Springing into April! (chat thread) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas --

Can you believe our LOs are already/nearly 3 months old?? 1/4 of the first year has gone by. Seems like just yesterday we were all obsessively checking for birth announcements.

What's new with you?

My midwife dx'ed me with low progesterone, so I'm taking placenta pill leftovers (from my first birth!) and using prog cream 2x/day. WOW do I feel better, and finally the bleeding is stopping!!

Holly is big and healthy, into her 3-6 months clothes already. She's working hard to hold her head up and figure out how to laugh. She is a dream baby!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#2 of 49 Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 AM

It really is amazing how much our little ones have grown already!! I have an older son who is 2 1/2...I just dont remember him growing up and now he is my big boy!! How did that happen?? Rowan is a big, strong, healthy baby. he is now just a little over 2 months old and already weighs 13lbs!! I'm wondering if he is going to be as big as his older brother Everything is going beautifully with us and I'm so excited that the weather where I am is warming up so I can take the kids outside more and just be in nature as much as possible!! Hope everyone is doing great as well

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#3 of 49 Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Griffin is just shy of 10 weeks and such a little love...our favorite thing to do is just sit and sing to each other. He's so proud of his bubbles!

On the flip side, he no longer whines before a cry...just goes from smiles to full on wail. God, it's enough to send me over the edge! He also will only sleep *at night* in his co-sleeper or my bed. Period. Naps are fair game anywhere (and my arms is always a good place), but bedtime is sacred. The issue is that he is ready for bed anytime between 7-8 so it's hard to go and do stuff after my husband gets home from work because G will literally SCREAM the whole time.

My chunk is starting his 6-9 month clothes. Ohmygod! He's like super sized!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 49 Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM

Sasha is going to be 3 months on sunday - yikes!!!! Where did the time go! He is a tiny little one still fitting nicely in 0-3 clothes, but he is probably over 12 lbs now and is growing so well. He is deceptively heavy for the way he looks. The biggest development of my life right now - I have a dream job lined up! Now I just have to finish writing everything for my thesis. The best part - Sasha will be able to come with me to the office sometimes if I can wear him and get work done. Yay!

sleepytime.gif
#5 of 49 Old 04-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Time sure is flying by! It's hard to believe that Ethan will be 3 monthes next week.
Everything is going well, other than recurring thrush. Ethan weighs about 16lbs, and is in size 6-9 month clothes. We just got him a bigger car chair yesterday because he hates his bucket seat. Screams bloody murder for a good portion of car rides. Hopefully he will find the bigger one more comfortable! He has great head control and loves standing up (with support, or course!)
It's so great to finally be having warm weather so that we aren't stuck inside anymore. Although, Ethan also dislikes his stroller, so walks aren't always a fun time.
#6 of 49 Old 04-01-2010, 01:56 PM

Wow, you are growing some big babies! Marissa is now 9 weeks, and 2 weeks ago was 9 lb 8 oz (7 lb 4 oz at birth), so maybe is closer to 10 lb now? The 0-3 months clothes are fitting well now instead of being huge and 3-6 months are still big on her. And what's funny is that she is still bigger than my other DD was at this point (Michelle was not quite 9 lb at 2 months, and wore 0-3 months clothes till like 4 or 5 months...now she is in 3T/4T at 4.5 years old). I am LOVING all the sweet baby smiles I get with the little tongue sticking out. She is a pretty happy baby for the most part, but if mom can't get to her right away (2 other kids!) and she is hungry, she can really let me know too! She is an AWESOME sleeper. She cluster feeds from about 6ish to 10:30-11:00, then will sleep wherever I put her (my bed or pack n play next to my bed) till between 2:30 and 4:00, eats and goes right back to sleep till 6ish! My other two were still up at least twice a night at this age, so this is nice.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#7 of 49 Old 04-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Another big baby here! He's between 13.5 and 14 pounds and completely filling out 3-6 month clothes with a disposable diaper (and we cloth diaper when we can keep up with the laundry). We pulled out a 6-9 month sleeper today and it's not all that big. Oh, and he turns 2 months in one week!

