Fat Baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we had our 2 month checkup today (Ela is actually 9 weeks, though) and she weighed in at 13 lbs 3 oz. The pediatrician pulled out her growth chart and said that Ela is nearing the 95th percentile and warned us that babies who reach the 95th percentile have a greater risk of obesity as adults. She then kind of quizzed me a bit on hunger cues and reiterated the 5 S's of baby soothing, as if I'm assuming that every cry means she's hungry and shoving a breast in the baby's mouth every time she makes a peep (which, for the record, I'm not.)

I mentioned that I'd heard that breastfed babies tend to gain more during the first few months than their formula-fed counterparts, but then level off and gain less from around 4 months to a year. When I said that she kind of backed off a bit, but still urged me to try other methods of soothing before offering the breast. Ela was born at 7 lbs 12 oz, so that has her at about a 9oz gain per week, which is a bit higher than what I've seen recommended for weekly weight gain, but not terribly so.

Anyhow, I know that I'm doing the right thing by feeding Ela on cue and listening to my instincts, but still as a first-time mom I kind of felt a bit terrible after the appointment. I hate to admit it, but I've even felt a bit guilty every time I fed her tonight, which I know is nuts but I can't help it. And as if to spite the pediatrician, Ela has been eating every 90 minutes or so all night. She'd WAIL when we tried to distract her with the pacifier and then latch on like a starving baby as soon as I offered the breast.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#2 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 05:04 AM

Urgh. These peds and their charts. I would gently point out to your ped that, by the nature of statistics, some babies *are* going to be above 95%. And ask her if she's suggesting you put your breastfed baby on a diet? How silly. My little one, who is also 9 weeks old, weighs a whopping 16.2 lbs (7.350 kilos). He was 10 lbs at birth. He isn't even ON the chart for weight, and is at the very, very top for length.

Your baby also has her own individual growth curve, so please don't stress. She needs to eat to grow, you are doing a great job, and your ped should save her lectures for babies and toddlers who are eating junk food, not breastmilk!
#3 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Banned

That is ridiculous.

Baby E is also almost 13 pounds (5.8 kg) and my pedi mentioned that he lost weight percentage wise. (He was above the growth chart at birth and 1 month) He was sick though so the Dr. thought that might be it.

Don't feel guilty for bf'ing your baby. Just let her fall on to her own growth pattern.
#4 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 AM

here is a reassureing Kellymom page-
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...t-toomuch.html

It touches on the study the ped likely is thinking of....ugg!
"However, the study data included practically no information on how the infants were fed (including the length/exclusivity of breastfeeding and when solids were introduced). The study looked at data for over 19,000 children who were born between 1959 and 1965 in 12 U.S. cities. These children were born at around the height of formula feeding in the US, and also at a time when very early introduction of solids was recommended. Both formula feeding and early intro of solids have been shown to increase the chance of childhood obesity"
#5 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 AM

What BS!

My daughters both are/were around 95% at 8 weeks. Beautiful and healthy! Now, my oldest daughter is around 75% at 2 years old -- her growth tapered off dramatically at about 18 months and now she's more in the average zone. Some kids pack it on really early -- that's not a bad thing, esp. if breastfed. What a dopey doc, to not distinguish the difference. Breastfeeding HELPS PREVENT obesity!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#6 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 10:12 AM

ITA with the previous posters. Have you read anything by Ellyn Satter? She writes about children and healthy eating. I don't agree with all of her theories but one thing she says makes a lot of sense: Parents cannot control the size of their children AND SHOULD NOT TRY. If you try to restrict a baby's/child's food, they will eat frantically when they get the chance and that will lead to overeating where there wasn't a problem before. (And if you try to push food on a skinny child, they will become repulsed by food and undereat every chance they get.) You're doing exactly the right thing by feeding your daughter when she's hungry and following her cues and your instincts for what she needs.

Also, from what I've heard from LLL, breastfed babies don't overeat. Even if you are "shoving a breast in the baby's mouth every time she makes a peep" (anyone read the Mothering article on breastfeeding in Mongolia? That's exactly what they do!) she can control the milk flow if she's comfort nursing.

Enjoy your beautiful daughter. Enjoy it that you can nurse her whenever she wants. Love how she's growing. Babies and mamas know what they need. You're doing exactly what she needs.
#7 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 AM

Well, Emma is a chunk! She is also 9 weeks, we have our 2 month check tomorrow, and I'm sure she weighs around 13 lbs. Even her elbows are fat! I think it's cute, though. I do not overfeed her, also my son was a fat baby and he is now 7 and average/a little underweight. All children grow at their own rate.
#8 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 11:15 AM

First of all, breastmilk is *nothing* like formula. Babies will get fat off of either, but breastmilk fat is designed for them. It's healthy fat.

You know what causes obesity in this country? Too much processed food. Too much trans fat. Too many refined carbs. Too much soda. Not enough physical activity. NOT too much breastmilk.

They keep saying breastfeeding *lowers* their chance of being obese...."but don't feed them too much!" It makes no sense. Babies aren't inclined to take in more than they want or need. A baby suckling for comfort doesn't generally take in much milk because they aren't working for it like they do during a meal.

I've seen many, many fat, breastfed babies turn into slim kids.

I was nursed for 2 1/2 years (thanks mom!), I was a FAT baby, SLIM kid, FAT adult. You know how I got fat as an adult? Fast food, soda, donuts, being lazy. My mom nursed us and fed us well. We were slim kids. I didn't gain weight until I after I moved out. Being a fat baby had nothing to do with it.

