jan VBAC-ers, checking in! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello mamas. how are you doing on the VBAC journey?

My first was a cesarian birth, my second was an amazing VBAC. I'm aiming high for a repeat fabulous experience this time around. I'm 39 weeks and NOTHING has been going on for the last week or so. NOTHING. All sorts of BH that were bugging me the week before Christmas have vanished. I'm feeling patient though and not antsy about it. Originally my MW practice was telling me I was good to go to 42 weeks as long as all looked fine. Today I got the "we might want to consider scheduling you for ten days post date." Grrr. I asked MW to check me and while checking me asked if she could sweep if she could get in enough. When I pushed back with not thinking it was a great idea (baby is posterior, I'm "only" 39 weeks) she reassured me it was safe and I agreed (sigh). She was not able to do much, which tells me my body is not ready. I have an accupunture apt tomorrow to try to get the baby into a better position and may do chiro as well. I'm doing a NSt on thursday and she offered to sweep again. Hmmmmmm.... really need to give that some thought. Starting some EPO tonight. Seriously, hoping and praying for another great VBAC, but also trying to balance it all out in my head, you know?

Thinking of all of you wishing us all peaceful births, and remembering that ALL births, no matter how they happen, are sacred. ((((hugs)))))
#2 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:10 PM

I am a VBAC'er as well! Nothing going on her either - got a stubborn, posterior cervix!

Last time I was like, 2 cm dilated from about 35.5 weeks on but NoooOOO not this time! So I am hoping something happens to get things started at some point soon. I'm 39 weeks today...

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#3 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey there, momma! Don't stress about it. That baby will come when the time is right. This is my 4th VBAC, and the last one was 5 days past; my OB just had me do a NST and since everyone was healthy and happy he told me to have a nice week!

Good luck!!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#4 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:49 PM

I too am hoping for a repeat HBAC. No one is doing anything to me because I am going unassisted for pregnancy and birth.
#5 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Dea

I'm in for an HBAC also. My midwife is required to tell me how many she's had and it's only been 3! 2 transfers and one successful HBAC. I'm not worried about her skills, but it's crazy how uncommon HBACs and VBACs are!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#6 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Doing great.

37 weeks (by my calculations-38 by ultrasound dates) and last I was checked I was 2.5 cm, 50%. This is my third VBAC. I have gone just a few days earlier with the previous two, so who knows really.

No one is pushing me, my OB is great and super relaxed. Baby will come when he's ready!

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
#7 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Another HBAC here. I'm 38 weeks now and all is well. I too was feeling loads of BHs just between Christmas and New years and I was SURE I was going to go early, but now...nothing and not nearly the nesting instinct I was feeling before, either. I feel so super lazy and tired.

Now I am thinking this baby (due on the 16th) is probably not going to come until week 41 or 42...my MW said she would be fine with a 42 weeker, because she thinks I probably conceived later than I think, as I had only just given up the pill about two weeks before I calculate I got pregnant. Later than that and she'll refer me to the hospital.

My back-up OB has not seen me since 26 weeks. He gave me the thumbs up all around, but it has been over 4 years since my C-section, and they really did do a stellar job. You can barely see my scar.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#8 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 08:53 PM

So far everything is going good. Baby was breech up until we did a version at 36w3d and baby has stayed head down since then. My GD is very well controlled and my numbers are staying really low so that is hardly even a concern at this time. My OB is so laid back and casual about VBACing, it's great - makes me realize why everyone in my local ICAN group go to him. I'm 38w3d today and I haven't had a vaginal exam yet so I have no idea "where" I'm at in that regards. I'm hoping baby will come right around 40 weeks but we'll see what he decides.

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#9 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 PM

I'm only 35w5d but its looking good for a vbac! Baby is in a good position as of now, and I just discovered my hospital is VERY vbac friendly, boasting a 70% success rate! I'm excited and nervous all at the same time!

Summer--momma to Cassie (9-27-06) and Dominic 1-28-10
#10 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 PM

I am officially past my "due" date by 3 days. My midwife checked me last week. About 2cm dilated, 60% effaced with a "very mushy, soft cervix". Guess that means ripe. I have had off an on ctx's for over a week, probably BH. A few have grabbed my attention and got me hoping this could be it, but then they just went away. I am planning an HBAC, and will continue with that plan, unless there is a very good reason not to. Both my other children scoffed at their due dates. My babies just need to bake longer.

Mom to Amanda 19, Megan 7 and 1 in the oven due New Year's day
#11 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 03:14 AM

VBAC'er here. Feeling excited and nervous. I'm only 35w 3d but I lost a bit of my plug two days ago and I have had fairly regular - though not close together - contractions for the past few evenings. I went in to labor at 38 weeks with my first so I'm sort of expecting to go sooner than 40 weeks. But we'll see. I've been going to the chiro to work on optimal pelvis alignment and doing stretches to help with flexibility. Don't know if it'll make a difference but I hope so.

