Mothering Forum banner

Do we have a thread for Homebirthers?

4K views 158 replies 41 participants last post by  PseudoDiva 
#1 ·
This will be my first homebirth, and first time being attended by a midwife. She is a CNM with a stellar reputation and has just been wonderful so far, although I haven't actually had a real appointment with her yet. I'm considering waterbirth, although my one (probably dumb) hangup is that I don't want to use chlorinated city water if I do. Not sure how that would work. I'm planning on not having any u/s, and have requested the MW use a fetoscope instead of doppler. I'm using Hypnobabies to prepare. I've arranged for a doula, even though it's pretty uncommon for them to attend births with this MW, just because I don't have family in the area and DH is pretty anxious about birth...wants to just babysit DD and look away most of the time.

Anyone else planning a homebirth? What are your thoughts/plans focused on right now?

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I'm considering waterbirth, although my one (probably dumb) hangup is that I don't want to use chlorinated city water if I do.

Anyone else planning a homebirth? What are your thoughts/plans focused on right now?
I am! The only thing I'm worried about right now is getting our crazy, disorganized home in some form of order before the birth LOL I'm even putting DS in care so I can have some extra time to focus on this.

About the city water - I've heard that if chlorinated water sits out for some period of time (I don't think it has to be that long) the chlorine all evaporates out of it. Could you fill the tub as soon as you start having contractions and wait to get in for a few hours?

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chai View Post
About the city water - I've heard that if chlorinated water sits out for some period of time (I don't think it has to be that long) the chlorine all evaporates out of it. Could you fill the tub as soon as you start having contractions and wait to get in for a few hours?
Wouldn't the water cool down too much that way? Also, that would just mean the chlorine would evaporate into the air around the tub...hmmm.

I actually have a chlorine filter on our shower head. But I know you have to screw a hose and some kind of attachment on there somehow to fill the birth tub (not using the regular bath tub), so I'm guessing it wouldn't fit the filter. Probably too early to be worrying about it, but that's how I am!

#4 ·
I have a similar issue with the water here, although it is supposedly fine, and I've been here long enough to be used to it. Chai's right about if the water sits out long enough. Some people even add bleach to the birthing water, then let it sit (about 2 hours, I think?) until it 'burns off'. (I do not plan to do that!)

I've never labored in water before, but I've heard soooo many positive experiences with water, I HAVE to try it this time! Also never used a doula before but really hope to find an English-speaking one for this time. Especially because I'm still studying to be a doula, so I know a lot of tricks and will be able to tell her what to tell me to do!

My big thing is that I like to paint my birthing space, although this time I'm not sure if I'll be birthing in the bedroom like last time or in the living room with the tub. But doing my painting in the bedroom, making it into a cocoon. At the least, I'm sure that's where I'll be during the postpartum period, so baby and I will have something pretty to look at.

That was one of the hardest parts of moving away from the house where my second daughter was born (first homebirth)... I was leaving my birthing space. I had painted in watercolor on the windows, which is easily washable and has surely already been washed away by now...

#6 ·
Our house in Atlanta was a little older and had pretty tiny bedrooms, too. You can see 2 or 3 pics of my birthing space here. It was small, but inclusive of things that meant something to me. I felt very relaxed there and still actually get that feeling back just by looking at the pics.

And I'm not really an artist, as you can see, but, in a way, putting myself out there like that made it easier for me to relax. Of course I knew the midwives would see my "pregnant tree" painted on the window, and that was embarrassing, but they were also about to have their hands all over my vagina, so... It was like, "WELCOME, to ALL that is Tamara!"

#7 ·
I LOVE your birthing window idea. I just might use that.

This is my 2nd homebirth, G-d Willing. First one was amazing. Once you go homebirth, you'll never go back, is what I say. B"H

I also am thinking water birth. The image of water comes to me over and over again with this baby, including with the name.

I don't know what I'm going to do about ultrasound. I keep flipping and flopping back and forth on the issue. I *know* I'm having a boy...but then again, what if I'm wrong. But then again, it's not coming from me, but from my dreams which have been so clear over and over about this being a boy...

I'm on the mw hunt right now. I've got one I like well enough. I THINK she's the one...but...ug.

Feeling so indecisive.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aramat View Post

I've never labored in water before, but I've heard soooo many positive experiences with water, I HAVE to try it this time! Also never used a doula before but really hope to find an English-speaking one for this time. Especially because I'm still studying to be a doula, so I know a lot of tricks and will be able to tell her what to tell me to do!

