Enough talk about babies! ;) On to my favorite subject...FOOD! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And/or nutrition... Whatchya eatin'?

I just ate a salad, and I LIKED it. Weird. Very weird. I MUST be pregnant!

Doing okay on the Brewers diet lately. Averaging out to around 70g of protein per day. Finally becoming able to eat eggs again, too. But, I'm avoiding dairy because of my susceptibility to yeast, so I'm thinking I need to look into a calcium supplement; anybody know what to look for in a good one?

I'm still taking kids' vitamins instead of prenatals, so popping one of those about three times a day, whenever I start to need a "sugar fix". I have two different kinds, both with Stevia instead of aspartame. I'd really like a bag of incredible Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies, but...but... Yikes, I have to go get another vitamin now!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#2 of 19 Old 09-06-2009, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This weekend I ate a ton! Last night and tonight I had awesome dinners:

Last night we cooked an organic grass fed steak from a friend's farm, plus baked sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, plus sauteed broccoli and chard. YUM.

Tonight- well, late afternoon we had a big cabbage and carrot salad. Then for dinner: Brown rice, black beans, fried plantains, fresh corn, home made corn tortillas, and cheddar cheese.
I am so full right now! After that big dinner I looked so much bigger- I swear I look different every night than I do in the morning (bigger).
#3 of 19 Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Katie, you know how to make corn tortillas?? Is it hard? Do you have a tortilla press? The only kind of tortillas sold in the grocery stores here are Doritos; I would LOVE to know how to make my own!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#4 of 19 Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
omg it is so easy. You get corn masa- which I think is corn meal processed with lime, so somehow that makes it work better. I thin kif you can only find cornmeal it might work too but not as well, not sure.

I tend to mix in a little white flour- just to make it roll out easier- so 3/4 corn masa and 1/4 white flour, but you can do just the masa. (I think it tastes better without the white flour but it breaks more easily)
Add a little bit of oil- just a little,(you can do it without oil too- the oil makes it more elastic) and maybe a little salt. Then add a little water- little by little until it is a bit sticky. It takes less water than you might suspect. So I add water till it is sticky then add a bit more flour to make it soft.
Then you just roll it out. If it is just the corn masa with no flour, you might want to roll it in wax paper- but with white flour mixed in I just roll it on a lightly floured board- using my fingers to press it and then a jar or anything round.
The trick is to make them small- so it is easier to roll out without breaking.
then just cook up on a medium hot- dry- frying pan- I use a cast iron pan. no grease on the pan. cook on one side, then the other. I make them a lot! Yum!
Let me know how it goes.
They come out a little differently with the white flour added. Plus, if you do just the corn flour it is more like the store bought ones but I never get them as thin as that. Maybe if you roll it in wax paper you can get it thinner. Hope that helps.
#5 of 19 Old 09-06-2009, 09:24 PM

We were mexican themed today too. I made nachos with blue corn chips an black beans and just a little chicken.

I realized with some of the dietary threads that I'm getting nowhere near enough protein, so I'm trying to work on that. I tend to avoid eggs during pregnancy because of an aversion to them, but my chickens have just started laying : so I'm trying to add them in now in the morning. I make an egg wrap with cheese, lettuce and salsa that is delicious! I'm trying to accustom this baby to spicy food so I won't have to cut things out while nursing : we'll see how that works. I want a non-picky eater this time around!

But you know what I could live on? Fresh Fruit! Oh man, someone brought fruit for coffee hour after church and I put a piece of pineapple in my mouth and thought I was in heaven! I buy grapes or cherries and my girls don't get any because I eat them all before I get home. So I hear that means this is another girl, we'll see. I was like this about fruit for my last 2 as well, I would dream of it!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#6 of 19 Old 09-06-2009, 09:27 PM

Did someone say FOOD?

There's a pot of chili almost ready to eat in the crock pot and I just put some cornbread in the oven. I can't wait!

