2010 Chat thread! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there is another thread floating around that goes until January 3rd, but I thought I would start a basic chit chat thread.

How is everyone doing??

I'm ok. I'm not gonna lie, I totally thought I would have the babies before I would even see January. So I am a little sad today.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#2 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 11:05 AM

awww, big hugs to you mandie!! if it helps any i think you are doing an incredible job with your twins! how many other mamas would still be pregnant with twins at this point? hooray for you for staying away from medical intervention thus far.

afu, we never believed our son was coming early so we are calmly waiting for it to be time! dp was woken up last night with contrax and some pressure but nothing came of it...just more body preparation. i have 3 more days (including today) of on-call, so he can come any time after that, lol!!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#3 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 11:08 AM

My SIL is due Jan 1st and had been thinking the little guy would come early. Her husband stopped work Dec 18 so she was thinking any day after that. I think she's having a really rough day today, poor lady

Yesterday was a horrible day for me. I kept crying at the drop of a hat and was cranky and furious about EVERYTHING. Thankfully DH had the day off- I got out of bed late, I didn't make any meals, I didn't change a single diaper, then I went out to see Avatar in an IMAX theatre with my brother, which was SO worth it, and headed downtown to see fireworks (which didn't happen )

Which means I am much more equipped to deal with today. I'm groggy from staying up so late but I have cleaning to do because DH is inviting a couple of work people back here when he's done his shift.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#4 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Indigo- Thanks so much! I know that I am very lucky to carry the babies this long. Hope your baby waits until after your on-call days!

Astraia- I have been really emotional lately too.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#5 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 12:37 PM

And another one that has been quite emotional too. I have to go into the hospital this morning for an NST and another check on fluid - if my fluid levels keep rising, they might push the amnio and then the induction. I'm worried about the amnio - baby is so super active and has been from the beginning, I'm afraid she'll jump right into the needle and hurt herself. Maybe that's irrational but I can't help but think it. 2010 is bringing so many changes for us, this baby due and my husband leaves in 45 days and I won't see him for ten months and I start school in a week , something I haven't even given much thought to because I am so focused on this LO. Hopefully everything is still going good in there, at least she reassures me with her activity. Hugs to all the mamas...may 2010 bring wonderful things.

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#6 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 01:09 PM

remijo - That IS a lot of change. I hope the amnio goes well.

Astraia - DH and I hated Avatar. I mean, it was fun to have a date night (which even included a restaurant!!!) but man, I felt so ripped off after that movie.

Mandie - ITA with indigoscot - yay for you for being so strong for these twins! I think you look amazing. Have you tried coconut oil on your belly? It could help with the itchiness. Or lansinoh/lanolin. I have terribly cracked heels and applications of Tea Tree Oil and nipple cream (seriously) have helped the situation immensely. Not that I would slather TTO on your belly....

I'm with y'all in the emotional department. My mom arrived on the 25th to help out with DD and be here for the birth. I was "due" on the 30th and despite hoping and wishfully thinking that I would go "on time" or "early," I am still pregnant... With no idea when baby is coming. My mom is getting on my nerves. DD is on my nerves. DH is on my nerves. I'm on my nerves. I kicked them all out today so I could be alone and sulk. I want to cry into my pillow, sleep all day, and feel sorry for myself. It's disgusting

My MW will be unavailable between Jan 9 and 11 for her daughter's wedding (exciting!) so of course, that's when I'll probably deliver. I have an appointment on Monday and I'm considering having her sweep my membranes... but that feels so antithetical to everything I believe about birth and babies knowing their own birthing time.

But seriously. I can't have my mom hang around for a month. Where is the "pulling out hair" emoticon?

