Mothering Forum banner

Covert snacks for the hospital

1K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  MEcatlady17 
#1 ·
Has anyone snuck 'illegal' nourishment into their hospital birth?

The hospital I'm going to only allows clear liquids.

When I was in my 5 days of painful prodromal labor with my first, I did not want to eat, but feel I might need nourishment this time, especially if I end up with a long labor.

Have you ever snuck food in? If so, what? Did you even want food?

I've been trying to think how I could make little bite-size sunbutter packs...or maybe bring honey sticks?

Although I've always tested negative for blood sugar problems, I definitely feel really horrible when my blood sugar gets low. I know once I go into true labor my body will switch to a different mode though.

#6 ·
A bag of cashews or trail mix, a protein shake in a can like Spiruteen, stuff like that can fit pretty easily in your bag and you can nosh while they're out of the room. What can they do? It's just a policy, and they can't make you abide by it just because they have to! We snuck in all kinds of stuff - somebody made us a carrot/walnut bread and we brought the whole thing in! Dh was hungry too, after all! They noticed, but all we got were disapproving looks.

#7 ·
We don't have a rule like that at our hospital, but in our tranfer bag, we have granola bars and the like - you really can bring in whatever you like and pretend it's your husband's!

#8 ·
As a patient, you have rights, and not going with policy, including eating is one of those rights. Studies have shown that there are no more negative outcomes of eating and drinking in labour... I would bring whatever you feel like eating and just doing it.

Here is an article that you could bring with you if ever you want backup...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/143640.php

btw... when I was in the beginning of labour with ds#2 the midwife sent us out for thai food across the street... it was delicious

#10 ·
I always bring juice ice cubes for my clients to the hospital, and some bland kashi cereal, bananas, and some applesauce, and a couple of juice boxes of clear juices. We have some similar things in our transfer bag. I think the key thing is, that for me vomiting is a part of labor... at least around transition so I don't eat anything that would be horrible coming back up (like milk or meat)
Hope this helps.

#11 ·
if it were me (and maybe this is just because i'm in a pissy mood anyways)...

i'd bring whatever i wanted in the bag, and make sure i was noshing on a snack (protein/granola bar, something) as i walked in and got registered. and when they glare and say 'you're not supposed to do that', say 'well, damage is already done, no point bowing to so-called policy now...' and keep eating whenever and whatever. really, what can they do? take it away? somehow i don't think anyone would be brave enough to try to tackle a pregnant woman in labor to take her food away...

#12 ·
I didn't sneak anything. I ordered a big Turkey, swiss sandwich from the cafeteria when I was in the hospital with #3. If they had an issue I would sign an AMA form.

I really refused to feel like I had to sneak food like I was a prisoner.

#13 ·
Seriously?

My hospital has a refreshment area for laboring mothers and their partners - soda, juice, sandwiches, etc during hours that the cafeteria is closed...and the whole menu is available during those hours.

I have a bag of almonds and a few of my favorite granola bars in my bag, but that's because I know I can't get the stuff I really want while there.

Think about it this way, if you were in a horrific car accident today right after having a huge lunch you think they'd NOT do surgery on you because your stomach is full? No, of course they wouldn't even think about it. WHY wouldn't you eat during labor?

#14 ·
I'm VBAC, so yeah-they're going to want me NPO while in labor. Ptttt.

I'm taking some granola bars and juice. I will just eat when the nurse isn't in the room and avoid any conflict.

#15 ·
When we transferred to the hospital, I ate whole wheat crackers and drank labor-ade the whole way there in the car. While trying to get Edelweiss to turn from breech to vertex in the hospital (at 7cm, no less) I ate peanut butter cracker sandwiches in the bathroom when the nurses left my room. I also sipped water with pulsatilla to try to turn her. When the anesthesiologist asked when I last ate or drank, I lied.

Amy

#16 ·
The food I'm bringing in includes trail mix, lara bars and other nutty type snacks. I might add some applesauce and fruit leathers in there - that was a good suggestion. I finally got the "clearance" to eat something at my last labor and I took one bite and was not hungry anymore so it's good to have those things but from my experience eating made me nauseous!

#17 ·
thanks everyone!

sounds like granola bars are on a lot of people's lists.

i've been eating a lot of pistachios lately, maybe i'll bring some of those.

and maybe i'll make up some little bite sized sunbutter cracker sandwiches.

maybe a banana. dried fruit.

yeah, of course i think the whole not eating thing is utterly ridiculous, but i'd rather sneak food and save my fighting for the baby's eye drops.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrt View Post
When we transferred to the hospital, I ate whole wheat crackers and drank labor-ade the whole way there in the car. While trying to get Edelweiss to turn from breech to vertex in the hospital (at 7cm, no less) I ate peanut butter cracker sandwiches in the bathroom when the nurses left my room. I also sipped water with pulsatilla to try to turn her. When the anesthesiologist asked when I last ate or drank, I lied.

