Food again: Food Cravings Chart, and general nutrition/health - Mothering Forums
February 2010 > Food again: Food Cravings Chart, and general nutrition/health
aramat's Avatar aramat 12:27 PM 09-25-2009
Found this in another post on MDC: http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php

I wonder if it's quite accurate? Interesting, anyway.

Am working on a nutrition guide for myself. Going through the recommended vitamins for pregnancy [going with the one in Aviva Jill Romm's The Natural Pregnancy Book--which I very mistakenly lent to someone before I thought I'd get pregnant again!], and making a list of what's in the vitamin supplements I have, and what foods I normally eat (thanks, food diary!) and like that are high in the vitamins/minerals that I don't seem to be getting.

I also really, really, really, REALLY need to begin an exercise regimen. Anyone else HATE to exercise but manage to get it done? What do you do? We live on the 20th floor; I'm thinking I could just run down some stairs (notice I said only "down"), at least to get started. Also might be a good way to begin measuring progress. How many stories can I go down? And eventually, how many can I go back up?

Oh, I'm kidding. I'm never going to exercise ever. Gosh I hate it. HOW BORING! (Help?)

clicksab's Avatar clicksab 01:12 PM 09-25-2009
Not too sure about that chart...I'm not very good when it comes to nutrition. But I'm pretty sure that when I crave fried chicken or funfetti cake (what am I, a five year old?!) that I just plain want to eat those things because I LOVE them and know I shouldn't eat them!
I mean, I actually had a dream about fried chicken sushi. I'm not sure that exists, but I woke up wanting some.

As far as exercise goes, I completely understand! I try to make myself take DD on walks, but it rarely happens. I used to be a dancer, but I hate pointless exercise. If I'm not in a competitive atmosphere, I feel no reason to exert myself! But I know it's best for baby and me, so I'd better get my rear in gear.
gini1313's Avatar gini1313 01:30 PM 09-25-2009
I hear you on the exercise. I was running before I got pregnant with dd, but never got into exercising afterwards (I hate running so when I got out of it, it was hard to get started again), but lately I have felt like a lazy, tired slug. I used to walk up and down our stairs for 30 minutes a day, and have tried to start that again, but haven't had the stamina for it.

We live in the woods, so there are no sidewalks to push a stroller on, so walking happens at the speed of a 2 year old... not much exercise there. It is getting to the rainy season here (in the Pac Northwest), so walking outside is getting ickier, too. I am thinking of joining a gym so I can go there to walk on the treadmill a few times a week until baby comes and hopefully be motivated to go back afterwards. It is hard, though, because I will have to go in the evenings after dh gets home, and I am so tired by evening... but I really need to do something!!!!!
AustinKate's Avatar AustinKate 01:42 PM 09-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicksab View Post
As far as exercise goes, I completely understand! I try to make myself take DD on walks, but it rarely happens. I used to be a dancer, but I hate pointless exercise. If I'm not in a competitive atmosphere, I feel no reason to exert myself! But I know it's best for baby and me, so I'd better get my rear in gear.
I'm the same way with exercise...I used to be a competitive athlete, and it's hard for me to motivate myself if it's not in that atmosphere. But, I've really loved going to prenatal yoga classes, and I feel like those offer a good workout. So then if I can make myself supplement in between those classes by going on walks with DH, I feel like I get pretty decent exercise in on a weekly basis.
JustSimplicity's Avatar JustSimplicity 02:33 PM 09-25-2009
I've decided that during the morning sickness phase I mostly need to go with whatever sounds good, which for me was all my comfort childhood foods: macaroni and cheese, cheese and crackers, mcdonald's chicken nuggets, cream of wheat, etc. Luckily, I had such food aversions that I didn't eat too much on that "diet" and only gained 6 pounds so far.

Now that I'm slowly coming out of that phase, I'm starting to analyze what I eat more. I need to work in more veggies, especially dark leafy greens. The funny thing is that salads sound soooo good but making a salad sounds like way too much work. Today is actually officially my last day of work (I will continue volunteering there for about 15 hours a week), so I'm planning on having more time to make food at home. I am proud of myself for not eating out at all this week! Next week the plan is to start some green smoothies in the morning and salads for lunch. Yay for liking food again!