Laboring in water is fantastic. It was like instant pain relief. I really didn't want to get out of the tub, but was afraid to push in the water because I was afraid of pooping! I'm trying to get over that this time because being in the water was so heavenly.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
I also am thinking water birth. The image of water comes to me over and over again with this baby, including with the name.
That is so interesting! My DS has a water related middle name, and I thought of one I really want to use if this one's a girl (though DH has not approved it yet).

#10 ·
This will be our fourth homebirth! We are really excited...found a midwife about whom I'm very excited, even though we haven't had an official prenatal appt yet....our first appt is on the 20th!

Water has always been an important part of my births, even my hospital one (they pretty much had to force me out of the tub and back into bed.
)

With our first homebirth, we lived in a super tiny house with no tub, so we moved the furniture and had a kiddie pool in the living room! Once I got in, I didn't want out--the midwife had to suggest that i get out and take a walk to increase my contractions while they warmed up the pool!

DD1 was born in the water...she was over 9 pounds, posterior, and a compound presentation, and the water helped her to glide over my perineum without barely a skid mark!

Second homebirth, we lived in a house with a huge, deep bathtub. I labored in the tub a great deal of the time, but as I neared pushing, I wanted out. Turns out ds2's cord was tangled, and being out of the water made it much easier for dh and the midwife to loosen him. Funny how our bodies just know...

Third homebirth was wonderful and most of the time I was in the water (same house, big tub) but we ran out of hot water and I got out while my mom was boiling water in every container she could find, including a bowl in the microwave! But dd2 wouldn't wait....she was born on dry land, and the ONLY thing I could think about was getting back in that tub of finally-hot water!
As soon as the placenta was born, I gave the baby to dh and I got in the tub--they cut her cord and brought her to me, and I nursed her while I soaked in that glorious tub and everyone cleaned up and remade our bed!

This time I'm not sure how things are gonna work out....we now live in a 2-story house, with the laundry room on the bottom level and bedrooms upstairs....not sure how we could get a hose up to fill a birthing pool, and our tub is very small and shallow.
We could set set it up on the ground floor I guess, but I think I'd prefer to be in more of a private setting, what with the kids (and whoever is here to tend to them) running all over. And likely it will be much too cold for them to play outside....so I'm not sure how we'll work things....that's one thing I intend to ask the midwife at our upcoming appointment; I'm sure she'll have ideas. I wouldn't mind investing in a nice birth tub, but I just can't imagine how we could set it up in our bedroom/bathroom and still be able to fill it or drain it easily!

#11 ·
We are planning our second homebirth. DD was a home waterbirth. We were also in a tiny house, so we ended up setting up the pool in the kitchen. People get a kick out of it when they ask where DD was born and are waiting for me to name a hospital and I say in my kitchen.

We had to switch midwives because we have moved and are too far from our midwife that attended DD's birth. But, we found a wonderful midwife that we both really love AND she is probably covered by our insurance!!! I have an appointment Thursday, so I should know for sure if it will be covered.
:

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I'm considering waterbirth, although my one (probably dumb) hangup is that I don't want to use chlorinated city water if I do. Not sure how that would work.
leila1213, I just found this product....maybe it would solve your problem?

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
I wouldn't mind investing in a nice birth tub, but I just can't imagine how we could set it up in our bedroom/bathroom and still be able to fill it or drain it easily!
Is there a faucet on the house outside? You could run a hose through the window.

Also, don't some birth tubs have built in heaters?

#14 ·
I am planning my first homebirth and I'm very excited! I don't plan on having a water birth, but maybe I'll get in my own tub (ha -if I can fit!) for some of the laboring. I plan on having DH, DS (he'll be 22 months), and my mom here for the birth, along with my midwife.

I didn't take any classes last time, as far as breathing and whatnot, but I think I did fine (no pain meds...) I am debating taking a class this time around.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chai View Post
Is there a faucet on the house outside? You could run a hose through the window.

Also, don't some birth tubs have built in heaters?
Not an outside faucet on the right side of the house....I had thought about that, but it wouldn't work. Pretty much the only options I can think of are winding a hose (or two!) through the kitchen, down the hall, and up the stairs, or setting the pool up downstairs in the kitchen.

Not sure about a pool heater.....the ones with built-in heaters are way out of our price range, but I don't know if a submersible heater would work, or if it would be too much of a risk of damaging the pool....we could probably find one fairly easily; maybe even borrow the one for the church's baptistry. I'll just have to ask the midwife....

