Let's talk... PLACENTAS! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ate mine in a smoothie right after it was out. DP hacked at it with our kitchen shears and blended it up (he used about 1/3 - 1/2 of the placenta, made 3 glasses of smoothie which I chugged). Tasted good (soy yogurt, frozen strawberries, orange juice, and the placenta).

I felt and still feel wonderful. After the first day or so the bleeding was minimal ... never a whole pad in even 6 hours. Bleeding stopped completely at about 3 weeks post partum. Mentally I am very clear and no crying jags or depression or feeling like I'm hormonally imbalanced or out of whack. My milk came in strong about a day and a half after the birth. I had oversupply with DS, and make tons of milk this time around, too (enough to feed my voracious 22 month old, the newborn, and I pump about 8-12 oz. on the days the 22 month old goes with his dad).

With DS's placenta, we kept it after his birth and when he was a year old we buried it in a big pot under a cherry tree sapling. My mom has it in her sunroom, and someday we'll transplant it into the yard.

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
#62 of 77 Old 03-13-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I had mine dried and encapsulated and started taking it on day 2.
I started out with taking 6 a day (2 x 3) for about a week and a half, then 3 a day (1 x 3) for about another week, and then cut down to one in the morning.
I haven't taken any for the past few days and am starting to feel the difference.

There was also two days in there where I missed taking them and could definitely tell (especially by the second day) how much of a difference taking it makes.

- I have massive over supply which is causing over active letdown. (I have yet to find a pump I will respond to so I'm trying to regulate it which is a pain in the ass). If I get a 4 hour stretch of sleep at night, I will wake up with my shirt soaking wet with breastmilk.
Baby never had jaundice and was up 2 pounds from his birth weight at 2 weeks PP.

- By day 2, before I started taking them, I could already go 12+ hours without changing my pad. Once I started taking them, I was pretty much only spotting. By week 2 I was done, minus seeing brown blood (a small streak) when I wipe really randomly.

- No baby blues or PPD.

- Energy!! I had to keep being reminded that I *just* had a baby and should rest.

- At my 4 week check-up two days ago, my midwives asked if I was sure I had a baby because of how quickly I've bounced back. My uterus is already back to normal and I don't feel like it's only been 4 weeks.

When I missed taking them for 2 days in a row early on, I felt much more tired and my emotions were all over the place.

Now that I've stopped taking them, I'm starting to feel a little more tired again and while I'm not overly emotional, I don't feel as "evened out" as I did while taking them and can tell it's getting a little worse every day (although, there are some other things compounding that).
I'm going to start taking one a day again.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#63 of 77 Old 03-13-2010, 04:09 PM

So what is it in the placenta that supposedly does all this? The extra iron? The hormones? (Just curious, because I'm not having any of the symptoms y'all are describing when you don't take your pills so I guess I'm doing ok)

I'm a bit bummed. I was going to donate the cord blood like I did with my other kids, but they don't have anyone there to collect it on Friday evenings so it just went to waste.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#64 of 77 Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 PM

I had mine encapsulated by dh and a friend. I only ended up with 90 some caps. I thought it would be more than that. I have been taking them 3x a day 2 caps morn, 2 caps lunch, 1 cap dinner. I found that the very first time I took 2 I was slightly wired feeling and could not sleep. So I've been taking the 1 cap with dinner. Now that it has been almost 2 weeks I don't feel like I should cut back. I feel good, when I get enough sleep. Bleeding is pretty much gone. Emotions are fine, but I could see them going south. I am at a much better place pp now then I was with dd. Anyone know if you have to wean your self off or just stop cold turkey? Just counted, I have 41 left.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#65 of 77 Old 03-14-2010, 01:50 PM

I had a raw bite the day after Juju was born; made a smoothie some weeks later but couldn't drink it; have swallowed some frozen pieces here and there but haven't noticed a difference.

My first two weeks postpartum were great; lots of energy and minimal crying and good milk supply, but i was walking back and forth to the hospital to see Juju then -- once I stopped that exercise, PPD set in. And at 5 weeks, my milk supply dropped (still don't know why yet).

I wish I had a food dehydrator, b/c the frozen pieces really gross me out.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#66 of 77 Old 03-14-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngirl View Post
Anyone know if you have to wean your self off or just stop cold turkey? Just counted, I have 41 left.

