Boy name poll! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do any of these sound nice to you?
Nathaniel Oliver 17 100.00%
Nathaniel Alexander Clive 4 66.67%
Julian Oliver 18 100.00%
Clive Alexander 7 100.00%
Oliver Rilke (my two favourite poets) 9 100.00%
Nathaniel Brook 6 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies!
We're STILL working on the name... tell me what you think of our most recently ideas!

Last name sounds like ol-ska-eh-knee

Thanks!!!

Agnieszka wife to Kevin, Kalina (Jan 7, 2005), Tosia (June 4, 2006) , and baby Emmett (Dec 27, 2009)
#2 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 08:20 PM

I like them ALL! Very handsome and sophisticated.

Amy

Wife to K since 6/95 Mommy to "The Fellas" ages 13, 10 and 8 and our rainbow girly 12/09.
Always remembering my babies who could not stay '08 '08 '09
#3 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 PM

I had to vote for Julian, that is also our boy name. I just love it!

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#4 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 11:19 PM

Julian is a great name!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#5 of 18 Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 AM

I am really liking Nathaniel Oliver & Julien Oliver...

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#6 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray's Mommy View Post
I am really liking Nathaniel Oliver & Julien Oliver...
Hmm... do you like the spelling "Julien" better than "Julian"?

What do you think of "Julian Nathaniel"??

Agnieszka wife to Kevin, Kalina (Jan 7, 2005), Tosia (June 4, 2006) , and baby Emmett (Dec 27, 2009)
#7 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_Agnieszka View Post
Hmm... do you like the spelling "Julien" better than "Julian"?

What do you think of "Julian Nathaniel"??
No, I just can't spell when I am tired

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#8 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 02:49 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
but i like Nathaniel Oliver...

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#9 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love Julian!
#10 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm really falling for Julian!!! It just seems to fit this little one... of course, I've yet to meet him...

As for a middle name... I don't know at the moment...

I like "Rilke" because he's my favourite poet. Actually, Julian is the first name of another favourite (Polish) poet... Could be a poetic name! Julian Rilke.

Or Julian Nathaniel... but then Nathaniel doesn't has as much of a meaning, just that we like it...

Well, I guess we'll keep trying to find the right one!

Thanks for your help, ladies. I've really appreciated your input. I'm not talking to anyone (other than dh!) about the name so it's nice to be able to bounce ideas off of you here!

#11 of 18 Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Clive Alexander Rilke

Julien is more boyish I think and with the middle name of Rilke, most Americans won't know boy or girl just by looking at the name.

Nathaniel Oliver

I think though I'd take any first name/middle name combo and add Rilke to it. So unique and seems to go with all of your picks and last name too. G

Great choices if I must get over Orrin

Best of luck to you.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#12 of 18 Old 12-07-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmueller View Post
Clive Alexander Rilke
You like that one? I've been torn because Clive and Alexander are both grand fathers' names - Clive on my dh's side and Alexander on mine... So, which one do we make first???

Quote:
Julien is more boyish I think and with the middle name of Rilke, most Americans won't know boy or girl just by looking at the name.
Julien with an "e" is more boyish? Hmmm... interesting point. And yes, I can see how with Rilke as middle name it may not be so clear. Hmmm... something to think about...

Quote:
Nathaniel Oliver

I think though I'd take any first name/middle name combo and add Rilke to it. So unique and seems to go with all of your picks and last name too. G
Huh. Nathaniel Oliver Rilke and then last name... that's a really long name, especially since his last name is hyphenated!

So, I'm either going to have to go with Julian and Rilke as middle and then explain that he's a he over and over again... or pick a boyish sounding first name to go with Rilke... or drop Rilke all together...

But I'm leaning toward keeping Julian and finding a different middle name. It's a good Polish name (though pronounced "Yulian" so it's different).

Any suggestions for a different middle name to go with Julian??

A.

