Thoughts on a name, please? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe how difficult it's been to pick a boy's name. With our daughter, we just knew. Could you give me some feedback on a couple names?

First is Logan. It's just so freakin' popular (#19) that I tend to want to avoid it. But it's still somehow our favorite. Would you avoid it because of it's popularity?

Second, Greyson. Our daughter's name is Sage. Should we avoid a name that will most likely be shortened to another color name, Grey?

Last, Baylen. What's your immediate reaction to this name? Is it girly? Do you think of hay bailin'?

Thanks for your input!

married to my best friend since july of '93... mama to sage, who came when the pumpkins came in '05... and logan, who came with the hoar frost in january '10
#2 of 17 Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 AM

I love Logan! That's a great name
I am not all that into Greyson-but it's ok. I think Grey is cute. And I think of the herb sage-not the color when I hear your daughter's name (which is beautiful )
Baylen-I do not think of hay bailin at all! It's different -but I think I'd pick Logan over the other two-the popularity would not deter me if I really like the name.
Boy names have been hard for me too this time around. I have a girl name-but still no boy name...ugh-I may have a name thread of my own soon....

Liz ~wife to an amazing man~mama to 2 beautiful sons~trodding through babylon~ loving JAH~rainbow1284.gif

#3 of 17 Old 12-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Dea

I like Logan, but it is popular, but it you love it....
I love Greyson, but in my head it's with an A Grayson.
Baylen does seem more feminine to me, but paired with a great middle name it can be wonderful.

My choice would be Greyson. Goes well with Sage!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#4 of 17 Old 12-05-2009, 09:51 AM

I think if you truly love a name, you should go with it despite popularity. That being said, I really like Greyson! Not as big a fan of Baylen.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#5 of 17 Old 12-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
I think if you truly love a name, you should go with it despite popularity. That being said, I really like Greyson! Not as big a fan of Baylen.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#6 of 17 Old 12-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Logan was on our list, but we couldn't use it. I also love Greyson.
#7 of 17 Old 12-05-2009, 10:33 AM

I am very very biased with the name Grayson...it is my oldest son's name. We it! I like how Sage & Grayson sound together. We selected the /a/ over the /e/spelling and that was strickly based on my freakishness for spelling.

I am not such a fan of Baylen, but that is because I know a Jaylin, a Kaylin, and a Hayden. I think that combination (a-len) is a more popular choice today.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#8 of 17 Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray's Mommy View Post
I am not such a fan of Baylen, but that is because I know a Jaylin, a Kaylin, and a Hayden. I think that combination (a-len) is a more popular choice today.
I completely agree. The a-len is more popular than Logan. I personally like Greyson but that is because popularity would deter me from a name (more than most people I'm sure - we purposely went for a very unpopular name).

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#9 of 17 Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 PM

I prefer Logan. FWIW, I can't think of a single "Logan" that we've met in person.

Greyson is a nice name, but for some reason I prefer Logan with Sage.

Baylen actually *does* make me thing of baling! That was my first thought.. sorry!

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
#10 of 17 Old 12-05-2009, 03:08 PM

Logan is nice. I knocked out a ton of names that were in the top 100 (husband's choices), but I have friends with kid that have uber popular names and those kids don't know anybody else with that same name.

I prefer Grayson over Greyson, but I wouldn't worry about the color thing since I also think of Sage for planting.

My initial thought of Baylen is that it sounds completely made up.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#11 of 17 Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 AM

i like baylen most of all, since it is less common.

the other two names i have bad associations with (bound to happen when the names are so popular- you run into people with that name you end up disliking...)

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#12 of 17 Old 12-06-2009, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your input, everyone! It's been helpful.

married to my best friend since july of '93... mama to sage, who came when the pumpkins came in '05... and logan, who came with the hoar frost in january '10
#13 of 17 Old 12-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Sage is such a pretty name! I love the name Grey so my vote would be for Greyson. However, if Logan is your favorite just go for it! You have to say this name for the rest of your life

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#14 of 17 Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I like Logan best. Baylen does sound femine to me, maybe because I used to babysit a little girl named Bailey.
#15 of 17 Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love Logan. The other two not so much. Grayson has fallen into the girl territory here which cracks me and dh up because it has a "son" n the end.

Basil
Forrest
River
Rue
#16 of 17 Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 PM

I vote for Greyson, but then again, I've never been a fan of Logan. Baylen does sound a little feminine.
#17 of 17 Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 AM

I'm not a fan of all the A'lin names and I normally aim for the English vice American spellings of names--hence the ey on Greyson. Love 'em both.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page