Brewer Diet, anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-07-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm a big Brewer fan. I was borderline hypertensive with DS1, and I'm convinced that the Brewer diet save me from Pre-E. My blood pressure still runs higher than it should, so I'm trying to be good and get all of my protein, orange fruits, potatoes, etc.

I really like to track my intake, but the spreadsheet on the Bradley site won't download for me. I'm guessing the fact that I'm on a Mac is the problem, so I'm going to try having my mom download it and convert it to a PDF for me...

So, anyone else doing Brewer?

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#2 of 21 Old 08-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am, actually. Not this week, but when I'm back home I'll get back on it! I have a modified spreadsheet that I can try to email you if you want. Mostly I use it to keep track of my protein intake.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#3 of 21 Old 08-08-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
I am, actually. Not this week, but when I'm back home I'll get back on it! I have a modified spreadsheet that I can try to email you if you want. Mostly I use it to keep track of my protein intake.
That would be awesome. I'll pm you my e-mail address.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#4 of 21 Old 08-08-2009, 12:34 AM

I emailed my wrong documents. Because I'm doing BRADLEY, not BREWERS, oops!
Sorrryyyyyy!

Edit: Oh, wait, you said Bradley site! OH MY GOSH, I'm going to sleep and will sort this out tomorrow, LOL!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#5 of 21 Old 08-08-2009, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I emailed my wrong documents. Because I'm doing BRADLEY, not BREWERS, oops!
Sorrryyyyyy!

Edit: Oh, wait, you said Bradley site! OH MY GOSH, I'm going to sleep and will sort this out tomorrow, LOL!
The Brewer Diet is the one that is taught in Bradley classes, so that's the right one.

I can't open the files though. I don't know why..I can usually open Excel files in Numbers, but apparently my comp has an issue w/high protein diets.

#6 of 21 Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 AM

When I'm able to eat normal things again, I'll be following a modified version of it. A big thing I don't do is whole milk. I just cannot drink it. It makes me vomit.

I did a modified version with my first son about 4 years ago.

The protein thing is driving me nuts right now because I can't stand meat or eggs, and there is only so much cheese, yogurt, nuts and oatmeal I can handle in a day. I'm supplementing with whey protein powder, yuck.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#7 of 21 Old 08-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
The Brewer Diet is the one that is taught in Bradley classes, so that's the right one.

I can't open the files though. I don't know why..I can usually open Excel files in Numbers, but apparently my comp has an issue w/high protein diets.
Sorry, it has been a VERY long week for me! If I ever make it back home, I can convert to another file type for you, but am only on my teeny little travel computer right now.

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#8 of 21 Old 08-08-2009, 09:57 PM

I've not heard of this diet - does someone have a link?

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#9 of 21 Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 PM

www.blueribbonbaby.org but the site won't load for me
http://www.bradleybirth.com/PD.aspx

http://nutrition.birthingnaturally.n...iles/frame.htm

It really does help!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#10 of 21 Old 08-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Interesting - but there's no way my digestive system could handle that much dairy!

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#11 of 21 Old 08-09-2009, 01:06 PM

I've never heard of this diet before, it seems like a very healthy way to eat. My only concern is that the second link you gave says to eat liver once a week and I have read that a pregnant woman should have no more than one serving a month because too much vit A is not good for the baby.

Malinda, partner to Ryan, Mama to Super-Holden (Nov 2006) and my new little bundle, Declan (Feb 2010)
#12 of 21 Old 08-09-2009, 02:05 PM

Oh, right. I am totally NOT doing the liver, and I forgot I had even taken it off of my spreadsheet! Also can't keep up with the dairy, but still working on it!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#13 of 21 Old 08-09-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot all about the liver! I'm not a liver person anyway, so I just don't eat it.

I loooooove dairy though, so that's definitely not an issue for me!

Quote:
Sorry, it has been a VERY long week for me! If I ever make it back home, I can convert to another file type for you, but am only on my teeny little travel computer right now.
No sweat. Thank you so much for trying to help me out!

#14 of 21 Old 08-09-2009, 05:24 PM

I was just thinking today how much I need to get on the ball this time around. I finally feel like I can pretty much eat what I need to again without feeling sick. I've already started feeling guilty that I'm not doing for this baby what I did for my first because I need to order some DHA supplements. Last time I had them as a prescript with my prenatal vitamins.

I've posted the two diets on my kitchen bulletin board and am ready to start tomorrow morning with my 2 eggs!

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
#15 of 21 Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM

I just opened some links and realized I'll need to check this out when I'm feeling a little better, haha.
#16 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 02:52 PM

I'm going to try the Brewers diet for the first time, but I am still vomiting several times a day and no eggs are passing these lips till this m/s goes away!
#17 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 05:53 PM

I have been doing this a week. I am having difficulty getting the eggs down. I don't know if I can keep this up another 6 months! At least I got my fish pills and they don't bother me at all. I haven't had a perfect day yet- I always skip something.

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
#18 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 10:04 PM

I am having major trouble with the eggs, too! All of a sudden, I can't stand anything 'fleshy', which, to my mouth, now includes eggs. I managed some today by making french toast, and I think that is what I'll have to keep doing--using eggs as an ingredient in something else.

The problem with fleshy...I am usually a total meat-eater! How will I get my protein now? I guess beans, milk, cheddar, eggs... Sigh.

In the Deepak Chopra pregnancy book I'm reading, he writes that we should eat half our body weight in grams of protein per day (so, 125 lbs = 63 grams of protein). That's my new daily minimum, although I still strive for 100. In the past several months, it has been SO rare for me to achieve 80 grams or more in one day.

I am getting way better at the water, though--which was the hardest part for me in the previous two pregnancies.

Updating: Oh, wait! I am a total liar. Well, a partial liar. Because I have been eating canned TUNA like it is going out of style. A little concerned about the mercury, but I read that smaller tuna (like that end up minced in cans) have lower mercury levels than big tuna (like that end up as steaks). Hope this is true...at least until this craving subsides...

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#19 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 PM

I read somewhere in my last pregnancy that one can of tuna per week is perfectly fine. I craved tuna melts soooo much last time and they are sounding pretty darn good right now, too.

Malinda, partner to Ryan, Mama to Super-Holden (Nov 2006) and my new little bundle, Declan (Feb 2010)
#20 of 21 Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 PM

Found a very helpful website for following Brewers! http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/index.html

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#21 of 21 Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 AM

I have been following a modified version. I had eclampsia with my first and she was born at 32 weeks and I obviously DO NOT want to repeat this. Since I have virtually none of the risk factors associated with pre-e, the only thing I could think of that may have caused it was my terrible diet during my first trimester (very low protein, mostly processed carbs due to morning sickness).

I normally eat very little meat and virtually no dairy but since reading about this diet I have allowed myself to eat as much of any kind of protein as I can handle in a day. Last time I was too sick to eat fruits or veggies but have been okay with it this time, so that part is easy. As for the eggs, I have eaten some but there is no way I could eat one per day or whatever it is that you're supposed to eat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page