I don't know how you ladies do it... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that aren't getting ANY u/s this pregnancy! I have an anterior placenta, and it is freaking me out. I'm nearly 19 weeks, and baby is measuring nearly 20, and I'm still barely feeling flutters thanks to the placenta being in the way. I don't even think I'd notice them if it wasn't my fourth child so I know what to look for. I'd be even more freaked if I hadn't had the u/s last week showing me that baby boy was ok. I laid in bed an extra 10 minutes this morning, bladder exploding, because I could actually feel baby bouncing on my bladder and it gave me some form of comfort...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 09-07-2009, 12:28 PM

I'm fairly certain I have an anterior placenta too. I haven't had any u/s, but it has been hard to find the heartbeat and I am also just getting the occasional jabs to the bladder or poke to the side. With my other 2 babes, we heard the heartbeat very early with the doppler and I had been feeling movement for weeks by now. I actually have an ultrasound scheduled for Wed and had been debating canceling but I think we are going to go for it. I didn't have any with my boys, so I feel like this time I want to know the other side! I keep changing my mind! Today, though, I think we will find out on Wed....or maybe I'll still end up canceling, lol!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#3 of 20 Old 09-07-2009, 02:59 PM

I'm with ya Nicole! I can't imagine not having that tangible evidence showing that our baby is doing okay. And if not okay, having that information to be able to make informed decisions on how to best care for our munchkin! Perhaps for me it's because just recently one of my closest friends thought all was fine until her 20 week ultrasound, when they found out the baby was definitely not okay, despite an otherwise healthy, normal seeming pregnancy. She had normal bloodwork/screenings/growth rates and everything! She would have never known without an ultrasound.

I understand and can relate with the argument that "we'd keep the baby no matter what," so an ultrasound wouldn't make any impact...but to me, it's just a source of information. The more information I can gather about the health of my baby, the better! Putting gender reveals aside, it's just a quick anatomy scan to check the health of the heart, brain, internal organs, etc... Again, maybe for me it has a lot to do with a close friend's recent experience...but those experiences are very real and I would want to know.

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#4 of 20 Old 09-07-2009, 03:32 PM

I had an anterior placenta last time and it was a bummer! I am pretty sure I don't have one this time, but I guess I will find out in the next few weeks as I will be getting to the point where I will be supposed to be feeling the baby more. I will say that I had a lot of ultrasounds last time (too many IMO) and while it was reassuring to "see" the baby, nothing can substitute for that day-to-day experience of feeling the baby kick. I did feel her sometimes but not as much as I wanted to.

Blair, mom to the amazing Nora (8/06) ribboncesarean.gif, sweet Anneliese (2/10) vbac.gif, and super Henry (8/12) vbac.gif

#5 of 20 Old 09-07-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we would keep the baby no matter what, but I like the peace of mind knowing everything is ok. And if something wasn't ok, I'd want to know.

*Warning infant death mentioned in video* I saw this video the other day on another forum and it had me bawling. We wouldn't terminate either, but I'd have also wanted to know ahead of time so we could make all the needed arrangements. Plus one online friend and one IRL friend have lost babies this past month - one at 12 weeks and the other at 10 - and on my other board another mom lost her daughter at 36 weeks (she'd had complications since the 20 week u/s) so it really makes you realize what a blessing an uneventful pregnancy is.

I just hate this in between time, and with the anterior placenta it looks like the in between time is going to be so much longer this time around. I'm relatively "symptom free" now, with the exception of my expanding waistline - so I can "forget" that I'm pregnant, and that makes me so paranoid that something is wrong. I'm sure in another month or so I'll be whining how I can't get any sleep because someone is trying to stick a foot through my belly button or something, and this will seem really silly.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#6 of 20 Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Oh my goodness, I haven't even been examined or heard the heartbeat yet! I really need to get on that...

#7 of 20 Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
Oh my goodness, I haven't even been examined or heard the heartbeat yet! I really need to get on that...
Because you don't want to be, or just having a hard time getting in for an appointment? You aren't going crazy about it?

#8 of 20 Old 09-07-2009, 10:11 PM

With my two prior pregnancies, I worried until the ultrasound, and then I worried again until the birth. Neither pregnancy did I manage to worry about the right things.