Amy
Couldn't that be dangerous? I mean, if they're not prepared for a full stomach and you start upchucking? I would eat, but be honest if asked, just in case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akat View Post
thanks everyone!

sounds like granola bars are on a lot of people's lists.

i've been eating a lot of pistachios lately, maybe i'll bring some of those.

and maybe i'll make up some little bite sized sunbutter cracker sandwiches.

maybe a banana. dried fruit.

yeah, of course i think the whole not eating thing is utterly ridiculous, but i'd rather sneak food and save my fighting for the baby's eye drops.

This. I've got several friends with hospital horror stories. I decided at the beginning of this pg that if I had to transfer, God forbid, I was going to be the most charming complacent pg patient they ever had. Once I had everyone on my side
then the claws would come out for the baby's sake. You know?

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
Seriously?

My hospital has a refreshment area for laboring mothers and their partners - soda, juice, sandwiches, etc during hours that the cafeteria is closed...and the whole menu is available during those hours.

I have a bag of almonds and a few of my favorite granola bars in my bag, but that's because I know I can't get the stuff I really want while there.

Think about it this way, if you were in a horrific car accident today right after having a huge lunch you think they'd NOT do surgery on you because your stomach is full? No, of course they wouldn't even think about it. WHY wouldn't you eat during labor?
Mine had that last time, too. I thought they stopped banning food in labor quite some time ago! But I do like to have my own bananas, protein shakes, electrolyte drinks, and trail mix/granola bars.

#20 ·
It might be because I'm a VBAC. They have a lot of extra requirements for me. I have to get an IV installed as soon as I get there even though it won't be attached to anything. And I have to be monitored - thankfully the monitors are all remote and waterproof, so that won't limit my mobility...so they say. I also have the only 2 midwives with hospital privileges [CNMs]. It's my understanding that the other hospital in town doesn't allow VBACs at all.

It's weird how backwards both hospitals in town are, considering it's a very liberal town.

#21 ·
I just never got why I should lie, or hide it for that matter.

I am not usually hungry when I am in labor, but if I am, I will eat whatever I want no matter who is around. I just laughed when I was having my son and the nurse told my DH that he could have some sode but that I could not have anything. I just sent him back to get another one after I finished his.

If they would have asked, I would have told them. They just happened to not be around when I drank it.

#22 ·
I just do what I want. If I'm hungry I eat if I'm not I don't. What exactly are they going to do to me if I refuse to follow a no food policy? Steal it (take it away)? Stealing is going to cause serious problems to who ever does physically takes it away from me. I'm talking calling the cops or security. I'm not a prinsoner once I walk into a hospital. As an informed paticent of the hospital I know that there is little risk to eating while in labor and big ones if I don't. And any hospital/doctor/nurse who is informed will as well.

The no food by mouth order is mostly a hold over from the days of twilight sleep. And it's not like they are going to refuse to do an emergancy C just because you've eaten, after all they operate on injured car accident victims if needed after the accident no matter when they've eaten.

#23 ·
I dunno, I was a homebirth/emergency transfer with my son - to the other hospital in town. The attitude in the hospital is that home birth is child abuse.

As far as what can they do to you if you 'break their rules' or if you don't just go along with what they want...well, sometimes they can make things just tough for you in general.

I'm not worried about them wrestling away the food, I'm more worried about them hassling me and keeping the baby in the hospital longer than is really necessary because they feel negatively toward me/don't trust me, etc.

#24 ·
Sigh...seriously they don't want you to eat in labor at a hospital? My husband and I took that out of the birth plan 'cause we thought it is self understood to eat when you are hungry. I am awful when I am "undersugared" and we already packed lots of snacks in the hospital bag (mostly crackers, granola bars). I was even thinking of preparing some sandwiches when I am in early labor so I can eat right after birth as well.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by akat View Post
I dunno, I was a homebirth/emergency transfer with my son - to the other hospital in town. The attitude in the hospital is that home birth is child abuse.

As far as what can they do to you if you 'break their rules' or if you don't just go along with what they want...well, sometimes they can make things just tough for you in general.

I'm not worried about them wrestling away the food, I'm more worried about them hassling me and keeping the baby in the hospital longer than is really necessary because they feel negatively toward me/don't trust me, etc.
This is a valid concern if you must birth in a hospital.

#26 ·
Our hospital has a fridge stocked with sandwhiches, cheese, yogurts and juice for patients. I was encouraged to eat to keep my energy up but eating is the last thing on my mind when I'm in labour. Instead I drink lots of electrolyte type drinks and juice.

I don't get why you can't eat but for me, I prefer to be the placent (to a point) patient and fight for what's really important to me. Plus I too would sneak in some granola bars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.