I'm a horrible, and very impatient pregnant woman... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2009, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My OB/NP said that they dont typically send patients for u/s for anatomy until 26-28 weeks. I am 18 weeks. I cant wait and i NEED to know what this bean pod is!!! Is it horrible of me to think about going to my appt on the 16th (i'll be exactly 20 weeks) and just casually mention that I had some spotting (I havnt) that was pretty insignificant but i'm concerned because of them telling me I had a low lying placenta at 12 weeks...and want to . . .ahem, check on it? Would that be totally off the handle? ugh i just dont know if i can wait another 6-8 weeks to find out!!!

Summer--momma to Cassie (9-27-06) and Dominic 1-28-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 12:22 PM

I was pretty upset about that too. They didn't have my U/S scheduled till I was 23 weeks. I, too was impatient and decided to book an appt with one of those independent U/S places. Well, I went to my OB for my regular 18 week checkup and I handed him the waiver he needed to sign for me to get an U/S at the other place. He handed it back to me and said "I'm not signing that crap. Save your money. Let's go take a peek right now." I have a ridiculously cool OB. Maybe you can try something like that? Maybe your Dr. would rather have your money than let you take it elsewhere?

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

Old 09-06-2009, 02:13 PM

I just don't understand this at all, I am sorry! Why is it so necessary for you to know the gender so far in advance? The unique surprise at birth of what the baby is going to be is completely taken from you if you do this!

I had amnio but am insistent on not knowing the sex. I am pretty obsessive about it! In fact I am pretty sure someone is going to give it away, and that will really upset me. But then maybe I, too, am a cranky pregnant woman!! ;-)

I wouldn't tell lies to get your u/s...not a good idea.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I understand that there are those of you who would rather not know the sex. I on the other hand would like to know, would like to prepare. I guess I would rather the surprise now than later. I have a lot of people around me waiting to buy things for this little one and I would rather if they are goin to spend money on him/her for them to know if its a him or a her to spend the money.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:49 PM

A surprise is a surprise. Whether you find out at 20 weeks or 40 weeks it can still be just as exciting. I have done it both ways and I don't feel like I was "robbed" of anything by finding out the sex of the baby via U/S. I understand how much you want to know the baby's sex, Summer. I hope you are able to get the U/S when you want it!

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

Old 09-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Wow, that seems late!! I thought the best time is between 18-20 weeks, especially if you're wanting to find out the gender! I guess I wouldn't lie (although the thought has definitely crossed my mind, so don't feel bad) but maybe let them know you're going to get an outside group to do an ultrasound earlier and see what they say. Worse thing that can happen is they say, "okay," and then you still get an earlier ultrasound to find out. I don't blame you for being cranky about that, I would hate waiting that long too!! I have mine in 9 days and I'm cranky about that!!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

Old 09-06-2009, 04:25 PM

that seems very late. most practices around here have you go between 17 & 20 weeks. not just for gender determination, but if they do find something wrong you have time to make decisions about whether to continue or not and/or what treatment plans can be put in place.

and, i feel for you! i had an intravaginal ultrasound 2 days before my level 2 and i was going crazy trying to see if i could tell the sex from the photos they gave me.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
Old 09-06-2009, 04:57 PM

It seems very late for an anatomy scan. Why not ask why? Or ask if you can come in sooner?

I do not think you should lie to get in. As someone who has dealt with severe bleeding in both pregnancies, it really isn't something you want to be lieing about at all. You can't imagine the anxiety someone goes through when that really does happen and to pretend it has happened to you...the thought makes me ill.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMum View Post
A surprise is a surprise. Whether you find out at 20 weeks or 40 weeks it can still be just as exciting.I have done it both ways and I don't feel like I was "robbed" of anything by finding out the sex of the baby via U/S. I understand how much you want to know the baby's sex, Summer. I hope you are able to get the U/S when you want it!
Thank you! I never understood the whole "it won't be a surprise" thing because um, yeah it is still a surprise.

