Baby names? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumofUF View Post
Boy ....we have no clue...I like Thomas (Tommy) after dh's brother who is deceased....but dh is against it...he told me today that maybe Peter Sextus
what???? I don't know but he has come up with some names in the past that have thankfully never materialized...Tyberius (our dog is named that so hopefully he had his name filled that way lol)....Polycarp.....ugh I don';t know how he thinks those up....I am so thankful for John and Robert after all these lol
Sounds like your DH is a history buff. You can put your foot down and say "no" to the bizarre names. My DH has a freaky name I told him he can bestow it upon our 20th son, seeing as we have 2 daughters, I'm not too worried about it being used.

"Isabella Celeste" or "Celeste Isabella" are wonderful combinations. You could shorten Isabella to Bella, which means beautiful. Can't go wrong there.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#92 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Now.......dh already has picked out the girl's name....Isabella......I don't know what i'd call her....I like the name but I also like Celeste.....
I think Celeste is lovely. I've been really liking it lately, for some reason. Isabella Celeste would be nice, though I think Celeste would go well in the first name spot too.
#93 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaMommy View Post
Sounds like your DH is a history buff. You can put your foot down and say "no" to the bizarre names. My DH has a freaky name I told him he can bestow it upon our 20th son, seeing as we have 2 daughters, I'm not too worried about it being used.

"Isabella Celeste" or "Celeste Isabella" are wonderful combinations. You could shorten Isabella to Bella, which means beautiful. Can't go wrong there.
lol yes he is a history buff , he also majored in theology in college so names like Epiphenus (sp?) and Constantine , Augustus, etc have circulated ....although I do have an uncle named Augusto....but anyway, yes Bella sounds pretty, wasn't sure about Isa.....
thanks!

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#94 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 02:59 PM

We do Biblical first names and family names for middle names, and I have a huge list of possible boy names, but a small pitiful little list of possible girl names. And of course, dh has "vetoed" prolly 3/4 of the names from each list!

Apparently he doesn't like "s" names for boys, because I have had Silas and Seth at the top of the boys list since I was expecting our first (m/c) 9 years ago, but he vehemently vetoed both of them! And he was less than enthusiastic about Samuel or Simeon, although he allowed that he would "consider" them. So I give up, even though I adore the name Silas and am jealous of all you who have reasonable DPs who like it, too!

Right now I've got my heart set on Theophilus for a boy--we'd call him Theo, and I just can't think of anything in the world more adorable than that! Dh finally said the other day that it's "sorta growing on him" so I may have won that battle if the little bean decides to be born with a penis!

For a girl, I'm pretty clueless, although I really like Talitha Lucille. Lucille was my gma's name. Dh isn't super crazy about Talitha yet, and my dearest best friend recently had a miscarriage...her little girl would have been Lucy. So I'm not sure yet if I can go there....kwim? We'll see....

A couple other possibilities on the girl list are Chloe, Berea, Hosanna, and Phoebe. Although my very favorite girl name is......wait for it.....

Dorcas.

Yep, really. I love it. I know what you are most likely thinking....nobody else likes it either, and dh has utterly vetoed it, so I'll just go pout in my little corner... :

Sorry, but Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was my FAVORITE musical when I was little! And please, someone back me up here: if you could get rid of the "dork" association, wouldn't it be the CUTEST name???

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#95 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 04:02 PM

I'm beginning to seriously develop a liking for "Henry". I think the clincher, after already deciding I liked it, was seeing today that Seal and Heidi Klum have a "Henry" (hardly a strong argument LOL).

But if we have a boy, there is a very strong likelihood that he will be on the nerdier side, in body type if not in personality, although if he takes after my side, it'll be personality too. This doesn't worry me (I am a nerd, I come from nerds...) but I don't want to lumber him with a stereotypically "nerdy" name if he does inherit those characteristics.

So... is Henry a nerdy name? I can't decide...

(Similarly, although both DH and I really like the sound of the name Angus, the fact that DH is 5'4, and short and slight boys run on that side of the family... I'm not sure Angus would fit LOL)

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#96 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
We do Biblical first names and family names for middle names, and I have a huge list of possible boy names, but a small pitiful little list of possible girl names. And of course, dh has "vetoed" prolly 3/4 of the names from each list!

Apparently he doesn't like "s" names for boys, because I have had Silas and Seth at the top of the boys list since I was expecting our first (m/c) 9 years ago, but he vehemently vetoed both of them! And he was less than enthusiastic about Samuel or Simeon, although he allowed that he would "consider" them. So I give up, even though I adore the name Silas and am jealous of all you who have reasonable DPs who like it, too!

