Who else is thinking about life after the babe is here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been kinda obsessing about what life will be like after baby. I will have three children three and under, so things will most likely be chaotic. But that is not even the biggest of my concerns. I know it will be crazy, no changing that.

I have been wondering what I will do fitness and birth control wise. I would really like to get back into vigorous exercise, but I think it is sort of impossible with three kids. Same with cycling. I tried the whole drop off daycare at the gym and my dd who will be 2 in a couple of weeks screamed bloody murder each time, so I am rather frightened by trying again, much to my displeasure. And I am on the fence about having more kids. It is really scary to think about paying for college, who knows what they will want to be, med school certainly isn't cheap.

So who else is thinking about fitness routines they can't do for a few months. It is rather maddening to try to figure these things out and be unable to get the ball rolling. I have thought enough about the birth (at least for today), now I want to think beyond January, yk?
Happiestever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-28-2009, 03:39 PM
 
JayJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Minnesota
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just...looking forward to having her. For me, it's been a very long road you see - a lot of being pregnant, not so much of holding a living child. So I just want to look in her eyes and watch her little face as she sleeps next to me

As for the rest: I am going to be babywearing, so, I've got the sling and that'll probably be a major form of exercise along with breastfeeding :P I work from home, so no doubt we'll be walking the doggies with her in the sling or in the buggy.

I'll do some nice gentle tummy-toning exercises as well. All in all, yes, it will be chaotic because I have a 6 and an 8 yr old who obviously fight like cats and dogs (as so many close in age do) and the younger one - a boy - is already very jealous of the upcoming baby because he has been the baby for six years. So we've been dealing with some regression issues there... It'll be interesting, that's for sure!

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
JayJay is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry for your loss Jayjay, wishing you many blessing for the birth and life of you and your family.
Happiestever is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 PM
 
seaheroine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: California
Posts: 971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's definitely been on my mind. The college stuff, too, funny you should say that -- we were just talking about that on Thanksgiving. I sometimes think this one will be the last, 2 is a good number - our house is on the smaller side and I really want to be able to help fund college...it is a big deal to me. On the flip side, I think about having a big family when I'm older and I love the thought. I have three sisters and our holidays are so much fun. Maybe one more, we'll see how having two goes!

As for fitness, we're getting a Wii for Christmas. I decided it would be great exercise without leaving the house, aerobics and what not that the 2yo and I might be able to do together between baby napping and nursing. It's my only hope besides breastfeeding! I'd really like to shape up, though, I had just finally finished losing all of my preggo weight from DD1 when I got pregnant with #2.

I'm thinking about nursing today...bought some nursing tanks at Old Navy as they're on sale for $10, can't beat that. Hopefully it goes smoother this time...I thought BFing was harder than giving birth - waaaaay harder, lol.
seaheroine is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: the Circle K
Posts: 5,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am dying to go skiing and ice skating after 4 years in Texas.
lalaland42 is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaheroine View Post

I'm thinking about nursing today...bought some nursing tanks at Old Navy as they're on sale for $10, can't beat that. Hopefully it goes smoother this time...I thought BFing was harder than giving birth - waaaaay harder, lol.
Wow, that is a great deal. I am not sure I have a Old Navy with a maternity section close by. It is funny to think how we spend so much time thinking about birth, when the real struggles often lie ahead. Not saying that birth is easy or anything, believe me I know birth is it's own obstacle. People are quick to tell you how awful things are, how hard parenting is. Do they ever say how great breastfeeding, cosleeping, etc can be? I guess I am just excited in general. I cannot believe I could have this baby is a month, or two. LOL
Happiestever is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 05:09 PM
 
seaheroine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: California
Posts: 971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
Wow, that is a great deal. I am not sure I have a Old Navy with a maternity section close by. It is funny to think how we spend so much time thinking about birth, when the real struggles often lie ahead. Not saying that birth is easy or anything, believe me I know birth is it's own obstacle. People are quick to tell you how awful things are, how hard parenting is. Do they ever say how great breastfeeding, cosleeping, etc can be? I guess I am just excited in general. I cannot believe I could have this baby is a month, or two. LOL
Me too!

