Tummy Time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Olivia is not liking tummy time. I try to do it once a day but have started it too late. She has a really hard time holding her head up when on her tummy. And boy does she get angry. She is scolding me when I pick her up. I try to do varieties like laying on my back and putting her tummy on my shins so she is an airplane. She can hold her head up nicely then but not on the floor. Aren't they supposed to master it by now?

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 PM

Our DD has always slept on her tummy, but hated awake tummy time for a long time. The only way I could keep her happy on her tummy awake was holding my hands so she could push on them with her feet and scoot around wherever she wanted to...

By the time she enjoyed tummy time awake was when she was about 2 1/2 months and totally scooting around on her belly by herself.

I think (much like everything else) it's just different for every baby.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 PM

I have a tummy sleeper, too, so his neck control is out of this world. That being said he *hates* awake tummy time.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 AM

Emma hates tummy time. I believe it's because she just gets frustrated with it. She wants to move, but can't quite figure it out. She can hold her head up on the floor but not for a long time, just a few seconds. Sometimes she can push her whole head and chest up, but again, only a few seconds. I've heard a lot of babies hate tummy time. I think for her holding her head up, all babies are different.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Dea

wearing your baby counts as tummy time too!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Really? Wearing them tummy to tummy counts like tummy time? I do that at least once a day and she holds her head better in that up right position. On the floor she will get frustrated though and also spits up even if the last feeding has been a while ago.

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
Old 04-23-2010, 04:01 PM

I try to do it every day but she just hates it. If I put a pillow under her chest she will hold her head like a champ but if she's just on her tummy not that much. But I'm not really worried because when we sit her up she holds her head just fine and I always wear her facing forward, that's the only way she likes it, and she's really good...her head almost never wobbles anymore.

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Old 04-23-2010, 04:29 PM

I'm relieved to hear that you guys are having the same experiences. Ela will tolerate tummy time, but only in short bursts and she likes it if she has something solid behind her feet to push off on. She can get her head and chest up off the ground for a short while, but not long.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:33 PM

I'll confess we don't do much tummy time. I didn't do it much with my older daughter, and there were no negative consequences whatsoever. If they don't like it, I don't get what the big deal is, honestly. I know it's supposed to help their head control develop sooner, but are there any other supposed benefits?

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 AM

i didn't do much TT with DD, nor with Holly, and they both hold their heads up fine .

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 PM

my boy hates straight up tummy time, but is great at holding up his head in his moby, the bumbo, or on us.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

User Tag List