Still Breech at 35 weeks, - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday I went into for an U/S because my doc. (Family doc, he delivered my son so, I know he's very NCB friendly and will let me be in labor) likes to have one that is done at the hospital he's at. Everything looked great except the little girly wasn't head down, which I knew going in. She's still kinda moving in there alot. But I"m getting a bit worried now. I'm 35w and 3d and my other 2 were in position by 30 weeks.

She seems to like her feet either in a hip, head in left side or straight up and down the wrong way . I've started doing inversions off the couch, listening to the turning breech hypnobabies track, crawling and doing the cat/cows. When i get my medical card I'll see about finding someone who knows the webster technique. Is there anything more I can do? I don't want a C-section, it would just be one more thing to round out a rotten year.

Please help me not to worry too much, I need a little reassurance that I still have plenty of time for her to moving into the right positsion.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 11:43 AM

Any chance of finding a care provider that would attend a breech birth?

I'm sorry that so much pressure is being placed on you right now. It sounds like you are doing everything right.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#3 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 12:58 PM

My little guy was breech at 35 weeks and a few days. I just did pelvic tilts, downward dog for 30 sec at a time, cat/cow, crawling, and generally spent time on hands and knees before bed. After a couple days he turned overnight and has stayed head down, I'm 39 weeks 1 day now. So hang in there!

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#4 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 PM

I'm 33 weeks myself and in the same predicament! You're not alone. I am doing the same things -hypnobabies, hands and knees, cat/cow, and inversions off the couch. I am going to be doing acupuncture/moxybustion in a few weeks if they haven't turned and that is supposed to be very effective.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#5 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 01:59 PM

Hi - I'm DDC crashing here. My mom said my sister was still flipping back and forth in the early stages of labor and finally settled head down! Don't worry - she'll probably turn.

Amy: proud mama to my sweet Karl 12/05, baby Ben 5/10 and happy wife of 13 years to James.
#6 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 03:41 PM

Babies can and do turn in labor. I know it's hard to find a practitioner who will "allow" you to wait that long, but take heart that you still have time. Breech does not have to equal c-section though it seems that way in our society.

Ways to turn babies:
external version
Webster technique/chiropractic visits
pulsatilla homeopathic pellets
moxibustion
acupressure/puncture
inversions
cat/cow
swimming
use a flashlight to "light the way down" for baby
have DH/DP talk to the baby near your cervix and encourage baby to turn, come down, go toward the light, etc etc
visualization
sit on a birth ball anytime you sit down
relax!!!!!
visit spinningbabies.com

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#7 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Just wanted to commiserate - I'm in the same boat....35 weeks and breech! Think she is still moving around quite a bit though - going in for a positioning ultrasound later today to confirm her position.
#8 of 10 Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 AM

The following is from http://www.beautiful-births.com/cont...es/breech.html

1. Knee to Chest Position
In one study of 71 breech babies, 65 turned when their mother adopted the knee-chest position. To do this, kneel with your hips flexed at slightly more than 90 degrees (but do not let your thigh press against your abdomen) and try to keep your head, shoulders, and upper chest flat on your mattress. Maintain the position for 15 minutes every two waking hours for five consecutive days. By positioning your body so your head is lower, gravity encourages the baby's head to "float" toward your fundus, flex her chin onto her chest and start to turn under. As pressure builds on the back of the back of the baby's head, she gradually rotates first into transverse, then all the way to vertex.

1 1/2. A frozen bag of veggies at the top of your uterus with a warm wash cloth near the bottom portion of your uterus can sometimes help with the above and below exercises.

2. Breech Tilts
Do when you have an empty stomach and times when the baby is active. Concentrate on the baby, avoid tensing the body (especially the abdomen). Lie on your back with your hips elevated 12" (use pillows) and your hips and knees flexed. Gently roll through 180 degrees from side to side for 15 minutes and repeat this maneuver three times a day.

3. Pelvic Rocking
To do pelvic rocking get down on your hands and knees and gently tilt your pelvis as you arch your back, then return your back to a flat position and relax your pelvis. Do thirty to forty of these 3 times every day.

