Getting Back Into Shape - Strategy Sharing! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you all doing to get back into shape? What kinds of exercises, workouts, or strategies have worked (or are working) for you? How/what are you eating?

It took me a long time to lose the weight with #1 and I'd like to lose it faster (if possible) this time. Please tell me how you ladies do it!

Here's me so far:

Exercise: I'm 8 weeks postpartum and have between 10-15 pounds to lose (haven't weighed myself in a while because our scale has been at my husband's office - it's a long story!). I started running at 6 weeks postpartum and am jogging 3 days a week for about 30-40 minutes per run at this point. I try to walk with the kids whenever possible - out to play, running errands, whatever! I need to be more consistent about doing stomach exercises - my stomach is more floppy after my 2nd than it was after my 1st! I'm planning to run a 10K in May and that's my motivation. I love running anyway, but it's fun to have something to look ahead and train for. I'll just jog for now and get on a training program when I've built a base.

Eating: I'm eating ok. I haven't been able to give up my evening treat (a little chocolate, or a cookie, or whatever sweets we've got!) - it kind of gives me a little something to look forward to at the end of a long day, you know? I think I'll eventually have to give that up though to lose it all. Otherwise I'm eating pretty well - I think. I wish I could eat more fresh veggies here (China) - but it's a load of work to sanitize them! I need to get off my lazy bum and do it though - it would help. I'm not on a diet at all since I'm nursing - but I am trying to be conscious of what's going in my mouth. I have to work on enjoying my food though - with two kids to look after - I find myself often shoveling my food in quickly because I'm just busy or getting too hungry or thirsty because I haven't had time to pour a glass of water or eat a banana!

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM

hmmm...So far it consists of two twenty minute walks, half uphill with a 10lb baby strapped to me. I am planning on increasing that to two forty minute walks, and hopefully my baby will get heavier, too, providing better strengthing.

I do baby curls and lifts with her for arm toning.

I would like to add in some cardio and ab and butt toning, but truthfully I know myself too well. Exercise that actually feels like exercise is purely for self-castigation in my mind, the only pleasure I get from it is of the masochistic kind. I will probably have to wait until I am done nursing so I can drop down to minimal calories and really go at it.

In the meantime, I am eating okay and wearing a girdle, a low cut blouse and lots of makeup to draw attention UPWARDS, when I go out. I also try to laugh a lot as it helps tighten the tummy.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#3 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Why do you need to SANITIZE your veggies? Why can't you just wash them? Where in China are you?

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#4 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 PM

I'm two and half weeks out and last night I just did my first offical 'workout', a 30 min pilates tape. Kept up okay but was very careful to only do the transverse ab exercises at the ab specific part. In a couple weeks I'll add some weights or resistance bands to the workout I did last night. At 6 weeks or so I'm going to up the intensity to more of a bootcamp style work out (hoping I can afford the "intensity" workout by beach body soon after).

Otherwise I'm tandeming again.

I have about 20-25 more pounds(2 more pants sizes) I'd like to lose more (40lbs) if I don't gain some muscle. Ideally I want to end up back in 2/3 sized pants but 4/5 will do as 2/3's haven't been since just before I took the depo shot and gained a 70+ lbs.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

#5 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 01:38 PM

I haven't worn a size 2-3 since I was 10.

#6 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM

My exercise regime...ummmm

BREASTFEEDING! Yes! Honestly I'm losing so much weight just doing that that I think if I took up deliberate exercise I would become a stick. Not good. Like my curves!

Having said that, I think I am going to probably start doing situps with Bella (holding her, not forcing her to do them as well... )in a couple of weeks just tog et my tummy muscles back where they were.