I bought the tanks online, btw -- no way am I going to any retail store this weekend, much less in the next month if I can help it. ON has free shipping on orders $50 today, too and all of their newborn/baby clothes are on sale. Worth checking out! I only wish they had longsleeve nursing tees...I am always freezing so a henley type would help.
seaheroine is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 PM
 
StrawberryFields's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
So who else is thinking about fitness routines they can't do for a few months. It is rather maddening to try to figure these things out and be unable to get the ball rolling. I have thought enough about the birth (at least for today), now I want to think beyond January, yk?
YES!! Totally!!! I too will have three kids once this baby arrives, although they will be newly 4 and 2, and then the newborn. I would love to get a gym membership but I know that is not going to happen in the early months. So I have been combing over the Wii fitness games that are available and thinking about starting out with one of those. I think that I could probably get the 4 and 2 year old to "work out" with me if we are using the Wii (neither one naps anymore). I have my eye on a few like EA Sports Active, or My Fitness Coach, or Gold's Gym Cardio. Hoping that I can use the Wii Game at first, get through until the spring when we can get out and go on walks, and then move into a gym membership once the baby is closer to one.

Birth control we have figured out for sure... dh will be having a vasectomy.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
StrawberryFields is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 06:20 PM
 
Bluegoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaheroine View Post

I'm thinking about nursing today...bought some nursing tanks at Old Navy as they're on sale for $10, can't beat that. Hopefully it goes smoother this time...I thought BFing was harder than giving birth - waaaaay harder, lol.
They have nursing tanks at Old Navy!!!!

 I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Bluegoat is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 06:59 PM
 
remijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Definitely been thinking about it. I think I will work going into the gym into my schedule or getting at the treadmill at my MIL's house while baby is napping there. I swam alot after DS but I was able to just put his stroller right next to the pool while he slept. I can't do that here. Walking is always an option but I know its going to be cold and icy. The weight came off pretty fast last time just from bf, I am hoping this goes the same. I will be taking classes at the university so will get a little bit of exercise / out of the house time in that way. I am so looking forward to bf, holding this little one. Its been so long since I've been around a newborn and I'm really excited and getting moreso every day that passes.

As for birth control, well that's pretty easy for me too. I won't be seeing DH for about ten months as he will be gone for training so there's no better birth control than that!

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

remijo is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by remijo View Post
As for birth control, well that's pretty easy for me too. I won't be seeing DH for about ten months as he will be gone for training so there's no better birth control than that!
Yeah, that would make things rather diffficult. Sorry your DH has to be away, that must be rough to say the least.
Happiestever is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
YES!! Totally!!! I too will have three kids once this baby arrives, although they will be newly 4 and 2, and then the newborn. I would love to get a gym membership but I know that is not going to happen in the early months. So I have been combing over the Wii fitness games that are available and thinking about starting out with one of those. I think that I could probably get the 4 and 2 year old to "work out" with me if we are using the Wii (neither one naps anymore). I have my eye on a few like EA Sports Active, or My Fitness Coach, or Gold's Gym Cardio. Hoping that I can use the Wii Game at first, get through until the spring when we can get out and go on walks, and then move into a gym membership once the baby is closer to one.

Birth control we have figured out for sure... dh will be having a vasectomy.
I thought about getting a Wii, but we decided early on that we didn't want to have video games in the house - for so many reasons. We really prefer outdoor activities, but I wish I hadn't made up that rule. Maybe it no longer applies, since now you can actually exercise while playing . I plan on getting the 30 day shred dvd, but will have to be able to finish my yoga dvd's easily before I move on to something harder.