One other option might be setting up a birth space in our dining room, which is on the ground floor, right off the kitchen. We have laminate flooring in there, and it is open to the kitchen and the living room, but could be closed off somewhat with curtains, etc. to make it a bit more private. I'd still hear the kids (and they would hear me) which could prove to be distracting, but it might be a viable option.

I'm intending to purchase the la bassine birth pool....been wanting it ever since it first came out, but couldn't justify it when I had that huge bathtub!

I wish the Sevylor 5' round pool was still available....it'd be more affordable! I think my midwife has the professional version of the bassine that I might could use, but I don't know how much it would cost to rent from her. I just don't know....so many questions, but I'm glad there's plenty of time to figure it out!

#16 ·
Homebirth plan here too! It will be our first babe and we are very excited. I have a great midwife and doula lined up which gives me great confidence. I am planning on having DH, my mom, and my sister there in addition to mw and doula. I love water, it makes me feel peaceful and I think I want to at least labor in a tub. My sister wanted to as well but was never able to make it to the tub in time so we will see. We have had an ultrasound which I was not really wanting but DH really wanted to know sex of the baby. I am glad we did it now because I can see how DH is really getting attached now that he can call the baby by name. I too am wanting to make sure I get everything organized! I am in school finishing my master's and all I want to do is clean out closets and get things in order. I will have time but it is thought consuming now

#17 ·
I'm planning a homebirth, but will likely NOT have a waterbirth.
When in labor with DS, I did shower early on in the labor which was great. Later in labor, when I did start having pain, I tried using the whirlpool tub at the Hospital but it just made my labor much more intense and kind of made me panic/lose focus a little and ended up needing to get out immediately (which was weird for me because I'm a big water lover).
I may use the shower again this time as I found it really relaxing, but I can't really see myself trying to get in a tub/pool because of what happened last time.

DH and DS (who will be 5) will be there.
I have a good friend nearby who I'm hoping can make it, and depending on when I go into labour her daughter may be here too (she will also be 5 by the time my due date). I'm also hoping to have my younger sister and my best friend here, but they live 3-4 hours away so I'm not exactly counting on them making it in time for my birth. My previous birth was 5.5 hours and my Mom who also lives 3 hours away barely made it in time.

I won't be having my Mom or DH's parents at my birth this time -- they stressed me out too much during DS's birth and I want to avoid that this time. Especially DH's Mom who continuously tried to make jokes and made a lot of comments that really changed the mood in the room for me. DH's parents live a mere 5 minute drive from my house, and will throw a huge fit if they know they aren't invited so we're planning on keeping it a secret and then calling and announcing the birth in somewhat of an "oops... it happened to fast" sort of way. They aren't exactly supportive of homebirths either, which is another reason I don't want them here as I can see them freaking out about everything.

I'm really at peace with my decision on who to have here, and who I absolutely do not want here. I feel a little bad about keeping my labour a secret from our parents, but having a peaceful/non-stressful labour and birth this time is far more important to me than possibly hurting someone's feelings by not having them at the birth.

For the most part, I've been envisioning a quiet/peaceful labour and am trying to work out in my mind exactly how I want to set up my house for it. Colors (can) play a big role in how I feel, so each room I use has somewhat of a different feeling for me.
So far I've decided that I want:
-- a dark/quiet room with candles which will be my bedroom. We don't get much light in there, and it's decorated in colors (red, cream and black) that make me feel feminine/strong/passionate. I imagine I'll use this room when I want to be alone and want to focus more on myself.
-- a lighter room with soft music which will be our guest bedroom. It's decorated in blues and dark browns which make me feel peaceful/calm.
-- and I'll have the living room which is decorated in browns, creams and greens which makes me feel earthy/softer strength.

I am actually somewhat excited to give birth.

#18 ·
I'm also planning a homebirth...my first and I'm so excited! My first hospital birth was fine, but my second was horrible. I did fine at home, but transporting to the hospital broke my concentration, and things were so intense and fast once we got to the hospital, that I had no time to get back "in the zone" and relax. Anyway, i'm looking forward to just staying where i am, and not worrying about packing the car up, etc and making the long journey to the hospital (esp if there is a snowstorm, as is common in Feb.)

When i picture my birth, I see myself in my great big bathtub. We have a huge bathroom, so there will be plenty of space for folding chairs for dh and m/ws--not sure if my kids will be present or not. We have speakers hooked up in the bathroom, so i can listen to my favorite relaxing music. and the lights have dimmers, so it can be nice and dark and cozy, I think. Plus, i want candles. that's my dream, i hope it works out that way

#19 ·
Crashing from Jan 2010 DDC
We are planning our second homebirth & third waterbirth. My first two were actually land births, but I am trying to do everything I can for a waterbirth this time around. I loved laboring in the water!!

