Naps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do your lo's nap in the daytime?

We live in a two floor townhouse and Sophie usually naps in her bouncy chair wherever I am or in her bassinet in the living room. This has been working well up until about a week or so ago and now she only cat naps for 20 minutes at a time for a total of maybe 3 hours per day because my ds is so loud. He's very high needs and not even 2 yet so he cries alot and throws wickedly loud tantrums. I'm trying to work with him to calm down a bit and keep quieter but no such luck yet and Sophie's really paying the price.
I've been thinking of having her nap upstairs but because she's still so young I'm not sure if I'm ready for her to be away from me.

#2 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 02:19 AM

Skylar is definitely a cat-napper too. She naps on the floor in the livingroom and sometimes in the bouncy chair - we have an open floorplan so I can see her from the kitchen and livingroom. We also live in a 2 level townhouse and I'm not comfortable putting her to bed in the bedroom on her own yet either. We co-sleep too so I'm not sure what her naps will look like when we finally do put her down in the actual bed to nap. I think I'll probably wait a while before that happens so I'm not really thinking about it yet.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#3 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 02:56 AM

I'm one of those "weird moms" that holds my baby literally all day... Micah naps in my arms, or in the sling on me. He only naps laying down if I am napping/laying down with him. He has slept in the swing once for a 10-15 minute nap in the morning, and just tonight he fell asleep/stayed asleep for an hour total in the swing (and I was shocked but welcomed the break). Other than that, he naps on/with me. I put him down when he is happy, fed, well-rested, etc. in his bouncy seat or bassinet to get stuff done cuz sometimes it's easier than slinging him. He's 9 weeks old right now. I did the same thing with my other two and they started napping on their own in our bed (we bedshare too) around 4-5 months if I'm remembering correctly. Oh yeah, Micah also slept for about 30-40 minutes on his own in our bed the other day for a short nap. I was surprised w/that too (but also happy, as it gave me a break). Although it may seem like a lot and/or get tiring, it works for us for the most part & I know they grow out of it & are only so young for so long.

Oh, and my 2 older kids (almost 4 & just turned 2) are really loud & he sleeps through it all, unless it is an all-of-a-sudden scream/tantrum or they grab his feet, hands, etc.
#4 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 03:33 AM

In her swing, in the living room and she sleeps through everything. In fact she won't sleep unless we have the radio or tv on LOL.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#5 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 AM

we are in a 3 level townhouse. lots of townhouse people

in his bouncy chair or swing and/or on our bed.

if i feed him and put him down on the bed next to me and he falls asleep, i let him stay there and nap while i do whatever on that floor.

rarely he'll fall asleep on the floor. i guess he likes softer surfaces!

Sharlla - we're lucky as well. he tends to be able to sleep through most stuff. i knew from day one i wasn't going to be one of those moms who tip toes around with complete silence just because the baby is sleeping.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#6 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 AM

We live in a townhouse as well. We used to put Orrin down in his bassinet in the kitchen. But after fighting to get Orrin to sleep (nurse, bouncing, patting, etc) and then having Nigella wake him up 5 minutes later with her screeching tantrums or putting toys/books/whatever on him, I get REALLY irritated. Nigella would scream more because I was frustrated, Orrin screams because he's exhausted, and it turned into a horrible cycle.

The last week or so I've been putting him down in Nigella's crib for naps, the door closed and white noise running, with the baby monitor in whatever room I'm in. Yesterday he napped for 4 hours straight and was in an awesome mood all evening.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#7 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsamandaddi View Post
I'm one of those "weird moms" that holds my baby literally all day... Micah naps in my arms, or in the sling on me. He only naps laying down if I am napping/laying down with him. He has slept in the swing once for a 10-15 minute nap in the morning, and just tonight he fell asleep/stayed asleep for an hour total in the swing (and I was shocked but welcomed the break). Other than that, he naps on/with me. I put him down when he is happy, fed, well-rested, etc. in his bouncy seat or bassinet to get stuff done cuz sometimes it's easier than slinging him. He's 9 weeks old right now. I did the same thing with my other two and they started napping on their own in our bed (we bedshare too) around 4-5 months if I'm remembering correctly. Oh yeah, Micah also slept for about 30-40 minutes on his own in our bed the other day for a short nap. I was surprised w/that too (but also happy, as it gave me a break). Although it may seem like a lot and/or get tiring, it works for us for the most part & I know they grow out of it & are only so young for so long.

Oh, and my 2 older kids (almost 4 & just turned 2) are really loud & he sleeps through it all, unless it is an all-of-a-sudden scream/tantrum or they grab his feet, hands, etc.

Same here. Olivia will wake up once I put her down because she still has strong reflexes that are almost non-apparent when she is in mine or my husbands arms. We tried to put her in her crib just two days ago and could see that she is still too little and the crib too big. We don't have other children though to wake her and we live in a pretty quiet place. Hoping to put her down for naps at some point and keep co-sleeping at night.

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#8 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Melodie only sleeps on me or hubby during the day. If we go out she will fall asleep in the car and usually stays asleep in her stroller. I wish I could put her down during the day and have her fall asleep on her own, or at least stay asleep. I guess with time...

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#9 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 02:25 PM

I'm having the same nap issues. I feel like Holly is getting too old/distractible to sleep soundly in the living room where we all are... yet she's not quite comfortable with long naps on her own. I'm trying to lie her down on the guest bedroom with white noise more often and am hoping that eventually, she'll sleep there reliably. Mostly she naps in the bouncy or in our arms/sling during the day. She doesn't have a really set schedule yet during the day, but she tends to "go to bed" around 7-8 and sleep until 7 (of course she wakes to nurse but not "get up" until 7).