We have also talked about dh getting a V, but it is such a hard thing to think about. I would rather no one have to have any surgery. I refuse to get a tubal for - again- so many reasons. I am pretty young and will probably not begin menopause for practically another 20 years. That is quite a big time frame to tackle. Which is why I worry. Thank God for breastfeeding, at least that gives me some time to decide.
Happiestever is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 PM
 
Gray's Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We walk to & from school (unless is it under 40 degrees outside), so that will be my only form of excerise for a while. It is a 2 mile total walk--very doable in 1/2-1 mile chunks. I can pop the baby in my carrier & my then middle can either use the stroller or walk with me. Besides that & breastfeeding--that is all I can do.

As for BC, we use natural family planning & we are seriously considering the vasectomy route also. We don't want to have more than the 3 we will have, but my thoughts always go to "what if something horrible happens and I want more." I think we may just do alot of praying & see where it takes us.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Gray's Mommy is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 PM
 
StrawberryFields's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
I thought about getting a Wii, but we decided early on that we didn't want to have video games in the house - for so many reasons. We really prefer outdoor activities, but I wish I hadn't made up that rule. Maybe it no longer applies, since now you can actually exercise while playing . I plan on getting the 30 day shred dvd, but will have to be able to finish my yoga dvd's easily before I move on to something harder.
We like our Wii and so far, it has been worth it. We live in Wisconsin though so there is a nice looooooong period of time where outside activities squashed by it being cold, wet, icy and snowy. Especially with a newborn!! I will say that the Wii really didn't get much use over the summer though, so I don't know how often we would turn it on if we lived in a warmer climate.

Quote:
We have also talked about dh getting a V, but it is such a hard thing to think about. I would rather no one have to have any surgery. I refuse to get a tubal for - again- so many reasons. I am pretty young and will probably not begin menopause for practically another 20 years. That is quite a big time frame to tackle. Which is why I worry. Thank God for breastfeeding, at least that gives me some time to decide.
I do not want to have a tubal either, it is definitely out of the question for me. Like you I have a long way to go before I reach menopause. And I am SURE that I am done with 3 kids. I am really kind of bummed thinking about all the periods I have ahead of me now, since I haven't really had once since early 2005 But oh well, it is what it is.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
StrawberryFields is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 09:52 PM
 
momto9kidlets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that it won't be possible for me to go workout for many, many months especially while the baby is young and completely breastfed so I don't even try to figure it out. I think by summer I may be able to sneak off once in awhile, but from past experience just know that isn't something that is really that possible.

As for birth control - dh and I know this is our last. My dh had a vasectomy before I got pregnant (well really it turned out he got it two days after I conceived, but we didn't know that at the time). Because of the vasectomy I don't have to even remotely think about birth control once him and I decided it is time to start dtd

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

momto9kidlets is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 10:10 PM
 
Usually Curious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,926
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
I thought about getting a Wii, but we decided early on that we didn't want to have video games in the house - for so many reasons. We really prefer outdoor activities, but I wish I hadn't made up that rule. Maybe it no longer applies, since now you can actually exercise while playing . I plan on getting the 30 day shred dvd, but will have to be able to finish my yoga dvd's easily before I move on to something harder.

We have also talked about dh getting a V, but it is such a hard thing to think about. I would rather no one have to have any surgery. I refuse to get a tubal for - again- so many reasons. I am pretty young and will probably not begin menopause for practically another 20 years. That is quite a big time frame to tackle. Which is why I worry. Thank God for breastfeeding, at least that gives me some time to decide.
Just want to say that I think that is very wise, especially if you're not 110% sure. I had my tubes tied after my third, when I was just 25 and I suffered HORRIBLY from tubal ligation syndrome, something the doc NEVER EVEN MENTIONED might be possible. Anyway, religious convictions aside (which came years later) we decided I should get a reversal. My symptoms went away immediately. And you're right, twenty years is a long time.
Usually Curious is online now  
Old 11-29-2009, 03:36 AM
 
mymary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: KCMO
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now THIS is a practical post with some GOOD ideas!!!!!!!!!