Still nowhere close to sleeping through the night and he prefers being on one of us as much as possible. But the big toothless grins make it worthwhile!
#8 of 49 Old 04-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Emma will be 9 weeks old tomorrow! I can't hardly believe it. She was 10lbs 6oz a couple weeks ago (8.2 at birth) She fits in her 0-3 month clothes, but they won't fit for long. She can wear some of her 3-6 months. She goes to sleep around 9, in the pack and play next to my bed, wakes up to eat around 12:30, 1, goes back to sleep until 4:30, 5, eats, and goes back to sleep until 7, 8. So, not too bad. DS was waking up only once a night at this age, but I think she's doing well, they can't all be dream sleepers!
She is a very sweet baby, and loves to be outdoors. I was worried for awhile, she cried a lot in her first few weeks but now she is doing great.
#9 of 49 Old 04-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Olivia will be 9 weeks this weekend and she feels out her 0-3 months clothes nicely but I already sorted some stuff out that she outgrew. She sleeps really well at night and I finally learned how to nap with her and feel sooo much better rested. Olivia is very communicative and loves to play with her tongue or imitates us doing it. I love her cooing and "brabbling". She has such a sweet little voice (can get loud sometimes, don't get me wrong). She still doesn't like stroller walks as much as I do and looks slightly uncomfortable in the Moby Wrap which I take instead of the stroller.

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#10 of 49 Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Emily will be three months on the tenth of April...I can't believe how fast it is going by this time!

She is an angel.

Awesome sleeper (on average 6pm-10pm 10:30 to 6am swaddled with white noise, and 6:20-9am with a nap at midday), hardly ever fusses, and a super chunk. I'm not really sure which size she wears because she wears not much more than a cloth diaper most days, but she is definitely out of the 0-3 and the 3-6 Gerber onesies my mom bought. On the rare occassions I dress her, she wears these 6-12 month dresses which are probably meant to be shorter, but they work.

She is very verbal and expressive, and I love talking with her. I never really got the hang of it with ds, but it's really fun with DD, she's much more responsive.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#11 of 49 Old 04-02-2010, 01:15 AM

Things have been so crazy around here. The WO is now three months old, and growing like all my boys do. The other day he soiled his outfit while we were out. And the only thing I had to put on him was a spare onsie I keep in my purse, a 6-9 month size. And it fit him perfectly!

He loves smiling and talking to me, and is learning to control his hands; so, he is "slapping" at things to make them move. And when my LO (who is now 20 months) gets in his face, the WO will use both hands to grab a hand full of hair! It is so cute.

And watching them both as they nurse together, it is a sight. The LO will stroke the WO's hair and hold his hand. It is so cute! Though, I do admit that at times he will poke him in the eye or try and push him away. But, what do you expect of brothers?

Everything is just going by so fast!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#12 of 49 Old 04-02-2010, 01:28 AM

Skylar is just over 13 weeks and has changed SO much in the past month. She is holding her head up lots more and loves looking around at things - she's definitely going to be an observer we think. She was out of the 0-3 months clothes quite awhile ago and is now fitting into some 6-9 months old clothes mostly because she is so tall that everything seems too short on her! She's laughing lots now, talking up a storm, loves looking at picture books and sleeps really well at night (in our bed) - 4 or 5 hour stretches (which is great!). She's a bit of a cat napper during the day though and often gets over tired and cranky if she doesn't get enough sleep. Overall, things are going really well and time is slipping by so quickly!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#13 of 49 Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Only a few days old:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...7&id=584559551

And just yesterday:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=584559551

(Can you tell he likes to sleep??) lol

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#14 of 49 Old 04-02-2010, 04:43 PM

So cute!

#15 of 49 Old 04-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Liam just turned 7 weeks & is a happy baby! Love this We are at 11 pounds and he is all about the baby acne right now I hope it clears up eough for bluebonnet pics in a few weeks.