Right now I've got my heart set on Theophilus for a boy--we'd call him Theo, and I just can't think of anything in the world more adorable than that! Dh finally said the other day that it's "sorta growing on him" so I may have won that battle if the little bean decides to be born with a penis!

For a girl, I'm pretty clueless, although I really like Talitha Lucille. Lucille was my gma's name. Dh isn't super crazy about Talitha yet, and my dearest best friend recently had a miscarriage...her little girl would have been Lucy. So I'm not sure yet if I can go there....kwim? We'll see....

A couple other possibilities on the girl list are Chloe, Berea, Hosanna, and Phoebe. Although my very favorite girl name is......wait for it.....

Dorcas.

Yep, really. I love it. I know what you are most likely thinking....nobody else likes it either, and dh has utterly vetoed it, so I'll just go pout in my little corner... :

Sorry, but Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was my FAVORITE musical when I was little! And please, someone back me up here: if you could get rid of the "dork" association, wouldn't it be the CUTEST name???

Is there a nickname for Dorcas?....how do you pronounce it?
I don;t think I've heard it before, it sounds interesteing though....

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#97 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post
I'm beginning to seriously develop a liking for "Henry". I think the clincher, after already deciding I liked it, was seeing today that Seal and Heidi Klum have a "Henry" (hardly a strong argument LOL).

But if we have a boy, there is a very strong likelihood that he will be on the nerdier side, in body type if not in personality, although if he takes after my side, it'll be personality too. This doesn't worry me (I am a nerd, I come from nerds...) but I don't want to lumber him with a stereotypically "nerdy" name if he does inherit those characteristics.

So... is Henry a nerdy name? I can't decide...

(Similarly, although both DH and I really like the sound of the name Angus, the fact that DH is 5'4, and short and slight boys run on that side of the family... I'm not sure Angus would fit LOL)

I dont think Henry is nerdy at all!!!

#98 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Is there a nickname for Dorcas?....how do you pronounce it?
I don;t think I've heard it before, it sounds interesteing though....
It's pretty much just prounounced "dork-us". Which is the problem.

I prefer to pronounce it more "door-cass", which is only a very subtle difference (emphasis still on the first syllable).

In the New Testament (Acts 9:36-41) Dorcas was miraculously raised from the dead by the Apostle Peter. Her name was Greek...in Hebrew, I believe she was called Tabitha.

So, yeah....I really do love the name, but I realize it ain't gonna happen! I guess I could console myself with a pet cat....or goldfish... :P

Perdita, I LOVE Henry! So cute! I have a friend whose little boy is named Henry, and they call him Hank!

#99 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 04:58 PM

I know a lady named Dorcas She's a beautiful, very classy lady. I just talked with her yesterday (btw, it's pronounced "DORE-kuss" .. at least with her!)

And.. Henry is my most favorite boy's name! Not sure if dh is quite as in love with it as I am... Elias is my next favorite.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#100 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 04:58 PM

I wouldn't call him Hank (not a great family history with that name) but "Harry" is also a diminutive of Henry - and I LOVE Harry. In fact, we could just GO with Harry LOL.

#101 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 05:00 PM

I think Dorcas would be one of those names that grows on you, kwim? Like Martha, and some others that escape me just now. Names that were out of style, but are now being seen as having staying power, kwim?

I like Dorcas too... but I can understand the hesitation...

#102 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 05:01 PM

hehe.. Martha is one of my favorites too... but I don't think it would go with our last name... it would be like naming a kid William Williamson almost

My secret love is Agnes. But I get a lot of wrinkled-up noses when I mention that name.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#103 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Agnes conjures up a very graceful and gentle picture for me. Someone introspective and wise. I love it.

#104 of 119 Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Love Agnes, and I can't tell you how nice it is to find someone--a couple someones, no less--who "gets" why I like Dorcas! LOL! (and Judybean, your phonetic spelling is MUCH better than my attempt--that's exactly how I pronounce it, too!)

And Harry is cute, too....there were two Harry's in the toddler set in my old LLL group. At least one was a Harrison, not sure if the other was Henry, or just Harry. But either way, I think it's too cute! I'm really loving Jack, too....

#105 of 119 Old 07-11-2009, 12:01 AM

Henry is the proper name of the younger of Charles and Diana's sons and also Indiana Jones' name. I don't consider them nerds. Well, maybe Indy just a teeny bit, but he's so cool in other ways that it evens out.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#106 of 119 Old 07-11-2009, 03:31 AM

See, normally we name our kids after a significant someone in our lives...but right now I can't find a good name of someone that we want to use as a name. So we're just picking names we like. I think we decided (of course, for now ) tonight on:

Harrison Cole
~or~
Grace Emily...