J+B = Little G (1/08) and baby S (1/10)
#12 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 01:51 AM

thanks for asking! everything has been going along just fine- the last ultrasound was done this week, and not only did my placenta previa (complete) clear up, it moved high- to the very top of my uterus, clearing the way for a VBAC. the baby is head down, although not optimally placed just yet (his spine is on my right side of my belly).

but here's a weird thing- they want me to go in tomorrow for a special test- an AFI. they detected that my amniotic fluid was too low, but it could be a total fluke. since i am so far along and the baby is big, it's hard for them to find pockets of fluid that don't have a baby part in it. and the baby is very anterior, so how is that u/s supposed to find pockets in the posterior? plus, the placenta was really healthy in the u/s- lots of fluid and blood travelling to and from the baby!i hate these tests- they just make everyone worry all the time.

anyway- i have been gulping fluids all day and have the damn appointment tomorrow. wish me luck. i would rather not have an induction in the hospital, which is what will happen instead of a natural labor at my birth center if they think that i am low...

other than that, i am trying to do swimming, perineal massage, and walking all the time to stay fit. some days are more tiring than others...

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#13 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 AM

I'm going for my first VBAC, so far all is well. I'm at 40 weeks Monday and have a dr appointment tomorrow, and I suppose I'll likely get some "what are you doing to get this baby out" stuff.

I am getting impatient, because I am bored hanging around town at this point and I can't walk far, but otherwise I'm in no rush.

I am hoping my hypnobabies and great doula will be enough to help me in this birth, the hospital is small so they do tend to be a bit pro-active since they often have to call in doctors and it can take half an hour to set up the OR. But often there is only one labouring mom at a time, so that is great from a nursing care perspective.

I haven't had any signs of losing my plug, but baby has its head well (well!) down and I am very crampy in the nights.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#14 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillitu View Post
thanks for asking! everything has been going along just fine- the last ultrasound was done this week, and not only did my placenta previa (complete) clear up, it moved high- to the very top of my uterus, clearing the way for a VBAC. the baby is head down, although not optimally placed just yet (his spine is on my right side of my belly).

but here's a weird thing- they want me to go in tomorrow for a special test- an AFI. they detected that my amniotic fluid was too low, but it could be a total fluke. since i am so far along and the baby is big, it's hard for them to find pockets of fluid that don't have a baby part in it. and the baby is very anterior, so how is that u/s supposed to find pockets in the posterior? plus, the placenta was really healthy in the u/s- lots of fluid and blood travelling to and from the baby!i hate these tests- they just make everyone worry all the time.

anyway- i have been gulping fluids all day and have the damn appointment tomorrow. wish me luck. i would rather not have an induction in the hospital, which is what will happen instead of a natural labor at my birth center if they think that i am low...

other than that, i am trying to do swimming, perineal massage, and walking all the time to stay fit. some days are more tiring than others...
The reason the hospital gave me for needing a c section was that Benjamin was low on fluid...they tried inducing, but nothing happened to me...my cervix was stubbornly closed and no contractions happened at all. I REALLY wished I had informed myself better about low amniotic fluid levels at 37 weeks pregnant...A) Your levels don't need to be super high at this point. B) As you said the US can't necessarily see everything in there and as long as the baby is getting what it needs from the placenta and the umbilical cord is not being compressed, it's fine. C) These tests can stress you out causing the baby's heart beat to also appear stressed.

I also wish someone had told me to just go home and drink lots of water and rest, because really the best thing you can do is hydrate and rest (apparently on your left side is the best thing, but I don't know why).

Here is another bit of info I found:

Quote:
If you are close to full term, your doctor may recommend you be induced and deliver your baby early. Other treatments include:

Amnio-infusion during labor using an intrauterine catheter. This process injects fluid directly into the uterus to help cushion the umbilical cord during delivery and lower the chances of a cesarean delivery.

Injection of fluid prior to delivery through amniocentesis. Although oligohydramnios often returns soon after this procedure, it can help your doctor visualize the fetal anatomy and accurately determine fetal development.

Maternal re-hydration with oral fluids or IV fluids has shown to help increase amniotic fluid levels.

If you are diagnosed with oligohydramnios, it is important that you continue to eat well, drink lots of fluids (water is best), rest as much as possible, avoid smoking and report any signs of preterm labor to your health care provider right away.
--http://www.parentingweekly.com/pregnancy/pregnancy_health_fitness/low_amniotic_fluid.htm
I think sometimes these tests are just looking for problems where there are none, and often times these non-stress, non-invasive tests actually are the very things that cause the distress in both mother and baby. Tell a mom she is high risk and the stress it can cause actually can MAKE her high risk. So frustrating!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#15 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Going for an HBAC & will be 40 weeks next weekend. My challenge at this point is keeping my blood pressure low - it was creeping up during the holidays but I've been doing lots and lots of stuff to keep it under control and it's working so far! So I'm just taking it day by day and holding out for my home birth! It would be great if the baby decided to come "on time," though. She's dropped, and I've been having very mild contractions, most days, for the past week, and feeling lots of pressure on my cervix. Yay, baby!!

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page