January 2010 Chat Thread--Part two - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 148 Old 01-14-2010, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love it if, when I complained to my husband about my swollen, sore, aching feet he'd say, "Would you like me rub them for you?" instead of, "you should go get another glass of water, then."

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#62 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray's Mommy View Post
I can't wait to read about the birth's we know were happening...I wish they would update!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#63 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
I really want to make a chocolate cake and eat chocolate ice cream (thank baskin and robbins for the catchy tune stuck in my brain), but I have been trying to wait until baby is here to make it.
I've been craving chocolate cake so badly that I pulled out my recipe for Cake In a Cup to make with my dd tonight.
In case anyone else has a choco. cake craving and wants in satisified in less than 5 minutes:

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons chocolate chips ( optional )
3 tablespoons oil
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 coffee mug

“Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug into the microwave for three minutes at 1000 watts (vary the time just a little either way according the the wattage of your microwave). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don’t be alarmed. Allow to cool and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT! (This can serve 2 if you want to feel sightly more virtuous)."

I also add a spoonful of peanut butter to the mix.

In baby news... I thought this morning was it. I'm tired of the prodromal labour. Lots of cramps, lots of contractions, lots of lower backache, loose bms (tmi) that lasted for hours but then suddenly stopped around 10. I can be patient, really.. but I'm getting a bit choked that my body isn't making up it's mind. Either go into labour or don't.. none of this teasing crap! lol

#64 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:

I really want to make a chocolate cake and eat chocolate ice cream (thank baskin and robbins for the catchy tune stuck in my brain), but I have been trying to wait until baby is here to make it.

I really want to go to the store for a few things, but I am really not loving taking the kids with. I just want to go and be out without having to say "Stop that, put that back, get back here, STOP, be careful, stop screaming, STOPPPPP" YK?
Me too. Getting more and more stressed about the kids. Going to do that too. Wait until after the birth for something that I really want. Like a reward for all my hard work.

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

#65 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
I would love it if, when I complained to my husband about my swollen, sore, aching feet he'd say, "Would you like me rub them for you?" instead of, "you should go get another glass of water, then."

Did he really?! Do you need me to give him a talking-to about helping out his pregnant wife? Gah. Men sometimes.

Sorry to hear so many of us are feeling fed up and sore. I was doing great until it snowed last week and the snow stuck around (unusual for here) and because snow that stays is so unusual, no one has shovels or salt and the sidewalks are still treacherous ice paths... every step outside makes my pubic bone hurt and I am an achy mess by the end of the day. Here's hoping for a thaw...

No news on the baby front. Snow means the extra bits for our birth pool haven't been delivered, so we can wait a bit. I am thinking next weekend, maybe? You got that, baby???

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#66 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 10:41 AM

I didn't sleep last night (I stupidly decided to wash my pillows at 8pm and they weren't dry by the time I headed up to bed and had to use a body pillow for my head - it sucked) and woke up uuuuber early today. I'm still hoping today is the day!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#67 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 AM

Feeling sad today I am snuggling with my two kiddos as they watch the end of Sesame Street. I just really wish the baby was here too! I'm starting to feel bummed that labor feels so far away and I don't know anything about this baby. I don't even know if we are having a boy or a girl. I just want to meet him or her--NOW.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#68 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 11:37 AM

I hope this is it for you, Angela!

40+3 here and my phone won't stop ringing. Please come out baby. I can't wait to meet you! I'm so totally moved by JayJay's story and pix...I want to feel this LO come out!

The plan for today is going to the grocery store to buy and then eat some Valentine's candy. I was dreaming about those Brach's cherry hearts all night.

DH doesn't want me leaving the house and I've got total cabin fever. I'm afraid to go far and have my water break somewhere...but I finished *another* book last night and need to do something.

(The book, Casting with a Fragile Thread, was so intense...I loved it and felt so raw when I reached the last page, cried a little. Of course then DH was insensitive and rude so I went to bed. Do not interrupt my post-book emotional breakdown!)