I plan to do the one ultrasound at some point in this pregnancy, but if we don't get around to it, then we just don't get around to it. I'm not pushing; I'm not going to worry without reason.

I mean, if our midwives and doctors are okay with our not having ultrasounds, are they being irresponsible? I hardly think so.

It is a very personal decision. Maybe there will be consequences to live with. But there always are.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#9 of 20 Old 09-07-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Because you don't want to be, or just having a hard time getting in for an appointment? You aren't going crazy about it?
I just decided on my provider before we went on vacation, then had 2 busy workweeks in a row. Things will be slowing down after this week and I'll be able to get things lined up more quickly. Not really going crazy about it. Sometimes I'll wonder if there could be a problem I'm not aware of, but I think I'm pretty in tune with my body and would know if it was something serious & emergent.

#10 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 12:00 AM

I don't believe the risks outweigh the benefits. It is not because I'm ignorant or uninformed.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#11 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
With my two prior pregnancies, I worried until the ultrasound, and then I worried again until the birth. Neither pregnancy did I manage to worry about the right things.

I plan to do the one ultrasound at some point in this pregnancy, but if we don't get around to it, then we just don't get around to it. I'm not pushing; I'm not going to worry without reason.

I mean, if our midwives and doctors are okay with our not having ultrasounds, are they being irresponsible? I hardly think so.

It is a very personal decision. Maybe there will be consequences to live with. But there always are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
I don't believe the risks outweigh the benefits. It is not because I'm ignorant or uninformed.
I hope you don't think that I'm suggesting that you are ignorant, uninformed, or irresponsible. That's not it at all! Maybe I'm just a worrywart...I don't know how you aren't going crazy wondering how the baby is doing.

I have had two early losses, so in the first trimester it is comforting for me to see that heartbeat and now everything is going well. And now - well unlike many of you, I am feeling very little movement, so I have this paranoia that something could happen to the baby and I wouldn't know. Something like having Downs or another Trisomy condition - while I know there is nothing I can do, I want to be prepared - find out who we'll need to see, what special arrangements we'll need to make, and just get over part of the grieving process. I don't think that I could personally handle the shock of the baby being born with something seriously wrong. Not to mention having to try to deal with all the arrangements in a post partum state - I have 3 other kids who also need me, DH has to go back to work right away, we don't have a lot of family support....

I'll also be the person in the third trimester having a slice of cake because I'm worried baby hasn't kicked as much that afternoon...

#12 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Some of the reason some of you have mentioned for wanting the u/s (finding out if something's wrong...) are exactly the reasons I chose NOT to get an ultrasound with my previous 2 babes. For every story I've heard of something actually being wrong, I've heard 2 for being told something was wrong only to have it either resolve on it's own or never have been the case in the first place. I wanted to enjoy my pregnancies and trust that everything would be fine. I did not want to spend my last months of pregnancy totally stressed out, researching, wondering "why me" then feeling guilty on top of all that for feeling so stressed and knowing that is not good for babe either. I wanted to birth my babes at home, look into their eyes, and instantly fall in love - then worry about what comes next, should there be a problem.

With all that said, I have decided to do an ultrasound this time (tomorrow!) because I would like to know the sex this time around. I figured I'd experience it from both sides!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#13 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM

I am not getting an U/S, unless my midwife says it is medically necessary. I would only get one to find out the sex, and for me, that doesn't seem like a valid enough reason. If they were to tell me something is wrong, I would spend the next 5.5 months stressing, worrying, etc... and none of that would be good for the baby.

Mama to three

#14 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 AM

Just lost a long post, so I'll just say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
Ditto that! Thanks for saying it, Ninetales!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#15 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I hope you don't think that I'm suggesting that you are ignorant, uninformed, or irresponsible. That's not it at all! Maybe I'm just a worrywart...I don't know how you aren't going crazy wondering how the baby is doing.

I have had two early losses, so in the first trimester it is comforting for me to see that heartbeat and now everything is going well. And now - well unlike many of you, I am feeling very little movement, so I have this paranoia that something could happen to the baby and I wouldn't know. Something like having Downs or another Trisomy condition - while I know there is nothing I can do, I want to be prepared - find out who we'll need to see, what special arrangements we'll need to make, and just get over part of the grieving process. I don't think that I could personally handle the shock of the baby being born with something seriously wrong. Not to mention having to try to deal with all the arrangements in a post partum state - I have 3 other kids who also need me, DH has to go back to work right away, we don't have a lot of family support....