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#7 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
well, i HATE running, but have done very well in the past with strength training 3-4 times a week and walking. I also have done really well in the beginning with videos, my preference being Tae-Bo. I will start my videos and body-weight/low-weight strength training in a couple weeks when the lo has a more predictable schedule. In the mean-time I just started walking with my giganto double stroller, and it is a great leg workout!

my diet is for another day. it is ok, but could be much better. i have too many people to cook/shop for, mostly little kids, so i just can't fix food just for me and for them separately. plus, i love to bake.

breastfeeding has never done anything for me in terms of weight loss, and i am always starving!!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#8 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post

i will be happy to get down to a 10!! even a 12 would be nice. don't even want to know what size I am right now, since my shape is so mushy.

#9 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM

I'm already under my pre-pregnancy weight, bit none of my clothes fit. My undies and pants keep falling down...guess I'm destined to wear yoga pants forever.

I would like to firm up, but fear starting anything too soon (3.5 weeks pp) since my stitches still pull at weird movements.

And a huge YEAH THAT on not being a 2/3 since middle school!!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#10 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post

Same here LOL I was a size 8 when I got PG and I'm still wearing my XL maternity pants, grrrr.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#11 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
My exercise regime...ummmm

BREASTFEEDING! Yes! Honestly I'm losing so much weight just doing that that I think if I took up deliberate exercise I would become a stick. Not good. Like my curves!

Having said that, I think I am going to probably start doing situps with Bella (holding her, not forcing her to do them as well... )in a couple of weeks just tog et my tummy muscles back where they were.
In the past I didn't lose weight until I stopped BFing. I hope that's not the case this time around.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#12 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For people that lose weight breastfeeding, is it a fast weight loss or do you continue to lose weight slowly? I'm 7 weeks out and while I only have 8 pounds to go until I'm at my PP weight. Only one pair of pants fit, so I'm wearing them. My hips are very...hippy. When does that go away?

#13 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 08:23 PM

^^^ I left the hospital at prepregnancy weight plus four pounds. Now I am at four pounds under prepregnancy - 3.5 weeks pp. I would not say it is fast or slow in regards to weight loss - it just is. It worked the same with my daughter and I came out 10 pounds under my prepregnancy weight with her.

Angela
#14 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 08:37 PM

i have never been anywhere near my prepreggo weight since ds1. if i could even get within 10-15 lbs of that, i would be smokin' hot! i've got 55lbs to go from here to get there, all gained over the course of 5 pregnanciesin as little as 7 years. can i do it? yes! is it easy? no! i've lost 50 before, now i need to do it once more.

#15 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 11:29 PM

I'm just about 2 weeks postpartum and I've lost ~15 lbs so far. Most of that happened the first week, and now I've plateaued because of my sweet tooth. In the hospital I had a piece of chocolate cake every day and that kind of set the trend. Plus my mom is in town helping out, so we've had cookies and cakes and deserts ++ from her, which isn't helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cativari View Post
Ideally I want to end up back in 2/3 sized pants but 4/5 will do.
This is me too. I was down into size 2 jeans before I got pregnant, but I was working out almost every day back then. I'd be happy with getting into my size 4s though. I finally got sick of wearing maternity pants so I went to Ross and bought some jeans, size 8. I was kind of secretly hoping that I'd be able to SQUEEZE into a size 6, but no dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post
For people that lose weight breastfeeding, is it a fast weight loss or do you continue to lose weight slowly?
Oh man, I'm hoping it happens over time because I was kind of banking on bf to help me get rid of these thighs!

Quote:
I started adding a huuuuge salad in the middle of the day and it helps me so much. I was snacking all. day. long. Now, only nighttime. I stay up with DS so DP can get some sleep and just snack on almonds, fruits, chocolate chips, etc. Not good when you're eating three portions worth in one sitting.
The salad is a good idea, I need to do that. I just bought a bunch of mixed greens and fixings, so now I just have to EAT it! I also think finding better snacks is the key. I get really hungry at night when Ela wakes up to feed, and up until lately the only quick snacks we had were muffins and cookies. So almonds, fruit, and chocolate chips is actually an improvement for me! But I'm trying to keep the trail mix to a minimum. What else can I stash in the nightstand for quick middle-of-the-night munching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
^^^ I left the hospital at prepregnancy weight plus four pounds. Now I am at four pounds under prepregnancy - 3.5 weeks pp.
I'm jealous. How much did you gain? I was hoping (well, secretly convinced, really) that I'd be one of those women who would lose 20+ pounds right off the bat, but the day I got home from the hospital I think I'd only dropped 5lbs, and I had a 7lb 12oz baby! I've since lost 15lbs total, but I gained 36. So I have some weight to drop yet.