I wish I could go to the movies. I haven't been since my bday in August and really want to see New Moon...if it's even still playing anywhere. My parents volunteered to come tomorrow and watch DD so we could go...then DH had a freakout about a baby being born in the theatre. ???? Somehow, I don't think that would be happening.
#69 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM

Last night, DD was up for about an hour around 1 am. I fell asleep at 2:30. Then I woke up at 4 am with ctx, which got me REALLY excited, because I went into labor with DD at 4 am 5 days before my EDD (which would be today for this pregnancy!). They weren't really regular but came every 5/10 min. for 2 hours and then.... NOTHING.

I'd just done such a good job of coming to peace with the possibility/likelihood that this baby won't be here for awhile, and it got my hopes all up and then dashed them. Between that and the insane fatigue, and the fear that my daughter's morning daycare would be closed AGAIN due to illness, when DH came in and asked how things went last night (he slept in the guest bed), I immediately burst into tears.

Sigh!!

Fortunately, DD's daycare is open so as soon as I'm done checking in on all the lovely births here, I'm going to take a long, hot shower and nap. I hope, hope, hope that this morning's activity means that something WILL happen for me this weekend!

Trying to stay positive...

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#70 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 12:55 PM

well, i had an appointment this morning and everything is still good. no swelling, my blood pressure is fine, and i feel good.

but, no signs of this little boy being ready to make an appearance any time soon. the midwife just smiled and said he'd let us know when he was ready.

and, it's so nice - the practice i go to doesn't bother you with internal exams until something's actually happening.

so i get another week of responding, "no, not yet"

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#71 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaheroine View Post
I hope this is it for you, Angela!

40+3 here and my phone won't stop ringing. Please come out baby. I can't wait to meet you! I'm so totally moved by JayJay's story and pix...I want to feel this LO come out!

The plan for today is going to the grocery store to buy and then eat some Valentine's candy. I was dreaming about those Brach's cherry hearts all night.

DH doesn't want me leaving the house and I've got total cabin fever. I'm afraid to go far and have my water break somewhere...but I finished *another* book last night and need to do something.

(The book, Casting with a Fragile Thread, was so intense...I loved it and felt so raw when I reached the last page, cried a little. Of course then DH was insensitive and rude so I went to bed. Do not interrupt my post-book emotional breakdown!)

I wish I could go to the movies. I haven't been since my bday in August and really want to see New Moon...if it's even still playing anywhere. My parents volunteered to come tomorrow and watch DD so we could go...then DH had a freakout about a baby being born in the theatre. ???? Somehow, I don't think that would be happening.
Do you expect your labor to be so fast that you wouldn't have time to drive for 20 minutes to your house? I don't know about you but I would rather give birth in the store if the alternative was never leaving the house. And go see New Moon, it will be fun. I am waiting for the next one to come out.

And I totally hear ya about reading "another" book. Except mine are pure fluff material. For some reason I cannot seem to be interested in anything else.
#72 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaheroine View Post
DH doesn't want me leaving the house and I've got total cabin fever. I'm afraid to go far and have my water break somewhere...
And you're listening to him?!?

Quote:
Do you expect your labor to be so fast that you wouldn't have time to drive for 20 minutes to your house? I don't know about you but I would rather give birth in the store if the alternative was never leaving the house. And go see New Moon, it will be fun. I am waiting for the next one to come out.

And I totally hear ya about reading "another" book. Except mine are pure fluff material. For some reason I cannot seem to be interested in anything else.
This! For both! I'd totally be leaving the house. I'm trying to keep busy to keep my mind off my looming due date (and current lack of baby & labour signs), I'd be going insane if I was cooped up at home.

And yes- only fluff. My head can't concentrate on anything real.

Angela- labour dust!!! Hope this is it for you!

I got in to see my Dr. today. I love that man He asked if I wanted to do the GBS swab and I said I wasn't sure it was worth it, so we talked about different abx they use to treat it (apparently I'm not allergic to everything they'd normally use!), the rate of infection in newborns, and then I mentioned that in Europe they don't even test for it unless you meet certain criteria like water being broken for 18+ hrs and he started nodding like crazy and being like, "we are WAY to interventionist over here!"