I am doing great physically...my incision is healed, but still lots of numbness all around it. I am healing emotionally too. While his birth really didn't go as I thought, i am trying so hard to honor the way he was birthed and remember the special moments we had together.

DH & I are finding our new normal and I am freaking amazed at how much housework constantly needs to be done...especially the

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#16 of 49 Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 PM

I can't believe you all have babies in 6-9 month clothes already! Woah!!!

My LO (well, all of us, really) had a pretty unsettled few weeks as we moved from the UK to CA. We've been in our new place now for two weeks and there's less crying by the day (from all of us!). It makes it so much easier to spend time with and appreciate your baby when she's not wailing at you most of her waking hours! I think she was pretty upset by the move and/or had some leftover pressure from the flight that took a while to dissipate.

So Ella is doing this totally bizarre thing where she sleeps for six-ish hours in a row at night (10ish-4ish). Not every night, but maybe 2/3rds of the time. Which is great for me, but does make me just a teensy bit worried about getting pg again - not in our plans! My 3.5 year old didn't sleep six hours in a row until he was a year old, so this has caught me by surprise.

So according to the rules of avoiding pregnancy by breastfeeding, the baby has to not go more than six hours at night without nursing... Does anyone know if that means every night? Most nights? Only once and you're caught out?!

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#17 of 49 Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 PM

See, that is precisely why I would not rely on any method of birth control that may or may not depend on the appetite of a baby. Too difficult to regulate and who wants to route for their baby sleeping LESS?

Currently I'm using the Donna Martin method of safe sex, AKA the "everything but" method.

So we had an interesting episode today...DH and I went out to the movies for a date and Emily quite unexpectedly started crying and was inconsolable. Our nanny called to let us know she really had tried everything, and was worried and needed us to come home...poor baby! So we rushed home and Emily was sleepily taking a bottle of EBM from our nanny who had a look on her face, like "I'm so sorry!" and then I looked and saw one of my nursing tanks from the dirty laundry basket over her shoulder and under Emily's chin...apparently the SECOND she smelled my "smell" she calmed right down and was her usual smilely self.

weird right? Apparently I can be replaced with a basket of dirty laundry.

So here's a little tip that I had never thought of before. If you have to go out leave the clothes you wore all day on the bed for the babysitter/husband/MIL/Grandma or whoever to help soothe baby when it's time to sleep. Maybe?

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#18 of 49 Old 04-03-2010, 01:27 AM

Nice to know dirty laundry is good for something!

I have had a specific "throw" on my bed for forever (years). It is my blanket. Well, I got tired of it being so worn and small (just does not fit when I am covering me and a half dozen children). So, I bought me a new one. Then I took my old one and it has become the WO's blanket in his cradle. Works wonders for his sleeping.

#19 of 49 Old 04-03-2010, 01:37 AM

She is still sleeping in her pram since I got home from the movies. I am thinking I might lay my stinky tank top in her basinette. I'm loving the effect!

#20 of 49 Old 04-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Great idea - i'm going to try leaving my sweaty t-shirt with my DH when they sleep. Although my bed is pretty much permeated with my scent so DS should be able to feel safer. He always sleeps best when he can bury his face in my boob alas - so while he's a great napper I don't get that much done.
We had a great development happen in the last couple of days - the blocked tearduct we've been struggling with (constanly cleaning the goop, worrying about it impairing DS's developing vision) is finally cleared up on it's own. Just out of the blue. Yaaay!!!! Now DS looks so bright eyed all the time.
3 months tomorrow and he is soaking things like a sponge. He loves seeing everything I do. The only time we have trouble is when he is fighting sleep (which he does a lot as he doesn't like to miss things)
Tomorrow I have to leave him with DH for most of the day, sigh...

sleepytime.gif
#21 of 49 Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#22 of 49 Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 PM

I need some encouragement...