We have the Sevylor 5' pool & it rocks for support
: The one thing we will do is turn the water heater up as high as it can go so we have TONS of warm/hot water. We ran out with our last birth since we turned it down for when the baby was born...big mistake

Anyways, we are really looking forward to late January!

#21 ·
strawberryprincess, can I rent your bathroom? Like to live in?
Put in a recliner and a minifridge, and I'd be set!

Gray's Mommy, where did you find the Sevylor pool? Was it recent, or have you had it for awhile? I've been searching for it, but can't find it anywhere!! So sad it was discontinued....what a great pool! We used the intex fishy pool for our first homebirth, and while it worked fine, the vertical beam construction would be SO much better for supporting a laboring woman!

If I could find the Sevylor one, I'd buy it on the spot!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsajenism View Post
I am actually somewhat excited to give birth.
Me, too! I was last time, also. It's like Christmas to me, and I am nesting like crazy in preparation.

#23 ·
Wow, lots of homebirthers!

I had my first baby at the Farm, but I think it would be nice to do things in my very own house this time.
Last time I didn't even bother to get in the shower... but everyone keeps saying how great the water is, so I'll probably have the midwife bring the birth tub and see if I feel like getting in it when the time comes. Or at least I'll try the shower this time.

Right now I'm having trouble figuring out what to plan! Last pregnancy I was researching like mad the whole pregnancy... now I can't figure out what I want to know. Maybe I'll borrow another book from the midwife tomorrow and that will give me some ideas.

#24 ·
Homebirth is tricky in our state, they like to prosecute the midwife. But there's a nice midwife who has a birth house set up just over the border and many women from my state go there. That's where I had dd and that's probably where I'll have this one. I'm actually going there for an appointment tomorrow.

The only thing is, I've been really worried this time around. I was not like this with any of the other three. I always just went through the pregnancy contentedly. But I've had the impression for quite a while that this pregnancy (and possibly birth) would be more medicalized than I'd prefer. That was only strengthened when I had an episode of bleeding at 13 weeks (the first in 4 pregnancies) and went in to the hospital midwives for an ultrasound. Baby was fine, but the placenta was over the cervix and it had torn away a bit which had caused the bleeding. A few weeks of restricted activity and everything's good again. Everything I've read and been told suggests that there's an extremely high chance that the placenta will move but obviously if it doesn't a c-sec is the only option.

Even that's not what's worrying me so much, I'm just really anxious that something unexpected will happen around the birth. I've never been this way before, which worries me even more. How do you tell the difference between intuition and just worry? I have no idea which this is, but I hope it's not intuition. For the first time I can understand these women who worry themselves into an elective c-sec (not that I'm planning to do that, but I'm starting to see where they're coming from).

Sorry this got so long. I am planning a homebirth (or as close as is possible here other than UC). So sign me up for this thread.

#25 ·
Quote:

Third homebirth was wonderful and most of the time I was in the water (same house, big tub) but we ran out of hot water and I got out while my mom was boiling water in every container she could find, including a bowl in the microwave! But dd2 wouldn't wait....she was born on dry land, and the ONLY thing I could think about was getting back in that tub of finally-hot water!
As soon as the placenta was born, I gave the baby to dh and I got in the tub--they cut her cord and brought her to me, and I nursed her while I soaked in that glorious tub and everyone cleaned up and remade our bed!

Funny, I usually visualize the birth taking place in the tub and then moving to the bed for bonding with babe. But your way sounds awesome too!

Quote:

leila1213, I just found this product....maybe it would solve your problem?
Nice!! That could work out well. We could put the tub in the dining room, which is right off the kitchen.

#26 ·
LOL, that was one AWESOME bath, lemme tell ya!
I'd worked HARD and waited a looooong time for that water to be warm....I think dh was a little weirded out by how quickly I handed off the babe so I could get in the tub, but it was a compelling NEED by that time!
Unfortunately, the midwife made me get back out far too soon so she could monitor my bleeding!

I've been thinking this afternoon about setting up a birth pool in my dining room, too....which is also right off our kitchen. It would probably be the likeliest spot....easier to fill and drain than anywhere upstairs, and it would be the easiest spot downstairs to make sort of private...all the other rooms are very open-floor-plan.

I dunno....not really feeling that too much. Hope something becomes more clear to me before Feb!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.