And he agreed to do postpartum and newborn care despite my telling him that we are going ahead with homebirthing but i'm not disclosing any details about it - like who our midwife is (that being, no one since we're UCing). He said, "I love homebirths, I'll support them however I can!" So that was neat.

Baby is on track size-wise to be about the same size as my daughter, and his head isn't engaged (but he was very careful to explain that that meant NOTHING as a predictor, a lot of babies don't engage until right before or even during labour) so we're looking good.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#73 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Seaheroine - enjoy your movie! I went to see Sherlock Holmes with my husband at just over 38 weeks and was so freaking miserable in the seats, but the distraction rocked.

Question for you all...what does amniotic fluid smell like? I was so itchy that I put on a pantiliner today and it smells sweet...which seems odd to me.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#74 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 10:23 PM

Everything I've read says amniotic fluid smells sweet.... but IDK! I've never smelled it.

#75 of 148 Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 PM

amniotic fluid smells like bleach, it's unmistakably different than urine.

I, er, also think it smells a bit like semen which kind of makes sense as they are both alkaline fluids vs. pee or vaginal secretions which are more acidic.

ahem.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#76 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 AM

Yeah, I've been trying to keep my out-of-house treks 15min away or less...last time when my water broke, the contractions were so intense immediately and I don't know if I could drive through them...it was like a TKO. I was floored but hopefully better this time now that I know what to expect.

BUT my Mom surprised me today! Came over and we went to the mall where she forced me to waddle around for 5+ hours. We bought baby clothes, candy and new (get-inshape) shoes, lol. Even went to Tarjay after that for bubble bath and assorted goodies. I really, really needed to get away from the house and have a break from obsessing about toilet paper. I also got to take TWO baths, what a treat!

She and my Dad agreed to come play with DD tomorrow, too, so we can go to the movies. Either Avatar or New Moon...DH isn't as excited about Robert Pattinson as I am, so maybe Avatar. Doesn't matter...I can't wait!

(Watch the baby be born tonight now that I have an AGENDA, lol)

Last time my amniotic fluid smelled...unique. I'd have called it sweet, I think. Do you have any litmus paper? Maybe the local pharmacies won't mistake it for art or bomb-making supplies, lol. I think the pH will turn the paper dark blue/royal purple...apparently hardware stores carry it, too.

This will be a weekend of babies, I know it!
#77 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
and he started nodding like crazy and being like, "we are WAY to interventionist over here!"

And he agreed to do postpartum and newborn care despite my telling him that we are going ahead with homebirthing but i'm not disclosing any details about it - like who our midwife is (that being, no one since we're UCing). He said, "I love homebirths, I'll support them however I can!"
Wow, what a find! I wish I could find a doctor remotely that supportive!
#78 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 AM

I went to the movies tonight and to lunch with husband. My two sisters agreed to watch the kids-isn't that nice!!! And they even kept the 3 year old over night tonight. Only have one baby here and it is so easy to keep her quiet.

For the past couple days I have been walking on a trail with my sister and the kids. Last time on the way back I was feeling like it was almost too much to get back. Like I was walking to China. I like it though. Makes me feel like I am doing something.

Although, I am starting to feel like a real sideshow when I go out. Its just so obvious how HUGE I am and I really feel like people just stare at me. I dont know why I am bothered by it so much this pg? I used to think it was neat that I was special, but now I just feel much more like an alien.

Also, I dont know if you guys feel this, but I really feel like I am just sitting on a tightrope kind of. Like I am in between these two worlds. I just want to get to the other side.

Is feeling antsy a sure sign that it is soon. For all you guys that have done this a couple times. Did that always signal the end. I just feel UNEASY. Thats a good word for it.