#13 of 18 Old 12-07-2009, 03:45 PM

There is also the medieval version of Julian, Jolyon, pronounced very similarly, and it definitely has a very masculine look to it. I think it is a cool name and way underused.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#14 of 18 Old 12-07-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
So, I'm either going to have to go with Julian and Rilke as middle and then explain that he's a he over and over again... or pick a boyish sounding first name to go with Rilke... or drop Rilke all together....
I strongly disagree. People know Julian is a boys' name. I would find it highly unusual for anyone learning of a baby Julian to think "girl." Whether it's Julian or Julien.

As for Rilke, I am in the camp of picking middle names with meaning, not because they "sound nice." So Rilke is an excellent choice.

(In fact, when I first read your poll, I thought you were considering Oliver Rilke because they were both your favorite poets. I thought, a boy named for Mary Oliver and R.M. Rilke - how cool is that?)

And if that's what you really did mean, then Oliver Rilke is the best name I've seen on these boards in years.

But if you like Julian better as a first name, Julian Rilke gets my vote.
#15 of 18 Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
I strongly disagree. People know Julian is a boys' name. I would find it highly unusual for anyone learning of a baby Julian to think "girl." Whether it's Julian or Julien.
You have no idea how cool it is to hear a strong opinion!!! And that Julian seems a boy's name to you... It definitely is in Polish (my heritage).

Quote:
As for Rilke, I am in the camp of picking middle names with meaning, not because they "sound nice." So Rilke is an excellent choice.
A woman after my own heart! It will take some arguing when we introduce him to the grandparents... but this is my third baby and I'm hardly worried about that, actually...

Quote:
(In fact, when I first read your poll, I thought you were considering Oliver Rilke because they were both your favorite poets. I thought, a boy named for Mary Oliver and R.M. Rilke - how cool is that?)
Yes! That is exactly what I had in mind!!... And then I met two baby Olivers and suddenly it looks like it's going to be the next "in" name... Do you get that sense at all?? Because, I'd hate to have his name be one of a dozen in his preschool or whatever... And Julian is a Polish poet that I love, too... though definitely not well known here (Canada) or the USA... (But if you're interested, look him up: Julian Tuwim).

Quote:
And if that's what you really did mean, then Oliver Rilke is the best name I've seen on these boards in years.
Really? And do you like Julian Rilke as well?? Or not so much??

Quote:
But if you like Julian better as a first name, Julian Rilke gets my vote.
Well, thanks for that. I do like Oliver a lot, too, but as I said, I'm more concerned that the name is the new trend and then the meaning and significance of why we're choosing it will get lost...

A

#16 of 18 Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I do like Oliver a lot, too, but as I said, I'm more concerned that the name is the new trend and then the meaning and significance of why we're choosing it will get lost...
I have heard that Oliver is getting trendy, and I'm sure in some parts it is (not here).

But here's my take: in naming your kid Oliver, you aren't jumping on the trendwagon. You are naming your kid after Mary Oliver! That is so kick butt! Your son is going to be telling his college girlfriend one day, "Yeah, mom named me after her two favorite poets," And that girl is going to be thinking "Coolest potential MIL ever!"

It is a great story and great stories don't get lost. (At least, not until a few generations down the road, but that's not your worry.)

Also, I will tell you that we did not choose the first name we loved because we worried there would be ten in the kid's preschool. He's 9 now, and there haven't been any in his class at any point.

(Also - really, I'm going to stop now - have you read Nicholson Baker's new novel, The Anthologist? Whole lot of Mary Oliver love in there.
#17 of 18 Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 AM

I love it. So unique. But since you asked before--I like Clive Alexander in that order because of the amount of syllables and their place (1-3).

I wanted Karl Alexander Mueller for my son, but hubby preferred Alexander Karl Mueller which is the name. Works for me, I got the names I wanted.

All the best and we love you here no matter what you and hubby come up with.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#18 of 18 Old 12-08-2009, 08:59 AM

I think Julian is such a cute name. NO WAY does it sound like a girls name. If anything, I think Julien is more girly. I like all your names. Oliver is so incredibly cute to me, and not trendy like the name Liam is trendy

Mommy to one champagne.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page