Mothering Forum banner

Weekly chat thread September 20th-26th

2K views 60 replies 22 participants last post by  hapersmion 
#1 ·
Another week, another week bigger, and another week closer to actual baby being here!

#2 ·
Yay!!!!

So I'm going for my 20 week appointment today. Going to ask all about these headaches, etc and see what they think about the baby being so big. I'd like to see if they'd move my due date to the date I'm sure we conceived at! Long shot I'm sure and I know it doesn't really matter...but at least if we moved my due date to the date I'm sure of then the baby would be measuring right on target and not so big! I'm scared this baby is going to be near 10 lbs this time!!

#3 ·
Becca- I am so excited for your appt! It's always wonderful to know that your baby is doing well in there
Do you chart perhaps? Why don't they believe your due date? I personally say do not even worry about it. I highly doubt your baby will stay in two weeks longer then your actual due date and personally I think it's better that they think the due date is farther away then you do bc then they won't pressure you to get induced.

#5 ·
I just scored 5 pairs of maternity jeans/cords/yoga pants at a 2nd hand store for 36 dollars! I'm excited about this find...they are all narrow leg and under the belly.

I was looking on line for new jeans/cords and was hesitant to buy online as I wasn't sure how they would fit and I didn't want to do a lot of returns. As well, if I went the online route I would have only bought two pairs for the duration!

In my town, there is limited shopping for maternity clothes - in fact, only one store (Motherhood?) exists and I didn't like their jeans. The Gap and Old Navy and department stores closed down their maternity sections. OH, H&M has some a maternity section but the cords didnt fit me well. And Target, but they didnt seem to have any jeans / cords - my fall essentials!

#7 ·
Quote:
I just got jumped on by my dog on my stomach. Should I be worried? He is a 17lb dog and he was really excited and ran to chase a ball. No bleeding or cramping yet...
I asked my midwife about this too. I have a 20lb dauschund who get's jumpy around my belly. My midwife said not to worry about it all. Your uterus is very strong and well protected.

So, now I'm starting to think this baby might be a girl. I'm had really strong boy feelings from 10 weeks but all my friends who had strong feelings are ending up with the opposite of what they thought. Also, someone needs to start balancing out the boy:girl ratio in this DDC.
Or maybe all our green team members will have girls. I'm finding out one week from today and the wait is killing me!

#8 ·
Not much exciting here today...tomorrow I find out what this lil bean is, if it cooperates that is! haha Lauren- I wouldnt worry about it at all. I have 80+ lb dogs...and they havnt killed me or anyone else for that matter, yet. They jump up at me constantlly.

#9 ·
Thanks guys, I hope you are right
You all seem to be smart women and I think I felt the baby move (or else I have some pretty big gas!)

I honestly think that I am now having a girl. At the last ultrasound the doctor said he "Can't see anything between the legs" and I saw a black area... he is german and stoic and I did nto know whether that meant it was a girl or that baby was not cooperating. Plus it was the first time I met the dr. and I was too shy to ask. I know I need to get over that.

#10 ·
Not much going on here, either. We've still got two weeks to go until the ultrasound where we'll (hopefully) find out the gender. It seems like such a long wait!

We've started interviewing doulas. The one we met so far is amazing! We have a few more meetings set up this week. And, we signed up for a hypnobirthing class that will start in late October. So it feels like we're making good progress getting ready for things, but we're also swamped with work and stuff around the house!

It's finally cooling off a little bit here, so I can go for walks with DH now instead of always using the treadmill at the gym.

#11 ·
I'll be 20 weeks on Thursday. Halfway through. That's a little scary to me. Even scarier is realizing that we're all going to be in THIRD TRIMESTER very soon... eek!

My u/s got changed to Oct 2 because of a conflict, so another week before I get to see what's going on in there. But... we're not finding out the sex anyway so it's not as exciting as it otherwise would be.

My morning sickness is coming back! I am NOT amused.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
I just got jumped on by my dog on my stomach. Should I be worried? He is a 17lb dog and he was really excited and ran to chase a ball. No bleeding or cramping yet...

ooo, ouch, that scares me too. Our dog is 70 lbs and quite jumpy. I'm sure you're fine, but from here on out just be uber protective of that bean in there. I always bring my knee up in the way of my belly or just turn my back to our dog when he jumps, which I guess is what you should do anyway to discourage jumping?

#13 ·
Howdy ladies

Ultrasound is tomorrow at 3. I can hardly wait. Pray for a cooperative baby

Part of me is still scared I'll hear..."hey there's two!"

I've been bitten by the knitting bug (I was spending some time on diaperswappers lol) and though I'm not very good at it, I'm bound and determined to get something made!

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
Howdy ladies

Ultrasound is tomorrow at 3. I can hardly wait. Pray for a cooperative baby

Part of me is still scared I'll hear..."hey there's two!"

I've been bitten by the knitting bug (I was spending some time on diaperswappers lol) and though I'm not very good at it, I'm bound and determined to get something made!
Ooo...me too! I'm knitting this only with orange and brown stripes on the bottom instead of the pattern. I'll post pictures when I finish (probably like a month from now, but I'm really enjoying myself). I think making things for the little babe is helping me bond with him/her.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustSimplicity View Post
Ooo...me too! I'm knitting this only with orange and brown stripes on the bottom instead of the pattern. I'll post pictures when I finish (probably like a month from now, but I'm really enjoying myself). I think making things for the little babe is helping me bond with him/her.
That is too cute!!