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

#79 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Prodromal labor all day yesterday. Finally got some rest but now... nothing. Prenatal today. I'm kind of blue, I was really excited yesterday but now I wonder if the baby is going to wait awhile longer.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#80 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 12:18 PM

So excited to finally have a little bit of progress!! I am 39 weeks today. Last week Tuesday my doctor was going to check my cervix and sweep my membranes, but my cervix was really far back and she didn't want to push it. All week there has been no change, no change, no change. This morning I went to check and bam! It's right there, in the front, soft and open. I'm also having a ton of pressure that makes it hard to stand. I know that I could walk around forever slightly dilated but it has given me renewed strength that my body IS doing something and this baby IS coming out eventually.

I had a really bad night with my hips so we are going to go walk the mall to loosen things up. When we get back dh is going to brew a batch of beer while I relax and hopefully have a comfortable and productive afternoon pregnancy wise. And the best part about him brewing today is I will get a spotless and fully sanitized kitchen out of it.

#81 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 02:03 PM

I guess I might as well join this thread since I check our DDC about 300 times a day. Hoping this weekend brings lots of new babies into our DDC, including mine! LOL I keep going to bed each night thinking, tonight could be it! and then I wake up disappointed. Ohhh well, one of these days...

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#82 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymary View Post
Also, I dont know if you guys feel this, but I really feel like I am just sitting on a tightrope kind of. Like I am in between these two worlds. I just want to get to the other side.

Is feeling antsy a sure sign that it is soon. For all you guys that have done this a couple times. Did that always signal the end. I just feel UNEASY. Thats a good word for it.
YES! This is how I feel. However I really had no signs of labor until menstrual like contractions started. I remember my friend saying something about how quiet my son was being and that maybe he knew what was happening- went into labor that night.

But I HIGHLY doubt I will have any such luck now that I have two screamers for kids.
#83 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Question for you all...what does amniotic fluid smell like? I was so itchy that I put on a pantiliner today and it smells sweet...which seems odd to me.
I've read that the fluid often smells like what you eat.
#84 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 03:02 PM

Mymary- I think every day I feel more weird and unsettled and like I'm walking on a tightrope.... Hopefully it peaks and starts dropping off soon, I feel like something HAS to happen or I'm going to explode! (which makes my temper rather volatile, as well).

Strawberryfields- SIL's husband brews... you can always tell when he's been brewing because their kitchen is a DISASTER. Your husband should give her husband some tips

Still nothing happening here, baby-wise.

DD tricked me - AGAIN- with this whole napping idea. We did her nap routine, she nursed until basically asleep and then popped up like she'd just had a 2 hour nap and refusing to even look tired afterwards. I HATE when she does that! It makes me so IRRITATED. Add this into a lousy night where she was up EVERY HOUR and we're both very cranky from lack of sleep.

#85 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Strawberryfields- SIL's husband brews... you can always tell when he's been brewing because their kitchen is a DISASTER. Your husband should give her husband some tips
Ha, dh's good friend brews too and his wife is even luckier. He mops the floor when he is done because of all the little miscellaneous spills! I am not that lucky.

#86 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 07:20 PM

Finally, I just went to the bathroom & had a chunk of mucous on the TP. Yay!! I know that means nothing in regards to when I'll go in labor but I'm so glad to finally see something happening.

#87 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Something happening is so much better than nothing happening.

Congratulations on something!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#88 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
So excited to finally have a little bit of progress!! I am 39 weeks today.
How exciting! I hope things progress for you. I can truly sympathise with the hip thing.

I also had little contractions last night that kept me awake. this morning instead of petering off like usual they continued. Now I'm up to about 5 mins and just had a wee bit of bloody show. I think today's the day! And it's my birthday too! 41 weeks exactly so I am def. ready!

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#89 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanone View Post
I also had little contractions last night that kept me awake. this morning instead of petering off like usual they continued. Now I'm up to about 5 mins and just had a wee bit of bloody show. I think today's the day! And it's my birthday too! 41 weeks exactly so I am def. ready!
Ooooh how exciting! I hope it's your day!

#90 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanone View Post
How exciting! I hope things progress for you. I can truly sympathise with the hip thing.

Ooohh fingers and toes crossed!!! The best birthday gift. You must be so excited!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page