How are you nursing Moms doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be 20 weeks tomorrow (wed) and I can say the nipple pain is truly unbearable YIKES....however it only is worst when my 2.5 yr old latches on and then maybe a couple minutes afterwards.......it is worst the longer I go without nursing......OUCH.....but he would not understand if I tried to tell him what is going on and I don't want to push him to wean yet.....now my 5 yr old I am still nursing but she may skip a day or so...I do let her know what is going on and she seems to understand....
Also my milk is GONE...totally.....well I am a bit dehidrated...no matter how much I drink (some days) although at times I don't drink enough even my ob commented on it last appt....surely that didn't help my production....I noticed a month ago I could barely squeeze a drop when I was trying to express on one of my kids ouches.....and a couple weeks ago I noticed nothing left, nada, zilch, zero all gone....so my toddler's interest is mostly just in the morning or before bed, I guess more like a pacifier thing since he is obviously not getting any.....
Back to the nipple pain I have forgotten if it begins to decrease later in the pregnancy or till after delivery?
How is everyone else doing?

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#2 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 AM

I'm 20 weeks today and nursing my 14 month old is getting almost unbearable! I didn't have a lot of pain in the beginning, mostly just strong irritated/annoyed feelings which have gotten a little bit better, but now the nipple pain when she first latches on is getting bad. Yeeeowch! Reminds me of having to brace myself before latching her on when she was a newborn. Crikey. I hope it gets better at some point and that I don't have 20 more weeks of it to look forward to!

My milk is all gone too but she still nurses for naps and bed time, I can't really handle any more than that at the mo. If she stays interested I can see her nursing like a newborn once my milk is back though, lol.
#3 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 AM

I have been completely out of milk for about a month now and when it first completely disappeared - it was so painful. Not just nipple pain, but pain in my breast from his sucking on nothing. Now, it's not so bad. Maybe your nipples just need to adjust to no milk? He still nurses once or twice a day - not tied to bed or nap time. Just when he asks or I am feeling really tired and want to lay around for a bit. I will keep it up as long as he want to - I would love to see the look on his face once there is milk in there again. He would be sooo happy. Oh and DS is 18 months.

Mama to three

#4 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 AM

I am almost 23 weeks & the nipple pain while nursing has been unbearable this whole pregnancy. DD just turned 2 years old & is nursing to take her nap & to fall asleep at night, but she also seems to be lingering on me those times more than ever & it hurts so bad.

Even worse than the nursing pain though...the pain in my nipples/breasts now that the cold air has arrived. OMG. I have had days that it felt like knives being driven into my nipples just because it was cold out.

A couple saturdays ago, we were out early in the morning & I was driving. We had to switch so that I could sit in the passenger side with my hands cupped warming myself. And I had to hold the seatbelt down for 20 mins because if it even grazed them, I could cry.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#5 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 AM

We are down to only before nap - it is the only way to get him to sleep for a nap and I am not ready to give that up! It is painful when he latches on and for a min or so after. Every random once in a while he'll ask to nurse and I just say we're saving it for nap and he is totally fine with that. He goes to bed fine at night without nursing but in the day it is totally different and he'd just get up and play - when I lay down and nurse him, he is asleep in ususally less than 5 minutes and naps for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs, so I know he still really needs them! Ahhhhh!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#6 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post

Even worse than the nursing pain though...the pain in my nipples/breasts now that the cold air has arrived. OMG. I have had days that it felt like knives being driven into my nipples just because it was cold out.
Me too!! What is up with that!?!?

