#1 of 22 Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much per session

How many pump sessions per day

How much per day do you get

Are you happy with the results

I get from 5oz-9oz per session and about 14 oz or so per day (2 pump sessions). I'm not thrilled with that amound and righty is better than lefty.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#2 of 22 Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 PM

How much per session - unusally only enough to cover the bottom of the collection bottle. so barely anything.
How many pump sessions per day - 10-ish. i try to pump every time he eats.
How much per day do you get - probably 2 or 3 oz
Are you happy with the results - not even a little bit

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#3 of 22 Old 03-30-2010, 02:41 PM

Usually 1-2 sessions always one in the morning 3-5 Oz, and any for missed feeding. I usually get about 4 Oz per session. So I've been stashing away about 4 Oz a day extra.
Righty is also better than lefty.

sleepytime.gif
#4 of 22 Old 03-30-2010, 04:25 PM

I pump 4 times at work (10 hour shift) and get about 10 oz. I pump pretty much at every feeding at home and will get about 2 oz per session. Since I'm storing up milk I would like to be able to pump more. My left side produces more than my right so I'm trying to get Panda to nurse more on the right to build it up since she likes the left side better.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#5 of 22 Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

I had a girlfriend whose milk went forever. She drank tons of water, used fenugreek (I take at least 4000mg) and made sure to pump the side that the baby ate out of (after baby finished) as well as the unused side.

When I pump with the baby at home, I do a lot of switch nursing.

Unfortunetly I pump in a crappy room at work--not conducive to good production.

Catubodua: What are you pumping with?

I have a Avent double electric (ISIS duo I think it's called). Works great. The other pump I used with my first was from WIC. Had a great motor.

What are others using?

What are you doing to increase milk production?

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#6 of 22 Old 03-31-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmueller View Post
Catubodua: What are you pumping with?
I am using the Ameda Purely Yours double electric pump. i've also tried hand expression and a manual pump.

i am the perfect poster girl for low supply

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#7 of 22 Old 03-31-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
i am the perfect poster girl for low supply
I'm sorry--are you able to breastfeed a little bit? It sounds like it if you pump and feed.

#8 of 22 Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry--are you able to breastfeed a little bit? It sounds like it if you pump and feed.
thank you. and, no, not really. however, whatever i get from pumping i add to his formula so he is getting some breastmilk.

i have tried to get him to latch/feed a bit probably once each day and he's just not interested in boobs now that he's used to the bottle. he will latch for a few moments and suck a bit, but he's not really feeding. he will cry and push away from me most of the time.

but, i have come to see it is what it is and i'm giving him all i can pump out.

#9 of 22 Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry to hear that. Good mothering and attachment parenting are not relegated to breastfeeding only thankfully. Our lifetimes experience to come as mothers will amount to soooo much more than breasts.

Though I in absolutely no way intend to minimize your problems and feelings about breastfeeding. I only wish you all the best and peace with it.

#10 of 22 Old 04-01-2010, 03:06 PM

I went back for a short time after my oldest was born and pumped for him. Some things that helped me were:
* remember to drink a lot of water
* eat oatmeal for breakfast (seriously, I noticed getting an extra oz or so if I did this!)
* try pumping 20 minutes instead of just 15, sometimes I would get another letdown which would mean an extra oz or two of milk
* get a picture of the baby and concentrate on that rather than on the pump...really think about the baby's smell, soft fuzzy hair, how sweet he/she is, etc., and how even though I could not be with him at the time, I could do this for him
* do breast compressions while pumping...sometimes that would help
* to get extra sessions in, try pumping one side and nursing on the other when at home

And remember, ANY breastmilk the baby gets is awesome! Pumping is hard work, and I commend all of you for even trying it!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#11 of 22 Old 04-04-2010, 11:09 PM

My big problem right now is that I'm not being consistent with my sessions at all. I'm working half-days as a sub at most and not pumping during that time. Instead I was trying to get in a session first thing in the morning or middle of the evening, but I tend to put it off if it's not a necessity since I don't enjoy pumping.

I can easily get 2-4 ounces per breast, depending on how long I'm willing to pump--I have a bit of an oversupply issue, so can definitely get 8+ ounces in a session if I'll go the whole 20 minutes. My right tends to put out more, but my son prefers the left.

If I teach full-time in the fall, I'll have to figure out a schedule and stick to it. I'm a little concerned because of the block scheduling, which means I could easily be teaching for 4 1/2 hours straight on some days with lunch as my first break. Not sure how much influence I could exert on my schedule as a newbie so that I would have well-positioned planning periods.
#12 of 22 Old 04-05-2010, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
How much per session
11-11.5 ounces.

Quote:
3--morning (8-9), late afternoon (4-5) and before bed (10-1030).

Quote:
33-34.5 ounces.