One of my midwives, who encapsulated mine, said it's best to wean off of them if you take them in pill form. You'll be less likely to have a dramatic change in hormones.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#67 of 77 Old 03-14-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
I wish I had a food dehydrator, b/c the frozen pieces really gross me out.
Can you get empty capsules? Maybe putting the frozen pieces in a capsule would help?

#68 of 77 Old 03-14-2010, 05:20 PM

I didn't get to ingest mine. My fluid was yellow, indicating that she'd passed meconium at some point back, so they took it to the pathology lab. They would have let me have it after they were done, but I wouldn't have been able to eat it after they messed with it so I just let them throw it away.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#69 of 77 Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
So what is it in the placenta that supposedly does all this? The extra iron? The hormones? (Just curious, because I'm not having any of the symptoms y'all are describing when you don't take your pills so I guess I'm doing ok)
Wow, that is really fortunate to not experience any "problems" post partum. Good for you!

I think the extra iron helps with the tiredness for sure, and probably helps with keeping a person feeling mentally aware. I'm guessing the hormones in it help with milk supply and stopping the bleeding sooner. Also with the baby blues and PPD.

Mama to three

#70 of 77 Old 03-15-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
Wow, that is really fortunate to not experience any "problems" post partum. Good for you!

I think the extra iron helps with the tiredness for sure, and probably helps with keeping a person feeling mentally aware. I'm guessing the hormones in it help with milk supply and stopping the bleeding sooner. Also with the baby blues and PPD.
My milk did take about 48 hours to come in - they said that was pretty normal when you have a c/s though. He never dropped down far enough in weight for anyone to worry. Only complaint was that I had spotting forever - I only had bleeding for maybe a week PP, and even that wasn't super heavy, but I had spotting for 5 weeks...I've never had an issue so far with PPD. And oddly I didn't get the baby blues this time around, and I'm not sure why. That's why I was asking if it was an iron thing or something else...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#71 of 77 Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:

I'm a bit bummed. I was going to donate the cord blood like I did with my other kids, but they don't have anyone there to collect it on Friday evenings so it just went to waste.
We were planning the same, but when the midwife looked at the complicated instructions for collection she didn't want to try. *sigh* In her defense, she was still pretty sick and feverish and just wanted to get home, but it was sad that it didn't get done.

I plan to make up for it by giving blood even more. You only have to wait six weeks postpartum! Thinking about milk donation, too, once the baby is a little older and I feel like my milk supply has stabilized.
#72 of 77 Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post
We were planning the same, but when the midwife looked at the complicated instructions for collection she didn't want to try. *sigh* In her defense, she was still pretty sick and feverish and just wanted to get home, but it was sad that it didn't get done.

I plan to make up for it by giving blood even more. You only have to wait six weeks postpartum! Thinking about milk donation, too, once the baby is a little older and I feel like my milk supply has stabilized.
When I asked at the hospital when DD2 was little they told me that baby had to be WEANED at least 6 weeks?

#73 of 77 Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
When I asked at the hospital when DD2 was little they told me that baby had to be WEANED at least 6 weeks?
Maybe it depends on where you donate. A friend of mine donated tons of breast milk to the hospital while her son was in the NICU.

Mama to three

#74 of 77 Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
Maybe it depends on where you donate. A friend of mine donated tons of breast milk to the hospital while her son was in the NICU.
I meant for donating blood. I don't produce enough to donate breastmilk.

#75 of 77 Old 03-17-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I meant for donating blood. I don't produce enough to donate breastmilk.
Ahh, yeah I see that now.

Mama to three

#76 of 77 Old 03-18-2010, 03:07 PM

Heh, no, I wouldn't have been able to donate at all for the past four years if you had to wait until they were weaned! You do have to be extra sure to get enough fluids when you're breastfeeding, but I started giving blood again when DS1 was two months old, and never had trouble with my supply. I just drank even more than usual. If you have supply problems, of course, you might want to wait.

American Red Cross guidelines just call for waiting 6 weeks after pregnancy, regardless of breastfeeding. In Canada they say 6 months, in Australia it's apparently 9 months, and they do want you to wait until the baby is getting most of their calories from other foods.
#77 of 77 Old 03-18-2010, 09:14 PM

Oh cool then. Our church is doing a blood drive in June, I'll be able to donate then. I've wanted to since I found out I'm O+, but with the restriction I was misinformed on thought I couldn't.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page