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#7 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 AM

yeah-i thought i was so excited about fall coming & not being huge in the summer this time around...but damn! didn't count on cold air being the enemy.

i do remember that last pregnancy, we found out we were expecting a few days before a trip to mexico for a friend's wedding...(it wasn't planned-we weren't even married yet-already paid for an all inclusive trip that i had originally planned on drinking A LOT on!!!! haha). it was feb & there were windy, chilly days on the beach & the pain was awful. I thought something was wrong with me & finally mentioned it to my sis in law & she assured me my nipples were just going to be sensitive etc.

but after that, i didn't have issues. I guess I figured the cold sensitivity was more of an earlier pregnancy thing...boy was i shocked when fall hit here.

i actually wondered about using those hand warmers you put in ski gloves!!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#8 of 20 Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I am glad to see a few of us still nursing, I think if we keep it up, the look on their faces when we do have milk will be priceless......only a few months to go

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#9 of 20 Old 10-08-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post

A couple saturdays ago, we were out early in the morning & I was driving. We had to switch so that I could sit in the passenger side with my hands cupped warming myself. And I had to hold the seatbelt down for 20 mins because if it even grazed them, I could cry.
I made one of those seatbelt covers for this. It's two layers of fleece and about 12 inches long. Velcro closure along the whole length. I move it from side to side, depending on where I am sitting. I also cut out a few circles of fleece to put in my bra. Not absorbent, but since I am not leaking they totally work as a nipple protector.

Mama to three

#10 of 20 Old 10-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When DS2 (22 months) nurses, I don't really have any pain. My right side is more sensitive, and sometimes it's slightly uncomfortable when he nurses there, but it usually eases up pretty quickly.

DS1 (4 y/o in a few weeks) is down to nursing once every few days, and when he nurses, I don't like it at all. It's not even so much painful as it is a huge aversion; I just want to take him off and throw him (not because I have any feelings against him, the nursing just feels that weird). I don't think it has nearly as much to do with his age as it does with the fact that I'm pg and that his latch and mouth are much different than DS2's. Thankfully, he just wants some reassurance, so five seconds is good enough for him, and plenty enough for me!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#11 of 20 Old 10-09-2009, 11:42 AM

We're down to just bedtime and occasional night time. DD fell asleep a couple times with DH (with me in the house) and with me without asking to nurse, so I'm totally getting my hopes up. I need to convince DH to go in during the night more often, because she's really close to not needing it then.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm hoping the taste of colostrom will turn her off from it permanently. I don't think I could handle tandem nursing with a 3.5 yr old. I would be totally fine with an occasionally sample after the baby arrives, but the idea of her 'needing' it when I have to nurse the baby 24/7 just freaks me out.

#12 of 20 Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm hoping the taste of colostrom will turn her off from it permanently. I don't think I could handle tandem nursing with a 3.5 yr old. I would be totally fine with an occasionally sample after the baby arrives, but the idea of her 'needing' it when I have to nurse the baby 24/7 just freaks me out.
You're probably not in the minority. I will want to nurse DS when the new baby comes, he'll be 22 months, but I want it to be on my terms (once a day). There is no way I want to be nursing him everytime the new baby eats or overnight. That's why I am the one offering him milk right now. He always says yes when I offer. When he asks, I sometimes say yes, sometimes say not right now. He fusses for a second and then goes on with playing when I say no. He has to get used to the "not right now" answer before new baby arrives.

Mama to three

#13 of 20 Old 10-09-2009, 04:48 PM

I am 21 weeks and nursing my 2.5 yr old. IT hurts and I am trying to wean, but he still nurses about 4 times a day. It's a slow process, but I don't want to tandem nurse.
#14 of 20 Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 AM

My 17 month old has been nursing only twice a day until about a week or two ago when he went down to only once. Yesterday he only nursed for about 2 mins, I know I still have milk but I don't think it is much at all. I would like to nurse him till he is 2 but the though of tandum isn't appealing. I am just going to let him lead and see what he does.
#15 of 20 Old 10-11-2009, 04:17 PM

I'm still nursing my son, who will turn 2 this next weekend. It doesn't hurt anymore, and I have lost my milk as well. He likes to when he's unsettled or at night. I am okay with tandem nursing, actually kind of want to, but I'm concerned about juggling the nighttime feedings. He likes to nurse a lot, whenever he wakes, and the new baby will need to nurse a lot. I'm at a loss as to how it will all work out, but we'll roll with the punches.