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

mymary is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 AM
 
nudhistbudhist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Might I recomend a vigorous bellydance DVD? It'sa great way to get back into shape at home, even if you've never done bellydance before... It targets all the areas that we are usually aiming for, belly, hips, butt, thighs and the muscles that are hanging under my arms lol.

Plus, the moves are sensual, so I feel GOOD doing it (as long as no one can see me, heehee). I know that I dont spend much time dressing up after baby is born, usually just sweatpants and a spit-up-stained shirt, dreads flying all over... Its nice to tie a hips scarf on with a cropped shirt and shake what my mama gave me... I always INSTANTLY feel the effects of my dance workout. Doesn't take much!!!!

The other thing I am doing in prep for life after birth is PRINTING OUT THE CROCK POT COOKING SECTION on MDC... there are sooo many recipes and they are soooo easy. We are farmers, so right now I have half a cow, a whole pig and 40 chickens, all nicely cut and wrapped, in two deep freezers outside... We go "shopping" from the deep freeze once a week, bring up a box load of stuff into the fridge. Throw some meat and my home made canning into the crockpot, and we're good to go!!! We order massive proportions of organic food from the co-op (rice flour, cereal, etc) and keep that in the basement... It takes all the stress out of time-management because we have pretty much everything, so there are very few trips to town. The only thing we usually run out of is milk, but my goats will be having babies in a couple months, so we'll be good in that departemnt too

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
nudhistbudhist is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 AM
 
Lizbiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a good post!

I am only having my second... so I plan to squeeze in some workouts (probably beginning at 6 weeks pp or so) with my DH's help. I'd like to run a 10K in May - so that's my fitness goal. Which probably means I'll be trying to run 3 days a week and then other than that - playing with the kids and going for walks will be my exercise - that's enough for me! If I can convince myself to squeeze in some situps - I'll do those too. But I can be rather lazy about them.

As for birth control, we don't. We use natural family planning - and so we do plan our kids (both were planned pregnancies), but we don't use anything but a calendar and a chart and my own observation of my body's fertility. Works well for us. I got my period back at 2 months postpartum last time (while exclusively breastfeeding on demand, mind you!) - so I'm sure the chart will come out sooner rather than later.

These are good things to think about. I'm just trying to brace myself for newborn chaos... It's not easy - and I'm nervous about how I'm going to balance my new babe and my sweet and very busy 2 year old. I'm sure it'll all come together - one day at a time.

Wish I had a goat who could bring me milk! That's awesome nudhistbudhist .

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

Lizbiz is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 01:22 PM
 
MEcatlady17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in the woods
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been thinking a lot about life with a babe. I know that life is about to change so significantly. I have been visualizing about what it would be like if 'right now' we were doing this with a baby (shopping, going places in the car, being home and trying to get ready in the morning, etc). I have been working with new parents and babies for several years, so I am blessed with insight on what it is like for other people, but I am anxiously anticipating what it will be like with our baby and for our family.

For fitness I am thinking about being able to go out for walks once it is spring, but during the winter months I am not even comfortable walking my dog on our snowy back roads let alone a baby. My prenatal fitness class may turn into a postnatal class...if so, I will probably do that a couple times a week.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
MEcatlady17 is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudhistbudhist View Post
Might I recomend a vigorous bellydance DVD? It'sa great way to get back into shape at home, even if you've never done bellydance before... It targets all the areas that we are usually aiming for, belly, hips, butt, thighs and the muscles that are hanging under my arms lol.

Plus, the moves are sensual, so I feel GOOD doing it (as long as no one can see me, heehee). I know that I dont spend much time dressing up after baby is born, usually just sweatpants and a spit-up-stained shirt, dreads flying all over... Its nice to tie a hips scarf on with a cropped shirt and shake what my mama gave me... I always INSTANTLY feel the effects of my dance workout. Doesn't take much!!!!