Not that it's "evidence" but it might make you feel better:

Me as a fat baby Sis as a fat baby Me and sis as slim kids

DS as a fat baby DS as a slim kid

As long as you feed your kids healthy from breast to table, they will likely slim down and stay thin. Our fast food culture might get them later, but it won't be because you nursed them on demand.
#9 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. Intellectually I knew I wasn't doing the wrong thing by listening and responding to her hunger cues, but emotionally it felt a bit like I was being lectured by the ped for being a bad mom. Thanks for the reassurance. I checked those kellymom breastfed baby growth charts and she's just under the 90th percentile there. Still a "chubby" baby, but nowhere near the 95th percentile.

She's happy and thriving and meeting all of her developmental milestones on time or early, so I'll try to focus on that and forget about the charts.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

#10 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post
You know what causes obesity in this country? Too much processed food. Too much trans fat. Too many refined carbs. Too much soda. Not enough physical activity. NOT too much breastmilk.
You know, I'm kind of surprised that the pediatrician didn't consider my husband and my weight when warning us against obesity. We're both lean and fit, and we avoid processed foods and cook at home. Ela will be eating the way that we eat, I don't intend to start making trips to McDonalds or buying soda and poptarts when she's a toddler, so I have a feeling her rapid weight gain won't continue into toddlerhood. Thanks for the post!

#11 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 AM

Don't forget that you will likely be "lectured" a LOT if you continue to deviate from the mainstream. Not that that's a bad thing. I'm very far from mainstream. Just keep in mind that a lot of people will tell you that you are wrong. You should be doing it this way or that way. But you will know in your heart what is right. And you can do your own research and form your own opinions and ideals. It can be tough sometimes. I was lectured in the NICU after my daughter suffered a brain injury during our homebirth. You don't feel any lower than that, ever. But you have to plug on, knowing you are doing the best you can for your kids.
#12 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 PM

ita with everyone's comments!! ds1 was off the charts for height and weight as a baby, and SURPRISE! still is as an almost pre-schooler. he is lean and has a skinny butt.

ds2 is more off the charts than ds1 at the same age! at his 2 month checkup he was 15lbs 6oz (ds1 was 12lbs 10oz) and 25" long (ds1 was 24.75").

thankfully our ped is not one to pull out charts and make comments about feeding schedules.

fwiw, our almost 3yo son has never been inside a mcd's or burger king or chuckie cheese or any of those other bad food kid magnets. he doesn't drink juice and has candy on rare occasions. i think that is WAY more important wrt childhood / adult obesity than nursing on demand!!!!!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#13 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Theo had his 10 week appointment last Thursday, and he was 13 lbs 12 ons, and 25 inches. At 97% for weight and height. I like having a chubby baby...he's healthy and happy, plus, he was big when he got here (9.1) and if you look at our family's height, we are definitely around the 90% mark.

All the talk of obesity...my cousin feeds her baby Sunny Delight to drink and she's at risk and needs some help, but a breastfeeding baby? Please...are you sure your doctor wasn't named MeMe Roth?
#14 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 03:04 PM

I have my Ped show me the chart each and every time because I love to see my daughter (has been 100% height and 100% weight since birth) at that exact level! You want to know what a 100%/100% four year old looks like? A slender five year old - not skinny, not fat, but slender...and tall.

Griffin was 95%/95% at birth, four days and one month. Go him! Chunky breastfed thighs are freaking awesome!

Honestly, I'd tell the Ped to bite it and that you're comfortable with your soothing techniques. Period.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#15 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well, based on the breastfed growth chart on KellyMom, Ela is just below 90% for weight, but she's just above the 50th percentile for length.

EDIT: nevermind, I just went and measured Ela because it looked like the tech didn't really straighten out her leg totally when she was measuring length yesterdya, and she's over 24 inches which is 95th percentile too.

#16 of 21 Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My son was born at 9 lb 14.5 oz, 21 1/2 inches. He is now 16.1 lb and 25 1/2 inches at 9 weeks. He, too, is exclusively breastfed and our family doctor thinks his weight is great! She encourages me to feed him when he is hungry and not to worry about weight gain. I don't think you can overfeed an exclusively breastfed baby. For the record, at 6 weeks my little one was in the 99th percentile. I'm not sure what he would be now. Who knows, maybe he would be off the charts.
#17 of 21 Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 PM

So according to your Ped, fat babies means fat grown ups?

DS was always in the 99% for hieght and weight, too and he is a beanpole now.

BFed babies are supposed to be super fat! If it was formula I might worry, but Breast feeding? No. If it's only mama's milk, it's fine. Besides breastfeeding has been shown to be linked with higher metabolisms, and less obesity in adults.

Doctors are crazy!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#18 of 21 Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 PM

DONT EVEN WORRY ABOUT IT!!!

And consider changing pediatricians.

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

#19 of 21 Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteh View Post
The pediatrician pulled out her growth chart and said that Ela is nearing the 95th percentile

Anyhow, I know that I'm doing the right thing by feeding Ela on cue and listening to my instincts, .

1) is she using a current breastfeeding baby chart or a formula chart??? WHO puts out a bf'ing one.

2) even though you are a first time mom, your instincts are going to be the right ones with your baby. don't second guess yourself.

3) educate your pedi on what is right for your family. if her philosphy of child rearing differs from your beliefs--change pedi's.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#20 of 21 Old 04-08-2010, 11:14 PM

This is the same pedi who is going to flip out on your when your child has slow weight gain around the age they become mobile. Be prepared! lol

Caefi
#21 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 01:24 PM

Just wanted to add, it's *SOOOOO* wonderful to have a doctor who you can love and trust - I second the suggestion of possibly looking for a new doctor.

My fat high percentile BF baby is now a skin and bones 5yo, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page