Does anyone wear nursing tanks or shirts ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-10-2010, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you wear tanks, camis, double layer shirts, ect, designed for nursing ? I didn't bother with DD, but with DS I'm out much more and I'm wondering if it is worth investing in a few of the nursing tops, or if they are really just a waste of $$$.
#2 of 23 Old 04-10-2010, 09:42 AM

I like nursing tanks a lot because they're so versatile. Never done a nursing shirt.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#3 of 23 Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 AM

I have both. I am also considering making some. WELL worth the investment for me! And so many cute styles.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#4 of 23 Old 04-10-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

what brands do you like? the gap has some, but a very small selection.
#5 of 23 Old 04-10-2010, 03:55 PM

I like Glamourmom tanks because they don't even expose the top of your breast so really great for cold weather. I also like These Gilligan & Omalley tanks that my mom got me. I love their snaps and the support is good, but when you unsnap them they do expose the whole breast on that side.

I have also gotten tank tops with built in shelf bras, and made nursing tanks following instructions I found online for converting a regular bra into a nursing bra...super easy, and I have gotten creative with buttons and ribbon, to make some really cute ones, though those tops do not offer as much support.

I also love the styles at motherwear, but it is really hard for me to get things I order on line. I usually have my packages held hostage at customs until I can prove it's just for me and not my own illegal store...:irk

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#6 of 23 Old 04-10-2010, 04:00 PM

I love the Bravado tank for its support. The Glamormom was cut a bit low for me- when nursing I am a D cup! I recently got a Undercover Mama that attaches to my preexisting nursing bra and am really loving it because I have the support of the bra but the coverage of the tank and they can be washed seperately, and it is longer than many of the other options. Good luck it is a constant quest for me... that and breast pads that actually work and don't give me thrush but that is for another thread...
#7 of 23 Old 04-10-2010, 04:35 PM

I bought a few nursing tops from OldNavy that work alright when I feel the need to be really discreet, but usually they just get annoying with all of the fabric to push aside and then the bra to unclip and fold over and ugh, I've just decided that for the most part I don't care as much about being discreet.

These days I'm more likely to wear a stretchy V-neck and just pull it down. If Ela's in the sling I kind of hide my boob with her and cover up with the tail of the Maya. But if she's not in the Maya then I try my best to keep my boob covered with my hand while I'm adjusting her to latch on, but I'm not super worried about covering up with a blanket or whatever. Maybe I should be, but meh. I have enough stuff to juggle without worrying about a coverup blanket.

I'm sure there are nicer nursing tops out there and if I weren't on a budget I might look into buying some. Old Navy was cheap, but you get what you pay for and they kind of lose their shape quickly.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#8 of 23 Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 PM

I have never found any nursing tops that I really liked. They all seem to leave a crease or obvious line running right down my breast. Makes me uncomfortable.

I have found this works great. I take find a shirt that is loose enough to lift and nurse, then I wear a matching colored cammy under it that is loose enough to pull down to nurse. So, when I need to nurse I can do so without anything showing and when I am not nursing there are no obvious lines, and it looks good.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#9 of 23 Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 PM

I wear nursing tops - really like the empire style from motherwear, but their all-around nursing ones are too much trouble (pulling up the whole front, the inner layer slides up too, messing with the bra...) I have an awesome shirt from JW but it's pricey. I also wear lots of loose t-shirts and just pull them up discreetly. If I remember sometimes I put a loose tank top underneath and pull it down, so that my belly stays covered.

sleepytime.gif
#10 of 23 Old 04-10-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I have never found any nursing tops that I really liked. They all seem to leave a crease or obvious line running right down my breast. Makes me uncomfortable.

I have found this works great. I take find a shirt that is loose enough to lift and nurse, then I wear a matching colored cammy under it that is loose enough to pull down to nurse. So, when I need to nurse I can do so without anything showing and when I am not nursing there are no obvious lines, and it looks good.
I do the cami thing too. I find it works great, and is cheaper than most nursing specific tops I've seen.
#11 of 23 Old 04-11-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproutsmama View Post
I recently got a Undercover Mama that attaches to my preexisting nursing bra and am really loving it because I have the support of the bra but the coverage of the tank and they can be washed seperately, and it is longer than many of the other options....
I just looked up Undercover Mama and OMG!! This is just the thing i've been looking for!! I really want to get one now Thanks for mentioning it!!

