What pregnancy, childbirth, or parenting books are you reading? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-20-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love me some books! Share with us what you're reading now, what you hope to find time to read, and what you've already read and love!

Typical of me, I've got too many to books choose from, so end up picking up a different one every night to read!
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth, by Sheila Kitzinger
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, by Henci Goer
  • The Birth Partner (this is part of my doula training but still applies, I think!), by Penny Simkin
  • The Labor Progress Handbook, by Penny Simkin & Ruth Ancheta
  • Spiritual Midwifery, by Ina May Gaskin
  • Gentle Birth Choices, by Barbara Harper, RN

And have already read cover-to-cover but still like to read/refer to:
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
  • The Baby Book, by Dr Sears
  • The Complete Book of Breastfeeding, by Marvin Eiger & Sally Wendkos Olds (I've heard there are better breastfeeding books than this one [Bestfeeding], but I read it before my first daughter was born and found it had prepared me nicely!)

And lent to a friend but loved:
The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition and Other Holistic Choices, by Aviva Jill Romm

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#2 of 15 Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Some that I like -

-the continuum concept
-magical child
-how to enjoy year one- forget the author right now but she is a British nanny
#3 of 15 Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Found a new book!
  • Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives, by Deepak Chopra

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#4 of 15 Old 08-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Right now I'm reading Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane During Pregnancy and Your Child's First Year by Cassandra Vieten, Ph D. It's really, really excellent! It has several different mindfulness techniques plus some yoga sequences. It's well-written and extremely understandable. It's appropriate for all religious traditions, so don't be scared off by that. I can see this being really helpful for labor, but also to learning to parent two children (even though it is more geared to first-time moms, sort of implicitly).

I'll also re-read Birthing From Within and Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth - I found the birth stories to be really inspiring in that one.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#5 of 15 Old 08-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Well, I haven't gotten around to it but I want to read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and The Thinking Woman's Guide by Goer. Last time I read the Dr. Sears Birth Book (as well as a bunch of more mainstream books) and I will probably flip through that. I'm not worried about breastfeeding books this time as I am working on my LLL leadership so I'm pretty immersed in BFing info as it is.

Blair, mom to the amazing Nora (8/06) ribboncesarean.gif, sweet Anneliese (2/10) vbac.gif, and super Henry (8/12) vbac.gif

#6 of 15 Old 08-11-2009, 06:41 PM

Prior to getting pregnant I had read
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
Ina May Gaskin - Guide to Childbirth (will be re-reading)

My go to pregnancy book is Simkin's Pregnancy, Birth, and the Newborn (or something like that) but I also enjoy the mainstream weekly emails that discuss the baby's size since that specific information isn't included.

I recently borrowed Birthing from Within from my midwife. I LOVE that book. I don't think the "birth art" is really my thing but the dialog on confronting fears, examining what you really want from birth really made me examine what I expect and things I need to work on. And I think my husband should read the labor partner sections. I think I'll wait a couple months so it's fresh in his mind as we get closer to the birth so I may have to buy my own copy too.
#7 of 15 Old 08-11-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
And lent to a friend but loved:
The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition and Other Holistic Choices, by Aviva Jill Romm
I love this book! It's the only one that I have read so far. I feel like that is all I need. haha

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#8 of 15 Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'd really like to read Birthing from Within, Pushed, and anything by Ina May. Like folkgirl, I'm working on becoming a LLL leader, so I'm going to be doing plenty of breastfeeding reading. If only there was a book called Adventures in Triandem Nursing, because that's what I need to know about!

In the past, I've read Adventures in Tandem Nursing, The Baby Book, and Aviva Jill Romm's vaccine book...I can't remember the name right now.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#9 of 15 Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
I love this book! It's the only one that I have read so far. I feel like that is all I need. haha
Fantastic book!

This one, and Kitzinger's Complete Guide are the two that I always recommend first.

And an oldie but goodie is Special Delivery by Rahima Baldwin Dancy. I recommend this one and Heart & Hands by Elizabeth Davis for those planning UC.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#10 of 15 Old 08-13-2009, 04:36 PM

Is it bad that I'm not reading anything?

I've read the Ina May Guide to Childbirth one and the LLL Tandem nursing one in the past. I also own the "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" and the "What to Expect" books. I'm not really referring to any of them this time around - I'm sorta in a "been there, done that" kind of funk.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#11 of 15 Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Is it bad that I'm not reading anything?

I've read the Ina May Guide to Childbirth one and the LLL Tandem nursing one in the past. I also own the "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" and the "What to Expect" books. I'm not really referring to any of them this time around - I'm sorta in a "been there, done that" kind of funk.
I am kind of like this. I truly want to be reading something because I love to read and learn new things, but I can't seem to find the book I am looking for. I don't just want to keep reading the same thing over and over in different ways. Does that make sense? I guess I don't know what I am looking for...

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#12 of 15 Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ordered a whole bunch of the typical natural pregnancy books (many have already been mentioned), but after I got them, the ones I find myself enjoying the most are the Mayo Clinic guide to a healthy pregnancy and the What to Expect book that I got from my CNM. I was surprised because most people on this forum say to stay away from the What to Expect book, but I found it very informative. Same with the Mayo Clinic book. They're just organized well and give lots of specific info. I don't think they're very biased at all. The What to Expect book even promotes choosing local organic foods as much as possible, in the nutrition section.
#13 of 15 Old 08-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Right now I'm reading Heart and Hands but I may want to take a break from the birth prep/complications/interventions stuff while I focus on my Hypnobabies for a while.

I do want to read The Magical Child for sure.

I also want to get around to some nonviolent communication, How to Talk So Your Child Will Listen & Siblings Without Rivalry stuff too.

#14 of 15 Old 08-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
I ordered a whole bunch of the typical natural pregnancy books (many have already been mentioned), but after I got them, the ones I find myself enjoying the most are the Mayo Clinic guide to a healthy pregnancy and the What to Expect book that I got from my CNM. I was surprised because most people on this forum say to stay away from the What to Expect book, but I found it very informative. Same with the Mayo Clinic book. They're just organized well and give lots of specific info. I don't think they're very biased at all. The What to Expect book even promotes choosing local organic foods as much as possible, in the nutrition section.
I never read all of What to Expect, but from what I did read, my biggest issues were with stuff like, "If you eat soft cheese or unpasteurized juice, you will SURELY DIE!!!" Okay, maybe a little exaggeration there, but that's what the tone seemed like to me.

Also, I've read some of her advice to write-in questions in magazines (I think it's Baby Talk that has her as an "expert"...?), and I usually have to turn the page because I start yelling at her.

Glad you like it though. I'm not familiar with the Mayo Clinic book at all.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#15 of 15 Old 08-16-2009, 02:53 PM
zak

It's not really a "pregnancy" book per se, but I'm reading An Ecologist Journey to Motherhood. It's really interesting!

I'm also working my way through my HypnoBabies self-study course book.

I'm half way through Ina May's GTCB again.

I'd like to read a Henci Goer book before Feb too!

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page