Let's talk... PLACENTAS! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone planning on eating theirs?

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#2 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 01:35 PM

Omm Nom Nom Nom

Most definately. It helped me out so much after my last kiddo. Plus I love freaking the guys out at work Muahahahaha.

Although I'm thinking about encapsulating it or at least turning it to powder because I ended up throwing a good chunk of it out after it got freezer burned.

But yes please pass my placenta...I'm ready for a smoothie

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#3 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Most definitely eating mine. Encapsulating it.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#4 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 01:51 PM

Yes! Although my birth team is not entirely supportive... I'm the only one who believes in it.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#5 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
Yes! Although my birth team is not entirely supportive... I'm the only one who believes in it.
My husband was skeptical when I said something about it with DS2. He thought I was nuts. He had to "prepare" it for me after birth and he noticed how it immediately perked me up. I was able to leave the house and go shopping 2 days after birth with energy to spare whereas with DS1 it took me almost 2 weeks. Now he's a firm believer

Not to mention with the issues I've had since my mom's death (anxiety and depression) its even more important that I have it this time.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#6 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 02:18 PM

With our last baby, dh cut it up for me and we froze it. Whenever I wanted, I popped a tiny frozen placental piece as a pill. It helped with energy. We'll probably do it again with this babe.
#7 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 02:34 PM

We'll bury ours - although I may end up eating a bit after the birth depending on the bleeding.

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#8 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Can someone give me the reader's digest version on what it does if you eat it? And how someone would go about "getting" it if they are giving birth in a highly medicalized hospital? This is intriguing! Looking for food for thought (pun totally intended).

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
#9 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 PM

I'm not sure if I'll encapsulate mine or not. I still have a lot of pills from my last placenta...

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#10 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaonthefarm View Post
With our last baby, dh cut it up for me and we froze it. Whenever I wanted, I popped a tiny frozen placental piece as a pill. It helped with energy. We'll probably do it again with this babe.
That's a good idea. I may try that this time. My DH is totally supportive and wouldn't mind cutting it up in little pieces for me but I don't know if he could carry out the whole encapsulation process on his own. I found someone to encapsulate it for me but she wants $200 bucks to do it. I wouldn't mind saving that $200 bucks and just eating the frozen pieces like pills.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#11 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficus View Post
Can someone give me the reader's digest version on what it does if you eat it? And how someone would go about "getting" it if they are giving birth in a highly medicalized hospital? This is intriguing! Looking for food for thought (pun totally intended).

-- Can help stop hemorrhaging... and from what I've read about other Mama's doing it, it also helps with lochia.

-- Helps with post partum despression.

-- Helps restore your body with vitamins.

-- I've also read that it helps your milk come in faster.

I'm sure I'm missing some...? It's been awhile since I've looked up any information (last time I really looked was during my pregnancy with DS - 5 years ago), and I haven't had the chance to start looking again.

I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to get the placenta if you are having a Hospital Birth. That was one thing I had completely forgotten to ask when I arrived at the Hospital when in labor with DS.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#12 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely want to eat it this time!

I'm still trying to decide if I'll just cut it up and freeze it or encapsulate it... and if I'll try to do it myself or have someone do it for me.

Does anyone know if how you eat it makes that much of a difference?
raw -vs- frozen -vs- dried... etc.

#13 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 08:38 PM

I don't know if anybody knows enough about this stuff to say whether it's better raw/frozen/dried/cooked... I've not been able to find much of anything about the differences so far, but would love to know, too!

Planning on icing a chunk right after delivery and swallowing it or holding it in my cheek. (If I can get anyone to agree to help me with it; I'm a bit nervous to ask for something so outrageous!) Then cut and freeze some for smoothies, and hopefully dry the rest if we have a dehydrator by then. Our freezer doesn't seem to be the best, so I don't want to risk any bits going to waste with freezer-burn.

Any thoughts on consuming the whole thing fast (couple of weeks) Vs. slow and steady (months/years)?

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#14 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Any thoughts on consuming the whole thing fast (couple of weeks) Vs. slow and steady (months/years)?
Good question! That hadn't even crossed my mind, but now I'm curious myself.

I'm going to try to find some information later when I can get more than a few minutes at a time on the computer.

#15 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 PM

I remember with my first baby my midwives mentioned they used to make placenta bloody marys...seems like a good way to mask some of the taste. I'm vegetarian and although I know that the placenta is the one meat souce that comes from no harm, I still have trouble stomaching the thought of eating meat.

I've heard that the placenta pills are good to save and take during menopause.

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#16 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM

I found this site today and have been looking around a bit. Maybe it can help answer some peoples questions... http://placentabenefits.info/index.asp

Tiffany love.gif , wife to DH geek.gif, mom of DD1 10/09 energy.gif, DD2 4/12/13 baby.gif, and two dog2.gif
#17 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 09:23 PM

I want to eat it, but I don't know if I will be able too. Maybe I will try the tiny pieces frozen method...that seems to be the easiest sounding. DH is kind of creeped out by the idea, and I don't know if my mom could stomach cutting it. My dad might be able to handle though, but he definitely thinks it is crazy. I didn't have PPD last time, but quite a bit of "brain fog" or "momnesia", it would be nice to see if the placenta helps with that.

Mama to three

#18 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficus View Post
And how someone would go about "getting" it if they are giving birth in a highly medicalized hospital?
So I found that you will have to adhere to the hospitals guidelines. It's possible your hospital doesn't have any though.

Here is a link to get more information about Hospital Release of Placentas.

I filled out the little form to get information and this is what I got: Hospital Release Article w/ link to liability waiver.