...though I highly doubt this baby will ever be a girl. I've decided my body does not know how to make girls, only boys. Resigned to only having boys.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#107 of 119 Old 07-11-2009, 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=SheBear;14064894]It's pretty much just prounounced "dork-us". Which is the problem.

I prefer to pronounce it more "door-cass", which is only a very subtle difference (emphasis still on the first syllable).

In the New Testament (Acts 9:36-41) Dorcas was miraculously raised from the dead by the Apostle Peter. Her name was Greek...in Hebrew, I believe she was called Tabitha.

So, yeah....I really do love the name, but I realize it ain't gonna happen! I guess I could console myself with a pet cat....or goldfish... :P

It sure shows how much I know about the Bible, how terrible......and my hubby is a Religion Major...wow....(making note to myself...need to go back to reading the Bible)

I like the way you pronounce it....Door cass

#108 of 119 Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
Henry is the proper name of the younger of Charles and Diana's sons and also Indiana Jones' name. I don't consider them nerds. Well, maybe Indy just a teeny bit, but he's so cool in other ways that it evens out.
That's the kind of nerd I like LOL. I knew that Prince Harry was actually Henry, although Harry suits him MUCH better, I think.

I hope Henry isn't TOO popular - will need to check the "most used lists" closer to the time! Not that I've passed it by DH or anything

#109 of 119 Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 AM

bumping so I can find this tomorrow when I am coherent!

#110 of 119 Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thandiwe View Post
...though I highly doubt this baby will ever be a girl. I've decided my body does not know how to make girls, only boys. Resigned to only having boys.
Lol! I've decided my body only makes boys too. This will be my third - how many do you have? I couldn't tell from your sig.

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#111 of 119 Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmoonmama View Post
Lol! I've decided my body only makes boys too. This will be my third - how many do you have? I couldn't tell from your sig.
I have two. One baby is a foster baby, a girl. She will be returning home about the time this baby is born. I find out tomorrow what I'm having, though I'm expecting it to be a boy.

Lately I'm thinking I really, really like Harrison Everrett for a boy. I think we've zero'd in on that one. As for girls, I'll think about it when they tell me it's a girl. Till then...

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#112 of 119 Old 09-16-2009, 12:42 PM
zak

I love Harrison! :heart It follows along with *our* naming boys after American Presidents rule!

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

#113 of 119 Old 09-18-2009, 11:33 AM

So....yesterday was my one and only u/s and....it's a BOY!! As I expected. My husband actually made the tech repeat it yesterday because he didn't believe it. He won't admit it, but I think he really wanted a little girl. As it stands, it's a best guesstimate because my little stinker had his legs clamped tight and refused to open them for 40 min. He was so squirmy that we couldn't even get head measurements; kept sucking his thumb and turning his head side to side. But twice we saw a structure that definitely appears (though not a close-up) to be a penis. My heart tells me it's a boy anyways.

So we've decided on a name and the spelling, and announced to friends and family...this little guy is Harrison Everett.

#114 of 119 Old 09-18-2009, 12:28 PM

I am living in Germany for the next three years and my husband and I wanted a German-ish name. Problem is that we don't really love a lot of the more traditional german names. They sound bad with our last name. What are your thoughts on the name Morgen for a girl? It is gaining in popularity here in Germany and means morning. Most Americans spell it Morgan though. If we named her Morgen I would spell it the German way. Thoughts?

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#115 of 119 Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM

At this point we like ...

Girl - Calista
Boy - Cameron

Middle names are more up for grabs at this point!

Mama to my delicious daughter born January 2006
Planning a homebirth for our new addition in February 2010
#116 of 119 Old 09-21-2009, 06:08 PM

DS suggested Otis today for our babe, and DH and I are seriously considering it....not sure about a middle name yet. But I'm glad to have even ONE name under consideration at this point!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#117 of 119 Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
DS suggested Otis today for our babe, and DH and I are seriously considering it....not sure about a middle name yet. But I'm glad to have even ONE name under consideration at this point!
Otis Redding! LOVE it!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#118 of 119 Old 09-21-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
Otis Redding! LOVE it!
Totally! Although I think DS was thinking more "Milo & Otis" when he suggested it.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#119 of 119 Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM

Lauren, Morgen ist sehr schoen. I love the subtle difference. I always think of the fact that Florence Nightengale was named so because her parents were in Florence at the time. I'd love to be so clever, but unless I name the kid Billy Elliot (haha) I can't think of anything else geographically appropriate... William the Conqueror I can't really do because my nephew is already a William. I still have to wait 2 weeks for my scan. I'm dying over here. I hope this kid shows itself!

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page