Supplements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-06-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what everyone is taking as far as supplements and prenatals....I've been taking a Super B Complex and an extra 800mg of folic acid. I was taking a baby asprin per day but stopped that last week. I haven't started prenatals yet, mostly because I can't even stomach the thought of it, but also because I need to compare the doses with the things I'm already taking. I eat very healthy (althought lately it's been hard) so I feel like I should be getting most of the good stuff from whole foods. I'm a vegetarian and was low on iron with my last 2 babies, so am trying to watch that too! Sooo.....what are you taking?!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#2 of 21 Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 PM

I'm taking Rainbow Light's (food-based) Complete Prenatal System. I'll start taking Floradix Iron with Herbs a little bit later on, as I've become significantly anemic with both of my prior pregnancies. I'm also drinking a cup a day of Pregnancy Tea by Traditional Medicinals. I'll go up to 2 cups per day in the second trimester, 3 cups per day in the third trimester, and after 36 weeks I'll steep a bag each of Pregnancy Tea and Red Raspberry Leaf Tea together in each of my three daily cups. Flora makes a yeast-gluten-honey-free version called Floravital Iron and Herbs.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#3 of 21 Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 PM

I'm taking Rainbow Light Prenatal One (Vegan), 6000 IU of Vitamin D (drops), Rainbow Light Complete Iron System (2x day), and vegan DHA.

My doctor ran my iron store levels and vitamin D when she did my blood draw preg test, and found that they were both a little lower than she'd like.

Tell me about the Floradix, ladies, because even though the iron is supposed to be non-binding, it, um, is. I really hate the idea of a liquid though. I'm a big fan of pills that have NO flavor.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#4 of 21 Old 06-06-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine1001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine1001 View Post
I'm also drinking a cup a day of Pregnancy Tea by Traditional Medicinals. I'll go up to 2 cups per day in the second trimester, 3 cups per day in the third trimester, and after 36 weeks I'll steep a bag each of Pregnancy Tea and Red Raspberry Leaf Tea together in each of my three daily cups.
Same here!

I had to take the Floradix Iron with Herbs for awhile during my last pregnancy so we will just wait and see.
#5 of 21 Old 06-06-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Tell me about the Floradix, ladies, because even though the iron is supposed to be non-binding, it, um, is. I really hate the idea of a liquid though. I'm a big fan of pills that have NO flavor.
I think it tastes awful but it gets the job done and I didn't have any problems with constipation. I think I mixed mine with something and then took it like shot. LOL!
#6 of 21 Old 06-06-2009, 11:59 PM

Rainbow one a day prenatals and a progesterone supplement 3x per day.
#7 of 21 Old 06-07-2009, 12:02 AM

I'm taking New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal. I actually like the way they taste before I swallow them, which is really unusual!

I'm also taking extra cal/mag (Kirkland) because I get twitchy without it, and fish oil (Kirkland) because it improves my autonomic nervous system function when I'm not pregnant. I'm tapering off Vitex, which I was taking before TTC to regulate my cycles.

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#8 of 21 Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
It's not as bad as one might think. I put a serving in a shot glass, top it off with O.J., then bottoms up!! I never had a problem with constipation, and it worked really well for me.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#9 of 21 Old 06-07-2009, 02:04 AM

I'm trying to only drink one cup of a rrl/nettle infusion a day...though sometimes my body is begging for more...toying with the idea of taking an anti miscarriage herb...thinking about it...researching...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#10 of 21 Old 06-07-2009, 02:55 AM

I'm taking a Rainbow Light prenatal multivitamin, Iron (the kind that's bound to the amino acid, which makes it non-binding and absorbed the best), 2/3 of a dose of Calcium/Magnesium, and Vitamin D. Oh, and Flax Seed Oil.

I took floradix my last pregnancy. Compared to all of the other icky things my midwife made me take, it was actually okay. I noticed that the longer the bottle has been opened (or maybe it's just closer to the bottom of the bottle you get, although I shook it well) the nastier it tastes.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#11 of 21 Old 06-07-2009, 06:11 AM

yeah, I'll start taking floradix again, too. And I take a folic acid (only really important in the first 3 months...and well before!) here and there when I feel I need it.