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabus View Post
ooo, ouch, that scares me too. Our dog is 70 lbs and quite jumpy. I'm sure you're fine, but from here on out just be uber protective of that bean in there. I always bring my knee up in the way of my belly or just turn my back to our dog when he jumps, which I guess is what you should do anyway to discourage jumping?
Well I was laying on the couch and he jumped over/on me on his way to grab the ball. Oh I hope the beany is ok

#17 ·
Today we begin our prenatal classes that focus on homebirth. I am excited but a little apprehensive about our visit because we also have a prenatal appt right before the class. I am going to talk to my mw about the RH factor and what her protocol is etc. I still feel like I don't quite get what all I should do even though I have read tons of articles on it. I am curious to see how much weight I have gained because I know he has been growing even more and the last count was up 8lbs! It is still weird to me to gain weight so fast. I know that it isn't even that much, but as a first timer it still seems odd sometimes.
I too have caught the knitting bug. I am afraid I had it before I even got pg. I will definitely be knitting that pattern posted above! it is adorable! So far, I have knitted a sweater, some overalls, and I am finishing up some pants to go with the sweater. I LOVE it and would appreciate any cute patterns anyone has to post!

#18 ·
Quote:

Becca- I am so excited for your appt! It's always wonderful to know that your baby is doing well in there
Do you chart perhaps? Why don't they believe your due date?
Yes I was definitely charting, checking CM and all that stuff. I had been for about 6 months so knew that I ovulated around day 19/20 (the same as when I concieved our first). We DTD right around those two days and then got pregnant. Based on when I believe I ovulated, I'd be due Feb 1st. When I got the "dating" ultrasound done, the baby was measuring smaller, so they put my date at Feb 11th--a whole 10 days later, not really a big deal, I know! BUT for me it was because that implies that I ovulated on day 28 of my cycle, which I have NEVER, EVER, EVER done in the put together full year that I had been charting. I guess I just don't like being told that I'm wrong, especially when it comes to my body, ya know? And now that the baby is measuring about 2 weeks bigger, I'm really thinking that I'm right about my dates. Anyhoo, it's just stupid details, but it has just been bothering me!!! Who knows, maybe I had a fluke late ovulation and this baby is just going to be huge??

#19 ·
Quote:

Well I was laying on the couch and he jumped over/on me on his way to grab the ball. Oh I hope the beany is ok

ooooo...that's definitely different than what I was talking about. I'm sure the little one is okay, but just pay close attention to your body and its signals. I know you're in Germany, so I don't know what the doctors/nurses are like, but even put in a call. No question is stupid in pregnancy! IF anything, it would just put your mind at ease, which is priceless.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
I am curious to see how much weight I have gained because I know he has been growing even more and the last count was up 8lbs! It is still weird to me to gain weight so fast. I know that it isn't even that much, but as a first timer it still seems odd sometimes.
Personally, gaining weight even the 2nd time around isn't easy to get used to. I wish I was one of those women who just accepted it and loved it and enjoyed it, but I just don't!

#21 ·
Quote:

It's fine. I wish I had a quarter for every time my 35 pound preschooler has done the same thing.

I have a friend who fell down the stairs and *landed* on her big, pregnant stomach, and she (and babe) were totally fine.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
So far, I have knitted a sweater, some overalls, and I am finishing up some pants to go with the sweater. I LOVE it and would appreciate any cute patterns anyone has to post!
I cannot wait to find out what this baby is so I can start knitting gender-specific things. Here are some things I have favorited on ravelry that would be good for a boy:

Cargo Pants
Vestee (This I'm actually almost done with. I followed the pattern with long sleeves and hood but the body is too short so I think I'm going to have to pick up the stitches and add some ribbing)
Newborn Socks
Poncho (I'm thinking this would be helpful for babywearing in the winter.)

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
It's fine. I wish I had a quarter for every time my 35 pound preschooler has done the same thing.

Yep. Same here with our toddler. She's taken to sleeping in our bed lately, and I have to sleep with one hand or a pillow over my belly to keep her from kicking it!

I can't knit, but I am teaching myself to sew. Have made a few cloth diapers and last week made a baby gown out of an old t-shirt! Lookie! Hoping to make a trip to a fabric store some time this week to get some 'cool' fabrics.

And one other thing -- The husband! Needs! To learn! To clean up after himself! Because GOSH! This pregnant lady is going to LOSE it! AND I MEAN LOSE IT! :p

#24 ·
I had a fun weekend. I also had to do a little shopping yesterday because we are going to visit my in laws next weekend and we have to go to a wedding, rehearsal dinner, and my sister in law is also throwing me a small baby shower (this is the only time we will be there to visit them before the baby is born. I know it's super early, but it's a nice gesture from someone that has not always appeared to like me).

Soooo, I had to buy THREE dresses. EEK.

I have another appointment this week. I met with the "hospital midwives" for an initial consult last weekend and I do think I feel pretty comfortable with them. Of course it's the only option at the moment, BUT I'm determined to make it work. Soooo, this week I have a "real" appointment, so I'm back on track with normal prenatal appts.

I will be having an ultrasound, but we are not finding out the gender. I haven't scheduled it yet but I'm guessing it will be in about 2 weeks or so. The MW did feel my uterus at the consult to see if I was measuring in the normal range, and I was. It's always good to hear things are good/normal.

#25 ·
So who wants to come over and teach me to knit?

I tried to teach myself once (or maybe it was crochet? Not really sure what the difference is) and was able to knit one row...but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to turn it and make a second row.

#26 ·
This week has been nice... Starting at 17w6d the baby began kicking me multiple times per day. Last night (18w4d) DH felt a few of he kicks after keeping his hand there a while. I am very skinny, so I guess that is why. The kicks are quite strong at times. For a while last night, I felt a lot of pressure and nudging on my cervix. That didn't feel so good!

Friday is my big ultrasound. Will I add to the epic ddc boy tally, I wonder?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.