Facebook group: Mothering Mamas January 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been logging into our dear DDC lately, dreading the inevitable notice that we are closing (though it means a new batch of January babies on the way!). Some other mamas suggested that we start a facebook group for this DDC, so I did, and it is:

Mothering Mamas January 2010

There is also a Winter Babies facebook group, but that's a little bigger and more picture oriented (though it's sweet to see all of those faces!). This new one is just for all of us on this specific DDC (regardless of when your baby was actually born), and since we all know each other, advice/funny things/venting can still be a part of the dialogue.

When you join the group, post a picture of your babe with his/her name and your DDC name in the description, so we can all know who we are!

See you there.
#2 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 PM

Tried to find the group by this name but couldn't. It said there was no group by the name. Suggestions on how to find you?
#3 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I tried to find it, as well. :-)
#4 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...I'll look and make sure that the settings are correct, but we've had a handful of people join already, so it must be "findable," somehow. I'll investigate--but make sure that you write "mamas" instead of "mommas" in the search box. Let me know if you can get on after all!
#5 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM

I was able to find it. I searched under Groups on my home page. I had been searching under "Find People."
:-)
#6 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 PM

I searched under "pages" before, not "groups". Found it now! Thanks, PoetryLover!
#7 of 13 Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 AM

Ok, so I joined and did and introduction, but then noticed it showed up on the news feed and i didn't want everyone on fb to know my user name here, so I deleted it. Sorry!

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#8 of 13 Old 04-28-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
Ok, so I joined and did and introduction, but then noticed it showed up on the news feed and i didn't want everyone on fb to know my user name here, so I deleted it. Sorry!
Yeah, I'm a little uncomfortable with that myself. I deleted it from my news feed, but I'm still a little afraid my "non-Mothering" friends might find my user name from a future news feed. I can't figure out how to stop the feeds. I used to know, but then they changed the privacy info on FaceBook.

Does anyone else know how to stop FaceBook news feeds?
#9 of 13 Old 04-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsamandaddi View Post
I searched under "pages" before, not "groups". Found it now! Thanks, PoetryLover!
You're welcome. I was hoping it would be helpful to others who had difficulty.
#10 of 13 Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM

How public are the facebook groups? Does it work like the people pages where all yor friends can read your postings?

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#11 of 13 Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawood View Post
How public are the facebook groups? Does it work like the people pages where all yor friends can read your postings?
Well, I think there are a couple of options--right now, the group is completely open. However, we have two other choices--we can make it closed, which means that the administrator (me but I'd be willing to give up the job!) has to approve of new members, kind of like on personal accounts. Or, we can make it secret, which means that it doesn't show up on any feeds, and is only joinable by invitation.

I think it makes sense to keep this open for the moment, until the DDC closes, since many people might want to join it now and it would be good to make that as easy as possible. Next week, if everyone agrees, I'll switch the settings to "closed" or even "secret" if that's what we need to do to keep it private. And I'll make a note on the "facebook" thread so that everyone knows how to get onto the group. Does that sound okay?
#12 of 13 Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM

I would prefer if it doesn't show up on the daily feed for everyone who is friends with one of the members. What do others think?

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#13 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone who sees this, especially after this thread closes!

As of May, the facebook group will be either closed or private--if you'd like to join: first, look for it under "mothering mamas," and if you can find it, request to join. If you *can't* find it, we may have moved it to private/invitation only. If that is the case, send me a personal message with your info here in MDC, and I'll add you as soon as I read it!

In addition, there is a Life with a Babe group which a lot of us are joining, as well as a Winter Babies facebook group. Hopefully, one way or another, we all can stay connected with each other and with our precious little ones. It's been so nice connecting with you all on January 2010 DDC. See you soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page