dumb doc appt. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was relatively uneventful as far as things go, my blood pressure was 122/70 (Excellent!) I've gained one pound so far (also good) baby's HB was 148 (good too)! So then the Dr. came in and did his "thing" down there, all the while babbling about me wanting a VBAC, and asking me basically why I would want such a thing....I explained that i simply wasnt satisfied with my experience the first time around and wanted somthing better. Then we had an....interesting? conversation to say the least. One that to me, makes no logic. Went somthing like this...

Him: Well are you going to get your tubes tied after this baby?
Me: um...no? i'm 23 years old!
Him: well how many kids do you want?
Me: I dont know at this point.
Him: well if your going to stop after two or three I recomend you just do c/s and be done with it, theres a risk of uterine rupture.
Me: i'm well aware of the risks.
Him: well if your planning on having 5 or 6 then you could do a VBAC this time....and c/s for the rest.
Me: (dumb look like wtf you talking about?)
Him: I think you should consider it, and come back and talk to us later on.

So what does it matter if i want two kids, or if i want eight....i still want a VBAC. I dont want a c/s in any event! Consider that butthead!

Other than that, the appointment was the usual pap smear etc. He didnt really comment on anything else.

The nurse practitioner did inform me that I wont have another u/s until 26 weeks (?!) why? well because the "insurance gets pissy if she sends people sooner than that" well thats a buncha bull, but I'm pretty sure i can scheme a way up to get one prior to that Whether I just say "I havent felt the baby move and i'm concerned" or if i just call them up in a few weeks claiming I fell and want to see if everything is ok, i'm sure i'll be able to finangle a way in for an ultra sound because theres no way I can wait until 26 weeks, i wasnt sure i could wait until 20!!!

Summer--momma to Cassie (9-27-06) and Dominic 1-28-10
#2 of 20 Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 PM

I'd be looking for another practitioner, because he's going to be pushing for a c-section. That's his angle right now, that's all he's thinking about. That was what the whole tubes discussion was about. He's wanting to schedule you for a c-section and it's only going to get worse as you go on. You need someone who is supportive of VBAC, he's clearly not.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#3 of 20 Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 PM

I agree with koalamommy. Find another practioner soon if you can. That is just unacceptable behavior and you need someone who is going to respect you.

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#4 of 20 Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 PM

Completely agree. He will find a way to scare you into having one...

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#5 of 20 Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaMommy View Post
I'd be looking for another practitioner, because he's going to be pushing for a c-section. That's his angle right now, that's all he's thinking about. That was what the whole tubes discussion was about. He's wanting to schedule you for a c-section and it's only going to get worse as you go on. You need someone who is supportive of VBAC, he's clearly not.
I agree as well. If he's that pushy now, I'm sure that's what he'll insist upon during labor/delivery.

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#6 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

well, thats not really an option. I have state issued insurance which means i'm pretty much destined to go to a clinic, where the four doctors at the hospital rotate. He may or may not be the one who actually delivers. Aside from switching to a different clinic that deals with a different hospital, and risking the same thing over again, i just dont have many options besides assert myself and simply refuse a c/s. I'm disgusted.

#7 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 AM

I agree with finding another practitioner.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#8 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerLynn View Post
well, thats not really an option. I have state issued insurance which means i'm pretty much destined to go to a clinic, where the four doctors at the hospital rotate. He may or may not be the one who actually delivers. Aside from switching to a different clinic that deals with a different hospital, and risking the same thing over again, i just dont have many options besides assert myself and simply refuse a c/s. I'm disgusted.
Oh, that's rough. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Can you get a doula? This may be the best alternative in this situation. She could advocate for you during labor. I'm afraid you won't be in a position to assert yourself during labor...

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#9 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 AM

I wonder if you could research c-section rates at your different options, perhaps another hospital has a lower rate. I remember finding the c-section rates at my birthing hospital before, though I can't remember where. I asked my OB about the c-section rates in her practice and they are relatively low (that is relative to the national average, they are not as low as they could be), but since I've had 2 normal deliveries, I'm not as worried.

If you do have options about where to go, I would see if you could choose the best option. And while a doula might help, she's not going to prevent a c-section with a doctor who is determined to do one.

If you have to continue going to this guy, I would start lying and tell him you want at least 6 children. 4 doctors on rotation isn't a big enough practice to feel comfortable that your chances of having him for delivery are sufficiently small.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#10 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM

He definitely seems a bit odd to me. Only 23 and he's already asking if you want your tubes tied? I'm not that old (28) but I'm definitely not the person I was at 23, so it seems a bit odd to be rushing you to make that decision now.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#11 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm definately not making any decisions concerning how many children i want at this point, as i truly dont know. Things change, people change, life changes. I'm not ruining a chance of having kids, even if i didnt want any more now, i know that in ten years that can completely change.