I've been hankering for some muffins lately...I'll probably at least make some banana bread with a couple of over-ripe bananas I have sitting on the counter.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#7 of 19 Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 PM

We had tacos for dinner...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#8 of 19 Old 09-07-2009, 04:53 AM

no time to write now...but I want in.:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#9 of 19 Old 09-07-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I HOPE I can find some corn massa here!! I tried to buy cornmeal recently to make cornbread, but had a lot of trouble figuring out the translations and ended up with cornstarch. Blech. Worst cornbread ever!

Ohhh, I enjoyed reading about everyone's dinners... *dreamy sigh*

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#10 of 19 Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Yummmmm...my favorite thread here! Because of my arthritis and chronic inflammation (which is only exacerbated by pregnancy!), my chiropractor has recommended that I eliminate (or at least seriously limit) grains.

Sadness. abject despair. weeping. misery.

This is esp. hard because I love baking....we grind our own grains and I bake bread quite frequently. But he said that I need to avoid all grains, not just processed junk....something about the omega 6 fatty acids in grains being out of balance with my omega 3 fatty acid intake....anyway, I promised I'd give it a try and see if it makes a difference!

I hope I can survive the next couple weeks!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#11 of 19 Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Tonight we had this beef and peppers dish - basically stir-fried beef, peppers, and onions with a sauce made from Worcestershire, lime juice, hot sauce, and seasoning. Served over mashed potatoes. One of DH's favorites.

Since I have another u/s tomorrow that gets me back home right around dinner I'm planning on doing a crockpot turkey breast rubbed with onion soup mix and butter.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#12 of 19 Old 09-08-2009, 03:04 PM

no masa in Israel. Had a neighbor give me a few cups worth as a gift (she's mexican and brought it back with her from Mexico)

Aramat, you are in Brasil, right honey?! You've gotta get someone to translate for you. I totally understand the getting mixed up. Used to happen to me all the time. Look and see if anything also is listed in english. Ask people. say things like "masa" and "tortillias" and stuff like that. Eventually someone will get it and help you out. It is totally inexcusable that you would live in a Latin American country and NOT be able to obtain masa!!!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#13 of 19 Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM

IME the further south you go in the Americas, the less you find Mexican items. What we call Mexican is really Tex/mex and not readily available south of central America...

I found Masa in my super market today though and am going to try making my own tortillas though now that I know how!!! There are instructions on the back of the package for using a tortilla press, which I of course don't have.

I've been cooking up veggies from our CSA today. We got bunches of greens, which I loathe, but attempt to make palatable for health's sake. DH had the beet greens I made last week and said they were delicious, so maybe I do an okay job of it. I enjoy the beets myself which I bake with apples, they're yummy!!!!

I'm going to attempt New Orleans style red beans and rice tomorrow using brown rice. I need to learn some inexpensive meals for the winter while boosting protein.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#14 of 19 Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Brazilian food is nothing at all like Mexican food. For serious, cuz I'm from west Texas and my mom's family is Mexican. Brazilians love bread, rice, beans, beef, and fruit. And everything has either a ton of salt, or a ton of sugar and food coloring. Now, Brazilians do excellent steaks, but their national dish, feijoada (rice & beans w/chunks of sausage) is, in my opinion, almost flavorless. And no tortillas at all, unless you go to one of the few and expensive Mexican restaurants (where you have to pay for a tiny bowl of tortilla chips and salsa b/c the ingredients are imported)! And cheddar is hard to find--and there is NO sharp cheddar.

OH, how I miss my colorful, flavorful Tex-Mex! When I come back to you, Texas, (in a decade or so?) I will never take you for granted again!

Haven't been to the store to look for massa yet; it rained so much today that my husband didn't even try to go to work, and we kept the toddler home from school. (Brazil rarely has any sort of natural disasters, but there is a lot of flooding in Sao Paulo when it rains.)

