Birth control - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sooo, what are you going to do??

We are NFP'ers but am seriously considering the big "V". Maybe that will happen later in the year-but it is so permanent.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#2 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 02:02 AM

Me: Mirena (got it last week)

DH: Big V in two weeks. We dont want any oops!

I also love the mirena for the no periods.

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
#3 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 05:24 AM

The only BC that I am willing to use is NFP. Surgery, inserts, and chemicals are just not for me. Though, I think the best BC I can have right now is two co-sleeping, tandum nursing babies!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#4 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 PM

as a same-sex couple we have the best birth control ever - no sperm! lol!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#5 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 01:18 PM

We used Paragard after baby 1 was born, and after baby 2, we plan on using it again, for 10 years, and then getting another one put in. We don't plan on vasectomy or tube tying, as both have too many "risks". Maybe, further down the road, we will get my tubes "blocked" with the spring things, so my body builds up scar tissue, so I won't ovulate.
#6 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Good old-fashioned condoms for now. NFP is great once baby lets me sleep through the night. But my babies never sleep through the night for me to get accurate temps before my cycles return. Even when I was tandem nursing last time, my fertility returned around 7 months.

Cute story: My dh was at our local grocery shopping for toiletries before our trip to Costa Rica. He said the check-out girl was about 18, very sweet and innocent. He unloads his basket of razors, mouthwash, lotion, and condoms and she looks at him and very innocently asks "Do you have plans tonight?" He said he felt like such a perv.

Wife to K since 6/95 Mommy to "The Fellas" ages 13, 10 and 8 and our rainbow girly 12/09.
Always remembering my babies who could not stay '08 '08 '09
#7 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Lactational Amenorrhea and FAM for us with condoms if we think I might be fertile and don't want to chance it. So far abstinence is working nicely as I am still only 4.5 weeks PP and not feeling up to DTD yet.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#8 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrt View Post
Cute story: My dh was at our local grocery shopping for toiletries before our trip to Costa Rica. He said the check-out girl was about 18, very sweet and innocent. He unloads his basket of razors, mouthwash, lotion, and condoms and she looks at him and very innocently asks "Do you have plans tonight?" He said he felt like such a perv.
When I was in high school I worked as a check-out girl at a pharmacy. One evening a guy bought a pack of condoms and at the end of the transaction, out of habit, I said "Have a good night!" You should have seen his face!

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
#9 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM

Condoms because I don't want to take the chance.
#10 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 PM

Dh is anxious to get a V but I am more reserved. We are both DONE and are not looking to have any more children, we do not want an oops. I just don't feel ready to permanently burn that bridge yet--dd is only 6 weeks! I want to wait until we both feel comfortable with it. Luckily so far I have never had a return of fertility before 18 months or so, so I don't feel rushed. Hoping to have a similar time frame this time and maybe be ready for the V by then.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#11 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post
as a same-sex couple we have the best birth control ever - no sperm! lol!

g
I've been dying to use the line I heard from some comedian about filling out a form. "What form of birth control do you use?" "Women." I wonder if my OB will ask out of habit or if she won't since she knows my situation.
#12 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 PM

I have no idea. I can't/don't want an IUD because I've had a previous ectopic pregnancy. The only thing I like about BC pills is how great my skin looks on them but I hate the moodiness and lack of sex drive and I'm worried about how it will affect my milk supply. I don't want to rely on FAM because I don't have a consistent sleep pattern and I know I do not want to have another child for at least another 3 years, if at all. I hate condoms. So, who knows. I really wish there was a male bc pill so he could deal with it for once. LOL

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#13 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 PM

Ugh. I'm not sure. I was seriously considering the mirena IUD, but I think I've talked myself out of it. I've taken progestin only birth control and had side affects that I don't want to deal with again. I swore I wouldn't use hormonal birth control ever again. I really would like to go without periods (endometriosis, pretty painful periods), but I am hoping that EBF will delay that for a while. I think I may decide to use condoms and maybe even try a diaphram.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#14 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 04:49 AM

NAK

we are using condoms and i'm getting the paraguard copper IUD this week.
#15 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 11:03 AM

I thought DH could get a vasectomy no problem, so that was our plan. Apparently his wife carrying muscular dystrophy isn't good enough, and they won't do it because he's under 30. Grr. Soooo.... I guess go back to the dr at some point and ask about paraguard. I do NOT do hormones, and I know paraguard is hormone free. We were doing condoms between pregnancies and relying on nearly constant breastfeeding as back up, but it obviously didn't work so well for us!

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#16 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Do they do tubalk ligation under 30? Not that you should, just curious. I knew they discouraged it under 30, didn't know they could deny one...Land of the free, eh?

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#17 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 02:32 AM

abstinence right now

I have absolutely no desire right now. I hope it comes back at some point...although I have never been a "sexy beast"

cheers,
charlene
#18 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 02:59 AM

I suppose right now we are just relying on breastfeeding. I didn't get a return of fertility until after a year with my son.

I imagine around 6 months or so we'll probably use condoms to be on the safe side for a little while longer. I don't want another pregnancy to hinder breastfeeding this one.
#19 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 01:41 PM

well no sex right now....

But when we do get the chance, we won't be using anything. We have to go through extensive fertility treatments to get pregnant, so I'm not too worried.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#20 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 02:20 PM

We didn't use anything after ds was born, breastfeeding and no return of AF until 10 months pp worked for us. DS was 12 months when I got pregnant with Sophie and it took several cycles of watching for change in cm to find out when I was ovulating. But this time I'm terrified of getting pregnant again (Sophie is most likely our last baby but I'm not 100% sure yet) and I'm too lazy for NFP so condoms and perhaps (non-hormonal) IUD it is.

#21 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM

I got the Paragard IUD placed yesterday. So far so good. We were both really looking forward to me getting it because we're really horrible about using condoms. (ick. sex w/condoms is not even worth it) For the past 3 or 4 weeks, we've been 'pulling out' (which is so NOT reliable, but since i'm EBFing we felt a little safer).

Anyway, I really hope the Paragard works out for us. Something that I can't forget to take/use is just what I need!

student momma to two great girls

#22 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 11:31 PM

I'm also going to look into the IUD option. We definitely don't want another for at least 2-3 years, so I want long term protection. Also I think medi-cal will cover the cost of the IUD which is nice, and much better than spending roughly $30 a month for the next 3 years for nuvaring, which is what I used before. But I think I'm over hormonal birth control.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#23 of 23 Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 PM

My dh had a vasectomy before we found out we were pregnant (conceived before the vasectomy, but we didn't know it ), so now we are good to go and I don't have to worry about birth control at all. I can't tell you how good that feels!!!

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page