Griffin isn't happy in anybody else's arms. Seriously. You look at him and he looks around to find me. You try to hold him and he cries...until he's back in my arms. Needless to say, the kid has "attachment" down to a science. This crying/upset bit happens when my husband holds him too. He's a mama's boy. 100%. And he's with me all.the.time. when I'm working/with friends/etc.

Ok, at the end of the month I have to work *without him* for around 6 hours. My husband will be with him and he will cry. More than likely the entire time. He won't take a bottle yet (I pumped this past weekend and only tried once, but will keep trying until the day I leave him here).

I'm totally sad about the thought of him crying so long. And being hungry. And my husband gets overwhelmed with the crying. UGH!

I have two weeks to make this work. Help!

Angela
#23 of 49 Old 04-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Has your dh tried draping a dirty T-shirt of YOURS over his shoulder for your boy?

#24 of 49 Old 04-07-2010, 06:53 PM

AfricanQueen - sometimes I find that the children are more attached when dad is supposed to be taking care of them, but I'm still around...

...is the separation as bad if you are out of the house?

No helpful advice here...sorry.
#25 of 49 Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 PM

I haven't been out of his reach since birth. *hides* Of course I didn't have this issue with my daughter since I was preparing her for my return to work - which ended up not really happening.

Angela
#26 of 49 Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 PM

Rory is 2 months old now, 10 lbs and 12 oz. Despite the fact that weight and length wise she is a peanut, she is SOLIDLY in 3-6 months and probably will be in 6-9 months very soon. I am also considering a move to size 3 diapers (yes, we are using sposies this time ) because the 2s are getting really short on her.

We just had pictures taken:

http://bit.ly/aRXKD7

I haven't really talked about this to anyone yet but she has an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist in May. We aren't exactly sure what the problem is, but she has some sort of fleshy growth in the corner of her left eye that has been there since birth. It is inside of her eyelid and covers the white of her eye. I am optimistic that it is not a serious problem and hopeful that it does not require any type of surgery at this early age. While dh is hoping it is something that CAN be removed, I am hoping that it is something that can be left alone!!

AfricanQueen--are YOU the one trying to give him the bottle? I don't have a lot of advice since I have never really been able to leave my babies, and not being able to express much milk is a huge part of that. But I know that none of my kids have ever taken a bottle from me, or while I was visible in the home. Dh used to try in another part of the house while I was taking a shower, and that was the most successful. And the few times it came down to it and he was with a sitter and hungry, he would take it.

I am not even going to try pumping this time. It is so stressful and depressing to me when I pump and pump and get not even a half oz. I guess dd and I will be a package deal for quite some time...

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#27 of 49 Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 AM

So cute!

#28 of 49 Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 AM

She is a stunning baby. I've heard her laugh twice. She is a dream baby like her brother too, but still different personality. At her 2 month appt, we forwent vaccines and she is 10.13oz. Such a big girl to me.

Thankfully, bottles went soooo much easier than her big brother. Turned out big brother didn't want breastmilk in a bottle--it had nothing to do with nipple confusion--thankfully we weaned him onto breastmilk in a bottle from formula (no flaming).

Life is good; Dad is adjusting to her nicely, but I don't think I spend enough time with the kids.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#29 of 49 Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Angela, my oldest daughter was like that. It was agonizing to leave her knowing that both she AND DH would be unhappy, likely for hours. It wasn't awful every day, but it was pretty tough. It improved verrrry slowly and she did fine with someone else around 8 months.

#30 of 49 Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM

StrawberryFields - yes, *I* am trying with the bottles as my husband travels for work a lot. I know it isn't ideal, but it's all I got right now. He'll be home this weekend so I'll have him give it a shot while I run to the store or something with our oldest.

Lauren - I think I'm most concerned about my husband's mental state with the crying for hours. He doesn't handle that aspect very well.

I pumped 8 ounces out of one breast (freaking dairy cow - it took 7 minutes) on Sunday to try with Griffin. Since he isn't taking any of it I have to dump it. God, pouring out BM is like a mind kill, isn't it?!

Hey, maybe it will go better than I think. Hopefully.

Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page