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#15 of 19 Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 PM

(Same CSA as KoalaMommy)

I took all our greens from today and cut them up with scissors, then threw them in a pot with some spaghetti and boiled it all up together. I put some of the cilantro in there too. I heated some spaghetti sauce and cut up all the tomatoes into it, plus some basil from last week. Threw it all together with a bunch of the bell peppers, some chicken from the farmer's market, and some cheese, and it was very tasty!

That's what I do with most of my greens - I don't really like them all by themselves, so I mix them with stuff. You can mix them in with almost everything, from soups to fried rice, and they usually aren't very noticeable, except in a good way. I'm going to cook up the beets and squash tomorrow, I usually really like those just cooked in a skillet with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Never thought of cooking them with apples, hmmm...

I'm trying hard to boost protein also. I'm not vegetarian, I just never eat meat... I guess I've got to get in the habit of having it, or at least some beans or something. DS helped me today by requesting chicken out of the blue, luckily BEFORE the shopping.
#16 of 19 Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 AM

Hehe, it's funny having an anonymous twin in my DDC. DH picked through all the CSA boxes to find the ONE with cukes instead of summer squash because I'm summer squashed out, but I could eat cukes for the next year and be happy! I've been known to puree my greens and add them to meatloaf. This time I parboiled them first and then changed the water (the first round gets the bitter out) and the cooked them in water with some cider vinegar and a *leetle* bit of sugar (also to counteract the bitter). So we'll see how that goes. I tasted the non-beet-greens (not sure what they are) and they were good. But I haven't decided how to eat them. Initially I was chopping them up and putting them on homemade pizza along with basil and sausage, but have gotten bored with making pizza

Do you ever go to the farmer's market at the church on Kingston Pike, hapersmion? I get all my meat there, from Laurel Creek Farms. The prices are not that much more than the regular store (a dollar or 2 more per pound per cut), but it's free-range, hormone-free and antibiotic-free meat. I often get whole chicken (the best value) and make 2 or 3 meals out of one, starting with it baked, and then doing soup and possibly a pasta or stirfry if there's enough for that. They also have a store in Maryville that I will be checking out in the winter!

My chickens started laying eggs this week, we're getting about 1 a day right now. Not sure if I have 1 layer or 2 right at the moment, but when I have all 4 going we'll be eating a lot more eggs. I'm so excited!!! :

#17 of 19 Old 09-09-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

The hardest part of my day, right now or any time, is breakfast. I usually don't eat until noon, and then I don't stop eating until around midnight, because I'm watching my diet journal and trying to cram things in at the last minute!

I think I've found something I can handle in the mornings now, though -- sugarless granola (btw, anything here that doesn't have sugar added is labeled "diet"), raisins, & plain ("diet") yogurt, with a little honey. It's good enough, and about 6g of protein. I wish I was back on breads & greasy meats already, though--would love some bacon and toast!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#18 of 19 Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 PM

Heh, too bad we don't have a trading box or something, I'm sooo sick of cucumbers. We grew about a million of them in DS's little garden this summer, then got a million more from the CSA.

Yep, we go to that market, usually right after the CSA pickup! I get most of my eggs there, and I have been trying to buy more meat there too. (I liked the half price sale with the CSA meat too.) I just don't think to eat meat half the time, it doesn't call to me. I don't have practice cooking it either, I'm scared of a whole chicken! But I didn't know how to cook greens this time last year.

You have your own chickens, that's so cool! Is that allowed in Knoxville proper, I wonder? My neighbors would probably not approve, but they already think I'm crazy.
#19 of 19 Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 PM

Chickens are totally against my HOA, however, we pay our dues, and 90% of the rest of them don't, so who's going to complain? Plus, my neighbors on either side are cool, and the ones 2 doors down are so guilt ridden about their dog attacking our lovely girls, they'd never complain. So for now, we're good. And we're in the county anyway, the laws are sketchy but if anyone complains, we have an issue, so let's hope they don't!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page