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#7 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post

I'm with y'all in the emotional department. My mom arrived on the 25th to help out with DD and be here for the birth. I was "due" on the 30th and despite hoping and wishfully thinking that I would go "on time" or "early," I am still pregnant... With no idea when baby is coming. My mom is getting on my nerves. DD is on my nerves. DH is on my nerves. I'm on my nerves. I kicked them all out today so I could be alone and sulk. I want to cry into my pillow, sleep all day, and feel sorry for myself. It's disgusting

My MW will be unavailable between Jan 9 and 11 for her daughter's wedding (exciting!) so of course, that's when I'll probably deliver. I have an appointment on Monday and I'm considering having her sweep my membranes... but that feels so antithetical to everything I believe about birth and babies knowing their own birthing time.

But seriously. I can't have my mom hang around for a month. Where is the "pulling out hair" emoticon?
My due date is still a couple of weeks away, but I totally understand what your going through with everyone getting on your nerves. You think its bad just having your mom visit....try living with her lol. My husband, my son, and I all live here with my parents for the time being and its not that I dont appriciate the help she gives, but c'mon.....its your mother and when you have your own family, lets face it...sometimes you would just rather it be you and your family not extended family as well. I hope things start to calm down for you and you can relax in these last few days of your pregnancy!! Wishing you the best!

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#8 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 04:08 PM

Aww gawd, totally emotional here. Totally thought she'd be there by now but nope - I think she might try to hang on as long as possible, actually! It feels as though she isn't going anywhere - just hanging out in there! Oh well, what can one do?

I'm loving hearing all the other stories! I know I won't be far behind in the grand scheme of things, either. Been having some nice practice contractions which I've enjoyed immensely, believe it or not: bring it on!

*HUGE hugs* to you all! XxXxXxX

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#9 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM

On a upnote I went to a totally awesome little New Years party yesterday... Every woman there was either breastfeeding (right there, uncovered) or pregnant... It was just what I needed... all the kids running around lugging babies around (and the babies LOVING it). There was like 5 doulas there, and nursing toddlers, and super supportive dads... we did the count down at 9 and then suddenly there was spontaneous drumming and fiddling If my water broke while I was there, I probably would have stayed! Couldn't have been any better!

What did you all do last night?

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
#10 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Went to Pizza Hut, then came home - H was tired and went to bed about 10.30: I satyed up, talking to a friend until midnight, eating a chocolate orange!

Where on earth did you find such an AWESOME party? Wow! Is there an awesome party directory somewhere I can bookmark?

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#11 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM

We travelled 5 hours to rent this vacation home for a homebirth, because my good friend moved here during my pregnancy. She is part of this amazing birthing community, so thats why I decided to have my homebirth here. I have been fortunate enought to be invited to these wonderful events and they even gave me a Blessingway... I do feel TRULY blessed to be here and to know them. One woman I just met last night had me in tears at the party, talking about HBAC, and teliing me with the utmost faith that I can and I will have this baby the way we want... there were women there that had 4 homebirths, some unassisted, etc etc. Women talking about the benefits of eating placenta, and where they buried their placentas if they weren't consumed. So amazing...

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
#12 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 06:41 PM

I have a friend that lives in the type of community that nudhistbudhist is talking about. In her moms group, more toddlers are still nurse than are not nursing; she's surrounded by people who find it totally normal to NIP, etc. I makes me so jealous because in my area, I see someone breastfeeding maybe 3 times a year, and even then, its never a baby over the age of 3 or 4 months.

I put DD to bed around 9 last night and fell asleep in her room. I came out around 12:15. Oh well, we've never been big on New Years anyway.

I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable. The sciatic nerve pain is becoming more and more frequent....the kind of thing that makes me drop the F-bomb a little too frequently, just because the pain is so sudden and sharp. I'm only 37 weeks right now, but I told DH that as soon as he gets better (he has some kind of upper respiratory bug right now), I'm pushing this baby out. haha

student momma to two great girls

#13 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Today is my due date, and I was so sure she would be here by now! I too, have been very emotional and cranky today. I sent DH and DD to the in-laws, and am now enjoying some alone time. I know I should enjoy this last bit of pregnancy, as it will most likely be my last... but I just want her safe in my arms, kwim?

