What are you reading? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-25-2009, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm finally starting to feel better, and now I have a voracious appetite for books. I just finished Your Best Birth and Baby Catcher. Both were great. Baby Catcher is AMAZING! What are you reading pregnancy/parenting-related or otherwise?

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#2 of 23 Old 09-25-2009, 10:32 PM

I am reading too many to list... Although I did list them in a really old thread! http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ighlight=books

I also found this great book review last week! http://wonderfullymadebelliesandbabi...read_4036.html

I am soooo jealous of all of you that have access to bookstores full of pregnancy stuff in English!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#3 of 23 Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 PM

Your Non-Toxic Pregnancy- this is the book I refuse to loan out, and refer to on a weekly basis. Crunchy bible! It's small, straightforward and easy to read but has the best content about non-toxic living out of nearly 20 books on the subject.

Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year- earth mother goddess vibe to it, has helpful information from a well qualified source. With this book I don't feel like I need any others on the topic.

Emergency Childbirth: A Manual- straightforward, non-fear based guide, uber practical. Has easy to understand information on identifying if something is wrong and then what to do about it. This book has taken the fear away from homebirth for me.

Of Woman Born: Motherhood as Experience and Institution
a radical feminist text. If you your a feminist you'll love it, if your not I'd skip it.

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#4 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Two on the go:

Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding - I need to brush up on newborn nursing!

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth - Didn't read this first time around.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#5 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 PM

I'm not reading any childbirth or nursing books. I'm reading Nick Cave's new fiction novel, The Death of Bunny Munro!

I read so many childbirth/nursing books when I was pregnant last year so I am giving them a rest.

Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding was a good one though. I'll bust that one out eventually since all babies are so different.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#6 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm also in the middle of Wicked by Gregory Maguire which is really good if you're into fantasy books.

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#7 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 02:07 PM

Crashing from Jan 2010 DDC...
We are stuck on baby name books right now...no name for this little one yet.

I am also reviewing my c-sec recovery books since I have a client who is preparing for a c-birth in early October.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#8 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 03:37 PM

Our library system doesn't have anything good in the way of natural birth/parenting books, so until I can afford to go buy some I've been hitting the fiction section hard. Jonathan Kellerman's "Bones" was awesome and I wish they had more books by him. Ready to get a few trashy romance novels, they always keep me busy.

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
#9 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 04:49 PM

Just finished Michel Odent's The Nature of Birth and Breastfeeding, which is totally AWESOME! And now reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I totally love it too, but skipped the birth stories b/c I had already gotten sick of them reading Spiritual Midwifery. They are wonderful stories, but the intimacy stuff with their husbands just makes me jealous!

#10 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post

I am soooo jealous of all of you that have access to bookstores full of pregnancy stuff in English!
ditto.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#11 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 08:16 PM

Wait - I'm supposed to be reading something other than bedtime stories to my toddler?
#12 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
They are wonderful stories, but the intimacy stuff with their husbands just makes me jealous!
Oh, gosh! Me, too! My husband is a really good guy and I love him, but we are just NOT like those hippies! And of course I WANT to be like them when I'm reading the stories...

You're totally right; I adore those books, but that aspect bugs me every time!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#13 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
Oh, gosh! Me, too! My husband is a really good guy and I love him, but we are just NOT like those hippies! And of course I WANT to be like them when I'm reading the stories...

You're totally right; I adore those books, but that aspect bugs me every time!
Absolutely. Part of the reason why I loved reading Dr. Odent's stuff right afterwards. He emphasizes privacy for mom and usually (historically/biologically speaking) dad's role is as protector, 'guarding the door' from the outside, IYKWIM.

#14 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 11:34 PM

Your pregnancy week by week, 6th edition
http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-...d_bxgy_b_img_a

The happiest baby on the block
http://www.amazon.com/Happiest-Baby-.../dp/0553381466

Drs. Sears Breastfeeding book. Haven't started it yet, but will in the next few weeks
http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-.../dp/0316779245

There are a few more that I'd like to read, but we'll see if I have the time to get to them. I probably should read at least one birthing book before bub is due.

Jackson Steven born 02/24/10! <3
#15 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Eclipse, the third installment in the Twilight series. This will only be my third time reading it.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#16 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 03:06 PM

I need to start reading A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon for book club this Sunday! As far as baby books I haven't read any this time around. I'm going to look into Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, my library has it!

Mama to three

#17 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 04:42 PM

I usually have a novel plus several others going at the same time.

I just finished Persuasion (Jane Austen) and Tuck Everlasting (Natalie Babbit), and am currently reading The Continuum Concept, Special Delivery by Rahima Baldwin, and Birthing From Within.
I also read Spiritual Midwifery, but didn't really care for it much. Way too much interference from the midwives in my opinion.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#18 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 09:09 PM

LOVE The Continuum Concept. Read it a while back and started rereading it recently. Agree with you on Spiritual Midwifery as well.

My hold on Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves just came in!

#19 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know this is related to what are you reading related to child birth and child raising. But I just read a beautiful book I wanted to pass on. It is called the Seduction of Silence. It is a novel that spans 5 generations of women- mostly in India. And it was just so lovely. such a beautiful book. And it talked quite a bit about pregnancy and birth, describing the birth stories of the different generations of women in the family, one of whom was a homebirth midwife in England. Lovely book- the author is Bem Le Hunte.
#20 of 23 Old 09-30-2009, 05:42 AM

I ordered the aviva jill rohm book...because of your other list...this BETTER be good, as I have to import it from the USA.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#21 of 23 Old 09-30-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
I ordered the aviva jill rohm book...because of your other list...this BETTER be good, as I have to import it from the USA.
I really did love that book. I still refer to it via google books from time to time, although the info I am looking for is usually blacked-out.

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#22 of 23 Old 09-30-2009, 04:06 PM

I am reading Birthing From Within. http://www.birthingfromwithin.com/book_testimonials

: : ::
#23 of 23 Old 09-30-2009, 04:49 PM

I'm reading The Discipline Book by Dr Sears. Garrin and I have way different opinions and I'm trying to pull some good info out of it to share with him - he'll never read a book on the subject.

I've read a million pregnancy and childbirth/child rearing books. I refer back to them or go back and read parts from time to time.

Outside of that, I am working my way through the In Death books by JD Robb. Love them! I'm about to finish Loyalty in Death right now.

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page