I personally need to know for bonding reasons. Id be upset too OP. That sucks!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:42 PM

I'm surprised they are making you wait so long too - my OB said they like you to have it done between 18-22 weeks. I've always gotten it done on the earlier side - he gives the orders at your 12 week appointment so you have plenty of time to schedule an appointment that works well for you.

I would however be a little hesitant to lie about your health to get an u/s though. 10 weeks from now puts us in the middle of November - could you maybe fib and say you will be out of town for the holidays then and would like to get it done next month so you know everything is ok?

Other than that, do you have one of those places where you can pay for an u/s? Or maybe go to a Planned Parenthood type of place/pregnancy crisis center and see if they offer u/s? I know the one that I volunteered at did do scans there.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 09-06-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, I agree, its a surprise now, same as it is later. In all honesty the only reason they gave me for such a late u/s was because of the "insurance co. getting pissy if they send patients before then" ugh I think its BS. I was at least partially kidding about saying I was spotting, and i would never pretend to have a severe issue just to get the u/s. I cant afford to go to an outside u/s place right now or that woulda been an option. anywho thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerLynn View Post
Thanks ladies, I agree, its a surprise now, same as it is later. In all honesty the only reason they gave me for such a late u/s was because of the "insurance co. getting pissy if they send patients before then" ugh I think its BS. I was at least partially kidding about saying I was spotting, and i would never pretend to have a severe issue just to get the u/s. I cant afford to go to an outside u/s place right now or that woulda been an option. anywho thanks for your responses, much appreciated.
If it is an insurance issue - maybe you could call the insurance co. and verify that is when they want patients to be seen?

I did think, and maybe I'm totally off base here, that part of the reason for doing it around 20 weeks is that it would still be legal to terminate the pregnancy if something showed up. I know the cutoff in Ohio to walk into an abortion clinic is 24 weeks, not sure what happens after that if there was a medical reason to terminate. But that would be another way to try to fib your way to an earlier one - if you tell the doctor that you would terminate if the baby had Downs or another more serious condition so you want to rule that out while there is still time.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

NicoleS you might be right, but I couldnt use that because I have already opted out of the quad screen on the basis that I wouldnt terminate due to any disorders. So that would be completely unbelievable.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Ah ok. Was just trying to brainstorm ways to fib to get in sooner without it being a health reason...

Old 09-07-2009, 12:28 AM

Sorry SummerLynn (and anyone else I may have offended), was being a bit cranky this AM. I understand that there are some people that just have to know...it's just different that's all. I think a lot of my view on this stems from me being a little superstitious, I don't want to buy too much for the baby in advance, won't be painting a nursery in case something goes wrong...that's why I don't do baby showers either.

Let us know when you find out. The very weird part for me is that *someone* knows, and it's on my amnio report so my midwives will all know as well. The hard part is going to be not finding out over the next 22 or so weeks!

Take care!
Old 09-07-2009, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Helsie, I am not offended in the least. I understand that there are those who like to wait and be surprised, and those like me who just wanna know. Take comfort in doing it your way and i'll do the same. Its all good, no worries.

I think I am going to simply tell them that I am concerened about the placenta and stressed because I want to know if it has moved, and also because they told me no sex til it moved and that is becoming more and more difficult as time goes by. Its been almost two months since they told me that...and I'm about at the point to say the heck w/ it and DTD anyways. At least if I have spotting after I know what its from.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:18 AM

Saw this on new posts.

What is the general medicaid status like in your area? I ask because in my area that dictates it. Medicaid here only pays for ONE ultrasound and since there are so many people on it around here all the practices in the area have agreed on the earliest being 22 weeks (buffer zone+20 week mark for medicaid). Due to that, the gender/anatomy scan is done as a seperate appointment and billed as a seperate one (not as a extra during a regular appointment).

If your area is similar I'd call around and see if you can find a FetalFoto's type place and get the permission slip from your dr. and just not schedule the gender scan with your regular practice. It's not hard to do...I did it this time and I wasn't even a true patient for the practice in town who gave me the permission.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

I guess that could be the case, but I have had 3 u/s already....one for dating, one because of a cyst/blood they saw, and another for the cyst/blood. all done 12 weeks and prior.

User Tag List