4. Ironing Board
Elevate the pelvis by laying on a board or ironing board that has been propped up onto the edge of a couch - MAKE SURE IT IS STABLE! This position should be assumed for 8 to 10 minutes daily. This position has been shown to be as successful as an external version in some studies.

5. Massage with External Stimulation
Give the mom a full rocking massage - it relaxes the whole body and is essential for the mom to feel the space for the baby to turn. Then, place pillows under her knees, tilt her slightly with a rolled up towel on the right side. Touch the baby (mom's belly, talk to the baby and rotate hands in the direction that they want to go). Have total faith and it will turn.

6. Cat Stretch with Light & Music Stimulation
First, get in a "cat-stretch" position: on all fours, head lower than rear end. You can use pillows to kneel on. Take a flashlight, turn it on, and put the light against your lower abdomen directly the skin - the lower, the better. At the same time, use a walkman or portable CD player's headset against the lowest part of your belly, with music turned on (but not blasting-loud). The fetus will hear the music and see the light, both encouraging him/her to turn toward it, i.e., your pelvis. Try for 30-45 minutes. You may need to do deep breathing - the baby will be MOVING!

7. Moxibustion
A form of acupuncture which is currently the subject of a research study to see if it could help turn breech babies. Some therapists claim an 80% success rate, but before trying it, seek advice from a qualified acupuncturist

8. Accupuncture
Acupuncture has been used successfully to turn breech babies. Two well controlled research studies supported this finding. They found that acupuncture can successfully turn up to 70% of breech babies. Treatment can be commenced as early as 32 weeks. The most common treatments used by acupuncturists are moxibustion alone or moxibustion in combination with acupuncture. Moxibustion is a method of applying heat to an acupuncture point using a cigar-like stick of the dried herb moxa (Fursland, 1992). The acupuncture point used to turn breech babies is located just near the little toe. If choosing this method it is important to consult a qualified acupuncturist.

9. Webster's Technique
A technique used by specially trained and certified chiropractors to align the pelvis to let the baby turn.

10. Visualization
A way to enlist your mental powers to help turn the baby. Combine visualization with other exercises. You can silently picture what you want to happen. Say to yourself, or have your partner say the following or something similar: "As I lie here in a tilt, I take long breaths and relax my body. Your head presses toward my chest.. Come on baby! Come around. Move your head, move your body to take the pressure off. Turn around, tuck your chin and come toward my cervix. Come close, so you will be all ready to come out when the time is right and Ill be ready to welcome you. Turn around...turn around. I'm relaxing my body to give you more room to turn around, to get ready to be born."

11. External Cephalic Version (ECV)
MUST BE DONE BY A DOCTOR OR MIDWIFE!!! Should not be done on women who are rhesus negative, have experienced bleeding already, or whose placenta is situated low in the uterus. Risks associated with ECV including the possibility of causing distress to the baby and a chance of bleeding or premature rupture of the membranes. Baby is turned externally with strong guided pressure, which can be very painful. Success rates are about 65% in studies.

12. The homeopathic remedy “Pulsatilla” has been known to help.

I found the best of the above are the webster, the breech tilt with the warm wash cloth on the bottom of belly and cold on the top, and the external versions work the best.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#9 of 10 Old 12-25-2009, 05:53 PM

Don't stress! My third baby was breech up until right before he was born. (Or was it my second?) Regardless, I got on my hands and knees, while in labor, and did something I was told to do and he turned head-down. It hurt like crazy, but no breech birth and no c-sec.

You'll be fine! Have faith.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#10 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 03:21 PM

We were trying everything to turn this baby. I've been seeing a Webster trained chiropractor for my entire pregnancy so that was nothing new. I tried the soaking in the tub, pelvic tilts, breech inversions, crawling around on my hands & knees, moxibustion, visualization, etc etc etc etc. EVERYTHING.

So, we scheduled a version for 36w3d and it was successful! It was nothing like what I was expecting. I was really nervous and scared but it wasn't even painful at all. It took literally like 20 seconds and he was head down. Getting the saline lock put it before the procedure was more uncomfortable than the version. Since I'm planning a VBAC, I wanted to do everything we could do to get him head down prior to labor to give me peace of mind and just a better chance in general of getting my VBAC. So now all we have to do is wait for the baby to decide when he wants to come into this crazy world!

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page