I dont have the funds for a doula, but i do have a best friend who is going to be with me every step of the way and be my voice when I'm unable to express myself.

#12 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 03:32 PM

I've heard that you might be able to find a doula for less if they are still in training? That might be an option if you really wanted one, though a BFF sounds good too to me. My BFFs are sort of weirded out by the whole birth process.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#13 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Wow! What a jerk. Have you researched the other hospitals that you may be able to switch to (I know that you said you have state insurance)? I would try to go to the most naturally minded place and OB that I could. He is only going to get more pushy as time goes along and I wouldn't be surprised if the other partners in the practice hold similar views.

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#14 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I've heard that you might be able to find a doula for less if they are still in training? That might be an option if you really wanted one, though a BFF sounds good too to me. My BFFs are sort of weirded out by the whole birth process.
I did look this route, there werent any in training doulas around, one i found wasnt certified and still wanted 1200!! I just dont have it. But yes my BFF is the one who crunchified me so to speak. So I trust her to voice my opinons better than I think I would a doula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygrss View Post
Wow! What a jerk. Have you researched the other hospitals that you may be able to switch to (I know that you said you have state insurance)? I would try to go to the most naturally minded place and OB that I could. He is only going to get more pushy as time goes along and I wouldn't be surprised if the other partners in the practice hold similar views.
Honestly, I know it cant hurt to look, but I live in a very small and conservative area. I dont know if there are any natural minded OBs around to be quite honest. I do plan on searching further though.

#15 of 20 Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 PM

I'm sorry you don't have many options for a dr, he sure sounds awful......I'd take it like a grain of salt and hope you don't have to see him too much....glad your bf will be there throughout to help you!!!

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#16 of 20 Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM

It would be worth checking other hospitals, I live in RURAL TN, talk about small town conservative I was shocked to find that at the smaller of the two hospitals near me (one's 25 min, other's 35 min away) there is an OBGYN that also works with a birthing center and midwives!

One son , 3 years old. One husband, nine years of love. Expecting A Girl Feb 25, 2010
#17 of 20 Old 08-21-2009, 12:48 AM

I would definitely go talk with some of your other options. My reason being - last time I was pregnant I had a bad feeling about my provider. The other provider group I was considering was about an hour away from my home/work, I worried it would be a long drive to the hospital in labor, etc. It just seemed like a pain in the butt. But I think if I had gone with the other practice I would have had a better chance of avoiding my section. Of course I will never know for sure. I just hate the "what if" feeling.

Also, if there is an ICAN group in your area, I would definitely be in touch with them! I don't know where I would be without my group. One definite advantage is if the group is active you may be able to talk to people who have birthed with your current hospital/practice, or others you might be considering, etc. That can be really revealing.

Blair, mom to the amazing Nora (8/06) ribboncesarean.gif, sweet Anneliese (2/10) vbac.gif, and super Henry (8/12) vbac.gif

#18 of 20 Old 08-21-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

I have looked for an ICAN group, but none around me sadly. THe closest one is about 4 hours north of me. I joined their message board though and that has been a great help too.

#19 of 20 Old 08-31-2009, 06:15 PM

I see its been a few days since this thread went up but I wanted to mention one other option.

Tell your doctor you think you might want 7 or 8 kids. Tell him you've always wanted a big family. Tell him whatever you think will help, just convince him that you intend to have a lot of kids, whether this is true or not.

The reason he's asking you (in an incredibly bizarre and insensitive way, btw) is that most doctors believe that a uterus can handle only so many c-sections before it becomes dangerously weakened. So it's not uncommon for an OB to try to determine whether a woman plans to have a large family when considering a VBAC. If there are lots more kids on the agenda the Doc might be more supportive of vaginal birth this time. If you can't leave the practice your only option really is to work with what you've got. I say lie like a rug. By the time you decide whether or not you really want more kids this guy will be just a happy memory.

Good luck

Miss Chris

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
#20 of 20 Old 09-03-2009, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Chris View Post
I see its been a few days since this thread went up but I wanted to mention one other option.

Tell your doctor you think you might want 7 or 8 kids. Tell him you've always wanted a big family. Tell him whatever you think will help, just convince him that you intend to have a lot of kids, whether this is true or not.

The reason he's asking you (in an incredibly bizarre and insensitive way, btw) is that most doctors believe that a uterus can handle only so many c-sections before it becomes dangerously weakened. So it's not uncommon for an OB to try to determine whether a woman plans to have a large family when considering a VBAC. If there are lots more kids on the agenda the Doc might be more supportive of vaginal birth this time. If you can't leave the practice your only option really is to work with what you've got. I say lie like a rug. By the time you decide whether or not you really want more kids this guy will be just a happy memory.

Good luck

Miss Chris
Your right...and thanks. I'll tell him I'll have fifty kids if it means that I can have a natural birth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page