Baby names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 119 Old 06-07-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have them picked out yet, or do you wait and name the baby after it's born? We're pretty set on a boy and girl name:

Caelyn Harmony

Cameron Scott

We try to pick middle names to honor someone, and Harmony was my midwife with my last baby who really changed my life. Scott is my husband's brother's name, and they are closer than any other family on his side. Our two son's names are Deklan Ryan and Gavin Newton Robertson.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#2 of 119 Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 AM

All our sons' names start with a vowel. Also either the first or second name is easily accepted in the Filipino community (ie Spanish or Italian origin makes it easy to pronounce or spell in Tagalog). The girls on my side of the family, however, have a middle name that is from a maternal family member. My sister's middle name is after my mother's mother, my middle name is after my father's mother, my one niece's first name is after a family ancestor, you get the picture.

So anyway, we have an A, an E, an I, and an O. So that leaves U or perhaps Y.

there aren't that many.

Ursula
Yasmine
Utah (but we have never lived there nor plan to, so it seems silly, although one could certainly say the same for Uganda, Uruguay or Yugoslavia).
Uganda
Uruguay
Yugoslavia
Ulysses
Dp really likes Yoda, but I *think* he is kidding.
Upton
Urban
Unity

Also Yvonne (but I hate it) and Yves (but I am not sure how to pronounce it).

For a girl I was thinking Ursula Marisol or Yasmine Isabella. I like Ulysses for a boy, but not sure of a middle name. At one point DP liked Ulyssio, but has since decided he doesn't like it. I think there are probably some really cute, short names of Asian origin that would fit our criteria, like Yim or something- but I haven't read that many books in Asian languages, and they don't pop up on baby name lists.

I guess I have a while to figure it out. Our last baby (O) was nameless for a day.

There is a part of me that would REALLY be tempted to name our baby Yoda if it comes out with huge ears.

Ooh! I just looked up some geography on the Philippines, and I found,
Ubay
Yeto
Unib
Usada
#3 of 119 Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 AM

We are going to have a tough time on a name. We would like the name to have a y in it since DS, DD and the baby we m/c all have y's in their name. The middle name will be a family name.
#4 of 119 Old 06-08-2009, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a girl name left over from last time-- Mary Beatrice, and we would call her Molly. If we have another boy I'm just naming him Four. Seriously, I'm out of boy names. No idea.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 119 Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
We have a girl name left over from last time-- Mary Beatrice, and we would call her Molly. If we have another boy I'm just naming him Four. Seriously, I'm out of boy names. No idea.
HA! I totally know what you mean! I only have the one DS, but we had SUCH a hard time coming up with a name for him. If we get another boy, I don't what we'll call him. Maybe Jr. for a while.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#6 of 119 Old 06-08-2009, 12:24 PM

We have a TON of girl names and very few boys names. All the boys names I LOVE DH's family will shorten and I HATE the shortened version (I love Matthew but I'm not fond of Matt, I LOVE Samuel but I'm not fond of Sam, I LOVE Andrew but don't like Drew or Andy) I don't want to deal with the "Hi!! MATTY/SAMMY!!" bs

So...

Boys names are:

Aaron Shane (Shane is after my cousin)
Jonah Shane
Ethan Shane

Girls names:

Cora Paige (after my great grandmother)
Kieria Page (actual spelling of family surname)
Nadia Renae

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#7 of 119 Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 PM

Our girl name that we didn't get to use last time is Ruby so we will use that for a girl.
If the baby is a boy we will name him Judah and call him Jude.
#8 of 119 Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 PM

I have 2 sons already, Elijah Blue and Kenji Wild. Right now for another boy, I am loving Django...Also River as a possiblity. For a girl, I love Althea ...of course this will probably all change a million times by the end of the 9 mos!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#9 of 119 Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmoonmama View Post
I have 2 sons already, Elijah Blue and Kenji Wild. Right now for another boy, I am loving Django...Also River as a possiblity. For a girl, I love Althea ...of course this will probably all change a million times by the end of the 9 mos!
I LOVE Elijah Blue and River. How do you pronounce Django?
#10 of 119 Old 06-08-2009, 11:47 PM

I have wanted to name a daughter Ruby Anne after my grandma and DH's grandma He think it sounds old fashioned. I also love the name Joshua but my last name sounds like Jeffrey so it might be too much JJ sounds, you know?