Mom to Amanda 19, Megan 7 and 1 in the oven due New Year's day
#14 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 07:39 PM

Woke up with a yucky cold and cough this morning. My ribs are killing me, my hips are killing me. I can't seem to get comfortable. However, my dh is home all weekend and I get a chance to rest up and then mid next week my mum comes over to help with the kids, who are on vacation right now. Some of the pressure will be off.

Just small things and I know they will fade away as soon as my baby is here. I am just so ready to move on! I'm not so much emotional or cranky as just tired and blah. I don't want to do anything - where is my nesting instinct? I feel like a big slug!

Mandie, i bet you see your gorgeous twins soon. If only we knew the dates our babies would be born I bet we could all cope with it a lot better.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#15 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 08:00 PM

I'm doing really well physically...just upset that my vertex kid flipped last night. As of today I technically have two weeks until my EDD so there is time to get him back to where I need him, but why couldn't he just stay where he was? Little jerk.

Other than that not much else going on. My husband had the whole week off so it's been fun, family time...and my mother and I are in a stand-off about god only knows what.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#16 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 PM

Yep, add me to the list of emotional pregnant mamas lol... My poor DH & kids. I feel like crying about everything and have to try reall(LLLLLLLLLL)y hard not to yell my head off sometimes
I never thought I'd have her early & I'm perfectly content to wait til she's ready but last night was a huge tease. I actually thought she could possibly be on her way and then I woke up this morning feeling nothin'. We walked around a mall for a few hours this afternoon and when I went to the bathroom I had bloody show which is new to me ... contracting again but still sure nothing is happening.

At least I can say I'm due in 5 days. My doctor gets back in town on Sunday (who I adore and I didn't want to deliver while he was gone...)

Mama to 2 little men (2004 & 2005) and a little lady who just arrived january 8th
Always remembering our little angels up above.
#17 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 08:13 PM

I hear you all with the irritability. Last night and today DH has been driving me nuts. I feel bad because I know I am being a total witch, but I can't help it. I am only 37 weeks with my first and I didn't think I would have her this early, but I am starting to get anxious with the whole not knowing when I will go into labor. I hate delayed surprises and do not have the patience for this, lol. I am less able to tolerate the comments about how I look ready to pop and 'you haven't had that baby yet'. Seriously, if I have 3-5 more weeks of it I may bite someones head off!

I am really feeling fine and shouldn't complain because I know that I am doing really very well. Things are definitely shifting though, my hips and pubic bone are achy and unstable feeling. My ribs are super sore still. And my belly feels so tight and just so much pressure- especially when she moves! I am getting lots of BHs and period like cramps, but nothing that makes me feel like it'll be soon. I know that in reality I could be crampy and uncomfortable like this for weeks.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#18 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 08:22 PM

I am stalking you ladies! It is so exciting to read about all the new babies and the mommas who are still waiting patiently.

I am still processing our homebirth-turned-c-section. After 3 perfect out-of-hospital births, I never thought it could happen to me. But it did and we are working through the events surrounding Edelweiss' birth each day.

I was so tired last night but pushed myself to stay awake because I wanted to see 2010 come in. Holding my precious and very hard-won newborn daughter in my arms, I was surprised by how much anger I still felt. Our final count for 2009 was two miscarriages and one live birth. It was certainly a "good year" in the big picture. But it was the hardest year of my life. I was happier to see 2009 go then I am to see 2010 arrive.

It is finally over for us. The fear, the worry, the anxiety, the waiting, the questions. It is all over. The sadness of the losses will never be completely gone and we will never forget the little ones who could not stay. But our family is complete and I am happy to know I never have to walk this path again. Of course she is worth it. But oh, the price was so dear.

I will continue to await your announcements and wish you all beautiful, healthy babies! Hooray for 2010 and sweet New Year babies!

Amy

Wife to K since 6/95 Mommy to "The Fellas" ages 13, 10 and 8 and our rainbow girly 12/09.
Always remembering my babies who could not stay '08 '08 '09
#19 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM

Amy

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#20 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 10:46 PM

Mandie, I can't believe your twins are still in there! It's quite an accomplishment but I hope they arrive soon for your sake...you sound physically miserable!

