baby changed into transverse position at 39 weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I have a very long torso and wasn't showing for a very long time. Even now I might not look like 39 weeks pregnant but I was always measuring fine and so was the baby. The doctor was never concerned.
It seems that my baby has a lot of room to move and I am worried she got stuck in the wrong position. She has been head down for weeks and I could tell that she had an anterior position just by the bow or arch of my belly under the shower. Well, couple days ago I thought she switched to posterior and now I think she is transverse. I can feel something like legs and feet way over to my right side, a bottom right of my pelvis, a head on the left side and a slight dip under my belly button. I am worried 'cause it seems like she didn't change since Saturday and I am afraid she might stay that way. I have been taking walks, do all-fourth, cat-cow, pelvic circles and I can feel her move but she doesn't change position. The weeks when she was head down I had a really sore pelvis and bottom, my legs and thighs would be sore and now I feel all good again. Could it be that she didn't make it down to my pelvis? I just hope she will do the turn down and am wondering if I could / should do something? Chiropractitioner? Luckily I have my prenatal appointment later today so I will ask my OB about it but he said last week that most babies change positions during labor anyways.

What do you guys think? I really wish I would have a MW and if I will have a second baby in America I will definitely choose a MW over an OB!

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#2 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 PM

I'm not sure why a MW would make a difference - I use an OB and he can tell me exact positions.

Honestly, I'd wait and see what your OB says about the position and go from there. Chiros can help. Accupuncture can help. And some babies *do* turn during labor.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 06:29 PM

I had that thought earlier today- OMG, are you TRANSVERSE?

Nope, just very definitely posterior. I THINK it's a bum on one side, no idea what the hard lumpy bit is on the other side, and I know he's head down because with a lot of fiddling and poking I managed to find his head (it's hard when his head is in my hip- my muscles or ligaments or whatever make it very hard to feel what's going on down there).

But if I poke just below my belly button, my finger just keeps going- there's nothing there. If I sort of make a c-shape with my fingers and dig in and up (it sounds like I'm being violent, but I'm not- not uncomfortable in the slightest) then I can kind of "hook" my fingers under some part of baby. I assume it's a leg/knee

It does feel, though, like he's lying directly sideways in my belly with all of his body being slightly above my belly button. It's only once I start to relax and think about his position that I can start to visualize it. Sometimes I think a lot of this baby palpation thing is intuitive, it's so hard to tell with your hands alone!

Oh - and yes, I've been feeling a lot of pressure in my bum, feeling like I needed to poo ALL the time, and hip/pelvic pain, but it let up pretty much entirely last night and today, which is weird because we were trying to get pieces to make a diaper sprayer and spent like, 4 hours walking around this GIANT and ridiculous hardware store- just to find none of the pieces we needed Normally walking for 30 seconds is enough to make me start waddling and grimacing. It seemed odd at first, until I remembered that the last week or so of my pregnancy with my daughter, every ache and pain disappeared.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#4 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

I always thought and from what I heard of other Moms that MW's do more palpations and have more practical, holistic advice. At least the German MW's do. They are much closer to the families and more physical and personable as the doctors. And they are more engaged 'cause you see them more frequently.

Anyways, I still haven't seen my OB but will see what he says/sees this afternoon. It is a guessing game and I probably should stop reading and surfing and just go online again when the baby is here. I think I might be a little "hypochondric" when I read threads and start to wonder. I was writing that last week. It is this weird stage of waiting and not knowing, anticipating. I would have never thought that the part of not knowing when exactly I will go into labor and what it is going to be like would be so hard on me. Estimating the exact position is part of trying to guess what kind of labor I will get but mostly my fear of a surprising C-Section. There is no way to know. I read that too

#5 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 08:10 PM

If it makes you feel better, my sister had a transverse baby until the day she went into labor. She was very worried about a possible c/s, but ended up witha perfect vaginal birth. So you really don't know when they'll move!
#6 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawood View Post
I always thought and from what I heard of other Moms that MW's do more palpations and have more practical, holistic advice. At least the German MW's do. They are much closer to the families and more physical and personable as the doctors. And they are more engaged 'cause you see them more frequently.
I think people assume this is always the case, but it isn't. I live in a VERY conservative birthing area (MW *just* became legal here) and yet my OB does palpitations, recommends holistic treatments and knows my birthing expectations before I even bring them up. Perhaps I'm just gravitating to that because it's a common thing on MDC to bash OBs...when there are some great ones out there.

Either way, I hope your little one gets his/her head down asap. Up until recently I so knew that pain of wanting proper alignment!

Angela
#7 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Just on a short note: baby is head down! Doctor confirmed her position with an U/S yesterday. It is official now that Mommies head is the one to worry about

Trying to stay sane, Maren

#8 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 02:32 PM

that's great!
#9 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Fantastic news!!

Angela
#10 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM

Not mine anymore. Head is in right hip again, as of today's check.

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

#11 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymary View Post
not mine anymore. Head is in right hip again, as of today's check.
grrrrrr
#12 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

What's up with this that ... I had always thought that the babies aren't able to move much more once you hit the 37/38th week. Good Luck mymary!!!

#13 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 07:29 AM

I dont know what is going on. Its very unsettling that this baby keeps MOVING and MOVING. It was quiet for about a week and then a couple days ago, just started moving again, and when it moves , it usually gets into trouble.

I wish it would just get in the pelvis and get stuck head down, and it is a BIG baby too.

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

#14 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 PM

I'm 39 weeks today I think. . . my little one is still moving a lot too I think. She is posterior most the time I think but sometimes I just can't tell. And I'm also expecting her to be big around 9lbs, I wouldn't think she would have room to be doing all this moving either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page