#19 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 11:32 PM

I'm not going to eat mine, but I am going to donate it to train cadaver-sniffing dogs.

Blair, mom to the amazing Nora (8/06) ribboncesarean.gif, sweet Anneliese (2/10) vbac.gif, and super Henry (8/12) vbac.gif

#20 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know if anybody knows enough about this stuff to say whether it's better raw/frozen/dried/cooked... I've not been able to find much of anything about the differences so far, but would love to know, too!

Planning on icing a chunk right after delivery and swallowing it or holding it in my cheek. (If I can get anyone to agree to help me with it; I'm a bit nervous to ask for something so outrageous!) Then cut and freeze some for smoothies, and hopefully dry the rest if we have a dehydrator by then. Our freezer doesn't seem to be the best, so I don't want to risk any bits going to waste with freezer-burn.

I plan on doing the chunk right after birth as well. (We have so much in common! )

As far as length of time for consumption, this is probably where the different methods will come in. Ie, if you want to save it for menopause, encapsulation is probably your best bet. But I would totally go ahead and keep it in frozen 'pill' form if you will be done with it in the first 6 months or so... But as far as nutritive value, I would think raw (or frozen/raw) would be preferable to dried, which would be preferable to cooked. But again, depends on when it would be consumed. That's why I think taking a little bit 'fresh' immediately is a safe bet to get the most benefit right away, followed by the other methods when the time is right for them. If that makes any sense.

#21 of 77 Old 10-25-2009, 11:46 PM

Hoping to encapsulate mine. I don't think I can stomach it any other way!

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#22 of 77 Old 10-26-2009, 01:08 AM

I plan to, but haven't decided what I'm going to do. Either grab a chunk raw right away, freeze little bites, or fry some up. Maybe a smoothie.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#23 of 77 Old 10-26-2009, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to, but am not sure if it'll be safe for me. I'm on anticoagulants, and I'm not sure if it's accumulated in the placenta or not. If my placenta is full of lovenox and heparin I doubt it would help with hemorhage.....thought it might not hurt either because supposedly heparin's not metabolized when taken orally. I'll have to give it some thought.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#24 of 77 Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 AM

I am encapsulating my placenta. My midwife starts the process here. Although I don't know if she will now that I want the placenta left attached for around four hours (still toying with lotus) I had severe PPD last time and I from what I have read and the women I have spoke with I think encapsulation is the way to go.

My hubby has said I am not allowed to share this tidbit with everyone. I think it slightly disgusts him even though all other animals do it.
#25 of 77 Old 10-26-2009, 02:19 PM

I am the only one who finds the placenta eating concept just stomach-turning? If I was speaking American I would say it "completely grosses me out". Maybe it's because I am vegetarian. I have never even heard of it before I started reading this discussion board. I think I need educating; is it a common thing? Does it really have benefits?
#26 of 77 Old 10-26-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsie View Post
I am the only one who finds the placenta eating concept just stomach-turning? If I was speaking American I would say it "completely grosses me out". Maybe it's because I am vegetarian. I have never even heard of it before I started reading this discussion board. I think I need educating; is it a common thing? Does it really have benefits?
No, it "grosses me out" too, at least when I think about sticking it in a frying pan on my stove. If it were encapsulated, I don't think I would feel squeamish, but we don't have anyone to do that around here. I'm pretty sure I couldn't stomach it, but I'm trying to convince myself to maybe freeze a little for something. We're planning on burying it.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#27 of 77 Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 PM

The only way I could consume mine is in capsule form, and I am an unabashed carnivore....rare steak and all!

Since I have three placentas (the oldest is 5 years old!) languishing in my freezer along with good intentions of planting, I am re-thinking my plans with this one....my midwife is wanting to learn how to do encapsulation, so I'm thinking about giving her my old placentas....she can practice on them, and if she thinks the freshest one would still be edible, I might start taking it now. I don't think I'd care to mess with the 5.5 and 3.5 year old ones....she can practice with them if she wants, then toss them!

But if she's willing, I'd really like to try the capsules post-partum this time. Especially if this baby is a boy, as I suspect....I've been hearing (from my midwife...I need to do some more research) that there may be a connection for some women between the baby's sex and the mother's post-partum experience, ie depression, etc. Indeed, I can say objectively that I've had a harder time adjusting and feeling good after the births of my sons.

Anyway, considering that I'm already having a hard emotional time with this pregnancy/baby, I suspect that I should take every measure possible to protect against PPD.

And although I've always had an easy time with recovery from birth (physically speaking, that is), with four other very active kids to care for, I figure anything that even has the potential to help with the healing process is worth a try!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#28 of 77 Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 PM

I think I could probably bring myself to eat it - raw meat of any kind is pretty gross when you sit down and look at it! (Ever looked at a raw slice of liver?)

But I want to donate mine for stem cells, like we did last time.
#29 of 77 Old 10-26-2009, 11:04 PM

eating it raw, immediately after birth (well, once it's out and the cord's stopped pulsing and been cut and all that), as much as I can...like all the other animals out there do it! doing a UC, DH probably won't be here, it'll just be me and the doula and a friend to watch DS...and they all know and support my plan to eat it.

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
#30 of 77 Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsie View Post
Me! And I'm no vegetarian. But I also can't even bring myself to taste my own boob juice either. Body fluid thing I guess. Something that comes out of me should not go back in to me. I've also not had any of the issues that placenta eating is supposed to "cure" so am a little skeptical as to the effectiveness of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post

But I want to donate mine for stem cells, like we did last time.
Here too - we've donated cord blood with all three kids and plan to do so again if we are able.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page