Remijo, it sounds like you have so much on your plate -- I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you!

You too, Angela. Good vibes for your LO to flip back...how irritating. Your MIL misfortune too...I hope it dissapates quickly. I know all too well what you mean. I tend to mentally start drama with mine all the time.

Feeling slightly better today, though I was really, really hoping she'd decide to come last night. I had a chiropractor do a home visit yesterday and his adjustments totally alleviated my crippling back and hip pain. I got more sleep last night then I have for weeks! So, if she decides to come tonight (hint, hint)...I'm rested and ready!

Cleaned today and took down the Christmas decorations. Tried not to be super irriated with DH who had all these plans about helping me with the tree, cleaning out the birth pool, deep cleaning, etc...then took a three hour nap.
#21 of 118 Old 01-01-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaheroine View Post
Cleaned today and took down the Christmas decorations. Tried not to be super irriated with DH who had all these plans about helping me with the tree, cleaning out the birth pool, deep cleaning, etc...then took a three hour nap.

We just put our Christmas tree up on Xmas Eve because my sister was visiting and wanted to be a part of it. Christmas didn't feel like Christmas at ALL, New Years was a total non-event, and I still feel like I'm waiting for it to happen. So we'll leave the tree up, despite the fact that DD is slowly pulling apart every ornament within reach (aren't many now!) and I'm too tired to care. I wanted some new ones anyway!

But DH had 2 weeks off just before Christmas. He was going to be sooo helpful . Instead my house got messier, I got less done then I would have if he was at work, and now I'm just mad at him for being a schmuck. It's a good thing he did everything yesterday or I would be VERY mad at him right now!

MIL's sister is likely not going to live through the night She's in the hospital (far away, unfortunately) with very end-stage cancer. I want to do something for MIL- she doesn't like cards, she's allergic to flowers and lotions and most foods so I have NO clue how to help her out or show her that I'm thinking about her.

Remijo- I'm sorry things are so tough right now... Yikes, 10 months away from DH, a newborn, and school. Wow! Lots to process!

Amy - I don't know what to say, but I'm so glad you have Edelweiss to snuggle right now

Oceanone- eww, being sick is lousy! I'm glad you've got a good support team around to help out. And nesting... eh, never happened with my first. I'm just glad my homebirth was at my MIL's house so no one had to see my house (except my mom and sister, who did a crazy clean up before I came home!) This one I've had low-level nesting since the beginning. Waiting for it to kick into high gear, but no signs of that so far (I still CANNOT get my head around the fact that I'm due in less than 4 weeks.)

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#22 of 118 Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 AM

I'm in the super emotional camp too. I had my m/w appt yesterday and started crying FOR NO REASON in the middle of our conversation.
I've been very impatient lately which I don't like. I'm sick of everything including myself. Blegh!

I gained 7lbs in a week and a half!!! How does that happen? I know with CHristmas I overindulged in sweets but I'm at the point in my pregnancy where I can't eat a whole lot because there's no room. I was expecting maybe a three pound gain at the absolute most which would have been bad but seriously... 7?! I blame it on the water retention as I seemed to have developed some serious cankles since Christmas.

#23 of 118 Old 01-02-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummies View Post
I know there is another thread floating around that goes until January 3rd, but I thought I would start a basic chit chat thread.

How is everyone doing??

I'm ok. I'm not gonna lie, I totally thought I would have the babies before I would even see January. So I am a little sad today.
A little sad? I'm starting to feel like there is something wrong with me, and I'm only 36.5 weeks. I'm starting to feel left out with all these births.

My baby is not head down(transverse/oblique), and I have no idea if she has turned and wonder HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR BABY IS HEAD DOWN??? Yes, I have visited spinning babies website. Yes, I try to maintain good posture, yes, I am visiting a webster chiropractor on Monday and I even ordered a Moxa stick in the mail. Oh, and I also went swimming two days ago. I think that helped a little because babe was moving a lot later that day.