As for exercise, I've just started taking short walks this week and I've been doing light abdominal exercises for the last week and a half or so. I don't have a checkup until 6 weeks pp and I don't want to wait that long to start real workouts, but I figure that I'll take it a bit easy for another week and then start upping intensity. Which probably just means longer walks

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#16 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 PM

I gained 16-17 pounds, but had a kid that came out at 8 lb 12 oz. So, honestly, the weight loss was all pushing stuff out and not nursing...the eight pounds since then was nursing.

Sadly, the old man told me my butt is now gone. Blah to the side of the family with flat butts!

Angela
#17 of 40 Old 02-18-2010, 11:54 PM

8 days postpartum & i have no idea of what i weigh i go tomorrow for a first pedi visit & will step on the scale. i lost all my weight with breastfeeding with my last 2 & hope it will be the same this time around.

i'll probably just start walking again when it warms up...maybe do some arm toning stuff too.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#18 of 40 Old 02-19-2010, 12:10 AM

10 days postpartum and today I walked with my partner to pick older son up from school. 6 blocks each direction, uphill the way there, carrying baby in the sling. It was just barely too much--my pelvis hurts now.

With my first, I gained a touch over 50 pounds, but lost about 30 in delivery and was within 5 pounds of pre-pregnancy weight in almost no time. This time I gained 47 pounds, but was only 13 down when I got home. I attribute some of that to water weight from the bolus they gave me. Now that's out of my system, I'm 23 down. Crossing my fingers for a slow but steady breastfeeding bump.

I've started doing some stretches, mostly for my back, and am going to add a few gentle yoga moves soon, maybe a little pilates. Once I feel more solid, I'm going to check out the Wii Fit Plus I got for Christmas.
#19 of 40 Old 02-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Dea

ack!
I hate being post partum. Hate it!
Anyhow with Trixie I did weight watchers and walked. This time I'll do WW again and walk, and I think I'll seek out a trainer. I had one pre babies and I loved it.
I went for a big ol' walk today and I am so sore from it. I feel like I just gave birth again. Achy! I'm3 weeks PP... so I don't think it should hurt this much, and we've been active, it's not like I"ve been on my duff eating bon bons these past 3 weeks!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#20 of 40 Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Hakeber - I should clarify - If we cook our veggies, then we just wash them normally with tapwater (albeit rather thoroughly). If I want to eat something raw (that I can't peel - like a green pepper, or lettuce leaves) - then I have to use a special solution (or diluted bleach) to sanitize the veggies, or I risk getting food poisoning. I've gotten food poisoning about 5-6 times here so far in two years (never from my own cooking) - and it's no fun - so I'm very very careful now! I actually don't ever eat raw lettuce here - oh how I miss a good salad! Chinese people are accustomed - in part because they rarely eat veggies raw, and frankly, they get a lot of upset tummies anyway (many just use tapwater on things like strawberries and get sick). Hygiene standards are different. I live in Nanjing - two hours west of Shanghai.

Oh I don't think breastfeeding really helps me lose weight - I actually think I hang on to an extra 5 pounds (or more) until my lo starts eating more solids. Darn it.

I agree - I hate being postpartum. I love love love this baby, but I hate hate hate what my body has to go through to get back to normal (or some new version of normal!). Gabeyho - you are amazing for 5 pregnancies in 7 years - wow! I'd like to have 5 (or more - we'll see when we get there) children as well - and it's daunting to think about doing this 3 more times. It takes a lot of patience and dying to self - which I am slowly slowly learning.