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#11 of 119 Old 06-08-2009, 11:56 PM

I have known a few moms who love a "y" in the girls names-

Austyn
Jordyn
Fallyn
Hollyn
Aidyn
Camryn

others:
Maisy
Fey
Lyla

My girls are Savannah Fey & Gabriella Rose

I am liking the name Lucinda Claire if we have another girl

I think boy names are harder...a friend of mine has 4 boys:
Cotton, Chalmers, Cannon & Clement - they are such great children!

For a boy I am liking the name Daulton or maybe Martin
#12 of 119 Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 AM

We're pretty committed to Rowan for a first name. My DP is wedded to "Sage" for a middle name. I worry that "Rowan Sage" would be too botanical, but I can't find a name I love or even prefer that he also likes.
#13 of 119 Old 06-09-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
We're pretty committed to Rowan for a first name. My DP is wedded to "Sage" for a middle name. I worry that "Rowan Sage" would be too botanical, but I can't find a name I love or even prefer that he also likes.
Rowan Sage is a lovely name. We named DS2 Rowan.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#14 of 119 Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I LOVE Elijah Blue and River. How do you pronounce Django?
Thanks!
Django is pronounced Jango with a hard a...it means "I awake"

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#15 of 119 Old 06-09-2009, 10:28 AM

We have both of our names picked out. Boy - Silas. Girl - Lainey. But SHH!!!! DH wants to keep them a secret! LOL! My DD's are Jamison & Kierah. We would keep the Irish thing going with Lainey and have J, K, L!
#16 of 119 Old 06-09-2009, 12:31 PM

We have a Gideon Elliott. I ADORE his name. When we found out he was a boy, the name Elliott popped into my head and never left. Garrin wasn't too fond of it at first, but I just knew it was his name. If this little one is a boy, Garrin is pretty set on Jareth Alexander (one of our possibilities for Gideon, but like I said, he needed to be named Elliott so we bargained). For a girl, we have so many ideas and can't agree on a lot of them. Truthfully, I think we'll do as we did with Gideon and not name him/her until they are here. Jareth just so wouldn't have fit Gideon even though it was one of our favorites. We'll see, I guess. I think we have both agreed not to start talking names until we know the sex.

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#17 of 119 Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJ2005 View Post
We have both of our names picked out. Boy - Silas. Girl - Lainey. But SHH!!!! DH wants to keep them a secret! LOL! My DD's are Jamison & Kierah. We would keep the Irish thing going with Lainey and have J, K, L!
Great names! Our DS is Silas Tabor. We didn't know ANY Silas's when we named him, but it is steadily gaining in popularity (not crazy popular, but we've met/heard of several his age). But it's such an awesome, old-fashioned name! I really like Lainey, too!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#18 of 119 Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 AM

We haven't discussed it yet this time. But this is the list from last time.

Hazel
Ivy Beth
Augusta

Cedric
Cyrus
Julian
Augustus

Julian and Augustus aren't doing it for me right now, so I'm inclined to take them off the list. Also dh's dad passed away earlier this year and we talked about using both his dad's name and my dad's as first and middle names. That would be Edward Leo. I wasn't sure about that until I read about someone using Ward as a nickname for Edward. Now that I'm pregnant, I'm really starting to like that idea of having a little Ward running around.
#19 of 119 Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 PM

Ooooh! This is fun! I love this part of pregnancy, lol!

I don't have girl of my own birth (but I do have a "daughter" I nursed for 6 months but she's my friend's, lol). So I seem to keep looking at girl names.

Dh likes Asiyah. I have a whole undecided list. But kind of like Aida because its dh's grandmother's name and she's a neat lady. I think it'd mean a lot to her, too. I also like Asli, it means "flower" in Somali. I like Rosidora for a middle name. My mother's name is Rosita (roh-see-tah) and my grandmother is Dora, so it's like a combo of them both. It sounds sort of old-fashioned, too, and I think those sound sweet, lol/

Boys, hmmm. I like Zaid or Sayf. Dh likes Zakkariya, but I'm not jiving with that for some reason.