As for exercise, I haven't done anything yet, but again, with much less work to deal with my plan is to start prenatal yoga on Saturdays and walk on our treadmill a couple of times a week. I don't really like exercising but I figure I can walk on the treadmill and read a book.
NicoleS's Avatar NicoleS 02:40 PM 09-25-2009
I don't know how accurate the chart is...I agree with the wanting comfort foods for sure. Other stuff though - I'm taking a vitamin and a mineral supplement, so I don't feel like I should be too deficient in anything - and my iron levels are always great and things. So if I'm craving something like Coffee or a coke, I'm sure it's more the caffeine and wanting that buzz of energy. And I'm sorry, if I'm craving chocolate - no way a serving of legumes is going to help! I also saw that chicken was under a lot of things - and we eat a lot of chicken here...so I don't know...interesting but I wouldn't base my diet off of it.
OlyR's Avatar OlyR 02:44 PM 09-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gini1313 View Post
I am thinking of joining a gym so I can go there to walk on the treadmill a few times a week until baby comes and hopefully be motivated to go back afterwards. It is hard, though, because I will have to go in the evenings after dh gets home, and I am so tired by evening... but I really need to do something!!!!!
Ugh, I am the same way re: evening work outs. I really need to get back in the routine of going (we are already members at a really nice athletic club). I'm not big on t.v. watching while at home - but it does keep me going on a treadmill while at the gym so I go when interesing things are on (the news, a good larry king guest, sports event, or new sitcom) and that helps.

I use to go to their yoga/mat pilates and light weight lifting classes but didn't want to start figuring out the modifications needed for pregnancy (dumb excuse)
Keeta's Avatar Keeta 05:48 PM 09-25-2009
Right there with you ladies on HATING the evening workout. We're so torn about rejoining our gym - it's $90/month (!!!) and that's the cheapest plan we can do. There is childcare, but the reason we quit last time was that my toddler was really hating going. I need to try it again, he's aged up into a bigger kid room, so it might be more fun for him now...just not sure. Now I'm also paranoid about exposing us to more flu...

I've been trying to get out for walks in the morning with DS, but it's not quite regular enough to do the trick. Need more motivation! I should calculate the coffee-for-me and cupcake-for-DS costs in relation to the gym cost...it might be cheaper just to have a coffeeshop bribe every morning for the walk! Although it will soon start raining for 9 months here in Seattle, so who knows.

I wish it was easier! Hugs to all you mamas doing your best.
itsajenism's Avatar itsajenism 07:49 PM 09-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
Found this in another post on MDC:
I also really, really, really, REALLY need to begin an exercise regimen. Anyone else HATE to exercise but manage to get it done? What do you do? We live on the 20th floor; I'm thinking I could just run down some stairs (notice I said only "down"), at least to get started. Also might be a good way to begin measuring progress. How many stories can I go down? And eventually, how many can I go back up?

Oh, I'm kidding. I'm never going to exercise ever. Gosh I hate it. HOW BORING! (Help?)

I HATE exercising too, and seriously consider myself lazy.
My Midwife just got on me... again... about not exercising at all, so I'm thinking I'm going to take up swimming. At least try.
I've been a few times since being pregnant and it seems like the easiest thing for me to do since I have quite a bit of sciatica pain when I walk for long periods of time. Swimming doesn't cause me any pain, so that's probably my best option to get any exercise in.
aramat's Avatar aramat 11:23 PM 09-25-2009
Hmm, I don't know which thread to put this in, but I guess this one's as good as any.

Back to food...

I! Just! Made! The best soup (stew?) ever, just out of vegetables that needed to be used!

This makes enough stew for a family of four. Or for me to have three bowls tonight and maybe three bowls tomorrow.

**RECIPE!**

Ingredients that I used tonight:
2-3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped/minced
some olive oil
carrots (2)
tomatoes (6 small)
lettuce (1 cup)
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1 small head of broccoli (or 1/2 of a regular head)
salt to taste
a cup of black beans, and a cup or two of the water they cooked in

I make variations of this a lot (the only thing that never changes is the olive oil and garlic, and that the base is tomato), but haven't done it in a while. And something about this one just really, really worked. Even the toddler liked it (well, the broth, not the chunks of vegetables--she ate those raw while I was chopping, though!).

First I washed and chopped-up all of the vegetables. I had to do this anyway so I could freeze what wouldn't be used tonight. Then, very simple:
  • Garlic and some olive oil (as much as you want) in a big pot over heat until just before garlic browns.
  • Next comes carrots, because they take the longest to soften. Throw them in with just a little bit of water (just so they won't dry out/burn--but also keep the lid on) if the tomatoes are not ready yet, otherwise no water is needed.
  • Add all of the tomatoes. Then simmer, covered, on low heat until the tomatoes are pretty much 'melted'--very soupy and not too many actual tomato chunks left. Takes maybe 20-30 minutes? No idea, really.
  • It smells good, and it looks like soup. The soup is pretty much done now. All that's left is to throw in the other vegetables and as much of the black bean water as you want.
  • Add salt to taste.
  • I saved the broccoli for very last--actually put it in after turning off the heat, because I like it still a little crispy.

This is good by itself, or with brown rice, or with chicken, or with probably just about anything. It's good with almost any other vegetable, and nutrients are not lost by throwing away any cooking water!
Up