Question from a lurker (x-posted) :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-23-2009, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everybody
I'm Lana (23) and I'm new at this msg board.
I'm pregnant with my first baby and due the 12th of Feb.I have this question that has been bothering me for awhile.
My lil girl has the hiccups every single day,for couple of weeks already.
She gets them 4-5 times a day and they last 10-20 minutes each time.
I was wondering,is this normal?Is there such thing as too frequent fetal hiccups?

I read that it might signalize cord compression so paid for a private u/s and the cord wasn't wrapped around the baby.I'm getting another u/s next week but needed to hear ur opinion.
Also my baby's heart rate has been lower then usually.She used to be in the high 140's but lately the hr dropped to 120-130 when she's not moving.When she does it goes way up to 170.Does this sound normal to u or 120-130 starts to be low?

How ofter ur lil ones get the hiccups?
What does ur doctor say?

Thank you and have a happy holiday everyone

Lana
#2 of 5 Old 12-23-2009, 11:02 PM

I haven't had a baby with hiccups yet. If you feel like something is off with the baby, please call your care provider.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#3 of 5 Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 AM

It's so weird that though they are so protected in us--we can't see them!! This can make a first time mom so nervous.

Hiccups. Yes normal. My two when in me (one six year old and I'm preg now) get them or got them inside me at least twice a day. I suppose if I had a stomache the size of a thimble and swallowed a pint of fluid a day, I'd get them too. I've never even mentioned them to my midwife but put my hand down on my belly to feel them and laugh at the baby.

Heartrate: My baby resting is 132 (probably sleeping) and awake is in the 150's. Completely normal (Fetal HR 120-160). 170 is higher but like us, when they are trying/exerting themselves or kicking their way out of our front--even when we tell them we have an exit ready for them--the HR will rise up there no problem. A normal babies heartrate is supposed to fluxuate--during an NST rises and drops is what is looked for during the babies rest and activity.

In short--you've explained nothing out of the ordinary but piece of mind for you is so important in keeping your stress levels down. Always have a notebook to keep track of your questions for your next appt. You are the customer/client for your healthcare provider. You/your S/O are paying for the providers children to go to college. You make sure you get your questions answered and your fears allayed.

Love of love and Good God's Blesses to you and yours.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#4 of 5 Old 12-24-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmueller View Post
A normal babies heartrate is supposed to fluxuate--during an NST rises and drops is what is looked for during the babies rest and activity.

In short--you've explained nothing out of the ordinary.
DD got hiccups allllllll the time. Every time she moved around, she'd get hiccups and then fall asleep. Thankfully this kid doesn't get them as often, since his head is on my bladder and every hiccup makes him bounce on it and it's incredibly unpleasant.

I went for NST with DD at about 37 weeks (I wasn't feeling her moving, only feeling hiccups) and it was neat to hear her heartrate. She was moving around a lot, lots of ups and downs and every time her heartrate went up and you heard her swooshing around the midwife would smile and say, "that's a happy baby!" If your baby's heart rate never changed, then it'd be cause for concern.

Hiccups help to develop the diaphram. They're supposed to get them! Some get them a lot, others barely ever. Like everything there's a huge range of normal.

Worries are normal, but try not to freak out. Listen to your mama get, get in touch with your baby as much as possible, and if you truly feel something is wrong (not google telling you something may be wrong- don't google!) then address it with your care provider.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#5 of 5 Old 12-24-2009, 04:53 PM

The only place I have seen it mentioned that hiccups could mean a cord issue (knot in the cord) was in that horrid What To Expect When Expecting book (I unfortunately bought it with my first thinking I HAD to have it in order to know how to be pregnant).

I have never seen any studies or legitimate reference for such a claim and given that research indicates cord issues themselves are quite rare (no, having a cord around the baby is NOT, in general, a concern) I would assume this is a pretty far fetched claim to fill the pages of mainstream books and make women even more paranoid about a natural, normal process.

Aria - 4 years, Miles - 2 years and Liviana - 1 year with a big surprise due in January 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page