Quote:
Are you happy with the results
Yep. It's a lot less stressful for me to pump when I have little to no distractions (when kids are asleep or fed and content). When I was pumping 7 times a day it was very stressful. It seemed like every time I pumped they all needed/wanted something. Babe wanted to be fed or rocked to sleep. Girls want to eat. I do breast compressions throughout the pumping session so there really is no hands-free for me.

I do nurse him between pumping sessions and he nurses through the night on occasions.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#13 of 22 Old 04-05-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Vespertina: Umm--that's a lot of milk!!!!!! Are you doing anything more than I wrote out--if so--spill it girlfriend (not the milk)

#14 of 22 Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Vespertina: Umm--that's a lot of milk!!!!!! Are you doing anything more than I wrote out--if so--spill it girlfriend (not the milk)
It took about a week to get it back up to this point. Before returning him to the breast after getting his posterior tt clipped I was getting 48-52 ounces. I stored like 20 ounces in a day. I was trying to build a freezer stash. Went back to EBF, but realized he would lose or maintain weight if he wasn't nursing constantly and when he did gain it was very little. So I went back to pumping. There was so much anxiety before. I was stressed out by his lack of weight gain.

I took More Milk Special Blend and fenugreek back when I was trying to build it up. Did it for about a week. I have domperidone, but saw a quicker response with the herbs. I'm using a rental right now--Medela Lactina Plus. Awesome pump.

I miss EBF, but it was so stressful. He doesn't seem to take transfer milk well. He gets what he needs with pumping and I know exactly how much he's getting and I still get to nurse him. He hasn't shown a preference. He loves his boobie. I'll probably slowly reintroduce the breast full time in a couple months. Hopefully his suck strength will have increased by then.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#15 of 22 Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I just ordered it. I've never heard of anyone getting so much milk!

#16 of 22 Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 PM

How much per session
About 5-8 oz

right now one or two, but when I gear up towards the end of my mat leave it'll be closer to four or five, and I'd guess more milk per session, too. With DS I'd get 8oz from righty in the am while he nursed on lefty, then at lunch I'd pump both sides for another two bottles, then in the evening I'd nurse one side and pump the other, or if I had a late meeting I'd pump both sides

at the moment 5-16 oz depending on my needs. When I was working with ds I was at about 24 oz.

Are you happy with the results yeah.

I drink lots of water and have nursing tea when I need to stoc up, like f I have a date with DH and I know I'll need to pump and dump.

This time around righty takes to the pump (a pretty crappy ball and horn style to be fair, with ds I had a Chicco hand pump) better than lefty. I try to nurse dd on the left more so I can pump the right.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#17 of 22 Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 PM

i am exclusively pumping for the twins. We had latch issues and thrush recurrences so it was just easier. We also supplement, obviously, from the totals I have below.

Times per day - 4

amount - used to get about 10oz per time but I've had a drastic drop off lately. I am going to pick up some more More Milk Plus tomorrow. When I first started taking it, my milk supply doubled.

total per day - right now about 30oz but was getting 40oz for awhile

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#18 of 22 Old 04-14-2010, 12:36 AM

I suck at pumping...I get about 2 oz per session if that...but I'm able to EBF with no problems! Baby is growing great! But I'm about to have to start to build up a supply to go to work and am worried about how much I get pumping. Where do you get More Milk Plus products?

Mommy to a beautiful DD, my 3yo princess!dust.gif

Excited to meet baby #2, due Nov 2013!!  belly.gifh20homebirth.gif

#19 of 22 Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

I have More Milk Special Blend 8 oz that I ordered from Amazon.

#20 of 22 Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Are most of you using electric pumps? I'm currently using a manual and have found I'm only getting 2-4oz when pumping for 10-20 minutes. I'm really hoping that my production will improve when I get my electric pump next week.

I'm heading back to work next week so I'm pumping a bunch trying to build up a stock, but who knows how often I'll pump when I'm back at work. I'm a waitress, so it's kind of complicated to get time off the floor to pump. Honestly, I'm worried about it.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#21 of 22 Old 04-23-2010, 04:23 PM

I stay home and the newb goes with me to work functions and stuff, but this weekend I have an event that I can't take him so I pumped four times this week to provide four bottles for my husband to give Griffin.

There has been no rhyme or reason as to when I'm pumping, but I *only* do it when he's latched on and make my letdown happen...I'm lazy like that.

Easy session had 4 ounces on the other breast. That took about 6-7 minutes with a PIS. I'm pleased with this since I only am doing this for occassional needs.

FWIW, I'm a milk mama. With my daughter I pumped and donated my extra for a year. This kid I posted on milkshare to donate, but nobody wants it...I'm on a thyroid med and that is probably why.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#22 of 22 Old 04-23-2010, 04:26 PM

I have one of those bicycle horn style pumps, 5 bucks at the pahrmacy type ones.

I would a proper electric one, but I don't really have the $$ that they tend to cost here (electronics of all kinds are extortionate here!). I am hoping I can get my SIL to bring me a good one when she comes to visit from the UK.

I always used hand pumps with ds...Chicco made one that I loved.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page