questions that are irritating me at almost 40 weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm "due" this weekend. Mostly I've been overwhelmed with positive and supportive calls/emails/texts/conversations, etc from near and far. BUT some have gotten though that just RUB me the wrong way but I'm trying my best to laugh my way though it. Feel free to add to them if you are getting any!

"When does he think you will deliver?" (Um, never seen a "he" for prenatal care and this isn't a science where they can predict exactly WHEN a baby will come. A baby will come on it's birthday)
"So how are you ready for all the pain that will happen again?" (Okay, really NOTHING I wanted to say back to this except, did you think about this before you said it?!)
"you must be SO ready to have this baby. You poor thing!" (Really? I'm actually okay and enjoying these last days, but, um thanks...)
#2 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 AM

I get the first one all the time! It is annoying.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#3 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
"So how are you ready for all the pain that will happen again?"
Two ways you could go with this one:

1)Oh, didn't you know I'm a sado-masochist and LOOOOVE pain? I'm really looking forward to it!

2)Oh, I don't find birth painful at all! Really, it's quite orgasmic. Then proceed to wax on about your orgasmic birth.
#4 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
2)Oh, I don't find birth painful at all! Really, it's quite orgasmic. Then proceed to wax on about your orgasmic birth.
OMG. that's the best response! I've been avoiding going out in public because I'm either 41 or 40 +2 (depending on the EDD) and I just don't want to deal with the Due Date bullsh!t again. (DD was "late").

Why do people care so much??

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#5 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
Why do people care so much??
Honestly, I think strangers (while out and about) are scared to death you're just going to drop a kid out of you Monty Python style at any given moment. Since 37 weeks I just responded "any day now" to strangers. It so wasn't worth getting in to with the cashier, yk?

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#6 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM

My reply which is half truth, half sarcasm is "Not soon enough"
#7 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 PM

I was "due" last weekend, and have quit even returning most texts. Especially the ones who text or call (Thank goodness for caller ID and the ignore button) nearly everyday.

Mom to Amanda 19, Megan 7 and 1 in the oven due New Year's day
#8 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Oh I have been getting lots, and I am only 38 weeks! (People are CRAZY).

"You haven't had that baby yet?" -again, I am not even 'due' yet!

"When are you gonna have that baby?" -"when I do" or "when she is good and ready" my usual responses

"You look like you are about ready to pop" -Thanks, haven't heard that one 8 trillion times a day...

"When are you due? You are NEVER going to make it"

The ones about my size are getting to me...particularly "That's going to be one big baby" and one that kind of got me at a sensitive moment and hurt my feelings last week was..."You know, you really couldn't get any bigger" -My shocked answer was just 'well, I think I'm going to have to, but thanks'

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#9 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1 View Post
I was "due" last weekend, and have quit even returning most texts. Especially the ones who text or call (Thank goodness for caller ID and the ignore button) nearly everyday.
This is my grandmother, already. If I don't answer the phone RIGHT. NOW, she calls my mom, who then calls me to tell me to answer the phone so my grandmother will stop calling HER.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#10 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 PM

I popped round the school I work for the other day to finalize my mat leave paper work and ran into a co-teacher who said "You're going to have that baby in the next day or two. I can tell because your face has gone all round and pudgy." With this really excited tone, like I should be delighted to be tld I have a fat face.

Thanks. I don't feel ugly and awkward enough right now, and you wanna tell me even my FACE looks too pregnant!?! Great.

I'm not technically due until the 16th, right? But as I have tried to explain to what feels like EVERYONE lately, it coud be anytime within a 4-5 week stretch. I mean even people who have their own children seem to want a DATE...I have decided to just start telling people that if he/she doesn't come by the 31st of January then we'll go in after it, but otherwise, it's up to the baby.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#11 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 11:46 PM

anything that comes out of my MIL's mouth at this point makes me want to pull my hair out.

when i came home from my appt. the other day she wanted to know if they told me when the baby would come and after apparently trying to explain in too much detail for her mind to comprehend that i'm not dialated, my DD is the 20th blah blah blah she still asked me when they think the baby will come.....i just walked away and prayed she'd leave soon

the less i say the better. at the grocery store today when the clerk asked me when i was due i said any day now, the sooner the better - mama's tired!

Amy
SAHM to a super sweet and sensitive 2 year old and a happy giggle-monster baby (1/2010).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page