My "24" week appointment... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 10-16-2009, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had my appointment yesterday, was just too lazy to get on and update y'all.

Urine is clear - finally! My OB said we'll just have to watch it. I guess if you get one kidney infection they put you on a low dose course of antibiotics for the rest of your pregnancy, so I'd really rather avoid that. I can't imagine what a mess that would make of my body!

I gained 3 pounds in 4 weeks. For me that's pretty good - last 4 weeks I gained 10 pounds and generally from this point forward I can expect about a pound a week until I hit 36 weeks or so. That puts me at 13 pounds total, so if I'm careful I might be able to avoid passing 25 pounds (though only gaining 20 like I hoped doesn't look so likely).

BP is good, baby's heart rate is good - he kept trying to kick the doppler off. I'm measuring between 25 and 26 cm, so 1-2 weeks ahead. Which is pretty much anticipated, baby boy was already measuring a week ahead himself at 18 weeks and we are expecting him to be similar in size at birth to my DS - about 9 pounds. Still anticipating him to make an early arrival as well.

They had a sign up that kids under 12 are not allowed in the L&D or the 6th floor (which I believe is either for the PICU families or for the moms on hospital bedrest). However the nurse told me that family members are still allowed on the post partum floors (provided they are healthy of course). Fine by me - I had no desire to have my kids with me at delivery. I did ask my OB about the flu, particularly the swine flu. They are not recommending the shot, and are even hesitant to prescribe Tamiflu unless it is really needed. Basically I'm just supposed to practice good flu prevention like avoiding sick people and washing hands. If I do get sick (and he said with the flu it would be 100 times worse than your typical pregnancy cold and would involve the whole body - fever, chills, respiratory, diarrhea, vomiting, etc.) that L&D can test for the flu, if it is positive they'll start treatment (since the treatment is the same regardless of the type of flu you have) while they wait to see if it is swine flu. If one of my kids gets the flu and I'm concerned I'm more than welcome to go in as well, but overall he's not too alarmed by it.

I now start the every 3 week rotation, which I thought wouldn't be until next time, but oh well. So I'll go back at 27 weeks, at which point I will also do my GD test (lovely bottle of orange soda is chilling in the fridge as we speak, I get to drink it at home as long as I show up 15 minutes before the one hour mark). Since my last 1 hour (with DS) was borderline but then the three hour test was totally clear, he said that if I was borderline again they wouldn't make me do the three hour - only if my results were really high.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-16-2009, 04:56 PM

Sounds like a good appt! A friend of mine just delivered at the hospital here and policy was the same for no kids - because of all the flu stuff. Her little one couldn't even visit pp. I can't believe that we are already at the point of having closer appts - I have an appt next week and then start the 3 week visits - seems like the countdown really starts then!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#3 of 3 Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 PM

My hospital hasn't started that yet, but I'm waiting for it. Nice appointment

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page