Salihah סליחה صالحه Mama to four boys, another due Dec 4th.
#20 of 119 Old 06-10-2009, 06:30 PM

What do you all think of naming a baby after a family member or friend? Has anyone done it? Did/do you think other family members would feel a bit like "why not me?" sort of thing?

#21 of 119 Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 PM

You know, it just occurred to me that we should maybe name this baby Bacardi or possibly Mojito.

Salihah, my oldest is named after my dad and my FIL (Michael Clinton). Nicholas, my third, is named after my husband's grandma, and if this baby is a girl and we use Beatrice as a middle name, she'll be named after my husband's grandmother. I guess I just figure people can deal. I may have a lot of kids, but there's no way in hell I'm ever going to have enough to name one after everyone.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#22 of 119 Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
You know, it just occurred to me that we should maybe name this baby Bacardi or possibly Mojito. .
I went to school with Sherri, met several Brandi and even yes, a Tequilah once.
#23 of 119 Old 06-11-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmoonmama View Post
Thanks!
Django is pronounced Jango with a hard a...it means "I awake"
Yay I got it right

My oldest had my maternal grandfathers name (James) for a middle name. My youngest is named for my FIL (Steven) and my paternal grandfather's middle name (Coan.) My grandfather refused to let me use his first name for a boy (not that I would LOL) because he hates it (Leslie.) He did say if wished to name our girl that we could

I'm really stuck on the name Grayson for a boy. However I don't like that spelling.

Maybe more like: Gracian

What do you think?

As for a girl I really like Gracelyn

So here's my list.

Gracelyn Noelle
Gracelyn Abigail
Gracelyn Chloe

Gracian Daniel
Gracian Miles
Gracian Michael

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#24 of 119 Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 AM

We have had ours picked out for months, lol!

Girl - Malalai

Boy - Alexander

Now we just need middle names. DS has 2 middle names, both his grandpas, so it would be nice to find two family names for this one as well.

Amanda + Steven SAHM to James (Feb 19, 2008) and Alexander (Jan 7, 2011). Lost little ones always in my heart (07/11/2009) (04/2010)

#25 of 119 Old 06-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I guess I just figure people can deal. I may have a lot of kids, but there's no way in hell I'm ever going to have enough to name one after everyone.
I like your attitude! I'm adopting it.

#26 of 119 Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
My grandfather refused to let me use his first name for a boy (not that I would LOL) because he hates it (Leslie.)
There was a boy in my high school named Leslie that had a crush on me. He is now a mayor of his hometown and has been on state and national news recently because of flooding and energy costs issues.

It is a little surreal.
#27 of 119 Old 06-21-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahlalLotus View Post
What do you all think of naming a baby after a family member or friend? Has anyone done it? Did/do you think other family members would feel a bit like "why not me?" sort of thing?
Of the two babies in our families (one's on my side, one's on DH's) that are named after relatives, BOTH of them were born into circumstances that the "honoree" would not have approved. It's one thing to try and honor your dad by naming a child, but it's much better to honor him by not dragging the family name through the mud, KWIM? That's my experience with the names, anyway.
Personally, I want my child to have his own name. I don't want to think of someone else when I say my child's name, I want to think of him.

If it's a boy, Hollis Mason, if it's a girl, Tabitha Jo. We're not telling the family because it's not up for debate! (And our families... they're debaters.)
#28 of 119 Old 06-21-2009, 08:52 AM
zak

Fun thread!

We have two "Presidents" right now so if our next is a boy, we are heavily thinking Cleveland or Clinton. I also like Grant, Franklin and Henry. All presidental names. Both boys middle names mean "son of the redheaded man", so we want to stick to a "red" theme there, if we can. Ross is my top fave middle name, tho Hubby has a hard time getting over the David Schwimmer reference.

If we get a girl... we like Mary or Rose. Mary Kate has been our top fave since pre-children, but Hubby is thinking he wants a little Rosie!

edit to add: we don't tell anyone our names until they are born... except maybe online here

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

#29 of 119 Old 06-21-2009, 10:35 AM

My first kid's middle name is Clinton! But it's a family name, not after the president,

#30 of 119 Old 06-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Our DD is Siobhan Elizabeth. We still have our boy name from last time - Cayden Alexander.

I'm trying to get ideas for a girl name. So far I like:

Alyssa
Anya

and maybe Mei as a middle name...

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page