 Old 10-16-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
I also have pain in the middle when my bladder expands....
Yes yes, I notice that correlation this time. Which is why it ends up being worse at night when I don't wake up until it's really full and makes it really difficult to get up. I can happen during the day and I empty when the pain starts even if I don't feel the need yet and it seems to help some.

#25 of 28 Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsamandaddi View Post
I But praise God - the pain was GONE during both labors/deliveries, so I'm expecting the same this time around.
Yes, God is so good, it has never been an issue in my labors either. And leaves completely after a week or two post partum. Praise be to Him, even in the trial that is SPD, perhaps it serves an important purpose we're just not aware of yet. But yeah, ouch!

#26 of 28 Old 10-16-2009, 01:29 PM

I have also been terrified of labor with this. I wanted to go naturally this time but when that pubic pain starts all I can think is how in the world will I do this without pain medicine! I moved my leg wrong this morning and now have sciatic pain down both sides of my tail. What I would like most is for my midwife to take me seriously! I was told yesterday she would call me first thing this morning and it's almost noon and of course NO CALL!!
#27 of 28 Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 PM

Labour was no problem for me either... having a water birth really helped that IMO, it felt great to be weightless and be able to move and shift without pain... when I got out of the water though, I did feel it.

~paxye~
#28 of 28 Old 10-17-2009, 12:23 AM

Very interesting. I have never experienced this through all five of my pregnancies. Sounds terrible. I better knock on some wood!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page