Do you eat "forbidden foods" while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you eat "forbidden foods" while pregnant?
Absolutely, applying common sense, of course! 59 67.05%
No, never! 19 21.59%
We're supposed to avoid Brie when we're pregnant?!? 10 11.36%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not talking about beer and sushi, here, but other forbiddens, like runny eggs and soft ripened cheeses. What's your vice?

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#2 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 11:59 AM

Cheese is definitely my vice. I'm vegetarian, so alot of the other avoidance foods don't matter to me. We have 2 chickens, so I trust their eggs to be super fresh, and do like a soft boiled egg every once in awhile.....

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#3 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 12:48 PM

lunch meat : sometimes I just get a craving for a lunch meat sandwich. I buy it from a local meatmarket (turkey and swiss on a crussiant) it it's just soooo yummy. It's not a HUGE staple, I don't eat it every day...more like once or twice a month (mainly because the meatmarket I love is actually in another town about 13 miles away so it requires some planning)

I don't care for fancy cheeses or runny eggs (I do eat over medium) not pregnant and I'm allergic to fish so that nixes sushi anyway

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#4 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 01:22 PM

I eat lunch meat, but I heat it up first. It essentially means that my sandwiches end up grilled, which is yummy anyhow. I avoid sashimi, but will eat rolls with cooked fish.

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#5 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 PM

I voted no because I'm vegan, so I think most of the vices are off my menu anyway.

Does anyone know if the veggie lunch meat is still supposed to be heated up or is it only for the animal kind? I do eat Tofurkey slices occasionally.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#6 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Yes and no I guess, so I picked the "brie" option. I have been pregnant off and on since 1998. It is amazing what foods are on the "forbidden list" at different times.

While I have been pregnant I have eaten soft cheese (that must be a new one on the list- I don't remember that being a no no previously), lunch meat (same deal), alfalfa sprouts (shocked the heck out of me that my doc said no to this last go round), and tuna. I had sushi yesterday but it was cream cheese with cucumbers and carrots- no fish. Sushi actually means food rolled into a ball shape, there is another word for raw fish- sashimi maybe?

I LOVE eggs. Dp makes hot breakfast often. He usually does the whole deal- pancakes, sausage, eggs, toast, etc. I would hate to have to pick and choose when he cooks.
#7 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Yes and no I guess, so I picked the "brie" option. I have been pregnant off and on since 1998. It is amazing what foods are on the "forbidden list" at different times.

While I have been pregnant I have eaten soft cheese (that must be a new one on the list- I don't remember that being a no no previously), lunch meat (same deal), alfalfa sprouts (shocked the heck out of me that my doc said no to this last go round), and tuna. I had sushi yesterday but it was cream cheese with cucumbers and carrots- no fish. Sushi actually means food rolled into a ball shape, there is another word for raw fish- sashimi maybe?
Does anyone have a link to a good, authoritative list of the no-nos? I just sprouted a bunch of lentils for salad, and now I see it's on the list?! Ack!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#8 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Does anyone have a link to a good, authoritative list of the no-nos? I just sprouted a bunch of lentils for salad, and now I see it's on the list?! Ack!
Here's one list, I will look for others

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...dstoavoid.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pre...SECTIONGROUP=2
#9 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM

I still have some caffeine but I've gone from three to four cups of coffee a day to that amount of tea. Hopefully will wean down from there, but at least now I'm under the 200 mg. a day point!

Had some lunch-meat last time but I have returned to being veggie since then. Am hoping it holds out... my last baby wanted nothing but meat, dangit!
#10 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 03:50 PM

I don't like the foods on the list so I do avoid them but I do all the time, pregnant or not. I do take sips of my husbands soda every now and then, especially when I have a headache.
#11 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I ask this because I've actually been approached by someone in a diner (with my last pregnancy) while eating over medium eggs and was told that I shouldn't be eating that. Really people?? During both of my pregnancies, certain foods were found be be tainted and considered unsafe, such as spinach, salsa (jalapenos), chicken pot pies, and peanut butter. Any time you eat out, or eat pre-prepared foods, you run the risk of being exposed to something. So at what point do you just use good sense and stop worrying about everything you put into your mouth?

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#12 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine1001 View Post
Any time you eat out, or eat pre-prepared foods, you run the risk of being exposed to something
You can get sick eating food prepared in your own home as well- it came from somewhere.
#13 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I drink raw milk, eat soft cheeses....I just had goat fresca and fresh strawberries for lunch yesterday. I eat my eggs over easy so I can dip my toast in them.....

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#14 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 06:20 PM

(crashing from November because I've always found this topic fascinating)

With DD, I knew certain things were supposed to be bad, then I got a whole new list in the midst of it all. I was really careful about caffeine (no tea or chocolate--I don't drink coffee), the only alcohol I drank was during communion on Sundays, and I was really careful about my lunchmeat once somebody told me about listeria (the day I had a huge sub from Subway ).

This time, I've not made any effort to limit caffeine, I don't normally drink, so I guess you could say I've been "avoiding" that. I eat lunchmeat and soft cheese, though not exclusively .

Although I spent a lot of my first pregnancy sick, I also had DH home all the time and no other children to care for. This time I have a 4yo at home and DH works 10 hours a day outside the house. At some point, I need to figure that eating food I have the energy to make and can stand the smell of trumps some list of stuff that potentially might be bad. I'm pretty sure fasting would be worse than the occasional deli sandwich.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#15 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 06:56 PM

I forgot add that I still have caffieine. Although, I have cut down from 4+ cups per day to <2 to stay under th 200mg of caffeine/day limit. I doubt that it's completely going anywhere because it's simply IMPOSSIBLE to get a full-nights sleep every night (I'm a physician and take call pretty regularly).