I'll also be the person in the third trimester having a slice of cake because I'm worried baby hasn't kicked as much that afternoon...

Thanks for the clarification. It hurts sometimes because that is how a lot of people view my decision so I suppose I'm sensitive to insinuations. Putting aside the huge amount of false positives and missed problems, I can't think of many situations or conditions that would require me to do anything different to prepare before the baby. Down's and most other conditions don't require any big changes - you care for it pretty much the same way as any other baby. And if there is a medical condition, that's what hospitals are for. Also, I trust my body to give me signs and symptoms, and my midwives to spot them as well, if something is not right, and of course that would be different.

I have felt no movement whatsoever. Of course I wonder sometimes if everything is all right, but it's still early yet, and I have so many problems with ultrasound that it wouldn't allay that worry for me. I figure if I am not bleeding and still growing, things are still fine.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#16 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 01:28 PM

I think my views on this subject comes directly from the experience of my close friend. The problems they found with her baby DID dictate a lot of things to be done before the baby came to term. Unfortunately, they decided to end the pregnancy at 26 weeks, a decision that for them at the time they were grateful to make because they had the information from ultrasounds and MRIs. Since this just happened weeks ago, I think I am emotionally still wired pretty tight and feel so strong about getting the reassurance that everything is okay through an ultrasound.

Now this situation is not common--healthy pregnancies are the norm, so I understand the views of others not wanting the stress and worry. I don't think ANYONE is ignorant either by the way!!!!!! We just all feel differently!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#17 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabus View Post
I think my views on this subject comes directly from the experience of my close friend. The problems they found with her baby DID dictate a lot of things to be done before the baby came to term. Unfortunately, they decided to end the pregnancy at 26 weeks, a decision that for them at the time they were grateful to make because they had the information from ultrasounds and MRIs. Since this just happened weeks ago, I think I am emotionally still wired pretty tight and feel so strong about getting the reassurance that everything is okay through an ultrasound.

Now this situation is not common--healthy pregnancies are the norm, so I understand the views of others not wanting the stress and worry. I don't think ANYONE is ignorant either by the way!!!!!! We just all feel differently!
Yes, I think I hang out in internet forums too much, I've "known" too many women who have lost babies later on for one reason or another. And like the parents in the video I linked, don't know if anyone watched it - it is pretty sad, but they were picking out caskets, not travel systems before the baby was born. Again, a rare case, but still...

I wish I could be "relaxed" enough to just go with the flow and feel like everything was ok unless I had a real reason to think otherwise, but that just isn't my personality I guess...

#18 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I wish I could be "relaxed" enough to just go with the flow and feel like everything was ok unless I had a real reason to think otherwise, but that just isn't my personality I guess...
I know what you mean, but again for my friend, she felt fine and great the whole time. Nothing that was going on for her baby ever would have been felt or noticed by her until maybe the very end of her pregnancy at which point getting the hlep she needed to deliver the baby would have been a big emergency. I've never been one to worry too much about my pregnancies, but having someone close go through such a thing makes it very real, despite how rare it may be.

#19 of 20 Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 PM

Nicole, you were just starting to make me paranoid. I called to make my first appt with the MW's backup OB office (where they do initial bloodwork) and can't get in till Oct. 5th!! So I was going to get a little panicky. And all of a sudden, this little bean started jumping around like crazy last week, and totally assuaged my fears!

Then today the mw listened to the heartbeat with the fetoscope, which doesn't work till almost 20 weeks, and I thought I was no where near that. Then she tells me I'm 19 weeks today and makes the comment 'well, you're having a pretty laid-back little pregnancy, eh?' And I'm like 'not on purpose, I'm just slow!' It wasn't a full appointment with her, but I was glad to be measuring normal and have her hear the HB. That, coupled with getting my BP and reflexes looked at by the chiro on Sat, makes me feel like I'm good to go.

#20 of 20 Old 09-17-2009, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry! Glad to hear that your mini-appointment went well though!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page