Relaxed baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm one of the ones with a baby not moving too much yet, I'm 19 weeks. The past week or so I've been feeling at least some movement everyday, but it's not at the same time or consistent.

I remember my previous pregnancy feeling movement earlier and often. At one of my appointments they were asking how often I felt movement and I just laughed because it was pretty much nonstop. And, DS was never one to like napping and just recently learned it's okay to sit down for a bit. He is always on the go. So now I'm wondering if this baby inside of me will be a "napper" and like relaxing! How nice of change that would be. Maybe some personality traits come out before birth!

Mama to three

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This is my first so I have no comparison, but I have been wondering the same thing about my baby. I am 19 wks and 5 days and no significant movement really. Tonight I felt what may have been the baby turning over but I am not sure.
Often times I worry about it but sometimes I just say- well, I have a relaxed baby.
That is really interesting to hear that your first baby moved around a lot both in and out of the womb. I like that idea that each baby has his or her own thing going on.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:20 PM

I didn't have any movement until 20 weeks. And then it was like one day he started moving and hasn't really stopped!

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 AM

This baby has been much less active than either of my previous ones. I first felt movement at about 12.5 weeks, and felt it sporatically after that. Now I feel movement several times a day and can sometimes feel it with my hand from the outside, but it is so much less frequent than either of the others. I have been hoping that means this baby is mellower?

Ds moved ALOT... all the time. Constantly. Get my point? He was/is very high needs/spirited. Dd moved less, but still alot. She is mellower than ds, but not what I would call mellow (nor spirited/high needs). This baby has long periods of no movement at all, then some movement for a while, then another long period with no movement... So... maybe he is napping? Although, he does tend to move more at night, so maybe he is just going to sleep all day and be up all night, huh?

It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in personalities that I could begin to tell while they were still inside me...
Old 10-06-2009, 11:38 AM

At what point does it become an actual concern if you don't feel your baby moving yet? I have read that it can be as late as 22 weeks, is this right? I may be feeling a few things- but I don't know if the things I occasionally feel are the baby. Otherwise- still waiting.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:42 AM

Remember that even if you aren't feeling anything, that doesn't mean your little one isn't moving...just that you can't feel it. Whether or not you actually feel anything also has to do with uterine position, where the baby is, your body characteristics, etc.

Of course if your kiddo changes its normal patterns, that can be a reason for concern...if he/she is usually very active but suddenly gets quieter...that can be a reason to talk to your midwife or OB. But some babies are just not usually all that active.

Tricks to feel something: drink juice and lay down. The blood sugar rush and the decrease in YOUR movement can make movements more noticeable.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 PM

I am actually starting to get nervous about this. I will be 20 weeks tomorrow. While I am getting bigger, I really don't feel any movement at all yet. then I went and freaked myself out by googling this and reading bad outcomes other people had in this situation
I just want to feel the baby move! I feel like 20 weeks is pretty late to not even feel flutters.
sheesh- maybe I will get an appointment with the midwife to see if we can do the doppler again. I hope it is all okay.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:31 PM

OP, I felt the same way around 18 weeks - I posted something similar to this last week some time. I am now 19 weeks and 4 days. We had the U/S yesterday to check everything out, find out the sex, etc., and since then I have felt more movement. In the middle of last week, right after I posted my thread, I felt a big kick at the top of my belly. When they did the U/S yesterday, my placenta is in the front, completely normal and the could be cushioning some my kicks, but I'm still feeling them in the front and on the sides... very light, but they are there.

I remember, with DS, that I didn't start really feeling him until after we found out his gender. It's sort of like "hey, mama - I'm in here - now you know what I am"....