Who knows. If this babe is anything like my last I will be 41 weeks before delivering it. I feel huge and I keep hearing people tell me I am HUGE. I should post my pic in the belly bump thread so you guys can tell me. It's just so hard-pregnancy the whole of it. The worry. If its not one thing, its another. I pray everything works out well.

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

#24 of 118 Old 01-02-2010, 03:26 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#25 of 118 Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I need them right now!

Angela- Sorry that he flipped!! Little stinker.

Oceanone- I hope you feel better soon!

Amy- Huge

seaheroine- Next time your DH tries to take a 3-hour nap, dump a bucket of cold water on him.

Mymary- I just know that they are head down because I feel kicks in my ribs. And my midwife says that they are head down.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#26 of 118 Old 01-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Nummies, I think it's so beautiful that you are letting your sons come when they are ready. So few twins have the benefits of being full term and they need it so much!! I bet they come in the next week.

Mary, I can usually check to make sure the baby is head down by feeling at the very top of my pubis -- the head still feels engaged, so even when I'm getting kicks/pokes everywhere, that is reassuring. And when she gets hiccups, I feel them low and on the right, where the shoulder should be. But I'm still having doubts sometimes!! You're not the only one.

I'm hanging in there, feeling sick of this and very done. Nursing my toddler is soooo uncomfortable/painful right now, which is making me sad. And my belly is so sensitive and sticking out so much, I'm constantly banging stuff into it and I hate it! My emotions are totally crazy, too. My EDD is the 20th but I think it will happen before then (by a few days, anyway -- like my DD)... I have plenty to do in the meantime but I would really rather have my baby already! Nevertheless I have a list a mile long I want to tackle next week in the hopes I can cross some major stuff off my list before the baby arrives.

Every night for the last few days I have dreamed about going into labor -- having bloody show, or losing my plug, or having my cervix checked. Weird. Last night was the exception. Maybe my brain is getting tired of thinking about it.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#27 of 118 Old 01-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
Nummies, I think it's so beautiful that you are letting your sons come when they are ready. So few twins have the benefits of being full term and they need it so much!!
Agreed! Why are so many twin births induced SO early? A friend of mine on facebook was due Jan. 6th and she was given a c-section at 34 weeks to be sure her body wouldn't go into labour. I don't get it?

#28 of 118 Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakims View Post
Agreed! Why are so many twin births induced SO early? A friend of mine on facebook was due Jan. 6th and she was given a c-section at 34 weeks to be sure her body wouldn't go into labour. I don't get it?
Yeah, same with a friend of mine. I'm SO baffled by it. If anything twins should be left in there as long as possible because they're likely to be smaller anyway - or so I'd think!

In other news- My MIL's sister died last night at 2 am.

And then at 6 am my SIL had her baby boy. She was due Jan 1st. He's 9 lbs something oz, her biggest baby yet!

Circle of life. Such a sad day but such a happy day at the same time.

#29 of 118 Old 01-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
Every night for the last few days I have dreamed about going into labor -- having bloody show, or losing my plug, or having my cervix checked. Weird. Last night was the exception. Maybe my brain is getting tired of thinking about it.
I had so many baby/labour/birth dreams with my daughter and haven't had a single one with this baby. Seems kinda weird....

#30 of 118 Old 01-02-2010, 03:13 PM

It sounds like we have lots of emotions out there at this point!

Nummies, I'm sorry that you are feeling rough, yet it's somehow inspiring to me to know that someone else is going through this, too.

Tomorrow I will have made it to 39 wks. I saw my HB MW on Thursday. As of last week, she didn't think I should try inducing, but as of Thursday, she thought that I should try castor oil over the weekend if I wanted. I was going to do it yesterday, but was such an emotional wreck that I didn't want to bring babies into the world while I was quite so down. So I am trying it today. DH is in a better mood today, too. We were both having a rotten day yesterday, and I think we were miserably feeding off each other's frustrations and discomforts.

I am not convinced that castor oil is going to do the trick, but I'm hoping! I want these babies out! I am so uncomfortable. I try not to whine too much, but I think that just looking at me makes people uncomfortable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page