Sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone still sleeping on their back? I go to sleep on my side but always end up on my back, which suprisingly hasn't bothered me yet. With my other 2 boys, by this time I would get short of breath and a pounding heart if I laid on my back. I suppose my body will tell me when it is time to stop, right?

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#2 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Yes, your body will let you know if there's a problem. I usually go to sleep on my side (or even halfway on my belly still) and generally wake up on my back.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#3 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 AM

Yeah, same thing happens to me! Fall asleep on my side, wake up on my back and then flip back to my side. I don't think it's too big a deal unless your body is saying so. My body is telling me it's uncomfortable now, so that's why I wake up and flip back!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#4 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can sleep between being on my back and on my side best. I lay on the side, put a body pillow behind me, then roll back onto the bodly pilly so my side is still on the bed, but my back is against the pillow. Then I stick a small pillow under my belly

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#5 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 11:55 AM

I'm a side sleeper, but I think it's the wrong side.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#6 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm still spending a lot of time on my stomach... I'm not a back-sleeper at all. Still trying to figure out the side-sleeping thing. Ouch. My neck is killing me!

Stephanie MC 11/22/06 Jackson born 02/05/10 MC 07/14/14
#7 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 12:56 PM

I asked my midwife about this, because like a lot of you I would go to sleep on my side and wind up on my back. She said it is not a big deal AT ALL and to not even waste a thought on it. Your body will tell you when/if things ever become an issue, so unless you're on drugs or drunk, you should be able to tell if your body is not happy with the position (short of breath, nauseated, lightheaded, etc).

She said if it really worries you, you can put a small pillow under one hip and that tips your body just enough to the side that it would never become an issue (as long as the position is comfortable.) I have a body pillow (snoogle) and use other pillows as needed to get as comfy as possible. It's like a pillow nest in my bed!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#8 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punquin View Post
I'm still spending a lot of time on my stomach... I'm not a back-sleeper at all. Still trying to figure out the side-sleeping thing. Ouch. My neck is killing me!
Check out the Snoogle. It's worth every penny, IMHO.

#9 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 02:24 PM

I'm rotating between my left side, my back, and my stomach (but with a pillow under my hip because my uterus hurts if I lay completely on my stomach). I think I'm going to try to go out and buy a whole bunch of pillows this weekend because right now I have just one for my head and one to curl up around. I have a tres tria coming that I'm going to use as a body pillow but the pillow nest idea sounds fabulous and I don't want to steal DH's pillows...yet.

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#10 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 PM

I never, ever drink coffee, but I am about 8 seconds away from making a cup right now. Of milk with coffee in it. (And even that will give me heart palpitations -- I am NOT used to caffeine, except in chocolate.)

Because I am SO TIRED! With the toddler sleeping in our bed lately, there is no room for me and my nest of pillows. I want to be gentle with the toddler because she has always been an awesome, awesome, independent, fast, through-the-night sleeper and is probably just going through a little phase. But now I am reaching a point of being very irritable during the day from lack of sleep, so tonight I will be moving her bed into our room. Otherwise...sorry, toddler, you're off to boarding school.

I had a point! Which was... Sleep? What is that?

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#11 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmoonmama View Post
Anyone still sleeping on their back? I go to sleep on my side but always end up on my back, which suprisingly hasn't bothered me yet. With my other 2 boys, by this time I would get short of breath and a pounding heart if I laid on my back. I suppose my body will tell me when it is time to stop, right?
I could have written this. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#12 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 PM

I'm a die-hard back sleeper, so until my body is screaming at me to stop, I will continue on my back. once in a while i start to feel minor pain, and switch to my side, but i can't stay that way all night.

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#13 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
I'm a side sleeper, but I think it's the wrong side.
The left side thing isn't even that big of a deal, there are fewer things to bother on that side (no liver or appendix), but it really doesn't matter. My ears and arms get sore from being lain on all night long if I don't shift.