I will be glad when she's settled into more of a schedule... but I am cherishing every moment of cuddly naps right now.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#10 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 03:30 PM

In the sling, except for one nap in the swing a day that I use to nuse down my older one.
#11 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 03:55 PM

DS sleeps either on me or on the bed with the video monitor. He sleeps best in his "nest" and I check on him all the time.
We also tried the swing (works for a little bit) and carseat (only if he fell asleep in it in the car)

ETA: "on me" also includes a sling or ergo. He would sleep on DH in a sling or ergo as well.

sleepytime.gif
#12 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
We live in a townhouse as well. We used to put Orrin down in his bassinet in the kitchen. But after fighting to get Orrin to sleep (nurse, bouncing, patting, etc) and then having Nigella wake him up 5 minutes later with her screeching tantrums or putting toys/books/whatever on him, I get REALLY irritated. Nigella would scream more because I was frustrated, Orrin screams because he's exhausted, and it turned into a horrible cycle.

The last week or so I've been putting him down in Nigella's crib for naps, the door closed and white noise running, with the baby monitor in whatever room I'm in. Yesterday he napped for 4 hours straight and was in an awesome mood all evening.
Man Grace, I feel your pain. DD1 is constantly waking up DD2, and vice versa. It is horrible.

When she does nap, it's usually on the couch next to me. I'm sitting here all day doing schoolwork on the laptop, so she lays in a pile of blankets and her noggin nest. It was the same with DD1 except we were in the bedroom. Sucks to be sitting on the couch all day but if she has me in her eyesight she'll usually fall asleep.

She likes the swing, too, but I try to limit it as I really don't want her to have a flat head and also worry because she falls asleep really deeply...her paleness freaks me out! So, the couch it is. For now.
#13 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Same here. I do have a pack n play set up both upstairs (in my room) and downstairs (living room) so I have a spot to safely set her down if I need or want to. She will lay quietly and fall asleep on her own sometimes, but I just like holding her. I also sling or ergo her a lot too as I have 2 others. Sometimes I think hmm...housework or hold baby...hold baby wins, lol! We get out a lot due to having older siblings, so she gets some naps in the car or sling/ergo on me that way too. I am totally not worried about her learning to sleep on her own as her older brother who was a terrible sleeper now does just fine on his own at age 7.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#14 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 08:43 PM

Everyday is different. He seems to get bored of sleeping in the same place too often. Putting him in the swing in the living room is the easiest, but sometimes he just doesn't like it or my daughter messes with the swing too much. Sometimes it's in the cradle in our bedroom. Some days he sleeps a lot during the day and some days he only sleeps for a few minutes at a time. All this variety! I am not use to it. My daughter only slept in my arms. This guys doesn't like to be held. I think he has only slept in my arms twice for a few minutes before waking and crying to be put down. It works out well since I can therefor spend time with my daughter. Today is a swaddle in the cradle day because the swing batteries died. The down side to swing naps.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#15 of 21 Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM

I pretty much hold her all day. If a nap seems like it is going to be particularly long, I will put her in her swing instead. Like today, she was OUT COLD so I put her in the swing and she slept for 3 hours while dh and I cleaned the basement. Pretty soon I will experiment with putting her on my bed for naps, or in the cradle. Waiting for her to consolidate her little sleep/awake times into two solid naps first.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#16 of 21 Old 03-29-2010, 09:38 AM

They both nap on me. *sigh*

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#17 of 21 Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 AM

My LO naps in her crib for her first morning nap and then we are usually out and about for her second cat nap, which then happens on me in a wrap. Then another crib nap and then maybe another crib nap or another nap in the wrap.

If we never went out - she would nap in her crib every time. She prefers it and gets better sleep there. But I've got an older one, so we can't stay inside all day.

I'm glad she likes her crib - I do like wearing her, but not all the time, and I absolutely can't hold her all the time to sleep. I have no idea how you Mommies do it! I feel like my life would fall apart if I held her all the time - I just can't do everything one handed!

Her brother was harder to convince to sleep by himself in the crib - so I'm glad she seems to like it naturally. And she's a much longer napper than he ever was.

Now if I could just get them both napping at once. I have the same issues of them waking each other up. Small apartment here.

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#18 of 21 Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Same here...
the only time she is not in arms is when I put her down in the stroller to sleep late in the evening while I sew (after she goes into her deep sleep after 9:30)

I have done the same with all of the kids and don't regret it at all... I LOVE having them in arms all the time and I think that the contact is important and healthy.

My kids are also really loud also... 3 boys 3, 5 and 7... no problem at all for her, the more noise the better she sleeps it seems...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#19 of 21 Old 03-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Emma takes 1 good ( 3 hr) nap a day, in her swing, I put her in it after she's asleep and it helps her to stay asleep.
She will catnap other than that, but in the sling, on me, her stroller, etc, usually 20 min. a time.
She is a light sleeper as well and ds constanly wakes her up.
#20 of 21 Old 03-29-2010, 01:58 PM

we are early morning people so my LO is up with the rest of us by 6am. she has been falling asleep in the carseat as I return from taking big sis to school and groceries. the LO ends up sleeping in the carseat for 2-3hrs!

rest of sleep is on me or in carrier. the carseat is the only place she will sleep alone.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#21 of 21 Old 03-29-2010, 02:20 PM

Maggie will only sleep in her bouncy seat in my bedroom. If I move that stupid chair anywhere else in the house she will NOT sleep. She'll sleep in my bed too, but those naps are much shorter.

Christina, mom to Alaina, Addison, Noah, and Magdalyn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page