First acupuncture treatment today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally going to try acupuncture for my nausea which I've just had it with. I'm worried my homebirth might be in jeopardy if I'm not able to keep food and water down a bit more. I haven't gained any weight in the last 3 weeks - haven't lost either. Also hoping to encourage this lo to make an appearance. Tomorrow is my ok'd for homebirth date so if labor does start we should be ok - I just won't call the midwives til midnight

My appt is at 1 central time - should be interesting never done acupuncture before.

Any one else using acupuncture?

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#2 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:10 PM

Ooo exciting!

I've been receiving regular acupuncture treatments since February/after my miscarriage. I LOVE it and feel it is incredibly powerful.

I have my regular appointment next week, but I'm going to ask for some labor inducing treatment as well. (If it hasn't happened on it's own.)

I hope you'll enjoy it and that it will help with your nausea/bringing on labor. Let us know how it goes!

loving mr bub, our baby boy bub (1/2010) and excitedly expecting (6/2011)!!
#3 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:17 PM

I hope it works for you!

I did acupuncture to prepare my body for my IVF cycle with my son. It was amazing!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#4 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM

I hope it works - I did acupuncture for a never problem in my back and it really helped strengthen the responses (I was leaning back and losing sensation in my legs).

I know I go on and on about this but I'm gonna mention it again because it helped me: if for any reason the nausea doesn't subside with the acupuncture, you might want to try Zantac. I was throwing up continuously together with the reflux at about 30 weeks on - I bore that for just weeks and weeks before finally telling my doc, who put me on Zantac 150 (the generic equivalent, anyway). Since then I've taken 2 tablets a day, one every 12 hours, with a big glass of water, and the nausea completely vanished.

I'd actually been losing weight before that. Then, I started gaining at a normal rate and felt SO much better. If the acupuncture works for you, that's fabulous but if not, maybe try the Zantac one time - it helped immediately with me - I mean, immediately.

Anyway there we are XxX

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#5 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
).

I know I go on and on about this but I'm gonna mention it again because it helped me: if for any reason the nausea doesn't subside with the acupuncture, you might want to try Zantac. I was throwing up continuously together with the reflux at about 30 weeks on - I bore that for just weeks and weeks before finally telling my doc, who put me on Zantac 150 (the generic equivalent, anyway). Since then I've taken 2 tablets a day, one every 12 hours, with a big glass of water, and the nausea completely vanished.
I've been taking zantac twice a day, zofran when needed and b6/unisom combo. When the zofran wears off I throw up - and I hate the constipation. The b6/unisom combo worked for a couple of days but isn't consistently helpful. I couldn't make it through most afternoons and evenings without the zantac. I usually throw up at night between 11 and midnight.

Acupuncture is the only thing I haven't tried. My mom was sick through her pregnancies and my sister too - but with dd I was hardly sick at all - just proof that each pregnancy is different.

Comfy Cozy Diapers

#6 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 PM

Bless your heart! I really hope the acupuncture gives you some relief. I did acupuncture to turn JingleBelle from breech to vertex and enjoyed the treatments. It is a fascinating model of wellness! Please keep us posted.

Amy

Wife to K since 6/95 Mommy to "The Fellas" ages 13, 10 and 8 and our rainbow girly 12/09.
Always remembering my babies who could not stay '08 '08 '09
#7 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Ah, so you are on Zantac already! It is good for nausea isn't it? I've had a couple of days in the last week where I've still felt sick still, and I think it's because of the hormones rising again as I get to the "home stretch" here!

Actually I was glad one of the Zantac potential side effects was constipation because together with the sickness I also had terrible runs for all those weeks, and by the time I saw the doc I was just SO dehydrated. It wasn't like this last time - I was sick in the last trimester with Josie, but not the runs, and not the acid reflux. You're right: every pregnancy is different!

One thing I've found has also helped is rd raspberry leaf tea. Along with it's uterine toning properties it's REALLY good for nausea. What I do is make a batch, leave it to sit overnight, then decant it into an empty gallon water bottle and put it in the fridge. Then, Ill drink it cold when I feel a bit yukky. It's helped me - are you drinking that as well? If not, do you have a health food store or a Co-Op that sells fresh herbs near you?

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#8 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Wow how cool. Everytime they placed a needle the baby would move around! About 30 minutes in it seemed like babe really wanted to move down. We'll see what happens - I was hungry on the way home and ate probably more than I should've - hopefully it'll stay down.

Appt again tomorrow - every day if I want for induction purposes. The place I'm going to is very reasonable only $25 and appointment. My mother is here until Wednesday afternoon so I'll hopefully get 3 appointments in before I have to arrange times with DH to watch DD.

I'll post if anything else happens tonight

Comfy Cozy Diapers

#9 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Yay for acupuncture! i've been going weekly throughout most of my pregnancy and I really feel it's contributed to why i've felt so amazing. Any time little things have come up (reflux, ankle swelling, insomnia) I have my acupuncturist focus on that specific thing and it's been so helpful. And $25!!!! that is such a great price! It's a lot more expensive here. That's great.

My husband and I are trying to conceive again, while missing our beautiful daughter who was stillborn Jan. 2010
#10 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 12:37 AM

An acupuncturist is coming to my house tomorrow morning for a treatment---my first ever experience with acupuncture. My midwife suggested it now that I'm over 41 weeks. Glad to know so many of you have had positive experiences with it!

Mindy, mom to Harriet (b. 10/12/06) and Baby No. 2 (due 12/27/09)
#11 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 AM

I'm following this thread with interest. On Fri I have an appointment for acupuncture as baby is breech/transverse.

DH is worried that it might hurt the baby somehow, but I *know* it's a million times gentler than an external version! But reassurance would be much appreciated!
#12 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 AM

me too! me too!!

My first apt is this afternoon with the hope of getting baby into a better position. Great to hear positive stories-- thanks for posting about this.
#13 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't get sick last night!! I did take 1 zantac but felt pretty good. Not sure what was going on but things were definitely different last night with babe too - maybe even some contractions

I'm hoping I have time to go walk after my acupuncture appt today to see if that helps things too. Then later I see my midwives.

Curious to see what happens for you guys that use it to turn baby - acupuncture was the only thing we didn't try to get dd to turn (she never did turn).

Comfy Cozy Diapers

#14 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Marylizah, I'll reassure you! There really is no way that acupuncture could hurt the baby. It's so gentle. And I don't know if this is what your DH is fearing, but the needles won't go anywhere near the baby. The main acupuncture point used to treat breech positioning is on the feet! The needles are really thin (hair-thin, really!) and they are gently inserted into various acupoints. The idea is that they affect the channels of energy that flow throughout the body. You will likely love it and find it incredibly relaxing and gentle. Does that help?

My husband and I are trying to conceive again, while missing our beautiful daughter who was stillborn Jan. 2010
#15 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM

I can't say enough good things about acupuncture. I had a lot of migraines during the first half of pregnancy and started acupuncture in late August. I was planning on just taking five sessions for the headaches but then got hooked It just made me feel overall so much better and really let me enjoy the pregnancy as I was a bit more on the anxious, worrying side before. I did a two-week rhythm for most of the time and am on once a week since my 36th week. My acupuncturist says that most women who were treated throughout pregnancy have a faster labor and don't have to be induced. Of course that would be great but it already has helped a lot and I never had these migraines or any other sickness again.
25 $ sounds good too. Unfortunately I have to pay more but we are able to use our health account for reimbursement and it is definitely worth the money.

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page