Feeling winded after two or three sentences!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that things have been pushed up and my lung capacity has decreased, but I can barely get two or three sentences out without trying to catch my breath! UGH!!

Anyone else???

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 19 Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM

YES! I've had this too and it's super annoying.
#3 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
YES! I've had this too and it's super annoying.

Lat night we were watching a sitcom and I almost died laughing, like I couldn't catch my breath after. Crazy!

My family = me + dh & ds +
#4 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 AM

Saw this on new posts.

Check your iron! We talked about it not too long ago ( see here ) in the Dec. group.

Either way, it stinks! I get that feeling pretty early on and it takes forever to go away!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#5 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlet View Post
Saw this on new posts.

Check your iron! We talked about it not too long ago ( see here ) in the Dec. group.

Either way, it stinks! I get that feeling pretty early on and it takes forever to go away!
I take prenatals every day and I have had several blood and urine tests and nothing has been mentioned to me about my iron being low. It comes and goes. I think I just need to slow down and take it easy....maybe move at a snails pace instead of a race cars pace!!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#6 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Iron, eh? Interesting... I know my iron is usually low... It's also one of those things that does not absorb very well in pill-form. (Or if you get it from only plant sources, or if you consume iron at the same time as calcium.) Why is iron so fickle??

In the US, Floradix is a very good, highly-absorbing iron supplement. Expensive, but I'm planning on ordering a bottle or two to have here for the third trimester and especially post-partum.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#7 of 19 Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 AM

me too. I just took a big gulp of floradix...and I haven't even read that link yet. I think it's baby/uterus pushing on diaphram or maybe lungs too. No idea.

I'm ALL crampy. Sleeping is a b*tch, ladies! I wake up and my whole body feels achy (and I've got a pillow between the knees) and whatever breast I slept on the most is all engorged.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#8 of 19 Old 10-18-2009, 05:43 PM

iron is fickle, and with this pregnancy and the last my prenatal isn't enough. Iron has the potential to be easily toxic, that's why our bodies don't absorb it well. The more you consume at once (once daily vitamin) the less you absorb. Its our bodies way of avoiding overdose... in order to get enough iron, I have to do it through diet. Eating big piles of greens at least five x week works well for me.

One son , 3 years old. One husband, nine years of love. Expecting A Girl Feb 25, 2010
#9 of 19 Old 10-18-2009, 10:33 PM

I am anemic and I feel this way all the time!

Floradix is expensive for sure! I am trying the pills (they worked alright in my second pregnancy) but will get the floradix if necessary.

38y.o. wife to the best husband on earth for the last 19 years and Mommy to 5 going on 6. DUE Feb. 2, 2010. We delay and selective vax. I love BF'ing and CD'ing.
#10 of 19 Old 10-20-2009, 02:06 AM

yes I had been told iron is a possibility since I am always short of breath and since I am usually low in it, it made sense to me...
I work 10 hour days talking on the phone and some days is really challenging!!!!

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#11 of 19 Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 AM

This doesn't happen to me while talking, but sometimes after I turn over in bed, I'm huffing and puffing for the next five minutes. Not my favorite feeling. (And I'm sure my iron is fine, as of my midwife appointment about a week ago.)

Enjoying every minute with our new son, Henry, born 2/9/2010 :
#12 of 19 Old 10-20-2009, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
me SOmetimes I feel great but sometimes- like now- I feel super short of breath like breathing is an effort. I was wondering about iron too. I hate this feeling, it sucks!
#13 of 19 Old 10-21-2009, 08:51 AM

the floradix REALLY helped me with this. Thanks for that suggestion!

#14 of 19 Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 AM

I haven't gotten around to doing my bloodwork yet, so I can only speculate that my iron is indeed still low. I try to eat well, but, I'm just not good at it. I hate eating! Except ice cream, which is the opposite of helpful when I need iron instead of calories and calcium.

So I'm getting this feeling like I can't fully catch my breath/can't breathe in deep enough every once in a while--usually at night or when I lay down. Is this the feeling? It does seem to go away if I stuff my face with chicken...

Jul511riv, I am jealous of the Floradix in your refrigerator.

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#15 of 19 Old 10-22-2009, 05:43 AM

aramat,

It's funny but even mainstream doctors here seem to know what floradix is. That being said, NO ONE has even heard of the pill form in Israel and furthermore I can't get it imported no matter how many health food stores I ask about it. I *think* you might be able to find it in Brasil (that's where you are, right?) but you might just have to really hunt to find. Rosemary Gladstar has a recipe for it. I think Yellow Dock Root (if you can find the translation/latin name of that and go to a local herb shop) will be able to help you.

