Pregnancy-induced asthma?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-11-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't say that I have this for sure, but I've been wondering...

I have never had asthma before although my mom has it. But I've been noticing lately that if I carry my son up and down a flight of stairs, or do other like things, my chest feels very tight and I feel like it's hard to keep up with my breath. I feel fine until I do some activity like that and then it's tight and uncomfortable for awhile. I played sports competetively my whole life and have never had a problem and am not overweight or anything. Toward the very end of my first pregnancy it was hard to catch my breath going up stairs and all that, but I'm just 18 weeks now. Could it be asthma?

Anyone else??

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#2 of 7 Old 09-11-2009, 04:48 PM

in my unprofessional opinion, i'd say it depends how long it lasts. if it takes you a couple of minutes to catch your breath, then it seems like normal pregnancy "shortness of breath".
if after your breathing rate returns to normal you still aren't feeling like you can't get enough air, it sounds like asthma. also, i can hear my breath is raspy when my asthma is inflamed.

i've got allergy induced asthma and it's about as bad as i would expect it to be when i'm not taking any allergy meds. i used my inhaler about three times. luckily albuterol is safe to use during pregnancy.

i would chat with your doc at your next appointment.

Breastfeeding nerd. ttc #2!
#3 of 7 Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 PM

I'm short of breath and I noticed some chest tightness walking today when I was going up steep hills. I'm assuming I'm just out of shape a little because my fatigue has kept my activity level low (well, that and illness and injury).

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#4 of 7 Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 AM

I have occasional asthma, so I have an inhaler and a meter to show me when to use it. Not that this is the same as advice from a doctor, but every single time I've thought I was having an asthma attack since I was pregnant, my lung capacity was actually not comprimised at all. So really I'm just having pregnancy shortness of breath. I'm thinking it must have to do with all my chest organs feeling a little squeezed as my uterus grows.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#5 of 7 Old 09-12-2009, 10:00 PM

hmmmm could be shortness of breath, have you checked into your iron levels, mine are usually low and that makes my shortness of breath worse.....

not sure about the asthma.....I had it as a child and 'outgrew' it as I became an adult but have the very occasional mild flare up especially after a cold/flu ...like now I'm getting over a cold and my chest is tight but it also hurts, my throat itches and I can hear my labored breathing ...I think that is abit of asthma there...sorry not being too helpful.....I'd mention it to the dr at your next appt...

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#6 of 7 Old 09-13-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I guess allergies are super bad right now too? I've never had allergies either, but.....? who knows.... I notice it most when I exercise although yesterday after leaving a wedding there were a lot of smokers outside, my chest was already super tight and I couldn't stop coughing....

But the tightness in my chest once started lasts for hours at a time. I'm talking like 8-9 hours... it's awful. I see my doctor in a week, so that will be first on my list.

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Pregnancy can make allergies worse (or new ones appear) For me, it's the increased estrogen, it creates total allergy havoc. Right now the ragweed is killing me and my super eco-conscious DH is insisting on opening the windows at night

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page