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#12 of 23 Old 04-11-2010, 01:29 AM

I leak A LOT so quite often I wear a bravado nursing bra and a BOOB nursing tank with thick washable breast pads...makes my already newly huge breasts look even bigger lol

I love the bravado bra! I also have a glamour mom nursing tank but I don't like it quite as much mostly because I find the holes a bit small and it also doesn't hold breast pads in place quite as well as a bra does for me. I adore my BOOB tank - simple design, very comfy and I just wear it under everything.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#13 of 23 Old 04-11-2010, 03:10 AM

That Undercover Mama looks really cool! I am going to have to get me one (or two) now that I have seen it.

Thanks for sharing about it!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#14 of 23 Old 04-11-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I love the Bravado tank for its support. The Glamormom was cut a bit low for me- when nursing I am a D cup!
I just ordered another tank. I have 2 Bravado's & 2 Glamourmoms. I prefer the Bravados for better support.

[QUOTE=kitteh;15284195
I'm sure there are nicer nursing tops out there and if I weren't on a budget I might look into buying some. Old Navy was cheap, but you get what you pay for and they kind of lose their shape quickly.[/QUOTE]

I bought 3 or 4 nursing shirts at a resale shop. They are great for locations that aren't as bfd'ing friendly.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#15 of 23 Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Ok, totally OT question:

What do you all wear to avoid showing off the circle of the breast pad under your clothes? I don't remember this issue with my daughter, but this time I have about three shirts in my rotation that hide them. Am I missing something really basic that everybody else does?

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#16 of 23 Old 04-11-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

lilypadz! they are the silicon nursing pads that kinda push your nipple in to help with leaking. they are the only ones i've found that don't show through shirts. otherwise, if i'm wearing cloth or disposable pads, i just try to wear a top that is loose enough not to show the circles.
#17 of 23 Old 04-11-2010, 10:38 PM

I got these nursing tanks at Target this time, and so far I really like them...way more comfy than a bra (shelf support), yet cover up my belly when nursing. Hopefully they won't be too hot in the summer though...I am in muggy Houston, so we'll see!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#18 of 23 Old 04-11-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmama108 View Post
lilypadz! they are the silicon nursing pads that kinda push your nipple in to help with leaking. they are the only ones i've found that don't show through shirts. otherwise, if i'm wearing cloth or disposable pads, i just try to wear a top that is loose enough not to show the circles.
I pretty much leak until weaning...do they work enough to hold it all in? If so I'll totally give them a shot.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#19 of 23 Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I love the Bravado tank for its support. The Glamormom was cut a bit low for me- when nursing I am a D cup! I recently got a Undercover Mama that attaches to my preexisting nursing bra and am really loving it because I have the support of the bra but the coverage of the tank and they can be washed seperately, and it is longer than many of the other options. Good luck it is a constant quest for me... that and breast pads that actually work and don't give me thrush but that is for another thread...
I just looked it up too. I love that! I have a bunch of those hook things in my sewing box...I could make those with my old warn out maternity camis...How cute! and if you paired it with a cropped t-shirt in a matching or complimentary color, you could make a nursing top that doesn't have to have two layers over your tummy. hmmmm...

I'm so excited!

#20 of 23 Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have some belly huggers. I usually wear a tank top with the built in shelf bra under my shirts and just pop my breast out the top.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#21 of 23 Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
I pretty much leak until weaning...do they work enough to hold it all in? If so I'll totally give them a shot.

They work pretty well for me. You need to pull them off and re-stick them a couple times a day, though, because one side tends to come loose from moving around, bending, and picking the kids up. You can get them new on ebay for around $19, and they last for 2-3 months. I'm overall happy with them, but if you've been wearing them for more than a few hours, it's a good idea to have a cloth ready when you take them off!
#22 of 23 Old 04-13-2010, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wiith dd1 i never had any special nursing shirts, only nursing bras.
with this lo i have 2 nursing tanks from target and 1 nursing shirt that i just bought for dinner with dh's boss (had to be sure no boob showed!)

here's my top. i think it is cute enough for after baby, though dd1 nursed for many years, so i should get my money's worth

http://www.anneematthew.net/orientaltop.html

i also just got my first nursing underwire bra, needed it to put my boobs in the correct place for the nursing shirt. it's the only time i have 2 boobs

i also need to look into the undercover thing

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#23 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 PM

I like glamormom tanks for layering and warm weather, but am not a big fan of nursing-specific shirts. I had a couple when DS was little, and I always found it easier to just pull up my shirt than to align my breast with the nursing opening, pull up/aside only one layer of a shirt, and get this all done quickly enough that the baby wasn't screaming... Too much hassle!

That said, I do have a top I made nursing friendly, but I do just pull the whole thing up usually.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page