It'll happen, mama!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM

Katie -- Don't even think about starting to freak out until after 22 weeks. You'll feel it this week or next! Are you feeling anything that you think *might* be the baby? With my first two babies, I dismissed feelings as "gas bubbles" for a long time...now with the third, I know they aren't and weren't gas bubbles--only baby. It's normal to worry, but I bet you and baby are just fine.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 10-06-2009, 04:16 PM

thanks aramat.
okay- so I had a few hours there of freaking myself out. Did some unfriendly googling. But then I got to hear the HB loud and strong and I am feeling fine again.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:19 AM

Katie--
I'm almost 22 weeks and I'm still not sure if I've felt anything yet! I had my anatomy scan at 21 weeks, everything looked beautiful. I checked with my doppler this morning, strong heartbeat at 150 beats. At my u/s, they did say I had an anterior placenta. And I ALWAYS have a lot of gas, so maybe that's masking the movements for me, as aramat was saying. I can't wait to feel something definitive!
Old 10-07-2009, 05:41 AM

I am finally feeling some movement daily but is erratic and has long periods of non movement.... (I am 20 weeks wednesday) .....now with my fourth I had a very relaxed baby...so much so that I called my midwife once to tell her of my worryness and then later in the pregnancy I went in for some non stress(?) tests to make sure he was ok....so he was pretty laid back inside but he is not laid back outside LOL
I also have I think this extra padding (read fat)...that maybe masks the movements some......who knows

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 PM

I am driving myself a little nuts over this right now! I am thinking all kinds of bad thoughts and having some emotions about this- saying- why isn't this baby moving?! I guess the reality is that there is still a few more weeks for it to be in the normal range. I do sometimes feel gas like things but I think it is actually gas .
I had the doppler again yesterday and the hb was strong- and at 140, which mw said is normal.
But she wasn't able to hear it with the fetascope.
anyway- I am kind of nervous, but really glad to hear of those of you who had a similar experience and saw on the u/s that everything is good.
I keep being like- is that feeling it? But I don't know. All I can do is either wait or do an u/s. So I am just going to wait and hope for the best and try not to freak myself out too much. though I sometimes am .
Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 PM

I guess it is quite likely that I have an anterior placenta. I just looked it up and it said it is not a problem to have one and that the placenta usually moves during pregnancy, and the only effect is that it makes it harder to feel the baby's early kicks.
so maybe that is it.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I guess it is quite likely that I have an anterior placenta. I just looked it up and it said it is not a problem to have one and that the placenta usually moves during pregnancy, and the only effect is that it makes it harder to feel the baby's early kicks.
so maybe that is it.
Also, it sounds like this is your first baby. You may be feeling it and just not know what you are feeling. And, your size can affect how/when you feel it.

I am on my 3rd and am relatively slim. I felt it really early, but wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't known what I was feeling, kwim? And, even after I felt it, the baby was moving a really lot when we were trying to get the heartbeat with the doppler (we could hear him moving), and I couldn't feel it, so I don't always feel it.

If your baby has a good heartbeat and all looks well with your pregnancy, I wouldn't worry about not feeling movement. Just because you don't feel it (or recognize it), doesn't mean it isn't moving!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:05 PM

thanks gini and everyone for reassurance! Yeah- a couple of times we have used the doppler at the midwifes and she gets a good hb and then I guess the baby moves because she said- the baby moved! And I didn't feel it.
I am pretty slim (though now I have a big baby belly ) and I have pretty strong abdominal muscles. I wonder if that effects it? Also, it is true that maybe I just don't know what it feels like. thanks a lot everyone for reassurance.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I am pretty slim (though now I have a big baby belly ) and I have pretty strong abdominal muscles. I wonder if that effects it?.

Lol, well, I sure don't have strong ab muscles anymore, so maybe my flabby abs feel it better than your buff ones???
Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 PM

Interestingly- after all of this, I think I may have felt him/her tonight! Seriously. I was sitting on the floor a bit ago playing cards with my husband. And I started feeling these- twinges- in the lower uterus area. I think that was it Anyway- I believe it is. Plus, I read tonight in what to expect when you are expecting that it is normal to still not feel the baby for a couple of weeks. All in all I think I am past my freak out
Old 10-07-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yay Katie! I am glad you are feeling something. I'm sure it was the baby. Another thing I've noticed is I feel movement a lot more when I have a full bladder.

-------

I've notcied a lot more movement today and realized I am 19w4d, which made me think of busymomma's post. I hope this baby keeps it up.

Mama to three

Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 PM

Nicole730 I am glad you are feeling more movement too . Yay for our babies.

User Tag List