The other thing I am doing in prep for life after birth is PRINTING OUT THE CROCK POT COOKING SECTION on MDC... there are sooo many recipes and they are soooo easy. We are farmers, so right now I have half a cow, a whole pig and 40 chickens, all nicely cut and wrapped, in two deep freezers outside... We go "shopping" from the deep freeze once a week, bring up a box load of stuff into the fridge. Throw some meat and my home made canning into the crockpot, and we're good to go!!! We order massive proportions of organic food from the co-op (rice flour, cereal, etc) and keep that in the basement... It takes all the stress out of time-management because we have pretty much everything, so there are very few trips to town. The only thing we usually run out of is milk, but my goats will be having babies in a couple months, so we'll be good in that departemnt too
Any particular bellydance dvd's you can recommend? I got one a couple of years ago, and it was great for labor because it was a slow sensual bellydance. But if I want to lose the weight I would want something fast paced, because the only thing I would lose is my clothes on the way to the bedroom with DH .

We have a chest freezer too, so I am in no way as prepared as you are - it is really nice to have a bunch of meat and other stuff at hand. We almost moved to a house with 3 acres, but I doubt I would actually milk anything to get milk- seeing as I have never milked anything except myself. LOL

Great reminder for the crock pot though, I need to get it down and put it on the counter so I have no choice but to use it.
Happiestever is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
 
patagonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking a lot about birth control too. Hormones are out of the question, although I do have PCOS and so I might end up with some sort of a hormonal regimen anyway.
I had an awful IUD experience last time, so I won't be going that route again.

That leaves NFP and condoms as the only non semi-permanent approach. DH and I are still young and though he says that we're done we still have 10+ years to change our minds.

As to exercise I think we might go with a home gym solution. DS was doing really well in the drop off gym care, but they shut down the only gym that had the daycare hours that worked for us and so now we haven't used our $50/month gym membership for nearly 6 months (should cancel it).
I love to cycle too, and I do have the little adapter that makes my road bike stationary. Perhaps that's going to be my first step once my body is recovered and is ready for exercise. I can set it up in front of the TV and cycle whenever there is a free minute. This should cut down on driving and trying to get the kids out the door.
patagonia is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 02:19 PM
 
mrsfrenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the snow
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying really hard not to think about life after baby because the idea of 2 kids under 18 months really stresses me out. Especially when I have stressful days with DD, I think 'how the heck am I going to handle this with two kids??'
We'll be fine, I'm sure; but that doesn't mean it won't be stressful.

Also, I'll be taking online classes starting in January since the new LO will be too young for daycare. DD will still be at daycare 3 days a week so that I can get schoolwork and housework done (that and she gets bored quickly at home, even when I plan fun stuff to do). But although I'm happy that I'm able to stay at home with the baby until the fall, I'm really going to miss having classes on campus and the interaction in those classes. Oh well, I'll be back on campus again in September (which...geez that's nearly a year away).

Is it bad that I'm not concerned about exercise? (other than chasing the kiddos?) Last time I was pretty lucky in that I didn't do anything specially and got back to normal fairly soon, so I'm crossing my fingers that it will happen again.

For BC, I think I'll be getting an IUD. We're not sure if we want another and if (thats a BIG if) we do, then it needs to be after I'm done with grad school. (which is a few years from now). I'm not reliable enough to remember to temp every day or to take a pill everyday (that's how we got pregnant this time), so I need something that doesn't depend on me remembering to do it. I've heard mixed reviews about IUDs, but hopefully it will work for me.

student momma to two great girls

mrsfrenchy is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seems like a lot of people are heading back to school, I myself am thinking about it as well. But I really need to decide if continuing the path as a birth professional is something I want to do long term or not. I have this thing where I want to love what I do, but it really puts a damper on things panning out fiscally. As most joys in life are not very fruitful financially, at least IME.

I think IUD's are a great idea....if they work for you!
I had the Mirena and it was awful. Though I believe for some women it works great for the full length of time. I thought about the Paraguard, but reading about that has me scared as well.