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#16 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustmamie View Post
(crashing from November because I've always found this topic fascinating)

With DD, I knew certain things were supposed to be bad, then I got a whole new list in the midst of it all.
This is exactly what happened to me last time too.
#17 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 PM

I drink green tea super antioxidant most mornings (only 20 mg caffeine) and I eat TONS of dark chocolate, but I doubt that it will equal more then 350 mg of caffeine. I eat soft cheeses bc most American cheese is pasteurized. I hate lunch meat so that is not crossing my lips. I might eat sushi or smoked salmon depending on the restaurant and how I was feeling. . I feel like pregnant women are treated like they have a disease.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#18 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 07:19 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE runny eggs over easy with toast so I will definitely eat that if I really want it. Especially if I am using organic eggs from somewhere I trust.

#19 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM

I love sushi! I don't plan on cutting it out of my diet. We don't eat it too often, so I am sure it won't kill me or hurt my baby. I love coffee, but it has already started tasting like crud, so I will most likely cut it out. I may enjoy an occasional mocha. Is feta a soft cheese? I didn't care for it too much during my last pregnancy, but if I have a stomach for it, I will eat it. Over easy eggs are another fav of mine - although that too depends on whether or not I can tolerate it while preggo. I may have an occasional beer. I've read many sources that say alcohol in moderation is okay. I didn't have it with my other two pregnancies though, so who knows. I refuse to live in fear.
#20 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Feta is one of those cheeses to avoid, or so says the list. I eat it in salads, and one of the things that I CRAVED and ate almost every day for two weeks was a homemade foccacia with fresh tomatoes, onions, kalamata olives, and feta. I also ate fresh goat cheese. I ALMOST got some Brie today at the market, but passed, not because of rules, but because I'm trying to not gain a ton.

#21 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 08:31 PM
ell

Nope. I am not willing to take any risks whatsoever with questionable foods. I know someone who lost a pregnancy at 8 months with listeria poisoning. I have had no trouble avoiding cold cuts and unpasteurized cheeses for 9 months.
#22 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Sushi actually means food rolled into a ball shape, there is another word for raw fish- sashimi maybe?
Thread crashing to say... I think sashimi is the thinly sliced raw fish which is eaten with soy sauce, wasabi and/or pickled ginger. Sushi is the rolled up (or squashed into little rectangles etc) rice, veges, seaweed etc wich often contains raw fish but can also be vegetarian.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#23 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine1001 View Post
Feta is one of those cheeses to avoid, or so says the list. I eat it in salads, and one of the things that I CRAVED and ate almost every day for two weeks was a homemade foccacia with fresh tomatoes, onions, kalamata olives, and feta. I also ate fresh goat cheese. I ALMOST got some Brie today at the market, but passed, not because of rules, but because I'm trying to not gain a ton.
as long as it is pasteurized it is ok to eat Feta or so the doctors say . It's the raw soft cheeses and the unpasteurized ones. Most US states and the FDA don't allow those in conventional grocery stores, so it's easy to avoid.

#24 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 11:11 PM

Like Keeta, I'm vegan which makes it a lot easier to avoid forbidden foods. I have been trying to cut back on dark chocolate, but I still eat it occasionally. My mom said she didn't eat any chocolate at all when she was pregnant with me. I appreciate her effort, but I just don't think I could make it!

Vegan mama looking forward to meeting my baby in July 2010!
#25 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 11:40 PM

Whats with the chocolate? Caffeine? I don't typically like chocolate in early pregnancy but will nibble later on.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#26 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 11:44 PM

I drink coffee and eat feta. I'm a serious caffeine addict, and for some reason I seriously crave feta cheese! I only drink a cup or two a day, and only eat feta every few times a week, but I give myself the benefit of the doubt since I don't really do too much else bad!

Mom to Marc (11/10/01) and Charlotte (9/30/09). Cloth diapering, baby-wearing, tree hugging hippy mama. I had a natural VBAC in 2009! Just wanted to brag...!
#27 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
Whats with the chocolate? Caffeine? I don't typically like chocolate in early pregnancy but will nibble later on.
you'd have to eat a lot of dark chocolate to have it equal more then 300 mg of caffeine. Just saying

#28 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 07:59 AM

I raise a herd of goats, drink the raw milk, and make homemade ricotta, feta, and aged parmesan from it.

I'm more concerned about the unsanitary habits of workers at the meat processing plant. Because a bad day at work where somebody figures nobody can tell if they washed their hands or not can mean a dead baby in my belly.

I don't drink caffeine - barring a few sips of my husband's diet pepsi. I am aware that raw foods can be contaminated quite easily with e. Coli and salmonella, and that it would be fatal to my baby. I use scrupulous cleanliness when sprouting and eating salads.

Kelli, Upstate NY mama, dh FarmBoy, raising 6:, his, mine, and ours.

#29 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 05:06 PM

I drink herbal tea. And I eat chocolate (which has caffeine).
#30 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 10:48 PM

Oh, I eat it all.

I love beer, and dark beer is a great source of b-vitamins, so why give it up? The amount you have to drink to cross into the possibility of FAS is pretty high. I still drink wine, Sushi, raw milk, unpastuerized cheese, etc.

I am trying to cut back on my lattes, or at least switch to decaf, but that's about it.

Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page