Might want to try rubbing a liberal amt of lanolin on your breasts before nursing; might help soothe the tender flesh and provide some lubricant for nursing besides saliva. Just a thought...

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#16 of 20 Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 PM

I'm 20 weeks (today!) and still nursing my 2.5 year old. My milk is gone, and no colostrum. And it's driving me NUTS. It's annoying the whole time. I hope it gets better- and soon!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#17 of 20 Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 PM

I'll be 24 weeks on wednesday. I'm still nursing my 2.5 year old. It doesn't hurt, but I've been out of milk for at least several weeks. I don't know when I lost it, as my dd didn't seem to notice or care. She nurses probably about three or four times a day now, which is less than she nursed even a few months ago. It's mostly when she wakes up in the morning, before nap, before bed, and probably once or so during the day.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#18 of 20 Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 AM

I am 24 weeks and DS is 17 months, still nursing strong. He nurses about 2-3 times during the night (he has never slept through), in the morning when he gets up, and around 3-6 more times during the day, plus for naps (which are long nursing sessions, like 15-30 minutes). And he nurses to bed...

I still have a good amount of milk. It dipped a bit in supply in the very beginning, and then again around 18-20 weeks, but it's creeping back up steadily. I'm not sure if it's switched over the colostrum at this point but I even leak occasionally. DS likes it no matter what it is!

He'll be 21 months when the baby is born (give or take) and I am excited for him to have more milk. He's been through a lot this pregnancy, with me and DH separating and now divorcing, so I'm glad I can give him that yummy rich milk in four months. My goal for nursing is 3 and I have no worries that we'll make it, even with him going to his dad's for one overnight biweekly at 21 months and one overnight weekly at 2. I have a feeling I may be nursing a 4 year old on my 25th birthday...

I'm also ready for him to gain about 5 pounds of fat when the new baby/new milk comes!!! He's a skinny mini (not even 21 pounds at 17 months), but he loves his milkies.

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
#19 of 20 Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillypop View Post
He'll be 21 months when the baby is born (give or take) and I am excited for him to have more milk. He's been through a lot this pregnancy, with me and DH separating and now divorcing, so I'm glad I can give him that yummy rich milk in four months. My goal for nursing is 3 and I have no worries that we'll make it, even with him going to his dad's for one overnight biweekly at 21 months and one overnight weekly at 2. I have a feeling I may be nursing a 4 year old on my 25th birthday...

I'm also ready for him to gain about 5 pounds of fat when the new baby/new milk comes!!! He's a skinny mini (not even 21 pounds at 17 months), but he loves his milkies.
If DS1 hangs on a little longer, I'll be nursing a 4 y/o on my 25th birthday.

Your post reminded me of DS1 on the day that my milk came in with DS2. DS1 popped off the boob, looked at me, and said, "Mmmmmm, milk! YUMMY!" like he hadn't tasted it in a looong time. That pretty much confirmed my feelings that my milk had been gone for some time, even though he had still been nursing like there was no tomorrow.

Good point about your toddler gaining weight when the baby comes! I forgot about that, and DS2 could definitely stand to get some extra meat on his bones. He's maybe 23lbs at 23 months, and he's tall, so he just looks soooo skinny. He needs 2T pants for the length, but they are all falling off of him (except for ones with the adjustable waists; my favorite!). It's quite a contrast from his older brother, who was always two sizes ahead for the first two years, and weighed this much at 6 months!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#20 of 20 Old 10-15-2009, 03:14 PM

I'm 23 weeks pregnant and nursing my 25 month-old anywhere from 3-7 times a day. It's going fine--no pain at all, and my milk is still there. Wahhoo! I do think we're going to try to start shaking up nighttime routine, though--- right now my LO always nurses to sleep, and I'd like him to have some more flexibility, so we're going to slowly start introducing some changes. Miraculously he started sleeping through the night around his 2nd birthday (it just happened, after 2 years of waking every 1-2 hours), so I'm no longer stressing about night weaning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page