Which leaves me back at square one. Could you imagine taking bc pills for 20 more years, on top of the 3 I did before I had kids? That is a huge risk I think. And a tubal, geesh, where to begin! I don't know how well I would do with NFP for such a long period of time. Although this would be my first choice, it just seems like if I messed up one month, bam, I am right back where I started.
Happiestever is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 04:39 PM
 
StrawberryFields's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
I think IUD's are a great idea....if they work for you!
I had the Mirena and it was awful. Though I believe for some women it works great for the full length of time. I thought about the Paraguard, but reading about that has me scared as well.

Which leaves me back at square one. Could you imagine taking bc pills for 20 more years, on top of the 3 I did before I had kids? That is a huge risk I think. And a tubal, geesh, where to begin! I don't know how well I would do with NFP for such a long period of time. Although this would be my first choice, it just seems like if I messed up one month, bam, I am right back where I started.
Maybe the Nuva Ring? I don't know anything about it but a friend of mine used it for a couple years in between kids and raved about it. BC pills and the patch are totally out of the question for me, so if I tried anything before dh gets a v it would probably be an iud or the ring.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
StrawberryFields is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:45 PM
 
smokeylo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
I have been wondering what I will do fitness and birth control wise.
Yeah, I have also been thinking about my pp body and wondering what things will look like/feel like after the birth. After DD was born I lost a bunch of weight with nursing, but then gained it back once she started on solids. I live near a rec center with child care that I may look into just to do something convenient and not dependent on nice weather. I don't know!

As for birth control... I feel like I need to make a decision there, since NOT making a decision on that got me in this pregnancy in the first place . DH is ready for the Big Snip but I'm nervous to make that commitment, even though I'm 90% sure we only want/will only have 2 children. I should probably see someone about getting an IUD but that would require finding a doctor, visiting and explaining the homebirth thing and dealing with that judgment which just seems irritating to me.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
smokeylo is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:02 PM
 
Astraia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH is gonna go for a V sometime. We were supposed to be using condoms and NFP after DD was born, and well- we all see how THAT worked out! Not repeating that.

I do NOT feel done, but with the inheritable muscular dystrophy business we're done having our own, natural kids. 2 healthy kids is as far as I'm willing to risk it. I love being pregnant and birthing babies (so far, at least), I love kids and I've always wanted a big family so it's hard to say "that's it!"

I've never done much for exercising. Oops. But I think wearing 2 babies and walking the dog is going to be plenty for the next little while. After DD I didn't lose much weight at all. It wasn't until my milk dried up with this pregnancy that the pounds started dropping off... very weird.

Surviving with 2 kids under 2- eh, that I'm not so sure of. I'm sure it'll work out, one way or the other. There will probably be tears and frustration and chaos but eventually we'll get it figured out.

I'm just so glad I'm a baby-wearing mom or I'd be SCREWED.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Astraia is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:53 PM
 
paxye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 2,836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been thinking about how ds#3 will react to no longer being the baby in the family... and about being the mom of 4 kids...

I can't wait to find out if we are having our fourth boy, or first girl...

I am looking forward to having DH home on Paternity/Parental leave... because I am SAHM, DH can take all the leave for himself so he will be home for 7 months and we will both be full time parents...

I also am looking forward to parenting a baby again... I love the newborn/baby stage, it is so easy... babywearing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, EC etc... I can't wait to cuddle to a little baby again...

I don't do birth control, won't take hormones and I can't do condoms etc... but we use NFP... I think this is our last, so DH might get a V at one point, but that depends on him...

I am also really looking forward to giving birth again... I love the birthing experience and the natural high that comes from birthing naturally and I am looking forward to having my second UC...

 
~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
paxye is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
I'm just so glad I'm a baby-wearing mom or I'd be SCREWED.
My sentiments exactly!
Happiestever is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 PM
 
momto9kidlets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
DH is gonna go for a V sometime. .
Not sure if you know this or not, but when dh has his vasectomy they usually say that he could still be fertile until two months and 20 ejaculations.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

momto9kidlets is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off