I'm still sleeping on my back some, and even doing mat exercise (pilates) on my back still. I'm glad I'm still comfortable because my ears really do get very sore from lying, I guess I put a lot of pressure on my head.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#14 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 PM

I've been wondering the same thing, because I also shift all over in the night and usually wake up on my back. My OB said the same thing that someone else mentioned their midwife said - that it shouldn't be a problem at all, and that my body will tell me if I need to move.

Last night I was glad I was sleeping on my back - DH had a bad dream, and lashed out - actually it was a pretty direct punch, completely unconscious and unintentional - in the middle the night. The punch hit my arm - but if I'd been on my left side like I often am, it would have been my face!
#15 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Yes, I would like to get a snoogle or something like it. I am a side sleeper, both sides. I cannot sleep on my back it feels weird and hurts my back. I like to be curled up. MMM....sleepy.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#16 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 05:35 PM

Not that I've been getting much of that sleep you're talking about, but definitely don't worry. I tend to sleep on oen of my sides (I flip back and forth about a million times per night). I usually have my upper leg thrown over a pillow and lean into it so I am lying on the side of my belly and the front of my side... did that make sense? The insomnia may have confused it a little...

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#17 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaSomeday View Post
Not that I've been getting much of that sleep you're talking about, but definitely don't worry. I tend to sleep on oen of my sides (I flip back and forth about a million times per night). I usually have my upper leg thrown over a pillow and lean into it so I am lying on the side of my belly and the front of my side... did that make sense? The insomnia may have confused it a little...
I totally get it - I sleep the same way! Only when pregnant, though. DH actually sleeps that way all the time - I make fun of him and call it his "hump pillow."

#18 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 PM

OMG me too!

#19 of 24 Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Heh, hump pillow. I like it, Chessa!

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#20 of 24 Old 09-24-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Thanks for that link--I've been wanting some sort of maternity/body pillow! Is the stuffing in this one firm or fluffy?

Right now, I sleep with 7 pillows--one body-length pillow (my "hump" pillow, LOL! One that I lean against the headboard to rest my arm against, one under my head/neck, two behind my back, a fluffy squishy one to hug, and one extra just in case I lose one in the middle of the night!

I'm thinking that if I had a snoogle or somesuch, I could maybe decrease that number to maybe snoogle + 3 other pillows!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#21 of 24 Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 PM

I love to sleep on my belly (with one leg bent, sort of on my left hip position), but since DS nurses a lot at night I'm usually on one side or the other (depending on which boob he's on). I can lay on my back but it's just starting to make me feel funny.

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
#22 of 24 Old 09-24-2009, 03:26 PM

I use my body pillow & wedge it when I'm tired of my sides.

Rachel~wife to Keith since 5/01~mother to Georgia since 4/04~Bishop since 1/06~Zoe since 11/07 (my HBA2C!)~EDD 2/14/10 w/Baby surprise #4
#23 of 24 Old 09-24-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
Thanks for that link--I've been wanting some sort of maternity/body pillow! Is the stuffing in this one firm or fluffy?

Right now, I sleep with 7 pillows--one body-length pillow (my "hump" pillow, LOL! One that I lean against the headboard to rest my arm against, one under my head/neck, two behind my back, a fluffy squishy one to hug, and one extra just in case I lose one in the middle of the night!

I'm thinking that if I had a snoogle or somesuch, I could maybe decrease that number to maybe snoogle + 3 other pillows!
The stuffing is sort of in-between, but probably more fluffy. And yes, it cuts my pillows down to the Snoogle + 2-3 pillows! It's great, I love curling it around me, it's so comfortable! Then I wedge in other pillows as needed.

#24 of 24 Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I guess I'm behind everyone on pillows... I only have one barely there, super-thin pillow - same as pre-pregnancy. DH doesn't want to spend money on a body pillow or pg pillow.

Stephanie MC 11/22/06 Jackson born 02/05/10 MC 07/14/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page