I'll take alfalfa, but probably later, I'm nervous about taking too much of anything new. But alfalfa is supposed to build a super strong bag of waters. I'm still waiting for my baby born safely and gently in the caul!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#12 of 21 Old 06-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
I'm still waiting for my baby born safely and gently in the caul!
I had twin great grandmothers that were both born in the caul. They were very interesting women, I wish I had known them.
#13 of 21 Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 PM

I'm taking spirulina right now & will make up a pregnancy tea next time I head to the herb store (alfalfa, nettles, & oatstraw)

Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#14 of 21 Old 06-07-2009, 02:35 PM

So far, I've been taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatal, Promise Stages DHA (left over from when I was taking Promise Stages prenatals--will probably switch to something else when I run out), and a calcium + magnesium supplement designed for pregnancy. I also put some flax seed oil in my smoothies every day or two.

Was thinking of adding Floradix and New Chapter Berry Green in the near future. I know Floradix is very popular around here, but has anyone tried Berry Green?

Enjoying every minute with our new son, Henry, born 2/9/2010 :
#15 of 21 Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM

I just ran out and got the Enzymatic Therapies Prenatal. I took it with my last two pregnancies and it seems to work well for me. I've used chlorella before too and I might start taking that in a while. It seemed to help keep my iron levels up.
#16 of 21 Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 AM

I am also taking these! Last time I took Rainbow and Kirkland Prenatal, I went for the 'best' this time around. I think I may also take Coromega for DHA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chai View Post
I'm taking New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal. I actually like the way they taste before I swallow them, which is really unusual!

I'm also taking extra cal/mag (Kirkland) because I get twitchy without it, and fish oil (Kirkland) because it improves my autonomic nervous system function when I'm not pregnant. I'm tapering off Vitex, which I was taking before TTC to regulate my cycles.
#17 of 21 Old 07-10-2009, 12:49 PM

Also taking Rainbow vitamins here, though I'm doing the Prenatal One. The fewer pills I have to take, the more likely they are going to stay in my system and not get puked back out. I always have high iron (we're carnivores over here, LOL so no need to worry about an extra iron supplement here. Once I'm no longer nauseous I may take a DHA supplement - but the aftertaste really bothers me right now.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#18 of 21 Old 07-10-2009, 02:02 PM

I used Prenatal Forte for pregnancy #2 and #3, and it got the job done, but the tablets were big and smelly and I could barely choke them down! I used New Chapter Perfect Prenatal last time, and had no trouble with them....except remembering to take them, LOL!

So far this time, I'm just sticking with my regular vitamin regimen (Standard Process Catalyn, fish oil, ligoplex) and adding extra folic acid. Trying to decide if I want to just stick with that or go back to the New Chapter...at least this time, I can find them locally instead of having to order them!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#19 of 21 Old 07-10-2009, 04:03 PM

I'm taking Buried Treasure Prenatal Plus DHA and I think it's amazing. I really do like that it's a liquid (the first taste isn't bad.. but the aftertaste is horrendous... I just eat a few dried banana chips afterwards and it's fine!). I've found that it's really eased my nausea and given me a lot of energy

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#20 of 21 Old 07-10-2009, 06:37 PM

Rainbow complete nutritional system, but I am having trouble taking one, let alone 6 a day. Plus Calcium/Mag, cod liver oil, Vit B complex, and Vit C.
#21 of 21 Old 07-10-2009, 07:03 PM

I'm taking zinc, folic acid, enzymes and probiotics in my smoothie. I drink Natural Calm for mag, but I wish I could find the cal/mag formula. I drink a pregnancy tea blend of RRL, nettles, oatstraw and alfalfa leaf. I am also going to start swallowing a few chunks of frozen/raw liver or whatever grassfed organ meats I can get to fight the sleepies. Oh, and 1/2 tsp of fermented CLO. Gotta go take that right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page