Now that we are out of the flora, I've taken to continually drinking a teaspoon of backstrap molassess in a cup of water all day long. Maybe you could do that? Might help a bit. If you eat meat, organ meats are high in iron. I'm vegetarian so that doesn't fly for me.

On a totally personal OT note, I'm SOOOO homesick, grrrl. That's after 4 years in this country. I spent most of yesterday trying to convince dh to move back to the USA. He only gave it a year and a few months before moving us all back here. So far, he's not having it.

#16 of 19 Old 10-24-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
aramat,

It's funny but even mainstream doctors here seem to know what floradix is. That being said, NO ONE has even heard of the pill form in Israel and furthermore I can't get it imported no matter how many health food stores I ask about it. I *think* you might be able to find it in Brasil (that's where you are, right?) but you might just have to really hunt to find. Rosemary Gladstar has a recipe for it. I think Yellow Dock Root (if you can find the translation/latin name of that and go to a local herb shop) will be able to help you.

Now that we are out of the flora, I've taken to continually drinking a teaspoon of backstrap molassess in a cup of water all day long. Maybe you could do that? Might help a bit. If you eat meat, organ meats are high in iron. I'm vegetarian so that doesn't fly for me.

On a totally personal OT note, I'm SOOOO homesick, grrrl. That's after 4 years in this country. I spent most of yesterday trying to convince dh to move back to the USA. He only gave it a year and a few months before moving us all back here. So far, he's not having it.
Do the Floradix pills work as well as the liquid? I have been looking for dandelion and yellow dock, but haven't found them yet. I know they're around here somewhere... Hopefully my midwife can recommend a slow-release iron if I can't find the Floradix here.

And I miss the US, too. 10 months in Brazil now... 10 lo-o-ong months. I'm going to try to talk my husband into starting a savings account so we can do yearly 'vacations' in the US. "For the kids!"

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#17 of 19 Old 10-25-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
Do the Floradix pills work as well as the liquid? I have been looking for dandelion and yellow dock, but haven't found them yet. I know they're around here somewhere... Hopefully my midwife can recommend a slow-release iron if I can't find the Floradix here.

And I miss the US, too. 10 months in Brazil now... 10 lo-o-ong months. I'm going to try to talk my husband into starting a savings account so we can do yearly 'vacations' in the US. "For the kids!"
I think the Floradix pills work just fine. Maybe the liquid is more fast acting? I dunno, but during my first pregnancy (in the usa) I took the pills and they brought my iron right up so I feel that they were completely effective, ykwim? If you are importing, you might want to import the pills (less chance of breakage or spillage). For a while, I wanted to get my iron up really fast (it was super low) and so I was taking 3 pills, 3 times a day (which is 3 times the dosage...you take the pills 1 pill 3x a day if you are using as directed) and I used like that for months with no side effects whatsoever (except higher iron). So I guess what I'm saying is that it's non-constipating, gentle, effective, just like the liquid.

All that being said, I'm SOOO homesick. In another month and a half it will be 4 years that I have lived here. I've been through another pregnancy here which was also really rough and I was homesick but I went home for a visit during the pregnancy and this time I totally won't be able to do that, so I've basically decided that in about a year or so I'd like to move back. There are some loose ends that I would like to tie up over there and I think we can do it in about 3-5 years. Once dh agrees we can move forward with the plan, but so far I've been spending a lot of time doing research and gathering information about the things I would like to accomplish over there and getting everything in order. A year-1.5 years seems like an awful long time off, but in the big scheme of life, it's not so much and maybe if I start planning now and keep it ongoing I'll feel less homesick while I'm doing it.

If you can get out, even to a public park, just to get near a tree and breathe in some air, it could really help a lot. The other thing I just found was an old journal and journaling could be great for you too, even better you will have a written documentation of how you felt and reasons why visiting the USA is important to you. Make sure to journal how you feel when you are there for a visit as well.

(((hugs)))

#18 of 19 Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 PM

I found a Brazilian liquid iron supplement today!! Just in time, too, because this shortness-of-breath business has been getting worse and worse. Very uncomfortable in my chest when I'm laying down or even reclined. Couldn't even fall asleep last night.

I need to get my bloodwork done so I know iron really is my issue, although I'm sure it is. ...And maybe even the yeast issues are from low iron... Hmmm...

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#19 of 19 Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 AM

WoW. GREAT point about the yeast! Let us know.

I was so happy when I learned the word for "iron" in Hebrew. It suddenly opened up whole new worlds for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page