Floradix. anyone take it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure I'm low iron. I UP so I dont really have a way to test my blood...and last time i went to the doctor...well it wasnt very nice.

SO>>>>I'm going to buy some floradix...but I'm wondering if anyone else has taken it and how they took it and how they liked it.

Expat in Singapore...visit my blog

#2 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 01:11 PM

I go through phases that I take it... when I had a m/c just before this pregnancy I took it for a while and it did help, but then when I got pregnant I couldn't stand the taste anymore... (like a lot of things)

It is really not that bad though and if you are anaemic, you will see a difference in the way you feel...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#3 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 01:29 PM

I'm at 26 weeks and I've been taking it since about 8 weeks. I really like it. It took a while to get used to the taste and I still have some days that it makes me cringe, but I think it makes me feel great. I went out of town for a week and a half and bought some simple one a day pills for the trip and now feel so tired! I need to get back on my Floradix. I think it really helps with the energy.

I buy it from Swansonvitamins.com. They seem to have a great price. And if you google for a coupon, you can usually get shipping free.

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
#4 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

I take it. Don't really like the flavor but it helps so much with my energy levels that I suck it up and drink up.
#5 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

can you mix it with juice or tomato juice? I totally am exhausted...and i really think this will help. More exhausted than I should be right now. But there are other things too...and it just keeps coming into my mind that I need more iron.

Expat in Singapore...visit my blog

#6 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 03:14 PM

It doesn't taste that bad really.. kind of like prune juice with a metallic aftertaste. You can mix it but I find the metallic taste comes out more... so I down it quickly then drink something down right after if it is one of those days that I don't feel like having it...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#7 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 03:28 PM

Yes, as the pp said you can mix it with juice or whatever, but I found the juice isn't strong enough to overpower the floradix. So I use the chaser method, whether it be food or drink that follows the floradix.

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
#8 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM

I am thinking about trying it...I'm just exhausted all the time.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#9 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 04:39 PM

I didn't think it tasted too bad. I never avoided taking it because of the taste. I loved that it didn't upset my stomach or make me constipated, which you know exactly what I mean if you've taken iron before! For me though it just wasn't raising my ferritin fast enough and I finally had to start taking slow FE. I have really low iron and there were days I couldn't move from exaustion. Now I will say I probably should have doubled the dose and that may have helped me which I am thinking of trying again.
#10 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by intime0 View Post
can you mix it with juice or tomato juice? I totally am exhausted...and i really think this will help. More exhausted than I should be right now. But there are other things too...and it just keeps coming into my mind that I need more iron.
I don't really think it is worth it to do that unless you really can't stomach it. You just take a small amount (and follow with something else) so it is over and done with pretty quick. I did see Floradix capsules at the drug store but I bought the liquid because I *know* that works. KWIM?
#11 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM

I love Floradix! I took it at the beginning of my this preg. when I was exhausted, and since I seem to be heading that way again, I will probably start up again in the next few weeks. I get a little burst of energy from it and feel all around more energetic. I also took it when BFing my first one and was really grateful for the extra boost of energy. The taste doesn't bother me in the slightest so that is a plus... good luck!
#12 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 10:39 PM

Hmmm, maybe i should look into this

I've been feeling SO run down and exhausted these days. I know my last pregnancy I felt great from about 14-26 weeks then started getting tired, and for my blood work at 28 weeks for the stupid GD testing I came back anemic. So the timing is about right.

Glad you posted this! Something for me to be thinking on, definitely.

(and I actually enjoyed the taste of it... for the first week or two. It got yucky really fast, and I just started taking it with a chaser. Then eventually I got too lazy for that and just resigned myself to the flavour.)

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#13 of 18 Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 PM

I take it in the pill format and there is no taste at all.

Larisa
#14 of 18 Old 10-20-2009, 01:51 AM

I had low iron so I started taking it. I just put it in some oj. I couldn't even tell you want it taste like without the juice. I don't taste a thing. The vit c helps with absorbtion too. I don't take it every day since my iron is now ok. Just from time to time.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#15 of 18 Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM

I took it post partum last time, after I turned up anemic. Tastes weird, but I shot it like cough syrup or something. I know some people put it in smoothies. It didn't do me any harm, certainly nicer on the system than iron tablets, but in my case, it turned out I was so anemic I needed a blood transfusion - the doc said I could keep taking the floradix but it would take 3-6 months to see the same effect that a few hours with someone else's blood would give me.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#16 of 18 Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 PM

I took it last time. I mixed it in a glass of orange juice to take it. It makes your poo green. Kinda gross.
#17 of 18 Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 AM

I took it after my m/c. I think it tastes awful, but with a pleasant side too. I can't explain my affair with Floradix

I would take it like a shot (don't mix it with anything, that just prolongs the agony), with a chaser. I found a small milk chaser to work the best, it cuts the flavor of the floradix the best.

R~mama to 3

#18 of 18 Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 PM

I took it throughout my 3rd tri last time. I hate the taste but it made a big difference in how I felt, and I never had tummy problems with it, so I'm a big floradix advocate!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page