Anybody doing Yoga? I hate strength training (I know I should do it, but I've tried, and I just get bored and confused by all the machines.). I need to do something besides running to tone. I'm so so mushy!

I also have not seen size 2 since hmmm... kindergarten? Maybe?

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#21 of 40 Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 PM

I am 4 weeks postpartum as of yesterday. I am planning to take the dog for walks and get back into jogging with him once I get the okay from my midwife (still feel some achy-ness and tightness in my stitches [perineum]). Right now it is still too cold to walk outside with the baby.

Diet- er...not really doing well right now. (Says the woman who ate pizza, jalapeno poppers and ice cream for dinner...). I know I need to put more effort into not eating sweets, but for now I am just trying to eat. I am trying to add more protein to stay full longer, had an omelet for breakfast this AM and it made a HUGE difference in keeping me satisfied all morning and into the early afternoon until I had a change to get some lunch.

I gained around 40 pounds (was at about 38 pounds the week before delivery). I was definitely retaining fluids, had an 8 pound baby, and an extraordinary amount of amniotic fluid (the midwife even commented that I had a lot of fluid and possibly why I sprung an early leak). I left the hospital minus 20 pounds, and lost an additional 5 pounds or so that first week home. Then I plateaued and am still about 15 pounds above my pre preggo weight. That being said I was at my heaviest EVER before getting pregnant so I would like to lose 30-40 pounds.

Since this is my first baby we will see how breastfeeding affects my weight loss. I get pretty hungry so I will eventually need to get my diet back under control (more fresh veggies will be easier once I have my garden.)

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#22 of 40 Old 02-20-2010, 12:35 AM

Uggghhhh what a sad, sad topic for me. I am almost 5 weeks postpartum and I am SO SICK of wearing elastic waist fleece pants. SO.SICK. But all my prepregnancy pants are 0/2/4 and those seem light years away. Every week I try to pull on a pair of size 6s and every week I fail miserably. I don't feel like I will ever be able to pull a regular pair of pants over my hips again!!

I am having a really long recovery time this time. My belly is still really mushy and round, my hips are really wide, and I am still spotting red. It is super cold outside so no walks with the little one, and I am having a really hard time getting out with all three kids. I haven't mastered juggling three winter coats, umpteen huge fleece blankets, the carseat, the baby, the toddler and the preschooler, my purse/diaper bag, and all the hats and mittens and scarves. So I can't even get any exercise walking around, say, the museum or the mall. Plus, Rory totally freaks out every time we go out in public and I end up flustered and anxious. And then she screams the whole car ride home and it distracts me from driving.

I have a few things that are working for me right now. One is that I am drinking buckets of water. And second, I am just toooo busy to eat during the day and find myself grabbing a banana here, a carrot stick there, a muffin or some cheese. Definitely no time to sit down and nosh on huge meals or snack foods.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#23 of 40 Old 02-20-2010, 04:51 AM

Started out this pregnancy 98lbs, and gained 37lbs. I'm down to around 110 right now, but nowhere near fitting into my pre-pregnancy jeans. With my daughter, I gained 25lbs, but held on to an extra 10lbs untill I stopped breastfeeding her (when I got pregnant with baby #2. ). I'm 7 weeks post partum now.This time around, I have a little potbelly and some extra weight on my hips, thighs, and waist. For weight loss/ toning i'm breastfeeding on demand, walking with baby at least 30 minutes a day, and begining some yoga. Next week I have my first post-baby photo shoot, and my agent is begining to get more bookings for me, so I really need to put the effort into getting in shape.
Last week, I was so tired of wearing the same stretchy yogo pants for weeks on end, that I did a majoy St. Vinnies hunt. Scored a pair of Lucky jeans in 0/25 for $6!!!! , and i can JUST get them zipped up. My realistic goal is to at least get my waist and hips toned enough to wear them.
#24 of 40 Old 02-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I plan to start T-Tapp soon. I'm procrastinating.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#25 of 40 Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
ack!
I hate being post partum. Hate it!
Anyhow with Trixie I did weight watchers and walked. This time I'll do WW again and walk, and I think I'll seek out a trainer. I had one pre babies and I loved it.
I went for a big ol' walk today and I am so sore from it. I feel like I just gave birth again. Achy! I'm3 weeks PP... so I don't think it should hurt this much, and we've been active, it's not like I"ve been on my duff eating bon bons these past 3 weeks!
i took walks two days in a row, the second one rather long, and i hurt like nobody's business. I couldn't even do 10 body weight squats or lunges, which is so depressing considering what i could squat 8 months ago.

