Unfortunatly... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have caught a cold. And right at the end of my pregnancy too!! (2 weeks until my due date!!) This could not be worse timing. I really dont want to go into labor all stuffy and sick... Any suggestions on how to get over this cold fast??

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#2 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 AM

I've had a cold since before New Years, so I feel your pain! I'm overdue now too and am sure that is why. Take vitamin c, eat your fruits and vegetables, cut back on dairy intake, get lots of rest. If it lasts more than a couple of days go see a doctor (which I haven't done) and maybe they'll give you some amoxicillin or something to fight the infection. I hope yours is milder than mine, this is rough!

Desana 12/22/07, Freya 01/21/10
#3 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice. I hope you get over your sickness soon too!!

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#4 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 AM

Oh no!!!! I woke up this morning with a weird feeling throat so I think that I am coming down with one too--8 days before my due date. I am going to take a bunch of Vit. D and suck some zinc lozenges today. I'm too afraid to take too much C at this point because I don't want the discomfort of being constipated. Maybe I will just load up on some C rich foods.

I'm not stuffy but if I was I would probably do sinus irrigation too.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#5 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Sambucol (elderberry syrup) is amazing, and safe. It tastes good too! Oh, and for the pp, vitamin C loosens the bowels, it doesn't constipate them.
#6 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, its all in my throat right now. (my nose always feels congested... ) I drank some tea this morning right when I woke up and that really helped to soothe my throat. I just hope it doesn't get any worse. Feel better mamas!!

#7 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmeyer View Post
Sambucol (elderberry syrup) is amazing, and safe. It tastes good too! Oh, and for the pp, vitamin C loosens the bowels, it doesn't constipate them.
Must be different for everyone because it has the opposite effect on me and my kids every time

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#8 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Is Elderberry really safe to use during pregnancy? b/c I thought I had read somewhere that it wasn't.

#9 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 PM

We had RSV go through the house when I was 38 weeks and it landed my youngest in the hospital for a day. I had horrible bronchitis and was worried about labor since I couldn't take a deep breath in without coughing uncontrollably.

I took Elderberry concentrate (I asked a naturopath and they said it was safe), Vitamin C and upped my Vitamin D I already take as well. I was over it in a few days which was great because I was pretty sick.

I sit now at 40 weeks 3 days so my body and baby weren't in a hurry to arrive anyway .

Aria - 4 years, Miles - 2 years and Liviana - 1 year with a big surprise due in January 2010.
#10 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had one over New Year's, and highly recommend zinc, specifically Zicam. Kept mine from getting as bad as everyone elses. HTH. I was dreading going into labor and trying to breathe with a chesty/junky cough. Hope you get yours gone fast!!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#11 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 01:15 PM

That sucks! I hope you get better quick and before labor starts!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#12 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Every pregnancy of mine, I've gotten a cold only a few short weeks before delivery.
This time was at 38 weeks and I thought for sure I'd go into labour with a nasty head and chest cold. Thankfully it passed after less than a week (for the most part) after drinking lots of those vitamin C dissolvable tablets, upping my vitamin D and eating raw garlic (I chop it up in small pill sized pieces and swallow with water).

Hope you feel better soon!

#13 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all of the well wishes and advice!! I hope I get better soon too!!

#14 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 PM

Garlic and honey! I've heard of people crushing up a clove of garlic and just taking it in a teaspoon of honey- gross, but effective, I hear. And as others have said, zinc, vitamin D, vitamin C, and I've likewise heard fabulous things about elderberry (and I've heard it's safe in pregnancy, but never looked it up). And sleep- sleep sleep sleep (easier said then done, I know!)

I started feeling a cold coming on so I doubled my vitamin D, added in some vitamin C, and made DH get up with Nigella on all his days off so I could catch up on some MUCH needed sleep. It never materialized, which is awesome. I was stressing about being sick right before my due date as well.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#15 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM

I third the garlic recommendation (make sure it's raw, though, and try to get 2-3 cloves in you per day). I feel your pain! I'm sitting here on my due date with a stupid cold, and doing everything I can to stave it off. A friend of mine went through labor & delivery last year with a bad cold - it wasn't fun.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#16 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 PM

i caught one the week after christmas and i'm just today feeling slightly better

you have my sympathy because i know how bad it sucks. and, the unbelievalbe cough i've had has made me amazed i haven't coughed this LO loose by now. all it's done is make me pee myself often.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#17 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 PM

My homeopath recommended I take Ferrum Phosphoricum (Schüssler Salt) right at onset. It is safe in pregnancy and suppose to help really well. I have it at home but thankfully didn't need to use it yet. Also, I swear on nose rinses a couple of times a day. I do them at least every night before I go to bed to clean out any spread viruses and it feels good 'cause you can breathe freely after wards. lots of warm liquids, soups and rest.
Hope you feel better soon!!!

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#18 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
you have my sympathy because i know how bad it sucks. and, the unbelievalbe cough i've had has made me amazed i haven't coughed this LO loose by now. all it's done is make me pee myself often.
DS (20 months) and DH BOTH have whatever that virus is with the horrid cough. I'm so paranoid of getting it - I can't imagine trying to labor with that cough!!!

I've been eating raw garlic stuffed in green olives - delicious and hopefully helping to keep me healthy. I also do a tablespoon of raw honey mixed with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar - so gross but hopefully giving me some type of extra immunity. I tried the elderberry syrup and it didn't do anything for me during the last round of illness at the house

Feel better soon!

Amy
SAHM to a super sweet and sensitive 2 year old and a happy giggle-monster baby (1/2010).
#19 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyPeachey View Post
DS (20 months) and DH BOTH have whatever that virus is with the horrid cough. I'm so paranoid of getting it - I can't imagine trying to labor with that cough!!!
i've honestly been scared about going in to labor until i shake this cough. it's amazing how once it gets going i can't stop it and can't catch my breath correctly. i swear it sounds like i've been a 5 pack a day smoker for years with the amount of (sorry TMI) phelm and how deep it is.

and, the stupidest things trigger it. if i go to take a breath to answer a question or even just temperature changes - like going into the house from outside. i'll be so glad once it's gone!

wishing you the best of luck avoiding it!

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#20 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dese View Post
Take vitamin c, eat your fruits and vegetables, cut back on dairy intake, get lots of rest.

Hope you feel better soon...good healthy wishes being sent your way

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#21 of 21 Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I know I"ve said this before, but thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the advice and well wishes. I will def. have to try the raw garlic...its funny, I LOVE garlic, but something about having to take it raw (on its own or mixed with honey or whatever else...) really turns me off. lol. But I know it will be worth it!! Lets hope we all kick our colds in the butt and feel great SOON!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page