the only upside is, when you start from scratch you see satisfying results really fast!

#26 of 40 Old 02-20-2010, 11:56 PM

i don't plan on doing anything for another week, but it'll mostly be walking. i was walking the dog an hour a day right up until i was induced. i plan on getting back to that soon.

otherwise - breastfeeding/pumping seems to be doing a good job! i'm down 22lbs in two weeks. which is good, b/c i was very frustrated to go home from the hospital only down 6 lbs. i didn't understand - how could i have an 8 + pound baby and only lose 6 pounds!!?

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#27 of 40 Old 02-21-2010, 02:03 AM

Well I was worried about this the enitre pregnancy and I was right to be. My main problem is that I have a huge diastasis, like almost three fingers width. So yeah, first things first I have to begin Tupler exercises and go from there. Then back to yoga and pilates.

I fit into my pre pregnancy jeans, though that isn't a great thing seeing as they were huge anyway. I would like to get more yoga pants and perhaps some new shoes. Since my really expensive running shoes are too tight on my fat feet .

As far as diet, well it could be better, but at least I am not eating frozen food anymore. I sent DH to get veggies with a list and let me tell ya it couldn't have been worse! I asked for cilantro- he got parsley, I asked for cucumbers- he got persian ones (more of a squash). Spoiling all my cooking plans- helllllooo you cannot make salsa with parsley, or carnitas, or eat persian cucumbers raw (yuck). Can you tell I'm still

I'm have this huge belly that no longer contains a baby, but still looks like it- but it could be worse I could have the gestation of an elephant so I would still be pregnant.

I am almost one month pp, so will definitely have to step up my game.
#28 of 40 Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#29 of 40 Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

So make that a full 15 pounds that I have to lose . The scale came back from my husband's office and I made the mistake of getting on it. I'm Catholic and fasted two days this week because Lent started (not full fasts - don't worry - I'm not starving my nursing baby!) - and I hate to admit it, but I secretly harbored hopes that would help me lose weight (not really the point of fasting, I know, I know). No dice darn it.

Looks like it's going to be a long hard road. Why oh WHY can't I be one of those people who lose 22 pounds in 2 weeks? WHY? Wah!

I'll stop whining, put the candy away, and go for another run tomorrow. I keep telling myself that even if I don't lose another pound for the next month - it's worth continuing to tone and build muscle. And while intellectually I know that is true, it's emotionally so unrewarding to have that stupid scale not budge a millimeter.

I also need to stop obsessing about the number on the scale (or on my pants label) and focus on being healthy. But it's a weakness of mine, I will admit. I like being a lean, mean running machine. And right now I'm a curvy Mama. And that's ok too. Sort of. It's a new image for me. I'm going to have to grow into it before I grow out of it, I'm afraid!

#30 of 40 Old 02-21-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
I sent DH to get veggies with a list and let me tell ya it couldn't have been worse! I asked for cilantro- he got parsley, I asked for cucumbers- he got persian ones (more of a squash). Spoiling all my cooking plans- helllllooo you cannot make salsa with parsley, or carnitas, or eat persian cucumbers raw (yuck). Can you tell I'm still
Really? what is so hard about, ohhh I don't know, ASKING A CLERK for help if you're not sure, or just READING the damn labels.

I get the same thing, or I get "They were out." Yeah right...the grocery store ran out of celery. Im so sure!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page